• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiimote + Nunchuck is supreme

Holychikenz

Smash Rookie
I feel i should add this. I've been using the wiimote+chuck since day 1 of Brawl and yes it took a while to get used to but I wouldn't say that using it puts me at a disadvantage or an advantage over any other player overall. Really once you get used to the controls and that awkwardness goes away I feel that (other than grab) the d-pad for smashes is much more practical than the c-stick (easier to hit imo) and having jump dedicated to its own finger makes short-hop to bair or dair extremely easy.

As for the grabs, i know most people won't like this, but since taunts are fairly useless I've played for a while now with the 1-button mapped as my grab and I either stretch my thumb down to hit it or just mash the palm of my hand into it (takes some getting used to, but it's really not that bad).

And most importantly ... sitting on the couch with a wiimote in one hand and a nunchuck in the other is the laziest, most relaxing position to be in.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
What's the point why dont you guys go out and buy some GC controllers? I had sold my gamecube when brawl was out so I picked some up the day of brawls release for around $7 per and I bought 2 it's cheap and defintley more effective/simple

*Tw!st3r*

Smash Rookie
It's not the fact that we don't own GC controllers (I own 3 perfectly good GC controllers now) but the WiiChuck is just what we prefer...there should be no argument as to which controller is more effective. It all comes down to whatever feels more natural.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
My original reason for using the Wiimote/Nunchuck was that my gamecube controllers by that time were all pieces of ****. But by the first couple of days within trying it, I got really used to it, and found a good config. that works for me. As far as the D-pad goes, I use ^ for smashes/aerials/tilts(if you hold up/down/side and still do the motion for a regular smash using A, you do a tilt), </> still kept for grabs/Z-air(Spamus main, I'm better with grabs in general with most chars, and her F-smash sucks, lol) and V for smashes/etc. I recently got a GC controller that has basically never been used, so still in good condition. But I'm still more comfortable/better with the other.

BSP

Smash Legend
I guess i could try it. It may work better, it may not, who knows. sounds awkward though.

kciD

Smash Journeyman
I tried this and was ok with it...but the problem is I can't do **** with my left hand. I never used L in melee, and I have trouble using my left hand for just about anything.

I had the setup using one of the chuck triggers as special, B was shield, A attack, +down as jump, and I don't remember what else. Oh, and shake smash was on, since I can play with my arms very still if needed.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I have no problem with people who use Wiimote+Nunchuk, but I find it very irritating when people fail miserably at synching controllers or have battery johns, or accidentally turn off Wii's if the power button accidentally gets pressed when they put it in their bag, or menu cursors spazzing out because they put the nunchuk still connected in their bag... etc etc

EDIT: Also, annoys me since most people with Wiimote+Nunchuk have like a ridiculous number of custom controls they have to put in, which is that much more wasted time. Most people who play with GC controllers either play with no controls or just tap jump off. Most Wii's have a "NOTAP" name for that purpose anyway.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
The reason we have to customize their controls is because the default settings for wii-chuck leaves us without a C-stick.

People using this controller should take their batteries out anyways, to conserve energy and not to do the things that you are so irritated about.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The reason we have to customize their controls is because the default settings for wii-chuck leaves us without a C-stick.

People using this controller should take their batteries out anyways, to conserve energy and not to do the things that you are so irritated about.
This. And on a side note, I lol when people think that we keep putting in new batteries.

yaya0

Smash Rookie
I use Classic Controller (am I the only one?), but I'm still comfortable with Wiichuck.

nesti9elbruto

Smash Cadet
I use the Wiimote + Nunchuck, but I have all the guidelines published in Spain (official and unofficial) of the game and give all the worst score.
The most recommended is the Classic Controller or Game Cube command.
I personally do not agree: Why use a command or another do not play better or worse. Tract was performed.

Ziiken

Smash Rookie
The wiimote and nunchuk is a viable option for gameplay. I change the d-pad to quick smashes and change the 1 button to grab. If you practice you can learn to shorthop with the analog stick, but I'm gonna try to see if the c-stick works better. I do think that the gamecube controller is better because it has more buttons, but using the wiichuk shouldn't put you at a disadvantage

Starwarrior27

Smash Apprentice
The wiimote and nunchuk is a viable option for gameplay. I change the d-pad to quick smashes and change the 1 button to grab. If you practice you can learn to shorthop with the analog stick, but I'm gonna try to see if the c-stick works better. I do think that the gamecube controller is better because it has more buttons, but using the wiichuk shouldn't put you at a disadvantage
Good point about extra buttons not necessarily being better than less buttons, but I do wish to point out a slight problem with a lack of usable buttons. The Wiimote placed sideways has a total of 7 buttons (or button combinations, as 1+2 is a smash attack), but for competitive means only has 5 usable buttons. The classic controller has 13 buttons (Yes, the control stick is included) all of which are usable. The Game Cube controller has 12 buttons all of which, again, are usable. Finally, the Wiimote and Nunchuck has 12 buttons, but only 9 are usable.

Going off the idea that more buttons makes a better controller, one should pick the classic controller, but we all know that more buttons is not necessarily better. What matters is how efficiently every move can be done. Knowing this, the Game Cube controller and classic controller can most definintely utilize every move, but the Wiimote and Nunchuck is under question. If the c-stick is considered to be three buttons, jump is another, along with dodging and moving, we are left with 3 buttons giving us the ability to attack, special attack, and grab. Therefore, we can see that the Wiimote and Nunchuck is still a viable option.

Now, this is only presenting a few facts; ultimiately controller choice comes down to what is most comfortable. Personally, I find the Wiimote and Nunchuck to be the most comfortable from me; though, I do not use the d-pad for smashes. Let's just say my controls are...weird. Anyways, the point is, there really should not be a debate over the best controller, as 3 of the 4 are equally viable. I'll leave you to determine the one that is inferior.

Jobes

Smash Apprentice
I like the Wiimote + Nunchuck because I can sit with my hands behind my head and actually be comfortable.
QFT!

I use wiichuk as well... and i can still do all of the important AT's (dacus etc.) consistently.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
I use GCC and my controls are no tap jump and Y is grab (i always used X to jump since Melee) and when my GCC broke i had 2 use a wiichuk but failed horribly and found it easyer to use a wiimote by itself (default controls) because i play the oldschool NES when im at my grandmas house, so i guess it all depends on how comfortable u r with the setup of the buttons...

Edit: I have another GCC now (since 3 or 4 months ago)

Bunny4Eva

Smash Ace
Some stuff you can't do with the wiimote/nunchuck:
-Momentum cancelling:
No matter what special control you try, you just CAN'T because changing your D-pad down to attack is like C-stick with smashes.
& you need to set your C-stick to attack to do it.
-Pivot boost walking:
You need to tilt your C-stick diagonally up-right or up-left while walking
but the only available smashes on the wiimote go in 1 direction: up, down, left, or right.

Some stuff that're harder to do on these wiimote/nunchuck are:
-Ice Climber infinite CG:
First off I can do this easily on both controls(offline of course) so I can tell the different.
When I do this on Wiimote/nunchuck, I tend to just throw, but I can't really move one Ice climber without releasing an actual grab.
(I've try tilting it barely, but the nunchuck control stick wasn't wide enough)
When I tried on gamecube.
In between my grabs I can actually walk slowly foward or backward without releasing an actual grab.
I figured out that the control stick between the nunchuk & gamecube are different
Nunchuck has a smaller area in which you can move the control stick around,
& the Gamecube provived a little larger area, making it easier to use Icy CG.

Peach floaty D-air:
This is pretty obvious, just try to Short-hop float & D-air with Peach on the Wii control.
You instantly fall...making it harder to connect Peach D-air to other F-air, N-air, U-air, or even another D-air.
However, to solve this problem I found out that all you need to do is
Assign your D-pad down to downsmash
From there initiate Peach's D-air with your down D-pad instead of A.
The result is you SHOULD float (remember to hold your jump button for floating)

What's good about a wiimote & nunchuck?
(Side note:This is for Right-handed Wiimote & Left-handed Nunchuk)

-Generally I find DAC to be super easy, if you have tap jump off
& assign your D-pad down to Dsmash
From there just dash or run,
Do this motion- Run or Dash by tilting the control stick with your left thumb--->use your Right thumb to push the D-pad down making a Dash attack animation--->Quickly slide your Left thumb Up on control stick & your Right thumb to A & hold it.
By the way is different timing between some Character like Snake & Sheik.
For Snake you have to do it kind of slow, & for Sheik you need to be quick.

