• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Melee Ever Die?

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
Now before u Melee fanboys start raging about this please note that this is simply a topic that is an opinion on a game I truthy enjoy to death.

To begin the big question that's been on my mind recently is will the Melee competitive seen and the popularity come to an end one day? After all Melee as had a highly worldwide completive image throughout the years and its crazy to think that a game released almost 17 years ago is still going strong which is unhear of compared to other games.
But will the reasonings behind the popularity will ever die out might seem crazy to think generally specking. But with Ultimate just around the corner we can only hope that Melee will stay where it is now and I do generally think it will stay at its cur popularity considering the game as amazing ways to play or finding different tonics on switching from higher listed characters is one thing to have. Or maybe Ultimate will take over of all the completive players and bring them into a new area of the same aspect that melee has had.

With all other smash games with different audiences or communities none of them have lived up to Melees legacy regarding how amazingly fast past majority subspaces combined within Melees records like it has had despite some even refusing to let go of this classic title. Personally I don't wanna see this community of skilled intelligent players move on to a different title or watch the majority of melee go away. Even if players don't enjoy the newer installments they are still willing to try them out to see if that majority of melee will be in there but I'll be completely honest and say there will never be another game like melee. It was just a one time thing and my lord not even the strongest satisfaction came from Brawls completive seen and that's how Project M was brought to live. Because fans love this title so much they will always keep the site going even if fans aren't satisfied no matter how hard Sakurai embraces to bring that feel back once more. So give the guy a brake.

I strongly believe the Melee community will be around for a long time and I'm simply glad its stayed for almost a decade.
But what do u think? Let me know in the comments what u think about this topic?

KirbyMain64

Smash Rookie
NNID
YokaiWatch2BS999
3DS FC
3196-8123-7677
Switch FC
SW 6476-7893-3978
It's not melee

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Melee will live on as long as Melee is played. Keep playing Melee.

Blixen

Smash Cadet
NNID
FalconCantWin
Melee will die out someday its inevitable, every game will die. It feels like Melee as a game/community has little more to do except for tournaments and streams being hosted since everything has really been figured out and done with it. As far as Ultimate goes I think the game will outlive every Smash game that came before it because of its massive amount of tech and strategies that could be in the game along with its plethora of stage options,modes etc...

gogurtpeachy

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
GOGU#750
As much as i want to believe melee will live forever, i don't think it will. I don't think ultimate will kill it, or any other smash game possibly released in the future, unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to get into melee, the fact that you need a wii/gamecube and a CRT to play is a problem considering those just aren't made anymore. If the game is ever given a virtual console release, or a remake where game mechanics and balance are untouched, the game will strive just as much. It's hard to say just how much time the game has left, and it seems like every time the game looks dead, it comes back again stronger than ever. But honestly as long as there's 2 people still playing melee, the game isn't dead.

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
Melee will not die as long as people keep coming to Melee. I believe Melee will get small not die

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
Summit had over 50k views. Melee is ain’t going nowhere!

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Melee will eventually die out but I doubt it'll be due to any newer smash games. Melee fan's passion for melee is as great as their vitriol for any smash game that isn't melee and maybe project m. No, A smash can only overtake melee if it's truly seen as Melee HD and even then it'll probably be a slow burn. I think the chances are more likely though that there'll never be a melee HD. Rather, the game will eventually plateau. The game has already peaked with a lot of the best players having been around sense the start so no real room for newer blood to shake up the scene. Most of what characters can do has been explored fully. The hype is still there but there's only so much melee can do until the hype starts to go down. No the game wont end with a melee HD. It'll end as an old man fully content with his life dying peacefully in his sleep. I doubt, it'll never not be played and loved but the community at large will eventually move on of their own accord.

