• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii2HDMI, FasterMelee or CRT?

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
I've recently gotten a lagless monitor (10ms) and I'm considering getting a Wii2HDMI to play Melee on and getting rid of my CRT, but I wanted to know if it was worth it first.

Does Wii2HDMI have any input lag and/or drop in visual quality?
Would it be worth keeping the CRT now that I've got this monitor?
And is it even worth getting a Wii2HDMI if I can just use Faster Melee? Or is the lag on FM more than on a Wii2HDMI?

Thanks!

Pauer

The Pauerful
Does Wii2HDMI have any input lag and/or drop in visual quality?
The sewell Wii2HDMI has anywhere from 0 to around 4 ms of input lag, though probably close to 0.
It's definitely worth keeping the CRT because your monitor still has a good amount of lag. The 10ms you are referring to is only the response time, not the total input lag (google response time vs input lag or view some of my comments here). I would consider even 10ms unplayable but you likely have more than 1 frame (16ms) of input lag.
However, Faster Melee will most likely be able to make up for the delay, allowing you to enjoy lagless melee but only with FM.

I would definitely keep the CRT and practice most on the CRT nevertheless. Whenever I play on a monitor for large amounts of time, I need a bit of time for getting used to a CRT again - there will always be some differences.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I find faster Melee to be pretty weird even on my 1 ms response time practically CRT level input lag gaming monitor, maybe it's just some settings issue but it doesn't feel quite right.

If your monitor has 10 frames of input lag rather than 10 ms GTG response time you should be fine playing on a Sewell, but if its response time I find it unlikely that you would have a lagless set up for Melee.

Top Bottom