• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Pretty good. It's more Wipeout than F-Zero, but it's a solid speed racer. It's not got the most tracks or vehicle variance, and the match making is a bit wonky, but it's still an enjoyable multiplayer experience especially for the price. Single player is pretty limited if that's what you care about, and the difficulty ramps up way too fast for most, but multiplayer is where it's best served so I don't have a massive issue with that.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Did anyone pick up Fast Racing Neo?

Thoughts?
:link:
I see a lot of people comparing it to F-Zero, and to be blunt (as someone who has played and still owns games like GX), it is definitely not F-Zero at all to me personally. I mean, honestly, just looking at it if you're knowledgeable with a game like GX, you could to that it isn't F-Zero. Now. . . That is /not/ to say that that means it is inherently bad (FRN), but it's just a different feel is all. Me personally, I'm not going to pick it up, but I'd maybe suggest getting a few more opinions or testing it out yourself before you make your decision. ^_^

Last edited:

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I see a lot of people comparing it to F-Zero, and to be blunt (as someone who has played and still owns games like GX), it is definitely not F-Zero at all to me personally. I mean, honestly, just looking at it if you're knowledgeable with a game like GX, you could to that it isn't F-Zero. Now. . . That is /not/ to say that that means it is inherently bad (FRN), but it's just a different feel is all. Me personally, I'm not going to pick it up, but I'd maybe suggest getting a few more opinions or testing it out yourself before you make your decision. ^_^
I bought it the day it came out, and I agree. I've enoyed Neo, but it's lacking in certain aspects compared to F-Zero. It's certainly more comparable to Wipeout, especially from a gameplay and design perspective. Neo's cars aren't very memorable, and I couldn't hum a song from the game if I tried. The boost pads and phase switches are really cool, and add quite a bit to the experience.

While the soundtrack might not be anything special, the sound effects are fantastic. Along with the racing itself; the sound effects are the best part of the game.

For those debating on buying Fast Racing: Neo: it's worth the $15, but don't go in expecting an F-Zero replacement. It's a solid game that sets a high standard for eShop downloads.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
I have a 32 Inch 1080p HDTV with only slots for component and HDMI , and I was wondering what you guys think would be the best way to hook up my Wii to it. Should I use component cables, Wii2HDMI 480p, or Wii2HDMI 720p/1080p?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I have a 32 Inch 1080p HDTV with only slots for component and HDMI , and I was wondering what you guys think would be the best way to hook up my Wii to it. Should I use component cables, Wii2HDMI 480p, or Wii2HDMI 720p/1080p?
I suggest hooking up the original Wii with component cables. You can order them for around $6 shipped from the reputable on-line retailer Monoprice. The original Wii can only output 480p (progressive scan) so HDMI is a waste.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I think this is the right thread to ask this.
So. Since Christmas, I've been wondering if buying a Wii U is a good idea. I will admit: It's mostly for Super Smash Bros., but I won't buy it just for that, since the last time I bought a videogame for only one game, my 3DSXL, I very deeply regretted it and still do to this very day. So, in case I get it, to justify my purchase, what else should I get?
The two I already have in mind are Smash and Hyrule Warriors, and I'll only get it if I can find atleast 10 games (8 more) of my interest, but I'll willingly drop the list down to 5 (3 more) if the combined playtime of those 5 games reaches might someday reach about 300 hours. Thpse numbers might seem big, but to use some previous consoles and games I have as examples:
  • With my Xbox 360, I got it with 5 games in mind, bought 17 more down the line, and I achieved about 300 hours with 3 games - Modern Warfare 3 (170 hours), GTAIV (~80 hours, it's very hard to tell since I don't always save), Black Ops 2 (~55 hours, Again, very hard to tell since it doesn't tell you how long you played Zombies, SP, and Splitscreen MP, just online MP, and it's been very long since I checked that);

• I got my DS with 7 games in mind, got 11 more, and I achieved about 300 hours with 5 games - Pokemon Soul Silver (~135 hours again with the "I don't always save" thing screwing up the maths), Pokemon Platinum (~80 hours), GTA: CW (~35 hours), Pokemon Black 2 (~28 hours), Pokemon Black (~20 hours);

