• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WiiBrawlin Sponsors Joaco!

WiiBrawlin is a new community hub "preservation and revival of competitive Super Smash Brothers Brawl." Today they have announced in their efforts to do so that they will be sponsoring Joaquín 'Joaco' Muñoz!

This player from Buenos Ares, Argentina has taken sets off of players like NickRiddle, Seibrik, ANTi, and even TSM ZeRo (who was his old training partner) in Brawl and have over 20 top 5 Brawl placements to his name. On top of this he's also the second best Smash 4 player in Argentina.

"I will do whatever I can to promote WiiBrawlin." Joaco said in the official announcement. "I'm looking forward to it. Let's make Brawl as popular as it was before!"

The official announcement also states he will first play under the tag at Genesis 3 and will soon after begin to stream Brawl to help grow and promote the game. To keep up with Joaco's future Brawling adventures be sure to follow him on Twitter. For more information on WiiBrawlin be sure to visit its website.

Excited to see a player being sponsored for Brawl in 2016? Expect him to do well at Genesis 3? Let us know in the comments below and keep an eye on Smashboards for future sponsorship coverage.

Last edited:

Comments

Brawl was never competitive, neither is the new smash games. They all appeal more so to a target audiance then they do people trying to be good at the game.

Nothing beats original Smash bros or even Melee. IMO there hasn't been a real smash game since melee.

While I feel that Brawl is not a very good competitive game, I can certainly appreciate that it still has a loyal following. Good luck!

User was warned for this post
While I feel that Brawl is not a very good competitive game, I can certainly appreciate that it still has a loyal following. Good luck!
The same can be said for the new smash, and anyone after that. Nintendo isn't going to intentionally target a "compeititve" based community like smash because they have a set target audiance and it appeals to a much broader set of people including you all. There will continue to be more gameplay cores appealing to this audiance as well, such as "tripping" or "reverse ledge grabbing" or even directional Bs. And of course the whole developing the game after release which brings another world of problems into the matter.

Edit: whoeever "warned" me can you please tell me wha I said was wtrong in this post?

Last edited:
Brawl was never competitive, neither is the new smash games. They all appeal more so to a target audiance then they do people trying to be good at the game.

Nothing beats original Smash bros or even Melee. IMO there hasn't been a real smash game since melee.
This statement has always annoyed me. Competitiveness can't be measured, things are either competitive or not competitive saying something is "less competitive" is wrong and shows your level of ignorance in competitive games.

Last edited:
This statement has always annoyed me. Competitiveness can't be measured, things are either competitive or not competitive saying something is "less competitive" is wrong and shows your level of ignorance in competitive games.
Competitiveness can obviously be measured by how hard someone is trying to do something with the knowledge they have. New smash games are even more so targetting family and child audiances because of the series popularity and since newer technology allows them to do more. Every smash game's intent or original purpose was somewhat targetted towards that middle class japanese pai sho experts and white american soccer moms. However with older technology like N64 or Gamecube the games were developed with a more finite way of making the game. The first smash bros wasn't even going to be smash bros but it was made with the same core mechanics but with Nintendo theme. Then that was a good idea in it's self which is why Melee went a step farther to add things like changable character moves or the Event system and the story mode thing. The previous smash games have followed this same concept of appealing to more people by introducing more core game elements or dumbing them down like Reverse ledge grabs, scaling maps down with increase character sizes, etc..

Competitiveness can obviously be measured by how hard someone is trying to do something with the knowledge they have.
That's a common fallacy about competitiveness in games, when you look at it everything thats main goal is to win has a competitive character and Smash 4 or Brawl are no different. You are getting things wrong here, what you stated is called difficulty in a game; lack of tech, lack of options among other factors can make a game less difficult (even tho Brawl MK is one of the most technical characters in the Smash series) but the competitive spirit of the game is still there. Honestly I don't really want to waste more time with you so I'll leave this Tafotalk if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Not to sound mean but.... Why go back to brawl? Has everyone forgotten how broken mk was? Hitstun cancelling? Planking? How super campy the whole game was? The imbalance? Tripping?

