• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Wiichuck' Legality - Five Smash 4 Pros Who Use It Weigh In

Should The 'WiiChuck' Be Legal At Tournaments?

• Yes

Votes: 463 85.6%
  • No

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 27 5.0%

• Total voters

Editors Note: Wireless controllers were announced to be legal at Genesis 3 a while after this article was published. It is still a good read to learn about 'Wiichucks' and controller legality, and we hope readers still enjoy.

While wireless controllers have been legal in the past with Wavebird and Wii Remotes with Nunchuck being use, the six wireless options usable in Smash 4 have brought up issues with controller legality. With Genesis 3 banning the use of the Wii Remote and Nunchuck the discussion has heated up once again. We sat down with five professional Smash 4 players who use the 'Wiichuck' to get their thoughts on the situation.
  • ScAtt - Mega Man Master, has wins over Wizzrobe, Mew2King, StaticManny, Acid, MVD and more. 4th place at Tipped Off 11. Has used a Wii Remote and Nunchuck setup for over seven years.
  • ARC | Myran - Sponsored by Arcane eSports. He's also currently ranked 7th on the Florida Smash 4 Power Rankings. Has used a Wii Remote and Nunchuck setup for over seven years.
  • TearBear - Currently ranked 6th on the SoCal Smash 4 Power Rankings. Double eliminated Nietono at Evo 2015. Has used a Wii Remote and Nunchuck setup for over seven years.
  • Kamicario - One of the best Smash 4 Lucario players in the world. Has had close sets with TSM | ZeRo. Has used a Wii Remote and Nunchuck setup for over five years.
  • Player 7 - Currently undefeated in prized tournaments in Brazil since Smash 4's release. Brazil's best Smash 4 player. Has used a Wii Remote and Nunchuck setup for over seven years.
These players have a total of thirty three years of experience using the controller in various environments and had a lot to say on its legality. Let's take a look at all their thoughts on this issue.

Wii Remote and Nunchuck - Pros

Player 7: I truly believe Wiichucks are better. First thing is because the position of the buttons. A controller where you can jump with one hand and attack with other gives you GREAT mobility. Other is the DI/SDI is much better in the Wiichucks, since you have both of your thumbs always in.

Tearbear: I had tried using all the controllers to see which felt the most natural to me and Wiichuk was the one.

ScAtt: The Wiimote + Nunchuk set-up is actually really flexible in terms of being able to hold the controller in different positions. It's not hard at all to play standing up and you never have to worry about a controller getting snagged anywhere. I'm prone to moving a lot when I play and being able to freely move my controller gives me a sense of control over my actions that I don't feel otherwise.

Kamicario: I love how the c-stick is the d-pad The inputs are also very quick since its a single button tap instead of pushing a stick in a direction. It doesn't have the new mechanic for GCC's where you lose control of your character by pressing the c stick in a direction for a smash. I also enjoy that all my defense/movement options are on the left side with my Nunchuk (jump, shield, and control stick) while my attack options are on the right with the Wiimote (A, B, dpad for smashes, and grabbing). Another huge bonus is you can have your arms in about any position you want.

Myran: Well I like the overall feel of it in my hands, the Gamecube Controller feels clunky. I also prefer most of the buttons/analog stick as opposed to the Gamecube Controller. Especially the Z button and Nunchuck analog stick, but having the d-pad for smashes instead of a c-stick allows me a layer of safety that I won't accidentally hit a diagonal direction and make a tech error. Overall it just feels better than any other controller I use.

Issues In Tournaments

Player 7: Only recently I'm having some issues because of the number of wireless controllers now with Smash 4. There's some sort of bug that when there's too many of them, you start to have some miss inputs in the middle of the match. But by resetting your controller configuration you get rid of that. Other than this one, no problems at all.

Tearbear: I never had any issues with holding up tournaments since I was pretty good about taking my batteries out after any friendly or tournament set and I was pretty good about making sure my batteries were fresh. If anything people would look for me if a Wii needed to be started lol. The only problem Wiimotes suffer from is from excessive wireless interference like microwaves or sometimes stream equipment. It causes my Wiimote to not be so responsive and gives me miss inputs.

ScAtt: There were several cases where wireless interference played a huge role in my own personal performance. As far as issues involving disruption of other matches, it almost never occurred.

Kamikario: At Low tier city a few months ago I was playing Ally and in game 1 I noticed I had maybe a second or more input delay per input. I noticed his phone was directly on the Wii U and I guessed that might be it, so next game I asked him to move his phone and switch seats, the problem was fixed instantly. So from now on I always ask people to move their phones, lol. But outside of that, I have NEVER had an issue like the controller staying connected after a set because I remove the batteries instantly to make sure.

