• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will SSB4 suffer from item overdose

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
As we all know, Brawl suffered from a rare disease called item overdose, a condition in brawler fighting games where there are simply too many items to choose from.

OK, on a serious note, Brawl had way too many items, a fact that even a ****ty casual player like me will notice. I especially hated the really pointless ones like the Gold Hammer, Mr Saturn, the Screwattack and the Smoke Ball. Why are all of these ****ty items in the game? Seriously.

I have been wondering lately about whether or not this might be the case for Super Smash Bros 4. Thankfully, not many items have been shown yet, and the ones that have been are the good ones like the Raygun, the Koopa Shll and the Fire Flower. I hope Sakurai bins all the pointless items in favour of even more cool assist tropies.

Morbi

Scavenger
I actually like excessive items to add variety into the game and diversify matches. That being said, I don't think he would scrap too many items. So, I speculate that we will still have to suffer from item overdose.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
As we all know, Brawl suffered from a rare disease called item overdose, a condition in brawler fighting games where there are simply too many items to choose from.

OK, on a serious note, Brawl had way too many items, a fact that even a ****ty casual player like me will notice. I especially hated the really pointless ones like the Gold Hammer, Mr Saturn, the Screwattack and the Smoke Ball. Why are all of these ****ty items in the game? Seriously.

I have been wondering lately about whether or not this might be the case for Super Smash Bros 4. Thankfully, not many items have been shown yet, and the ones that have been are the good ones like the Raygun, the Koopa Shll and the Fire Flower. I hope Sakurai bins all the pointless items in favour of even more cool assist tropies.
Mr. Saturn had been in since Melee...

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Given that invidiual items can be turned on/off and well as how often they appear in the previous games and likely this one, I don't really know what too many items have much impact.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why can't we have a few joke items here and there.
What's the big deal?
I didn't insinuate that we couldn't have a few joke items here and there. I was just clarifying his point, it didn't have to do with what games they were in. It had more to do with the notion that they are useless items. I personally love useless items like the smoke ball, so fun.

Given that invidiual items can be turned on/off and well as how often they appear in the previous games and likely this one, I don't really now what too many items have much impact.
This. Just turn off the items you don't like/want or turn the frequency down.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah, gotta disagree with this. I would kinda like as many items as possible to be in, provided there aren't too many that are too similar/useless. I'm only gonna turn on whatever ones I like anyway, so I'd rather have more options than not enough.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't have a problem with too many items. The more the merrier.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Items what are them? On a serious note some competitive players in brawl practised with items such as diddys bananas. Having good item play is important for some characters.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Bring in the items Sakuri! Bring in all dem items, for casual play it makes for exciting match. But still keep the same item options.:yeahboi:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
We've only seen around 6 items so far, let's not jump to conclusions.

That being said, I really don't care either way because I usually turn off items.

Reznor

work in progress
I haven't used items since 1999 so I really don't care :awesome:

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
I see OP's point. Yes you can turn them off, but at the same time it seems like they went for quantity over quality. Superspicy Curry and Unira just pale in comparison to items like Pokeball and Beam Sword.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I see OP's point. Yes you can turn them off, but at the same time it seems like they went for quantity over quality. Superspicy Curry and Unira just pale in comparison to items like Pokeball and Beam Sword.
At some point the ideas are gonna start getting more specific. Most of the obvious things like "gun" or "bat" are already in the game. I personally can't think of a single new item idea.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
The way I see it, if the items are even on, the game is a joke anyway, might as well have fun. Nothing funnier than spamming the Fan on kids. They often quit the room the next game though, lol.

Only things I honestly did not like in Brawl were the "fake" Golden Hammers that squeak and ****, the Super-Spicy Curry and the Poison Mushrooms.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Given that there has always been an option to turn off the items you don't wan't I don't really see to many items being an issue. I would say more items means more variety you can always mix and match till you find a combination of items you like to use. Or if you don't like them at all you can turn them off. If I'm playing for ****s and giggles I'll have them on but if I'm playing against someone who's actually good at the game they'll be off because it's more fun playing competitively against someone who's good at the game with no items just skill with your character. So I guess what I'm saying is they could triple the items and I would be fine with it as long as you can individually turn them on and off.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I guess I can see the complaint that if they just want to shove in as many items as possible, some might suffer from lack of originality. However, the three new ones (that's it right?) that they've shown so far certainly make me believe that Sakurai is committed to providing some cool new additions.

He means he doesn't want more useless items, in lue of ones that are awesome, like the Red Shell and DK barrel and the Parasol. I agree with him, some of the items in Brawl were kinda dumb and controlled the stage way too much.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
You ever try turning individual items off?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
We need more middle-ground in item strength. Brawl had so many over powered and near useless items. They need more items that promote interaction. I really feel that the final smashes should have been built the same way, but only a few of them are truly interesting.

Even the pokemon in Brawl seem to fall into 1 of 2 extremes. You have all the broken legendaries as well as pokemon like Weevile, but then you have Wobbuffett, Gulpin, Gardevoir, and Munchlax which barely help with stage control at all.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I didn't say I didn't like items, and I do often turn the ones I don't like off, but too many items end up looking like a waste of space. I mean, I like a few jokey items here and there, like the Fan, but there were way too many useless ones in Brawl, like the Gold Squeaky Hammer, and the stupid Smoke Ball. Not many of them were particularly creative either, which sucked.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think I'm going with what Problem2 had said: Brawl contained simply too many overpowered items that turned the match way too easily on someone's favour (Dragoon, Golden Hammer, Soccer Ball) or just really annoying (Deku Nut, Super Spicy Curry, Smart Bomb) or even really useless items ( Smoke Ball, Spring).

Pokemon to me are still more balanced and perhaps more well-suited summons than Assists. I wonder if the latter's made more better than Brawl, most plain sucked if they had any way of A.I akin to actual fighters.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
I want my beloved Parasol back. Nothing highlights my day quite like Bowser daintily floating down like an autumn leaf. ;-;

But yeah, bring on the items. When I'm not playing smash for the seriouslies I'm in it for fun FFAs with my friends.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion

I think Sakurai is trolling you. Yesterday you ask about item overdose, today Sakurai reveals a new item. Gotta love it, gotta love it.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
I guess I can see the complaint that if they just want to shove in as many items as possible, some might suffer from lack of originality. However, the three new ones (that's it right?) that they've shown so far certainly make me believe that Sakurai is committed to providing some cool new additions.
actually not three
1: hocotate ship bomb thing
2: metal diver
3: x bomb
4: beetle
so close though

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I don't see what's wrong with them. Turn them off! But it's unique. Also, opponents can use them, so how is it for noobs? That's just an excuse for people that are killed by items.

McNasty

Smash Rookie
I don't see what's wrong with them. Turn them off! But it's unique. Also, opponents can use them, so how is it for noobs? That's just an excuse for people that are killed by items.
I understand how items can be annoying sometimes but yeah like you said, if anyone has a real problem with them than they can just turn them off.

Top Bottom