EzloMajora

Smash Rookie
Melee will eventually die out but I doubt it'll be due to any newer smash games. Melee fan's passion for melee is as great as their vitriol for any smash game that isn't melee and maybe project m. No, A smash can only overtake melee if it's truly seen as Melee HD and even then it'll probably be a slow burn. I think the chances are more likely though that there'll never be a melee HD. Rather, the game will eventually plateau. The game has already peaked with a lot of the best players having been around sense the start so no real room for newer blood to shake up the scene. Most of what characters can do has been explored fully. The hype is still there but there's only so much melee can do until the hype starts to go down. No the game wont end with a melee HD. It'll end as an old man fully content with his life dying peacefully in his sleep. I doubt, it'll never not be played and loved but the community at large will eventually move on of their own accord.
I have to disagree with the new blood part. I think that Zain is a prime example of new blood getting into the mix. Same with Wizzrobe. And even players like Plup and Leffen are relatively new all things considered. And if PPMD ever returns then that will surely increase the hype surrounding the game. I think it will die eventually, if Nintendo supports Ultimate or future games enough (similar to how Riot manages League of Legends). At the same time, I got into Melee because I saw things that couldn't be done in the other Smash games. I felt like I had reached a point in Smash4 and even Project M where I could successfully pull off techniques. And new tech continues to be discovered and implemented. Shield dropping was known about but took years before it got implemented like it is. V canceling just got discovered a little over a year ago and may get implemented by the top players soon. I think that eventually, Melee will lose its day in the sun and fade into obscurity but I don't see that happening for at least another 5 to 10 years earliest. The game, after all, approaching two decades of release.

ZSSamus_

Smash Rookie
it won't die til everybody who plays it drops it.

its a fun game still after all these years.

Last edited:

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Eventually it will. Not because of any one game, I don't think SSBU will kill it for instance, but there are many factor that will long term. For one, its pretty much a solved game at this point. The meta is set in stone and has been for a while. Everyone knows the ins and outs of the match ups, everyone can agree 100% on the top eight fighters, there are no new secrets to be uncovered anymore really.

The game also doesn't attract new players like it used to, and why should it? It takes a crazy amount of tech skill just to get to the level where you get bodied by semi-pros. The "new" melee players will have 7 years experience over you. You can't out-practice that. New players used to come to melee because it is known as the "pro" smash, but Brawl and Sm4sh as of tomorrow will not be the only other options for that.

Melee will continued to be played by the jaded grognards of yesteryear, after the eventual heat death of the universe they will still be there, floating in the endless vacuum of space huddled around CRTs waiting for the next match, and in that way Melee will not die.

But one day everyone but them will forget about it.

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
For one, its pretty much a solved game at this point. The meta is set in stone and has been for a while. Everyone knows the ins and outs of the match ups, everyone can agree 100% on the top eight fighters, there are no new secrets to be uncovered anymore really.
This is why I play casually. Play as any character you want, on any stage, with any ruleset, in any game. Three-stock matches with all items on WarioWare using Sonic have contained some of the most fun matches I've played in Brawl. (Still never played Melee.)

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
With all the new technology that has cropped up surrounding Melee, I don't see its death any time soon. I may be a bit biased as I compete in Melee, but that being said, I still don't see it going anywhere.

The ability to download the ISO online and play via Dolphin and Anther's Ladder/Netplay to play people online in Melee coincides spectacularly with the reversal of public opinion that desktop gaming computers are a dying breed. Also, with the creation of monitors and tools that are able to replicate zero-lag playtime for SD inputs as well as booting games from SD cards, access is becoming readily available.

Add to that the public's opinion on games becoming 'easier' and 'nooby', and you have a natural draw to Melee, which requires hours of practice and dedication to master the simplest of introductory level techskill (this is not a jab at any other game, simply a statement, I do not think Melee is superior to any game, just the one I prefer playing)

Will it die? Sure, one day. But the community is still going strong, and access is becoming easier and easier, as well as eSports opportunities becoming more viable for the game. I think it'll be a long while.

