• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiimmfi Item Mastery

InFury Z.

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am InFury Z. I am a competitive Brawl player on Wiimmfi who wants to add something to the community.
In this post, I want you to know you can still play Brawl after shutdown of Nintendo WFC. You need Wiimmfi now to play Brawl online.
We all play via Friends mode btw.

After battling people over and over on legal maps without items, I found out that this isn't it. The point of playing Brawl is because I think it is fun, of course (both competitive and casual). I always played casually when I first started playing the game. I actually tried to play competitive online without any knowledge of how that works (items on, etc.)

Now, I decided to focus on playing Brawl with items on. Reasons: playing with items is immensely fun and offers a lot of variety. It also requires much more skill than people realize. There are a lot of different items with different properties. They all interact with each other and you can throw most items. Certain characters have additions acquired when playing with items, like King Dedede.
And when playing with items, you can turn on specific items so every match can have another item set (like Star Rods only on high spawn rate).
Some items are banned, like Clock Timer, Final Smash and Super Star.

I made a Discord to play with other people over Wiimmfi who also want to do this. We can also organize tournaments and discuss about item tactics and banned items.
https://discord.gg/dReSpV8

Have fun!

InFury Z.

Smash Rookie
https://youtu.be/PHAS3RfSD7k
This is what we do here in Item Mastery.
The server also focuses on other Smash games like Ultimate, Sm4sh, Brawl Minus, N64 and SSF2.

I am not convinced that Items make the game more competitive, of course. However, I think it makes the meta game much more interesting and fun.
It also makes the game more balanced.

There are things like stage control which becomes truly a thing. There are lots of Item techniques still undiscovered, especially in Brawl and further.
Techs like Instatossing and Glide Tossing are seen a lot, but to my astonishment, these are not certainly the fundamental Item Techniques. Glide Tossing may be 1 of the techs that may be fundamental depending on your character. But there is so much more.

Items are often seen as extremely unbalanced. Well, this is the case when you put items like Smash Ball, Super Star, Warp Star, Timer Clock, etc. on. These items are not suitable for Item Mastery and never will be.

By turning on the skillful items like Shells, Star Rods, Containers etc. you really need to be familiar with them in order to make any progress in Competitive Item Play. There is simply so much tech involved in those items altogether, that Item Battles victory is truly depending on your skill, and definitely not on luck. Especially if you set 4 stock battle on.
We have played a lot of Item Battles in our server, and advanced item players seem to perform extremely well in 1v1s, which implies that there is indeed skill involved.

On the other hand, we don't know how this would work for top level players. At least, you can have a lot of fun when playing a 'whole new Smash set' like this, we are convinced.
We also came to know that these item battles gradually improve us in standard competitive matches, mainly due to being very familiar with items, resulting in easy counters versus characters like Peach who rely heavily on Items.

Last edited:
Top Bottom