• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will SSB4 suffer from item overdose

D

Deleted member

I don't care too much for items. If I want to have a fun match with friends on misc. stages, I would turn items on. If I want to have a serious match on a stage like Battlefield, I would turn items off. It's not like the items make or break Smash.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think I'm going with what Problem2 had said: Brawl contained simply too many overpowered items that turned the match way too easily on someone's favour (Dragoon, Golden Hammer, Soccer Ball) or just really annoying (Deku Nut, Super Spicy Curry, Smart Bomb) or even really useless items ( Smoke Ball, Spring).

Pokemon to me are still more balanced and perhaps more well-suited summons than Assists. I wonder if the latter's made more better than Brawl, most plain sucked if they had any way of A.I akin to actual fighters.
You're a nub if you think Soccer Ball and Dragoon are too strong

Dragoon - You need to combine all three pieces to even use it and even then, it can still be dodged. Just pay attention to who has what piece
Soccer Ball - Just be careful. It takes some skill it utilize it to it's full potential. Just be wary of it and use it when you can. You can hit it off the stage if it's such an issue.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
The way that Brawl's target test utilized items was really cool, and I remember how people would compete for the fastest times to get on the official smash bros dojo. Sadly I didn't have wifi at the time.
Give us a target test stage editor. Send a new one every day like they sent stages every day in Brawl. Would be pretty fun, as I see no other use for items.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I think I'm going with what Problem2 had said: Brawl contained simply too many overpowered items that turned the match way too easily on someone's favour (Dragoon, Golden Hammer, Soccer Ball) or just really annoying (Deku Nut, Super Spicy Curry, Smart Bomb) or even really useless items ( Smoke Ball, Spring).

Pokemon to me are still more balanced and perhaps more well-suited summons than Assists. I wonder if the latter's made more better than Brawl, most plain sucked if they had any way of A.I akin to actual fighters.
I thought the Soccer Ball, Deku Nut, Smart Bomb, and Spring were all fine.

Hell, Soccer Ball might be my favorite item.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well since casuals are a larger percentage of the total people who buy smash, it doesn't make since to ruin their fun when, like others have said, you can turn items off. I personally love items, especially when they are tied to an actual franchise.

Theoriginaltzw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aurious
3DS FC
3394-3662-6284
I don't see items becoming a problem as long as you always have the ability to turn them off.

Dott

Smash Ace
If you don't like items:
go to options
turn them off.

Problem solved.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Items add both a fun and hectic environment.
I loved Brawl's plethora of items, it helped to keep things fresh.
Like characters, you needed to master all of these items.
Many claim that items are cheap and whoever using them automatically has the upperhand.
But in my experience that is never the case.
It takes skill to successfully know how to use items.
Know that perfect angle that a player gets hit to when you throw a Star Rod at them.
Throwing a fan down at someone to hit them up into your spike.

Sure there are obviously some cheaper items like Hammers and Stars, but most of the items are useless if not used properly.
I for one am excited for the new items we are getting and I hope there are more than Brawl.
Items don't always level the playing field, depends on how you use them.

Seriously guys, please read the first post. He's not saying he doesn't want items. He doesn't want useless or ridiculous ones back. He wants good items like the Parasol, Launch Barrel, Red Shell etc.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Melee to Brawl had some item cuts. DK's Directional Barrel Cannon, Red Shell, Flipper, some other things.

I'm going to assume there will be some item cuts from Brawl to Smash 4, but with loads more items added.

So...yeah there's going to be a lot of items. Old and new.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Whoa don't be dissing Mr. Saturn. He's one of the only few that will heal you up and let you rest for free.

I can't say there is any issue with over saturation of items because you can change which items show pop up. The only thing I would suggest is more customization as far as items go. You should control the rarity of items like you could with music and brawl, and I still don't know why we haven't been given the option to choose what characters poke balls or assist trophies can generate.

BOING!

