• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Smash 4 Suffer from Incorrect Trophy Info too?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
As many know, trophies have been collectable in both Melee & Brawl to give fans extra stuff to unlock and learn some stuff from the Nintendo (and third party) world. However, there are far from perfect. While the trophies are grammar and spelling free (mostly), there have been MANY mistakes on information for both Melee and Brawl trophies. Sure, later releases of the games did fix some errors but not all. Let's look at some of these mistakes (I'll be ignoring first release errors unless they are severely wrong as the Smash games seem to make up their own rules on how most of them are done, especially Brawl):

Super Smash Bros. Melee Trophies

Coin: States that it's unknown if they are used for currency despite the fact Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and Paper Mario does so.

Banzai Bill: They are called incorrectly called Bullet Bill in the North American release (Europe release fixes this error).

Daisy: States that she appeared in Mario Golf which is not true. This was actually a translation error as the Japanese trophy says "Mario Open Golf" (the Japanese title for NES Open Tournament Golf, a game Daisy did appear in).

Eggplant Man: States you can blow them up along with trapping them. Not true as they can only be trapped.

Stanley: State he can climb vines and destroy hives in Donkey Kong 3. Not true.

Peppy Hare: Claiming he's the sole survivor of the Battle of Venom. That's wrong as Pigma Dengar (a former Star Fox member) was there too.

Ridley: Incorrectly calls Ceres Station as "Space Station."

Mach Rider: States he has endless ammunition when he actually doesn't (without cheats that is).

Ayumi Tachibana: States she opened her own detective agency when it's actually a school detective club. It also says she solved the mystery of her friend's murder in the first installment when it was actually the second one.

Monster: While Mario and Luigi are seen driving this vehicle on the game's boxart, the bros. are never seen in the actual game as the trophy states.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Trophies

Giga Bowser: States he can't take damage. Not true at all but he does has no knockback

Paper Bowser: State he can deal "nearly" double damage in Super Paper Mario. It's actually exactly double.

Shellcreeper: Says one game it appears in is Super Mario Advance. Not true as Spinies took their place in said game.

King K. Rool: States that King K. Rool & Kaptain K. Rool are brothers. Not true in the slightest as they are the same character.

Candy Kong: Say true relationship with Donkey Kong and her are unconfirmed. Rare company tells you it's confirmed they are boyfriend and girlfriend.

Samus (Dark Suit): Says Samus gets this suit from Dark Torvus Temple when actually it's from Dark Agon Temple.

Dark Samus: States Dark Samus' origins are unproven when actually was reborn from Metroid Prime and absorbed Samus' Phazon Suit.

Kanden: States he failed at creating invisible soldiers when it's actually invincible ones.

Scarfies: States they attack when you get close to them. Not true as they attack when you attempt to inhale them.

Fire Kirby: Says it appeared in Kirby's Canvas Curse when it was actually Burning Kirby (which plays very different from Fire Kirby).

Kirby trophies originating from Kirby's Dream Land: Says Kirby's Dream Land was a NES game rather than Game Boy (fixed in European release).

Sothe: States he's a swordsman when he actually wields daggers and knives.

Lyn: North Amercian trophy states she's 15 years old. While that's true for the Japan version, she's 18 years old in overseas Fire Emblem games (fixed in European release).

Wobbuffet: States its first appearance is Pokémon Red/Blue when it's actually Gold/Silver.

Snorunt: Say only males can evolve into Glalie. Female Snorunts can evolve into Glalie too.

K.K. Slider: Says he can only play 70 when he can actually play 75.

Pellets: Talks about "pellet grass". No such thing exists in the Pikmin games.

Careening Dirigibug: Say it can produce bomb-rock duds when they actually never fail.

Kyle Hyde: States he's a former detective when he's actually a former cop who worked for the NYPD.

Metal Gear REX: States that Snake destroyed it when he actually shut it down (and got restored in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots).

Cardboard Box: States Liquid Snake has used it before. Not true but they possibly meant to say Naked Snake.

As you can see there are plenty of mistakes. Do you think Smash 4 will suffer from this too? Sure, there's an extremely high chances of patches happening to fix them but I doubt they cover all of them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can see it now...

"In Fire Emblem Awakening, it is revealed that Marth is Chrom's daughter."

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I never realized this was a thing! I guess I never actually spent a lot of time reading the descriptions for the trophies.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I don't see why Smash Wii U and 3DS wouldn't suffer the same mishaps as its predecessors, especially if the amount of trophies will expand from the previously established 544 (and thus exponentially increasing the chances of a mistake here or there).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Given how there will likely be a tremendous amount of trophies again and how gameplay, characters, stages among other thing will certainly take higher priority over trophies, there will probably be a an error or two on at least a handful of the trophies.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm not sure about Brawl, because I never bothered to read all of the trophies in that game. Melee, however, also has incorrect release date info. At least for Samus. I think it says Metroid came out in 1987 when it came out in 1986.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just to point something out, K. Rool's trophy information is actually true in Japan, but not for the other regions.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Considering Sakurai is killing himself over Smash, I can forgive him for mucking up something as insignificant as trophy descriptions. They don't affect the core gameplay whatsoever.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I have this unnerving feeling that this will somehow get back to Sakurai, and he'll just pull a Phil Fish and cancel the game, or go on a murder spree or something..

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
But more important: Will SSB4 Trophy collection be better than Brawl's?
I mean some franchises in Brawl lacked trophies like Yoshi's Island, Fire Emblem, Mother.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I wouldn't blame them if there would be a handful of incorrect trophy descriptions once more in this game.