Myran: I have never personally had issues at tournaments. I'm pretty careful about making sure I take my batteries out. It was actually never an issue of being allowed until EVO happened this year, then TBH5 disallowed them, and no G3 is saying the same. I do know at some locals wireless controllers have been left on before, but it's always Pro Controllers, Wiimotes are far less prominent.

"Just Learn To Play With The Gamecube Controller" - Response

Player 7: I also play melee, therefore I know how to play with the GC controller, so not allowing wireless controllers in Genesis wouldn't be a problem at all. Most of people who say to learn the GC have no clue what the Wiimote and Nunchuck are capable of.

Tearbear: Of course I prefer Wiichuk but i had to switch to GameCube for MLG in the Brawl days and actually did pretty good it. I still would have liked to see how I would have done with Wiichuk. I definitely tried using it in friendlies at MLG but the interference was strong in the venue so probably not the best idea.

ScAtt
: "Just learn the Wiimote controller." Trust me, it's easier said than done. I personally do think that it's unreasonable to have to switch off a controller that I've been comfortable with for 7+years, but I do understand the risks of picking this controller. If I'm not able to enjoy the game while playing with the controller that works for me then I'd gladly wait for the next available tournament that allows their use. I completely understand that they can be hassle for certain TOs to deal with but as long as an individual player is responsible it really should not be a problem.

Kamicario: Yeah, it's extremely annoying to hear that. It could take months for someone who has been using wiichuk as long as I have to play 100% with a GameCube controller. The c-stick isn't in the same place, the buttons I'm used to having on the left side aren't there, and the triggers just feel so wrong to me. I think it's somewhat ignorant to say that when they aren't in my situation but I may have to learn the GCC if national tournaments continue to ban wireless.

Myran
: That's a ridiculous thing to ask. Learning a new controller can be difficult by itself, but I've been using this setup for 7 years. For 6 of them I ran into no issues. You wouldn't want me to tell you to pick up Wiimote, so don't tell me to pick up GameCube Controller. Some people just don't like using the controller. I don't use the GameCube controller because I don't like using it, and it's harder for me to use efficiently. I'm not going to change, because some people won't look to compromise.

Can There Be Compromise?

Player 7: Well, if they could made an exception for me I would really appreciate it but as I said I can handle myself with the GCC.

Tearbear
: I've attended Genesis 1 and 2 and I don't recall any problems. I feel like the small amount that truly care could be monitored with registration or something.

ScAtt
: Definitely. There was a great suggestion by Myran where any players with wireless controllers were to be marked upon signing in; that way, it would be easier to track who's causing a disruption in the tournament.

Kamicario: I'd just like to find a solution that works with TO's so the dedicated minority of wireless users are not punished because of lack of knowledge of the newcomers. I think we should also try and fix that lack of knowledge instead of outright ban everyone using it. That's my opinion.

Myran
: A good way to help identify and keep track of wireless controller users could be to have them designate their controller when they sign up for the tournament. This allows the tournament staff to more easily locate the wireless controller users and make sure they turn off their controllers. As well as enforcing strict DQ rules for those who violate the rule once. It may not be the best solution, but it can help find a middle ground for everyone.

---​

A special thank you to all of these players for help with this article. Myran, Kamicario, ScAtt, Tearbear, and Player 7 can all be found on Twitter at the links provided. Now that they have spoke their minds it's time for the public to chime in! Take our poll, sound off in the comments below, and be sure to stay tuned to Smashboards for future articles!

Last edited:

Comments

There's absolutely no reason to ban the WiiChuck if you ask me. Everyone has the right to play the game the way they want to.

Inb4 GCN controller purists saying that the GCN controller is best and that's that

Last edited:
Is it possible to look for ways to find a way to crack down on interference between consoles and controllers as opposed to banning controller options?

It is a widely used controller option. Many people are used to using one form the Brawl days. It would be easier for new players to transfer to Smash 4 if they can use the controller that they have been using for many years.

I cant play with a gc controller because i only have a wii u, so i use a classic controller. it's actually not bad to use, pretty nice in fact.

Is it possible to look for ways to find a way to crack down on interference between consoles and controllers as opposed to banning controller options?
You enforce a rule to remove your batteries when the wireless controller is not in use, force phones and things like that to ALWAYS stay closed. Just limit everything that's wireless.

