• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiimote + Nunchuck is supreme

Squirtguns

Smash Rookie
First off: Yeah, I went there.

I was a long time Melee veteran, so when i first switched to brawl, i naturally used the ol' GC controller. After 5,000+ brawl matches later and a handful of local tournament wins, all I use now is wiimote + nunchuck.

Here's why:
1. directional arrow smash mapping.( map all your smashes, you got yourself a C-stick)
2. Jump (C), special(B), shield(Z) and smashes(arrows, or A) buttons are all independant.
(no switching fingers or claw grip necessary)
3. shielding. (ex: in order to completely block G&W's B-Air on GC controller, your shield button must be pressed in until it "clicks". if it is only partially held down, you will eat the attack. With wiimote, simply pressing Z will block)
4. you do lose your grab button, but shield grabbing is so easy you won't know the difference

it's awkward as hell at first, but once you've got it committed to muscle memory it's easy sailing.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
There is definitely at least one other topic discussing the various controllers. Also I find the Dpad to be in a really awkward position to use and I find pivot grabbing to be easier with a dedicated grab button.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I'd probably use Wiichuck if I could comfortably assign grab to something, without giving up my other buttons.

Captain L

Smash Champion
I use Up on the D pad for jump, right and left for grabs, and down for Dsmash. I miss out on 3 smash buttons, but I get a dedicated grab button and an additional jump button. I'm trying to train myself to only use C for jumping though, since having an up smash button is always handy. Right now I use C for short hopped aerials, and Up for all other forms of jumping (Especially QAC) .Oh, and DACUS is much easier on Wiichuck, because down smash and A are both under your thumb.

I'm thinking that the benefits of GC controllers might be greater due to having way more buttons, but ironically I find them extremely awkward to use since I went straight from 64 to Brawl, and never had a gamecube. First thing I played on was Wiichuck and it felt totally natural.

Squirtguns

Smash Rookie
I'd probably use Wiichuck if I could comfortably assign grab to something, without giving up my other buttons.
not possible. Only other options are giving up a smash or using the 1 or 2 buttons(and those are impossible to realistically hit in a competitive match).
honestly, i had a hard time getting used to relying on shield grabbing only. I got into SFIV for a while, and that made me a much better shield grabber. just from the similarity of grabbing(grabs are much harder in SF as they hit for a crap load)

Also I find the Dpad to be in a really awkward position to use .
it is awkward at first. but it's as natural as a c-stick to me now.

The other hurdle is getting used to jumping with your left pointer finger(pressing C button on nunchuck)

I recommend all the seasoned brawlers take a week or two to get the controls down. I really feel that going to the wii+ nunchuck combo stepped my game up.

I also got all the people I regularly brawl with to switch from the GC controllers; And they were hardcore wiimote + nunchuck haters.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Captain L I use the same setup.

Only problem is I use Peach, and you need a funky setup to get her floating aerials to work:
+ Up: Jump
+ Right/Left: Grab
+ Down: Down Smash
C: Attack (for my aerials, cause you can't float and attack with A on the nunchuck)

Only problem with WiiMote and Nunchuck is you can't glide toss with it, and it's hard to ledge-hop aerial with Peach with the nunchuck.

the GCN controller is still the definite setup. But I do like the WiiMote/Nunchuck setup. It's all we can use at college so we've been doing that for like 5 months now. I can't say there's too much different besides what I just told you.

PS yes there is a big difference between shieldgrabbing and just grabbing with right or left. And when I map grabs to that, I can't glide toss.

Squirtguns

Smash Rookie
Captain L I use the same setup.

Only problem with WiiMote and Nunchuck is you can't glide toss with it, and it's hard to ledge-hop aerial with Peach with the nunchuck.
Glide toss is absolutely possible. Diddy's one of my mains. i can easily execute all of his glide techs.

All techs that i know of can be done just as easily as on a GC controller. It just takes a dedicated mastery.

1. Map ALL of D-pad to respective smashes.
2. turn up jump and shake smash off.
3. go into training.
4. practice jumping/short hopping/air techs with c
Then move to the smashes. get used to using the d pad.(going from d-pad to A button smooth is a must).

it only takes a bit of conditioning, and not switching to a gamecube cont when you get beat the first 20 times.

once you master it you can pwn hard

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I suppose, but I'm not very deterious with my left fingers. Someting doesn't feel right about jumping with my left index finger while also directing the analog with my left thumb. That's nasty. I tried that for like 3 days and switched immediately.

It's not a Peach tool imo. But I definitely love the WiiMote Nunchuck setup

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
I tried to go with the Wiimote+ Nunchuck for the same reasons, but ultimately I had to admit the gamecube controller is better because of this:

you can't Z-drop items.