All I'm just hoping for is that we see more trophies of characters that didn't have a 3D model pre made previously in a different game to rip from. :/

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well I wouldn't blame them if there would be a handful of incorrect trophy descriptions once more in this game.

All I'm just hoping for is that we see more trophies of characters that didn't have a 3D model pre made previously in a different game to rip from. :/
Chu Dat.

All those descriptions... someone will make a mistake.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'm just hoping that we see some newly rendered trophies... And by that, no ripping models from already-existing Wii U/ Wii games.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
In smash 64 it says that DK have an arch-rivality with mario and he has stopped to kidnap maidens.
Actually, that was cranky.

"Scarfies: States they attack when you get close to them. Not true as they attack when you attempt to inhale them."
>kirby 64.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Can't say for sure, but there is always the possibility of errors or bad translations. Considering there were errors in the previous two games, there will likely be errors this time too, unfortunately.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
This time hopefully they will fix them with a patch. I'm excited for trophies anyway, and I'm pretty sure Sakurai is going to throw something new in the mix.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
While I'm sure there will still be a few errors of this nature, I don't think all of the things you're quoting are errors.

Coin: The Mario RPG games are kinda a side-universe to the main Mario universe. Coins have never been shown to be a real currency in the main Mario universe.

Peppy: Pigma being a survivor of the battle is like saying the random Venomian troops that joined in the ambush survived the battle too. Pigma betrayed them and was effectively an enemy soldier. Peppy was the only Cornerian survivor, and that clarification was not needed in the description for that to be clear.

Paper Bowser: As I recall, there were some circumstances in which things didn't quite work out that way though double was the general rule. I do recall that the charged up jump hit that hard with Luigi as well so at the very least Bowser didn't always hit twice as hard as the other characters. It's been a while since I played Super Paper Mario so I can't delve into it super deep, but I'm not sure the terminology used by the trophy is wrong so much as it's intentionally vague.

King K. Rool: The games never confirmed anything about him being the same person or not between games.

Candy Kong: Obviously anything Rare said that was not actually in the games is not canon. Rare is a Microsoft owned company these days, and their interpretations on the "lore" are irrelevant. The games did make DK and Candy's relationship unclear.

Dark Samus: Brawl's development cycle relative to Metroid Prime 3 probably meant that Prime 3 was unknown information as far as Brawl was concerned. While between Prime 1 and Prime 2 it was certainly reasonable to conclude what you said, I don't believe it was ever spelled out. It's also a spoiler so the trophy saying it isn't known isn't really unreasonable.

Sothe: Daggers and knives are just shorter swords, and while gameplay wise he never uses proper swords, it would be odd in universe if he didn't know how. I'm not sure this is really a wrong statement.

K.K.Slider: Now I know basically nothing about Animal Crossing, but what were the unlock conditions for his songs? If the last five were in any way special, this statement wouldn't be inaccurate so much as incomplete. I won't lie though; I really don't know, but this is the sort of thing that seems to me like it might not be a mistake.

Pellets: I don't know what you want to call the plants that pellets grow out of, but pellet grass isn't the worst name you could come up with especially for the 1s.

Metal Gear REX: It's clear Snake broke it, and within the context of the Twin Snakes, it sure seems destroyed in the sense that I severely doubt it was still possible to use. MGS4's plot was not known when Brawl was made, and either way, machines can always be repaired and rebuilt no matter what you do to them so it's not incongruent for Snake to have destroyed it in MGS1 and for it to be back in MGS4.

Cardboard Box: While he has never been directly shown to use it, it would honestly be kinda surprising in the MGS world if Liquid had never hidden in a cardboard box.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Yes it will, because nobody is perfect. Not even localization teams.

Commander

Smash Ace
You missed one. On the Black Knight's trophy it says the sword he wields is called "Ettard", this is true in the Japanese versions of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but in the American versions his sword is called "Alondite" while Ettard is the name of Ike's personal sword in Radiant Dawn.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Hey, let's chill. Sure, there are errors on the trophies, but they are just extra little spices on top of , mainly, a fighting game. It seems like these errors are mainly localization errors, not the main producers. And hey I'm pretty sure we can be forgiving if someones busting their balls on over 500 trophy descriptions and, while on the seemingly neverending Pokemon trophies, he mixes up games.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
I think the problem stems from that the trophies are a direct translation of the Japanese trophy info and aren't changed in the most part for regional differences

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I don't doubt it. There will always be mistakes and to be honest I really don't care if there are mistakes are not because I usually just looks at the trophies and rarely read the bios more than once.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, if they're aware of the errors in past games, then maybe they can make a conscious effort to prevent them.

I mean, for crying out loud, Pokemon can have over 700 different Pokemon in one game without an error. Why can't Smash?
To be fair, trophies are not necessarily the focus of Smash in the same way that Pokemon are to Pokemon. X and Y isn't sinless, it had the game corrupting glitch in addition to black outs with... power on? My point is that mistakes happen. It is so menial.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
@Tepig2000: Yes I did take from Smash Wiki as well as a site called nindb.net. I don't have the time to read over 500 Brawl trophies or remember that much.

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
Well, if they're aware of the errors in past games, then maybe they can make a conscious effort to prevent them.

I mean, for crying out loud, Pokemon can have over 700 different Pokemon in one game without an error. Why can't Smash?

Have you read the Pokedex entries? They're at best inconsistent are certain facts (Magikarp jumping for one), and the sizes are NONSENSE (check out JWitz's video for info on that).

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
I say keep them so you can correct their mistakes in front of your friends to feel smart and important!

Top Bottom