If that's impossible, you could... uh.... break the laws of physics :yeahboi:

Last edited:
You should be allowed to use any controller. No one is forcing you to go all GameCube controller if you're more used to a different controller.

You should be allowed to use any controller. No one is forcing you to go all GameCube controller if you're more used to a different controller.
Unfortunately, Gamepad has to be banned. Only one per console is allowed. Imagine if two gamepad users had to face each other. What would you do then?

Finally, somebody speaking up for the little guys. I've been using this control setting for at least four years and If my zapper wasn't banned at nationals, I would seriously consider competing again immediately. Yanking out the batteries is faster than rolling up your GC cord, and not hard to remember for anybody on their second third or seventeenth tournament. People do neglect to turn off controllers at locals, but that's where you find the people not used to tourney settings in the first place.

I've heard that there's issues with wii u pro controllers not being able to desync without touching the console itself. That sounds like an issue that we may have to seriously work on. But for Wiichuck, banning those users was thoughtless. And nobody was able to look for the differences between it and other wireless controllers. I hope TOs reconsider this. Somebody call me when I'm no longer banned.

Last edited:
The GCN controller is best and that's that.:troll:
Agreed. If you think you have an advantage using any other controller you're just an idiot.

Also who cares how high these guys place in smash 4 using a nunchuck or wii stick or whatever, I'd love to see them try it in PM. They'd get wrecked.

Personally, I prefer the GCN controller myself because it feels the most natural for me, but I'm not going to give others a hard time just because they use something else. Everyone has their own personal preferences. There is no one, perfect controller.

As far as tournaments go, banning an entire control scheme just seems kinda pointless to me, especially since there are work-arounds for any problems they may cause in a tournament setting.

Also who cares how high these guys place in smash 4 using a nunchuck or wii stick or whatever, I'd love to see them try it in PM. They'd get wrecked.
Only because the infared connection between PM (Brawl) and a wii mote is garbage. The Wii U's is much stronger. A dude checking his facebook on his phone behind me was disrupting me during a PM set once. We're talking about Smash 4, but I'm sure I'd have loved taking you on in PM when I used to play.

Nice read; I'm kind of surprised about the "phone on Wii U" incident.. While I typically have nothing resting on home consoles at all, I can see how that issue could arise..

Inb4 GCN controller purists saying that the GCN controller is best and that's that
B-but it is. :seuss:

But yeah; personal preference and all that. While I'm much more accustomed to the Nintendo GameCube Controller now and advocate its use (after having used the Nintendo 64 Controller), I dislike the act of disallowing the use of certain Controllers. I would be horrified if GameCube controllers suffered a similar ban (even more so if I was forced to use the Wiimote-only layout.. *shudders*), so I don't see why "Wii-mote + Nunchuck" users should be shafted. I like Myran's suggestion of "strict disqualification" if someone disrupts a match by "forgetting to removes batteries/forgetting to de-sync controller"; while I'd be more forgiving for first-time tourney-goers (as mistakes do happen), the act of "removing batteries/de-syncing" immediately after a match/set should become as second-nature as playing Super Smash Bros. itself to alleviate tournament concerns and foster usage of wireless options. We're lucky to have great longevity for the Nintendo GameCube controller across two home-console generations - there may be a time where we will have to resort to wireless options due to Technology Marching On/Nintendo not bothering to produce wired alternative controller options..

Unfortunately, Gamepad has to be banned. Only one per console is allowed. Imagine if two gamepad users had to face each other. What would you do then?
Oh, wow; true...I remember Nintendo saying that the Wii U had the potential to support 2 Wii U GamePads simultaneously, although it seems like that feature has not been reliably implemented yet..

Makes no sense to ban it. You've been using it since Brawl and now being forced to pick up a controller they don't want? I can use Gamepad, GCC, and Pro Controller, I don't like the Wii mote but I've never really given it a try. If they forced me to use Wiimote I'd be screwed lol.

Agreed. If you think you have an advantage using any other controller you're just an idiot.

Why do you feel the need to be a completely unlikable bigot in every comment section mentioning Smash 4?

Fun fact: Nobody likes that. It's annoying, and you accomplish nothing from it whatsoever.

Last edited:

AAYYY Tell Nazo Nazo that lmao

As someone who actually to'd several smash 4 tournaments of various scales up to what, 120+ people regional, I'm all for banning wireless controllers in general because too many players in the events have been careless and lazy, and not desynced or pulled out their batteries, and it's not fair to even one person if someone else's wireless controller caused them to lose an entire set or restart a game fresh, and i can see why bigger venues especially those pulling in players that haven't been playing since at least brawl would be concerned about banning the devices.