Sure you get ice climbers back, snake, wolf etc but I don't think the bad makes up for the good. Things will go right back to mk taking 90% of winnings again, and people complaining about how barely anyone else is viable while he's around. Unless the community actually pushes mk's ban, and keeps it in place this time, I see this "revival" fizzling out for the same reason brawl died in the first place; better alternatives exist now.

Not to sound mean but.... Why go back to brawl? Has everyone forgotten how broken mk was? Hitstun cancelling? Planking? How super campy the whole game was? The imbalance? Tripping?

Sure you get ice climbers back, snake, wolf etc but I don't think the bad makes up for the good. Things will go right back to mk taking 90% of winnings again, and people complaining about how barely anyone else is viable while he's around. Unless the community actually pushes mk's ban, and keeps it in place this time, I see this "revival" fizzling out for the same reason brawl died in the first place; better alternatives exist now.
Because no one can find a way to get around mk

That's a common fallacy about competitiveness in games, when you look at it everything thats main goal is to win has a competitive character and Smash 4 or Brawl are no different. You are getting things wrong here, what you stated is called difficulty in a game; lack of tech, lack of options among other factors can make a game less difficult (even tho Brawl MK is one of the most technical characters in the Smash series) but the competitive spirit of the game is still there. Honestly I don't really want to waste more time with you so I'll leave this Tafotalk if you have any questions.

It's not a matter of "difficulty" in the game, techs and what you can do are not difficult or any irrelevant opinion like that. Someone could say wavedashing is too hard while someone else will say it's super easy even with Fox. I stated no fallacy about competitiveness, what you did just here was called Ingoratio Elenchi I'll just let you figure that one out on your own.

Also the goal of being competitive is not always about winning sometimes its about proving how much better you are than the other person. Competition in it's self is about having a same goal and achieving that goal better than the other person. And using one character may be more competitive but ultimately sticking to one character limits you in a lot of ways until you have just played for a long enough time you've learned how to approach and avoid other characters. Thus you are better off learning multiple characters at any point mostly after you've reached a certain level of skill. Competitive play doesn't mean you have to be using a "main" and trying your absolute best with them executing the same gimps or early death combos. You can be extremely competitive and sandbag, you can try out new ideas or just force people to play a certain way. Competition has never been about mere wins or loses, it's been about how overall dominating you are at the game. Take Isai for example, I know you new kids may have no idea who he is but he's literally the only good smash64 player while every single other player including top 10 apex players and the winner boomfan all suck in comparison to him. Yeah he played a counter pick and boomfan did his very best to avoid and gimp him on a counter pick map as well. But that doesn't mean because isai allowed him self to lose that boomfans in any regard better than him even in that Falcon on Link on Dreamland matchup. It was purely a matter of competition, but that doesn't always define how good someone is.

Because no one can find a way to get around mk
I never said he was "impossible" to beat. But then again, technically neither are the broken characters that have been banned in other fighters. You still have to pretty much limit yourself to a very tiny set of characters, hope when you get a read on him that you have a reliable set of moves to get a solid punish on him( because as the famous Diddy main of brawl, adhd basically said, mk can punish you even when get a strong read on him ) play leaps and bounds better then the mk player overall , and at the end of the day, keep a pocket meta knight yourself just to realistically stand a chance. Have people really forgotten just HOW MUCH he was dominating the scene? I mean w/e, obviously no one can stop people playing it, but just remember, a single character alone pretty much killed the scene, forced several mods of the game to be created, and helped cause a renaissance of popularity for the previous game to happen making it more popular than ever before.

Last edited:
LiteralGrill LiteralGrill , the guy can't be from Argentina and Brazil at the same time. He can't be the second best Smash 4 player in Brazil if he competes in Argentina, he doesn't attend tournaments here in Brazil. I believe the source used was confused on where he's power ranked.

Plus, "argentina" has a typo on the post, it says "arengtina".

Good luck for Joaco and Brawl as well.