• But with my 3DS? I bought it with only one game in mind: Pokemon Y, and it was my only game for over a year and a half, from November 2013 to August this year, so I had to make the most of it, so I played it for 153:11 hours, but seriously, about a hundred of those hours was just me breeding for IVs, so the actual playtime of that game probably doesn't go past 50 hours. I was in such a desperate need to get a use out of my 3DS that was collecting dust this year that I got the Smash 3DS demo and played it for 20:19, which is sad both because I had to resort to playing a demo for so long, and because I played it for longer than I played actual full games. Now that I have the full game, I played it for 168:47, and unlike Pokemon Y, that's actual playtime (unless the 3DS counts time it's been closed with the game on as playtime. If it does, you can easily shave something like 80 hours out of that), and now I have Fire Emblem: Awakening, that I have played for 9:06 and I'm still on Chapter 6. So, on paper I've achieved 351 hours with just three full games and a demo, but I honestly don't count those 100 or so hours that I spent breeding Pokemon, so it's only about 251 hours. This wouldn't be a problem if I had more games in mind for it, but honestly, those 3 games are the only ones in the entire 3DS lineup that interest me, and that is why I'm skeptical about getting a Wii U.
So, what are the games you guys most like on the Wii U and why? I don't want to feel like I wasted my money, again.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I think this is the right thread to ask this.
So. Since Christmas, I've been wondering if buying a Wii U is a good idea. I will admit: It's mostly for Super Smash Bros., but I won't buy it just for that, since the last time I bought a videogame for only one game, my 3DSXL, I very deeply regretted it and still do to this very day. So, in case I get it, to justify my purchase, what else should I get?
The two I already have in mind are Smash and Hyrule Warriors, and I'll only get it if I can find atleast 10 games (8 more) of my interest, but I'll willingly drop the list down to 5 (3 more) if the combined playtime of those 5 games reaches might someday reach about 300 hours. Thpse numbers might seem big, but to use some previous consoles and games I have as examples:
  • With my Xbox 360, I got it with 5 games in mind, bought 17 more down the line, and I achieved about 300 hours with 3 games - Modern Warfare 3 (170 hours), GTAIV (~80 hours, it's very hard to tell since I don't always save), Black Ops 2 (~55 hours, Again, very hard to tell since it doesn't tell you how long you played Zombies, SP, and Splitscreen MP, just online MP, and it's been very long since I checked that);

• I got my DS with 7 games in mind, got 11 more, and I achieved about 300 hours with 5 games - Pokemon Soul Silver (~135 hours again with the "I don't always save" thing screwing up the maths), Pokemon Platinum (~80 hours), GTA: CW (~35 hours), Pokemon Black 2 (~28 hours), Pokemon Black (~20 hours);

• But with my 3DS? I bought it with only one game in mind: Pokemon Y, and it was my only game for over a year and a half, from November 2013 to August this year, so I had to make the most of it, so I played it for 153:11 hours, but seriously, about a hundred of those hours was just me breeding for IVs, so the actual playtime of that game probably doesn't go past 50 hours. I was in such a desperate need to get a use out of my 3DS that was collecting dust this year that I got the Smash 3DS demo and played it for 20:19, which is sad both because I had to resort to playing a demo for so long, and because I played it for longer than I played actual full games. Now that I have the full game, I played it for 168:47, and unlike Pokemon Y, that's actual playtime (unless the 3DS counts time it's been closed with the game on as playtime. If it does, you can easily shave something like 80 hours out of that), and now I have Fire Emblem: Awakening, that I have played for 9:06 and I'm still on Chapter 6. So, on paper I've achieved 351 hours with just three full games and a demo, but I honestly don't count those 100 or so hours that I spent breeding Pokemon, so it's only about 251 hours. This wouldn't be a problem if I had more games in mind for it, but honestly, those 3 games are the only ones in the entire 3DS lineup that interest me, and that is why I'm skeptical about getting a Wii U.
So, what are the games you guys most like on the Wii U and why? I don't want to feel like I wasted my money, again.
If you can't find more than 3 games on 3DS then buy a PC. The 3DS library is very strong, but going by your records your main interest is shooters for which PC is the optimal platform (GTA maybe less so thanks to the driving, but I've not tried to comment). Since you seem interested in Pokémon competitive (IVs) I'd suggest moving to Pokémon showdown as it's got a better community than on cart, and otherwise skip consoles entirely. You'll save more money on the PCDVD prices (or steam sales) compared to Blu-Ray (normally about $10 a pop) over 15 games than you would on picking a cheaper current gen console.