To be clear, i'm against wireless controllers in general, but honestly, wiimote and nunchuck is the least offending of all of them since they tend to be really easy to you know, simply pull the batteries out.

D
Nazo is one of the best PM Sonic mains and he uses Nunchuck...

My friend is the best nunchuck player in the state. He mains Lucario and places well in tourneys.

In PM tourneys.

As someone who actually to'd several smash 4 tournaments of various scales up to what, 120+ people regional, I'm all for banning wireless controllers in general because too many players in the events have been careless and lazy, and not desynced or pulled out their batteries, and it's not fair to even one person if someone else's wireless controller caused them to lose an entire set or restart a game fresh, and i can see why bigger venues especially those pulling in players that haven't been playing since at least brawl would be concerned about banning the devices.

To be clear, i'm against wireless controllers in general, but honestly, wiimote and nunchuck is the least offending of all of them since they tend to be really easy to you know, simply pull the batteries out.
The thing is that large scale tournaments like CEO, STR and Apex have ran with them just fine. I proposed a more well explained solution on the Genesis page that only requires some slight added effort and attentive staff.

Last edited:
Even though I mostly play on 3DS when I have access to Smash 4, I prefer the Gamecube controller after using it in tournaments and friendlies. I'm glad I can do advanced tech without fear of breaking my analog stick, lol.

Though, if someone still prefers their own control method, why stop them? It's kind of like forcing pad players to use an arcade stick for fighting game tournaments, even though both have their own pros and cons (for me, some games feel better on pad than stick). If Wiichucks didn't cause any major problems (from what I know), why ban them now? I'm curious. :/

Even though I mostly play on 3DS when I have access to Smash 4, I prefer the Gamecube controller after using it in tournaments and friendlies. I'm glad I can do advanced tech without fear of breaking my analog stick, lol.

Though, if someone still prefers their own control method, why stop them? It's kind of like forcing pad players to use an arcade stick for fighting game tournaments, even though both have their own pros and cons (for me, some games feel better on pad than stick). If Wiichucks didn't cause any major problems (from what I know), why ban them now? I'm curious. :/
I was about to post something along these lines but you pretty much summed up what I was going to say. It is strange for me, a Greninja main to be :4greninja:'d

I believe I have seen two - maybe three individual around my area who uses the Wiichuck. One of which who has wrecked house on many occasions. I also use the Wired Fightpad and Pro controller.

Wireless shouldn't cause so big a problem that they should be banned.
There are those who have played with a pure Wiimote and able to perform. It almost seems unreasonable to exclude those who have put so much time and effort into something they are comfortable with.

I did use it in PM for the short time I played it.

The thing is that large scale tournaments like CEO, STR and Apex have ran with them just fine. I proposed a more well explained solution on the Genesis page that only requires some slight added effort and attentive staff.
True enough, but I've putting my two cents in as someone who has encountered players who disrespectfully popped off setups and not bothered to remove their batteries or desync their wireless controllers.

What's the worse that happens with a gamecube controller?

On another note, the tournament's i've ran recently haven't prevented people from using wireless controllers included nunchuck and mote with little to no issues, but that very well could have been because we actually enough manpower this time around because the events ran pools, and had less people on the floor at once trying to play and spectate.

There isn't one controller that gives you advantage, is it wrong for me to think that I can win even if I'm using a non GC controller?
How is Project M relevant? This is a smash 4 discussion. Not to mention, there are PM players that do well with Wireless controllers.

The thing I hated about the Wiimote setup is the fact they have the shake option to mash out of grabs. I've faced over 8 players who use them in tourney and they all shake rapidly to mash out of grabs. 6 out of the 8 bumped into me and caused me to put in a wrong input and basically caused me to die from that mistake. I'm not even overreacting, but if this issue doesn't apply then it doesn't matter.

My very first brawl tournament I attended they banned wiichucks and all other wireless controllers. But of course I ignored that and showed up to the tournament anyway with my wiichuck, I mean who's gonna know? other than my opponent... I doubt the TOs are gonna hover over me waiting for me to whip out my controller round 1.

But yea, I play PM and smash 4 with a wiichuck (7+ years) and I find it 1000Xs easier than a GCN controller. I've tried switching over; literally impossible. Just let the wiichuck warriors be warriors man... you're limiting the player base and segregating us based on our controller, it's not cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom