• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Smash Ultimate get a new joke/out of left field character, and if so, who do you think it'll be?

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree with those saying it's always an important character in Nintendo's legacy. After Duck Hunt's inclusion (which I've secretly supported since pre-brawl), it's kinda hard to see what else is big, unless we go into big video game characters in general. In that case you have characters like Master Chief and Lara Croft, but does anyone really want them? Nah, so we'll eliminate them. And then there's "4th party" characters like Goku. Even after all that's happened, I still think that's off limits.

Objectively speaking, we could look at the most successful Nintendo series in terms of sales.

Let's start with the most successful Nintendo series according to this list. As you can see, of course Mario is #1, followed by Pokemon at #2, then Wii series at #3, and so on. The unrepresented series, along with their sales, are as follows:

9. Brain Age (34 million)
12. Nintendogs (28.25 million)
17. Big Brain Academy (10 million)
23. Excite (5 million)
24. Nintendo Land (5 million)

Now, let's look at the best selling games that aren't represented:

5. Tetris (43 million)
18. Nintendogs (23.96 million)
23. Brain Age (19.01 million)
29. Brain Age 2 (14.88 million)

So, in conclusion, here are your candidates, strictly in terms of series/game success:

Hmm, yeah, I have no idea.

EDIT: I can't believe I skipped over Super Smash Bros. itself. I think you Sandbag fellows are onto something.

Last edited:

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
The ones i can think of is either Lip, Ayumi, or a Style Savvy character.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I have to agree with those saying it's always an important character in Nintendo's legacy. After Duck Hunt's inclusion (which I've secretly supported since pre-brawl), it's kinda hard to see what else is big, unless we go into big video game characters in general. In that case you have characters like Master Chief and Lara Croft, but does anyone really want them? Nah, so we'll eliminate them. And then there's "4th party" characters like Goku. Even after all that's happened, I still think that's off limits.

Objectively speaking, we could look at the most successful Nintendo series in terms of sales.

Let's start with the most successful Nintendo series according to this list. As you can see, of course Mario is #1, followed by Pokemon at #2, then Wii series at #3, and so on. The unrepresented series, along with their sales, are as follows:

9. Brain Age (34 million)
12. Nintendogs (28.25 million)
17. Big Brain Academy (10 million)
23. Excite (5 million)
24. Nintendo Land (5 million)

Now, let's look at the best selling games that aren't represented:

5. Tetris (43 million)
18. Nintendogs (23.96 million)
23. Brain Age (19.01 million)
29. Brain Age 2 (14.88 million)

So, in conclusion, here are your candidates, strictly in terms of series/game success:

Hmm, yeah, I have no idea.

EDIT: I can't believe I skipped over Super Smash Bros. itself. I think you Sandbag fellows are onto something.
R.O.B. didn't sell that great, so sales aren't the only measure to consider... which makes it a bit harder.
I honestly think Excitebiker would eventually get in if Smash continues, and if we ever got to the point of having a playable nintendog, we'd probably get the robo dog.

Top Bottom