• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Inkling get nerfed?

InfiniteRE

Smash Cadet
I've been maining inkling since the game came out, and the little ink wonder has been very impressive so far, as I see very little weaknesses to this character. The only thing I'm worried about is her getting nerfed by the time tournaments start kicking off locally (around february). I'm not sure how long it takes characters to get nerfed in the past. Possible nerfs I can see happening are slower ink charge, worse grab, downB does less damage, worse hitboxes.

Lypion

Smash Cadet
I don't think any nerfs/buffs are happening anytime soon. The game is way too early for that and the meta is shifting too much. They mostly focus on bug fixes and stuff like that first so no worrys. Just enjoy the character and even if he gets nerfed there's no such thing as an unviable character in smash so that shouldn't prevent you from having fun with him :)

Conti

Smash Ace
I think Sakurai isn't going to make the same mistakes he made in Smash4 and nerf the game down so it's less exciting. If anything he will buff the lower half of the cast to make this game truely Ultimate :3 <3

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Geez, I hope nobody gets nerfed. Probably except Greninja. Nerfing makes everything gross and boring. Bring in more buffs and fix glitches. Nobody needs to be nerfed.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Geez, I hope nobody gets nerfed. Probably except Greninja. Nerfing makes everything gross and boring. Bring in more buffs and fix glitches. Nobody needs to be nerfed.
Well that’s not the best mindset to have. If everyone is OP, the game gets really brain dead. Having a weakness means that you have to play creatively to overcome it.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind a loss in kill power. Inkling has the tools to secure kills without smash attacks or grabs.

Lypion

Smash Cadet
Well that’s not the best mindset to have. If everyone is OP, the game gets really brain dead. Having a weakness means that you have to play creatively to overcome it.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind a loss in kill power. Inkling has the tools to secure kills without smash attacks or grabs.
I don't think he was serious...

Your God John

Smash Rookie
Even if Inkling does get nerfed you'll have to adapt. Generally speaking I don't think you really "main" a character it your usage becomes trash after a nerf. I'd say you exploit.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
I think Sakurai isn't going to make the same mistakes he made in Smash4 and nerf the game down so it's less exciting. If anything he will buff the lower half of the cast to make this game truely Ultimate :3 <3
"no nerfs, only buffs" is how power creep happens.

Boredatwork

Smash Rookie
More likely than not, Side B's use as an early kill confirm tool will get seriously nerfed.

Expect the burying time to be toned down to the levels of DK's Side B or K Rool's d-tilt.

InfinitySoul

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsC8io4w1sY

I really hope devs make the right choice not to nerf anyone, the game is so balance inside the top character pool. No character truly dominates the game, there are so many characters that can compete for a tournament win.

The lower tiers characters will fall yes, this is why I hope to see buffs.

Boredatwork

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsC8io4w1sY

I really hope devs make the right choice not to nerf anyone, the game is so balance inside the top character pool. No character truly dominates the game, there are so many characters that can compete for a tournament win.

The lower tiers characters will fall yes, this is why I hope to see buffs.
Favoring buffs to lower-tier characters over general nerfs is perfectly reasonable, but to ask for no nerf whatsoever is ridiculous, you don't want to cause powercreep by buffing everyone to ridiculous levels. Some things do deserve to be nerfed.

InfinitySoul

Smash Apprentice
Favoring buffs to lower-tier characters over general nerfs is perfectly reasonable, but to ask for no nerf whatsoever is ridiculous, you don't want to cause powercreep by buffing everyone to ridiculous levels. Some things do deserve to be nerfed.
Maybe because I main inkling I am biased, but right now everything feels extremly balanced. Not Smash 4 "don't sleep on them balanced, 50% of the cast can top 8", but really "50% of the cast can win" balanced.

You cannot nerf Inkling without nerfing Chrom, Peach/Daisy, Fox and Palutena, and at this point you pretty much frustrated a quarter of the smash community. And those who are crying for nerfs will keep on crying for the best high tier-now top tier characters.

Whereas if you buff Kirby, all kirby main will be happy, for everyone else it won't matter.

Last edited:

prfarb

Smash Rookie
Maybe the bury on the roller gets nerfed a tiny bit. But it can't be to much because she has to get back to the character to do anything with it.

I'm not sure if the double jump out of roller is intentional or not. If it's not then that might be removed.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Maybe the bury on the roller gets nerfed a tiny bit. But it can't be to much because she has to get back to the character to do anything with it.

I'm not sure if the double jump out of roller is intentional or not. If it's not then that might be removed.
Play ROB then talk to me about not being able to do anything out of bury...

Last edited:

XenoUltra

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nin10doUltra
Switch FC
6286-4808-6298
I think Inkling is fine lol

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
I feel like it’s too early to tell how they’ll handle their character changes. I know they said they’d be “paying attention” to the rankings, but we don’t know whether that means buffs for the lesser cast or nerfs for the More won cast.

The only real nerf inkling I think they can use Is less bury time with roller. Even then Their speed and ink are so tied to the character themself that I doubt they’d nerf them THAT hard

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I don't think Inkling should be nerfed except for bury time on the roller. That is the only part of their toolkit that feels excessive to me. As someone who is trash with the inklings, I can def appreciate their learning curve and they're not uniquely gamebreaking or anywhere near OP relative to the rest of the cast. The bury time seems a bit on the long side though and is the only part I'd tweak on them.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Is the character actually so strong to the point that people think she needs nerfs? I hardly ever see anybody using her despite the praise she's been getting, and when I do see her, she's refilling her ink constantly and struggling to kill after up throw to up air %'s.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
The Roller NEEDS to get nerfed. The bury time needs to be decreased immensely. Other than that, they're fine.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The Roller NEEDS to get nerfed. The bury time needs to be decreased immensely. Other than that, they're fine.
They need to buff them somewhere else if they nerf the roller then : )

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Inklings struggle to kill, especially heavies. Nerfing the roller would make any heavy a straight up counter. It's difficult anyways if the opponent knows how to play against the roller. It's already punishable when it hits shield.

Other than a very small up throw, up air kill window and raw fsmashes / usmashes the inklings struggle to kill. Sure a back throw at the edge when the opponent is 150+ (medium) or 200+ (heavies).

Other than roller, inkling has no kill confirms

Lypion

Smash Cadet
Tbh roller is just a noobdistroyer. Somebody who knows how to play around it isn't going to get hit by it unless you hardread him. When you go to tournaments people usually don't get hit by it and inkling does struggle to kill then. I do understand why people want it to be nerfed tho. Obviously its easier to just complain and hoping it gets nerfed than to actually practise and adapt.

Top Bottom