If you are asking for Wii U games though Splatoon (currently clocking 280 hours) is an absolute must and LEGO City Undercover (80 hours to 100%, though I did spend plenty of time just messing about in that clock too) will probably be up your street going by GTA, but other than that I don't know what to recommend. Most of the best games otherwise are platformers (3D World, Yoshi's Wooly World, Tropical Freeze, Rayman Legend [which is multiplat]), which you've shown no interest in (especially if you haven't played Triple Deluxe).

Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zombi U (multiplat, though loosing the gamepad does hurt it) and Fatal Frame 5 (though, be aware of some control quirks) are also games I'd suggest, but again, you've not shown any interest in their respective genres (unless you're really loose with Hyrule Warriors being an action game like Bayonetta I guess). And I'd half suggest Rodea the Sky Soldier, but the Wii version (which is bundled with first prints of the Wii U version) is the version to play, and you can get a Wii much cheaper.

In smaller games the Wii U Year Walk (horror, though harder to define than just that) is the best version, though it is on mobile too. Affordable Space Adventures is great couch co-op, though not really worth it to play alone imo. NES Remix is alot of fun, but you've gotta be into classic games of course. Captain Toad and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse are also really good for a smaller experience. Starwhal is amazing, but again, couch multiplayer is a must [Multiplat]. Freedom Planet is awesome but available on PC. Pier Solar, same boat, you can get it elsewhere (even the megadrive) but it's wonderful. It has the second best version of Child of Light thanks to the touchscreen (Vita is better, but finding games to justify a Vita...), but it's not really enough to discount the other options, and it is on 360 which you already have, so (I think Pier Solar may be in that boat too)... There are plenty of other good (but less notable) smaller games too, and a bunch of virtual console titles worth getting if you haven't already got them...

That said if you don't have a Wii (you didn't mention it) then the Wii U probably is more worth it since you get to catch up on the games you missed there, like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword (you are interested in Hyrule Warriors), Sin and Punishment 2 (I don't know if you like rail shooters as much, but this is one of the best in the whole genre), and like 20 (or more) other games I could easily suggest outside of those genres. I guess it's worth subtracting the Wii's price from the Wii U in that case to see if it's better for you though.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Well, two reply to some of the stuff you said:
If you can't find more than 3 games on 3DS then buy a PC. The 3DS library is very strong, but going by your records your main interest is shooters for which PC is the optimal platform (GTA maybe less so thanks to the driving, but I've not tried to comment).

And it's only the tip of the iceberg, really.
I want a Wii U so I could get the exclusives. Thing is, Smash kind of doesn't count as one, since I have the 3DS version, which is why I'd need a lot more games for it than that.
Since you seem interested in Pokémon competitive (IVs) I'd suggest moving to Pokémon showdown as it's got a better community than on cart
That's actually the reason I stopped playing Pokemon Y. Pokemon Showdown made it completely obsolete. Then I got tired of Pokemon in general and both Showdown and Y are catching dust, and it's why I don't want to get Alpha Sapphire.

And, well, I'm actually really open minded towards games. The only genres I don't like nowadays are 2D and 3D platformers, pretty much, and even then, it's not like I'm not gonna play them if I have no choice, so I might look into the games you recommended.