MK infinite Cape:
Yes this is WAY easier, instead of smashing your C-stick Up on the Gamecube

You can just assign your D-pad up to Usmash & push that rapid.
I got more, but I'm too lazy to type -_-
(FYI: I used the Wiimote/nunchuck combo for 8months & I kind of know everything with it)

Anyway in my opinion Gamecube controller Are better then Wii control combo.

kbear

Smash Cadet
Well, I can't seem to find the time to get a GC controller from WalMart, but I've been using the WiiChuk and it's not too terrible, seeing as I main with Marth. All I did was switch the C button to grab instead of jump, as tap jumping is enabled.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I use it and am ranked 2nd in Texas. I do not map smash except for up which I only use for DI and set grab on down on the dpad which I REALLY REALLY need.

I guess it all depends on controls and dedication. Takes hard work. I can only DACUS with snake, who I main.

:).

Magik0722

Smash Champion
1. directional arrow smash mapping.( map all your smashes, you got yourself a C-stick)
2. Jump (C), special(B), shield(Z) and smashes(arrows, or A) buttons are all independant.
(no switching fingers or claw grip necessary)
3. shielding. (ex: in order to completely block G&W's B-Air on GC controller, your shield button must be pressed in until it "clicks". if it is only partially held down, you will eat the attack. With wiimote, simply pressing Z will block)
The Classic Controller has all those advantages and a c-stick and you dont lose a grab button. Also the jump buttons and A and B buttons are really close together, allowing you to easily ubB ooS without the need for tapjump to be on, or allowing something like sideB immediately after a jump (falco) to be frame perfect.

Classic controller IS the best controller

Ξ◆ZENSHI◆Ξ

Smash Rookie
NNID
Johnnycay
Switch FC
4328-9272-3612
First off: Yeah, I went there.

I was a long time Melee veteran, so when i first switched to brawl, i naturally used the ol' GC controller. After 5,000+ brawl matches later and a handful of local tournament wins, all I use now is wiimote + nunchuck.

Here's why:
1. directional arrow smash mapping.( map all your smashes, you got yourself a C-stick)
2. Jump (C), special(B), shield(Z) and smashes(arrows, or A) buttons are all independant.
(no switching fingers or claw grip necessary)
3. shielding. (ex: in order to completely block G&W's B-Air on GC controller, your shield button must be pressed in until it "clicks". if it is only partially held down, you will eat the attack. With wiimote, simply pressing Z will block)
4. you do lose your grab button, but shield grabbing is so easy you won't know the difference

it's awkward as hell at first, but once you've got it committed to muscle memory it's easy sailing.
I am aboslutely livid that Nintendo just casually drops certain control options completely, basically forcing people to use controllers they aren't familiar with.

Since wii-chuck players are a small silent minority, nobody cares.

In conclusioin, I am bitter & I wish I could go back in time and give my past child self a gamecube & a copy of smash bros melee.

(Also I mapped my down wiimote directional pad to be grab)

Last edited:

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I am aboslutely livid that Nintendo just casually alienated everyone who's first smash game was brawl & not melee, just because the gamecube gen of smash players are a large faction in the community, &n they refuse to give up using the game cube, just like how I won't give up using the wiichuck.

But because wiichuck players are a minority, that means if they made joycon styled wiimotes (without the point and click peripheral inside it) not as many people would buy it, because they would be marketing a product to a minority, which means they wouldn't make a lot money off of it.

So they basically alienated everyone who's first smash game was brawl, just for the sake of not wanting to risk marketing a product to a minority.

In conclusioin, I am bitter & I wish I could go back in time and give my past child self a gamecube & a copy of smash bros melee.

(Also I mapped my down wiimote directional pad to be grab)

Mood upon discovering they dropped wiichuck because of some marketing bull****:
Uh no lol Nintendo isn't alienating brawl players or forcing anyone to use a certain controller.

Luigisama

Smash Champion

I made this...
It's not against brawl players though lol. They just chose to do away with the nunchuck. I would think that joycons are almost similar unless you've tried it and it sucks.

Also if you hate negative stuff towards brawl players you should get mad at PM and melee TOs that refuse to host brawl tournaments. It's the community not the company.

Top Bottom