I was practicing my ZSS suit piece game, and I had to use A+B to Z-drop them. That was just impossible. Doing it with two different hands might have worked, but the Wiimote is just too awkward to squeeze with such precision and timing. Ultimately I had to set C to grab... no jump button is bad but I could handle it better than no grab button.
Also, you can rotate a C-stick while you can't rotate the Dpad.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Wiichuk has one fatal flaw : it cannot be held by pressing the controller between the palms of your hands. Therefore you use more energy (and focus) to hold a wiichuck than for any regular pad.

Controllers are serious business.

soniclax15

Smash Rookie
I use this style...the way i set up my controls were tap jump is off, and the up and down parts of the d-pad r my smash attacks (the left and right ones r my grab button bcuz its alot easier for)...and also u can bust a DAC if ya wanted to
what i usually do is i press the down button on the d-pad and then do an up smash (the originally way w/out using the up button on the d-pad)...im still tryna get it right but yea...ill have to try and post a vid on youtube for those who'd like to learn how to do a DAC with the wiichuk style

camden

Smash Apprentice
While I do use a Gamecube controller when playing Brawl, I do enjoy useing the Wiichuck combo with my friends now and then. We'll hook them up and start acting out the moves we're doing. It's wicked fun. ^_^

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Actually setting 1 to grab makes Z dropping and pivot grabbing much easier than Z+A.

Actually, what I do is set both 1, 2, and 1+2 to grab so in a flash I can use my palm to grab without shifting my hand at all without worrying about an accidental input.

Nontheless, I would never expect anyone to switch from GCC to Wii-Chuck, Teluoborg is right, it requires intense focus to sync your right and left hand during the match. I often find that even though I know which input gives me which command, it's often difficult to play without watching your own character for fear of unleashing a random FastFall D-air offstage, because I'm not absolutely certain of my controls.

(Wii-chuck players are too good though)

Pleather

Smash Cadet
I tried to go with the Wiimote+ Nunchuck for the same reasons, but ultimately I had to admit the gamecube controller is better because of this:

you can't Z-drop items.

I was practicing my ZSS suit piece game, and I had to use A+B to Z-drop them. That was just impossible. Doing it with two different hands might have worked, but the Wiimote is just too awkward to squeeze with such precision and timing. Ultimately I had to set C to grab... no jump button is bad but I could handle it better than no grab button.
Also, you can rotate a C-stick while you can't rotate the Dpad.
I can't remember the defaults, but I used to set the sides of my D Pad to grabs and z-drop that way. And as for rotating the c-stick, it's actually not relevant in Brawl, because Brawl only picks up c-stick inputs after the c-stick is returned to the center. In that respect (how fast you can spam c-stick inputs) the d-pad is actually better, but of course, the Wiichuck doesn't have enough buttons, IMO, to set the entire d pad to smashes. However, with the c-stick, it's easier to do diagonal directions, which are needed for things like pivot walking.

But ultimately, when my friend gave me a used GCC as a gift, I switched. The main reason is that yeah... the GCC just has way more buttons available. The GCC also never runs out of battery... (Wavebirds and Wiimote recharge stations aside).

But I definitely miss the ease of the Wiichuck's layout, because like the OP said, everything is independent, so you can jump at the exact same time you perform an aerial, or even zap jump without using a claw grip. And I do hate the GCC's shoulder buttons, especially cause they're mapped to shield.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I suppose, but I'm not very deterious with my left fingers. Someting doesn't feel right about jumping with my left index finger while also directing the analog with my left thumb. That's nasty. I tried that for like 3 days and switched immediately.

It's not a Peach tool imo. But I definitely love the WiiMote Nunchuck setup

I use D-Pad for Usmash and Fsmash, granting me the ability to do aerials very well and to do glide tosses.

:052:

Jobes

Smash Apprentice
I also use Wiichuck, and for the whole grab thing... well I have a button assigned to it. I grab with C. I jump with the up arrow. May seem wierd but thats how i originally started and I stuck with it. So the only smash not assigned is up, but shake smash isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It'll screw up a command for me MAYBE once every three matches.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
i use wiichuck with tap jump, c set to shield, z to grab, d pad to smashes, and shake smash off,
honestly, learn to use tap jump :D learning how to effectively do utilt without jumping just takes a little practie (move the stick halfway up so you just barely don't jump)
i works great, only thing that kinda hard with tap jump is constantly perfectly short hopping, so single nana lock is out of the question for me :D

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
I use tap jump so nunchuck has the perfect number of buttons for me (c is grab). I sacrificed my 1 button for jump and my A+B is jump, so in some situations I can still have a jump button. If I really want to do an up taunt, there's the option of disconnect nunchuck + press A.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wiimote + nunchuck has one more flaw. Wireless Frame disadvantage. GCN controllers operate faster.

Don't get me wrong, I love the wiichuck and think it's mad awesome.

I personally hate jumping with C though, I set C to grabs, and my Down direction is jump.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Honestly the only reason why I can see that people won't use Wiichuck is that it is awkward as heck. Well, that and the fact that the GC controls are ingrained in the minds of the people who played Melee....like myself.