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Melee will continued to be played by the jaded grognards of yesteryear, after the eventual heat death of the universe they will still be there, floating in the endless vacuum of space huddled around CRTs waiting for the next match, and in that way Melee will not die.
Love the imagery. That'll be me. Except I dont think that the heat death of the universe will occur as long as there are melee players. We are a hot and sweaty bunch.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
From what I hear about Melee, it will never die. A too dedicated fan base and hardcore players.

In fact, it’ll be here for Smash Bros Supreme, Smash Bros Reboot, and Smash Bros Sakurai’s Revenge,

#MeleeForever

Last edited:

Vije

Smash Rookie
I have a hard time believing Melee will die soon. Its the D&D of video games.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
I have a hard time believing Melee will die soon. Its the D&D of video games.
Dwarf Fortress and Space Station 13 are the DnD of video games.

I would say Melee is more like the baseball of video games. It's unlikely it will ever be the big thing again, but it will always have a relatively small dedicated fanbase.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Dwarf Fortress and Space Station 13 are the DnD of video games.

I would say Melee is more like the baseball of video games. It's unlikely it will ever be the big thing again, but it will always have a relatively small dedicated fanbase.
Idk about baseball man, theres a few million more people following baseball lol... If we're making comparisons to real sports, Melee is like curling. Its easy to play, but mastery is difficult and requires a lot of precision and skill.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Just managed to learn how to wavedash after practicing for 40 minutes for 4 days. Man I thought I'd never learn it in the beginning, I always have to learn something and then sleep on it to make it feel natural for some reason.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Just managed to learn how to wavedash after practicing for 40 minutes for 4 days. Man I thought I'd never learn it in the beginning, I always have to learn something and then sleep on it to make it feel natural for some reason.
You have learned a very valuable lesson! Sleep is extremely important in the learning process. It helps solidify the connections that your brain makes during the day when it learns something. You may have heard that its better to study for an hour, then sleep for 6 instead of studying for 3 hours and sleeping for 4. Again, sleep is extremely important in a human's ability to learn and retain information.

LEO142

Smash Rookie
No I don't think melee will ever really die, sure smash ultimate is a very technical game compared to s4 I just don't see it being a melee killer at all. People who find melee more appealing with it's enormous difficulty and fulfilling results will naturally gravitate towards playing that game. Same will happen with ultimate'a attributes. Melee has too large of a competative base to just be extinguished through just a few years time. I'm sure it will go on for much longer than that.

Steran

still learning
NNID
Death
Switch FC
SW 1887-2353-4502
smash ultimate will never be a melee killer, I don't see there ever being a melee killer unless sakurai decided to add a melee mode to smash ultimate basically making it pm and even that might not kill it melee has such a distinct feeling that i think would be hard to replicate.

Weenuk

Smash Cadet
no other smash game will kill melee
finding a wii with gc ports/an actual gamecube with a crt on the other hand...

Prefecture

Smash Rookie
I will play Melee via Emulator with my wife for the rest of my constantly dwindling existence.

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
no other smash game will kill melee
finding a wii with gc ports/an actual gamecube with a crt on the other hand...
Eh, eventually the community will just have to put up with low lag monitors and honestly, its not that bad. I juggle between playing on crts and emulators constantly and i dont think the crt argument is as big a deal as people make it.

sanicdude246

Smash Apprentice
It looks like ultimate killed it but no. The melee players are taking a break from melee. Probabbly gonna come back after the ultimate craze is normal.

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
Melee is in a league of it's own when you think about it's staying power. When you actually stop and consider it's history and longevity; the game has no equal or contemporaries in terms of competitive videogames.

I'm actually quite certain that Melee will outlive me, inevitably Nintendo will have to release it when it becomes a classic and their newest hardware is able to emulate GC games (even if they try so hard to not remaster it or give it an HD version). Thus whole new generations will be introduced to it's glory assuming it ever dies in the first place.

Top Bottom