Last edited:
would be cool to see a mod to the game like 20XXTE, i think it would need less amount of development since brawl is easier to hack :p

That's Excellent News for brawl I'm Glad Brawl was My first Smash Games that I played and begin as a casual/competitive Player and the reason that I Love Smash Games in the first place I do think Brawl have a lot of potential to become a hit once again to the world sure Metal Knight no Broken Characters may be very tough and unfair too but NEVER I mean NEVER unbeatable There always a way to overcome that :) I do hope What you guys are doing Help a lot brawl to become a hit once more and I wish you nothing but the best guys. :)

Last edited:
I still don't understand why brawl is getting love now not before but anyways congratulations
Because it's no longer cool to hate it. Melee players hate Smash 4 these days. If Brawl ever comes back, expect it to start up again.

Speaking of which, Brawl is coming back! Awesome!

Saying he's the 2nd best Smash4 player in Brazil is pretty innacurate since he never attended to tournaments here. I wonder where you guys got this information from.

I've been hosting and supporting the biggest tournaments in Brazil since 2010 and never seen this guy around.

Thanks and great writing btw, I'm not a fan from Brawl series anymore, but if this brings more players to the community I'm fine with it.

Last edited:
I would love Brawl to come back but I would still be saddened by the unevenness in tier lists.

I wish that a PM-esk mod could be done to simply balance it without changing any of the main mechanics.

Buenos Aires, Argentina*

While I have tons of fond memories of Brawl (and I prefer Brawl's Kirby and ZSS over Smash 4's versions), I think we should just lay it to rest. The gameplay differences between Brawl and Smash 4 are too small to justify dividing the competitive playerbase further.

I would love Brawl to come back but I would still be saddened by the unevenness in tier lists.

I wish that a PM-esk mod could be done to simply balance it without changing any of the main mechanics.
...You know the entire reason PM got so much support was BECAUSE it changed the mechanics, right? The Smash community is so caught up in Melee that anything different is immediately dismissed. Three other major mods have been released: Brawl+, Balanced Brawl, and Brawl-. Brawl+ and Balanced Brawl were both serious attempts to balance the game, and Brawl- is a joke attempt at balance by making everyone ridiculously OP.

...You know the entire reason PM got so much support was BECAUSE it changed the mechanics, right? The Smash community is so caught up in Melee that anything different is immediately dismissed.
It's not really a bad thing, and that's not entirely true. Everyone, even the melee elitists, give new Smash games a chance before deciding if they want to go back or not. Would you rather have a bunch of frustrated players talking about how much they hate the game they're playing, or have those players go back to playing the game they like more?

I for one think Melee was the apex of the Smash series so far. Brawl and Smash 4 were fun, but there's something about precise execution and fast-paced gameplay, both from a player and a spectator point of view, that you can't find anywhere else. Maybe that's what they see when they go back to Melee?

I personally just go to the most recent iteration, but I can't disagree with them that actually doing sweet fast-paced combos feels great. It's an euphoria you can't find by doing utilt > uair juggles or 3-hit combos.

Last edited:
Also the goal of being competitive is not always about winning sometimes its about proving how much better you are than the other person.
Ummm... what?!

That's how you prove you're better. After reading so much of this unnecessary debacle, I feel like you're just trying to start something out of nothing.

Brawl has a community that wants it to live. You've got two choices here: Applaud the community's valor or turn a blind eye. The rest is just adverse to what any community needs.

Ummm... what?!

That's how you prove you're better. After reading so much of this unnecessary debacle, I feel like you're just trying to start something out of nothing.

Brawl has a community that wants it to live. You've got two choices here: Applaud the community's valor or turn a blind eye. The rest is just adverse to what any community needs.
I'm not starting anything out of nothing I'm stating facts in Real smash games you can competitively play around but not necessarily sandbag. Because you can actually COMBO in these games unlike the new smash games which are at most just a few hits no real juggling people onto platforms or light knockbacking people into combos. It's probably just SMASH 64 because it's the original smash but if you look at top apex winners they are all bad. There is a huge gap between majority of players even now compared to anyone who's relatively "good" by my standards. That's not to even mention Isai who is casually competitive, he just likes to do combos and that's what the game really comes down to is combos. You can ledge grab, edge guard, gimp combos, but the real game is when you are able to do tons of different combos from any position because you've played so much.

Top Bottom