If I could commit myself to it, I would totally switch in a heartbeat. But I don't have the will power to do so. It's just so awkward. I'd probably have an easier time switching to just the Wiimote by itself.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Imntolp said:
I use tap jump so nunchuck has the perfect number of buttons for me (c is grab). I sacrificed my 1 button for jump and my A+B is jump, so in some situations I can still have a jump button. If I really want to do an up taunt, there's the option of disconnect nunchuck + press A.
There's no way you can have complete control of your aerial mobility using just tap jump though. How does it work?

And Wiimote alone is the absolute worse thing ever. There's no way to adjust to that thing, seriously. No tilts? No aerial direction? Awkward shielding and grabbing? No 8 directional movement?

No thanks!

Wingy

Smash Rookie
Hmm... I don't bother even having a c-stick, and instead set my directional pad to grabs, leaving the rest default (Except for having Tap Jump off). In my own opinion, I'd suggest anyone else to play a Gamecube unless really decided on Wiimote + Nunchuck, like me. It seems Gamecube controllers have more potential with more buttons, along with not requiring as fast left index finger speed for jumping (I have troubles with Draconic Reverse with that), along with... I believe, lag? Last issue probably really isn't an issue, but just thought I'd throw it out.

*Tw!st3r*

Smash Rookie
Excellent seeing some love for the WiiChuck.

I would agree that the GCN controller feels more natural and for long time smash/melee players it is an easy transition to continue using the GCN controller, but I see no disadvantage to using the WiiChuck. I think it feels more natural just because I'm so used to it but overall it just comes down to preference.

Lack of grab is annoying but I've become so proficient at shieldgrabbing that I don't even notice the lack...Also DACUS, GlideTossing, SHFF'ing, and Pivot grabs are all easy to pull off on the WiiChuck.

tl;dr: WiiChuck ftw!!

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
I can't believe that the person who wrote the OP has exactly the same controls as I do, it's weird. Almost all (apart from the dudes that copied me!) my friends either use the GCN controller, the default wiichuck, or a slightly modded wiichuck controls using the D-pad for taunts (dunno why).

The reason I use the Wiichuck, is because I don't have a GCN, I never got one. The Wiichuck was simply the best controller lying around, so I used.

My advice if you're going to use the Wiichuck, is use the OP's controls and learn how to shield grab really well (before that I did that I didn't grab in the games I played. I know it failed.). Using D-pad for smashes really helps with aerials and it makes all attacks very precise and easy to use.

By the way, I'm only an amateur and I usually win against most of my friends, but against you guys I'd probably lose. So if you want professional advice go elsewhere.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Shieldgrabbing is not an issue, because if you press attack and shield at the same time, it does the same as just pressing a dedicated grab button. You can even dash grab this way.

1. I have been wondering for years what tl;dr stands for
Too long; didn't read
means your post is so long and tedious to read that nobody does it, so you make a more condensed version of your posts so that everyone can understand it

tl;dr:
people don't read walls of text so don't make them

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
There's no way you can have complete control of your aerial mobility using just tap jump though. How does it work?

And Wiimote alone is the absolute worse thing ever. There's no way to adjust to that thing, seriously. No tilts? No aerial direction? Awkward shielding and grabbing? No 8 directional movement?

No thanks!
Aerial mobility is based on using the dpad smash buttons for aerials when you need to, and just getting used to maneuvering the control stick the right way. Tap jump makes it easier to do rising aerials which I use a lot, as well as meteor cancels.
I also like pressing up and a smash button at the same time to do shorthop aerials very quickly.

I never said anything about wiimote alone except that you can disconnect the nunchuck for a second to do a taunt, which isn't really safe anyway.

Squirtguns

Smash Rookie
glad to see the discussion is still going on.

Few things:
1. wiimote+chuck can only compete with GCN controllers with the d-pad mapped to smashes, which means either using tap jump or C to jump. That being said, C jumping is just as responsive as jumping on GCN cont. It's just a matter of getting used to using your left pointer finger.

2. The shielding on wii mote+chuck is better/more responsive than GCN. It's just a fact

3. the loss of a dedicated grab button seems like a big deal untill you realize it's just an extra button you have to press.(and one of them is your shield). You can do any grab/item throw techs you can do on a GCN cont. It's just 2 buttons instead of one.

Laos Oman

Smash Cadet
glad to see the discussion is still going on.

Few things:
1. wiimote+chuck can only compete with GCN controllers with the d-pad mapped to smashes, which means either using tap jump or C to jump. That being said, C jumping is just as responsive as jumping on GCN cont. It's just a matter of getting used to using your left pointer finger.
You could simply map one of the d-pad's directions to jump, and the rest to smashes. I personally use down.

GC controller just feels weird. Too solid. I like being able to move my hands apart.

Top Bottom