What do you think it would take to get Saturn font on smash boards?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Seriously guys, please read the first post. He's not saying he doesn't want items. He doesn't want useless or ridiculous ones back. He wants good items like the Parasol, Launch Barrel, Red Shell etc.
I know, (most of us) did read it, but you can still turn items off that you dislike. The screw attack and Mr. Saturn were some of my favorite items so I don't like calling them "useless." Smokeball however... well... it just makes rainbow smoke.... so that is pretty useless. Also with OP items you can still turn them off. However all the new items shown thus far are not generically boring and look pretty fun.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I hated the dragoon it changed the focus from fighting to collecting so I just turn them off. anyway yeah items like the smokeball are pretty bad :p

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Less items? **** that. I expect every item from every smash game present. Losing the parasol and the red shell was inexcusable!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You're a nub if you think Soccer Ball and Dragoon are too strong

Dragoon - You need to combine all three pieces to even use it and even then, it can still be dodged. Just pay attention to who has what piece
Soccer Ball - Just be careful. It takes some skill it utilize it to it's full potential. Just be wary of it and use it when you can. You can hit it off the stage if it's such an issue.
To me they turn the battle bit too much to the one's favour that has 'em or are just too hectic to make the battle enjoyable when around (enough to make me go turn them off).

I have grown to dislike the Soccer Ball after getting hit by it countless of times from most random times possible. Not just by opponents. And it packs too much power when on fire. So disorienting.

Dragoon again, it's like playing somewhat cheap stock-off game. Dunno if I liked either winning with it or losing, it's really quick way to OHKO to me and once again takes away from the battling itself way too much.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Lol the fan has from time to time been proven to be the most godly item in the world!

Although ho ohs and entei poke balls are soo cool.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
But wouldn't you rather have it that you can freely turn all the items on because they are fun and useful, rather than have to turn most of them off because they're rubbish?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
But wouldn't you rather have it that you can freely turn all the items on because they are fun and useful, rather than have to turn most of them off because they're rubbish?
This is how items should be designed.

We shouldn't struggle to find 10 good items to have in a match. It should be a struggle to pick items if we were only limited to a max of 10 items turned on if there were, say, 50 different items.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
This is how items should be designed.

We shouldn't struggle to find 10 good items to have in a match. It should be a struggle to pick items if we were only limited to a max of 10 items turned on if there were, say, 50 different items.
But your taste isn't necessarily everyone else's. If I play with items, I play with items. I do not mess around man, fans, Mr. Saturns, whatever kind of shell just... everything! Flood the stage with stuff I say! So the more items in the game the better.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
But your taste isn't necessarily everyone else's. If I play with items, I play with items. I do not mess around man, fans, Mr. Saturns, whatever kind of shell just... everything! Flood the stage with stuff I say! So the more items in the game the better.
I guess you missed the point. Its not about not having a ton of items, which we should. If you were limited to just 10 items in a match (which I disagree with), it should be extremely difficult to just narrow it down to 10 items (if we had too, which I'm glad we don't).

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I guess you missed the point. Its not about not having a ton of items, which we should. If you were limited to just 10 items in a match (which I disagree with), it should be extremely difficult to just narrow it down to 10 items (if we had too, which I'm glad we don't).
Honestly I think maybe I did misread it but that conversation was pretty poorly written frankly.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Lol, like you're going to find grammatically correct sentences and paragraphs here on smashboards... Lern2Read between the lines. :p
I'm trying! I've been watching the show with the guy from Star Trek and everything!

R0Y

Smash Master
Just set the items and the item amounts to your desires. Pretty simple, you can do that online with friends in Brawl (thought not randoms,) so I'm sure that will continue.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
A random note regarding coolness factor of items. They were IMHO fairly fairer in SSB64 than Brawl and Melee because of combination of two factors:
  1. They always fell from the sky, then (except Starman) bounced quite high, then they landed at some place in the stage you could guess because of the bounce momentum;
  2. Vast majority of them didn't activate before they landed; in fact catching items in mid-air was non-existent.
Again, this is my opinion, but when everybody knew, say, hammer will fall somewhere on the left part on the stage, this created interesting situation a moment before it landed, and it usually wasn't of the completely random kind - you got informed of it a second before. Too bad even the falling part isn't probably going to be an option.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
I just want them to nerf the throwing power of most items, homerun bat could make so many cheap kills that way.

Top Bottom