And I do have a Wii that can play Gamecube games and a proper Gamecube, so I sure wouldn't buy a Wii U for backwards compatibility either, I'm afraid that, if I were to buy it, it would have to sell itself on current gen games alone.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Well, two reply to some of the stuff you said:

And it's only the tip of the iceberg, really.
I want a Wii U so I could get the exclusives. Thing is, Smash kind of doesn't count as one, since I have the 3DS version, which is why I'd need a lot more games for it than that.

That's actually the reason I stopped playing Pokemon Y. Pokemon Showdown made it completely obsolete. Then I got tired of Pokemon in general and both Showdown and Y are catching dust, and it's why I don't want to get Alpha Sapphire.

And, well, I'm actually really open minded towards games. The only genres I don't like nowadays are 2D and 3D platformers, pretty much, and even then, it's not like I'm not gonna play them if I have no choice, so I might look into the games you recommended.

And I do have a Wii that can play Gamecube games and a proper Gamecube, so I sure wouldn't buy a Wii U for backwards compatibility either, I'm afraid that, if I were to buy it, it would have to sell itself on current gen games alone.

Yeah, very different focus than my steam library, but PC is definitely the best thing to own this gen. I love my Wii U, but it can't match... my PS4 though is incredibly dusty.

Gen VI drained all my enjoyment from the series, I don't know how they managed to ruin it so quickly, it steadily improved up to Gen V but VI just got so gimmicky with some of it's new pokémon and mega-evolutions that it's just not fun any more. Still I stopped buying pokémon for anything but support ages ago, I've just got to figure out if I still care when Gen VII comes around...

Anyways, happy I could help, hope you find something you're interested in.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Well, so far, I have 3 games...
  1. Smash (obviously, as previously mentioned);
  2. Hyrule Warriors (I want to try it out);
  3. and Bayonetta 2.
Splatoon is a game I have 0 interest in, sadly, and Super Mario Maker costs an absurd price, here. There's also the fact I have used Lunar Magic a lot in the past, which makes me kind of biased against it. Speaking of biased against something, I probably won't ever play another Mario Kart game after Wii, which I've grown to detest after playing it for a couple hundred hours. I could get Wind Waker dirt cheap to play on my Wii right now, but I don't want to, so I wouldn't get it for the Wii U, either.
Are Game & Wario or Nintendo Land any good? I really hope Wario Ware isn't suffering the same fate Paper Mario did where they started getting sidetracked with what made the games good and then killed the series. Even if those 2 are any good, I still doubt any of them besides Smash are any long. I have never played Xenoblade and I have no idea what it's like, so maybe I could risk that?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
  3. and Bayonetta 2.
Splatoon is a game I have 0 interest in, sadly, and Super Mario Maker costs an absurd price, here. There's also the fact I have used Lunar Magic a lot in the past, which makes me kind of biased against it. Speaking of biased against something, I probably won't ever play another Mario Kart game after Wii, which I've grown to detest after playing it for a couple hundred hours. I could get Wind Waker dirt cheap to play on my Wii right now, but I don't want to, so I wouldn't get it for the Wii U, either.
Are Game & Wario or Nintendo Land any good? I really hope Wario Ware isn't suffering the same fate Paper Mario did where they started getting sidetracked with what made the games good and then killed the series. Even if those 2 are any good, I still doubt any of them besides Smash are any long. I have never played Xenoblade and I have no idea what it's like, so maybe I could risk that?
Good choices to be fair. Hyrule Warriors is my favourite Musou game, so it's definitely worth a go, and I do have over 100 hours on it from popping back every once in a while (those DLC adventure maps just keep on going). You might notice I didn't recommend Mario Maker, and for a reason, it's incredibly limited and even with the recent improvement in community tools (none of which are in-game, but online instead) it's still vastly sub-par in both usefulness and level quality. I can't speak for Game and Wario, but Nintendo Land is fun, just lacks longevity; it is a decent party game though, and some modes are great with a group (the Yoshi one stands out), I just feel Wii Party U is better in that regard, or at least has more to offer long term.

Your lack of interest in Splatoon is fine, I treat it as a system seller in it's own right, but everyone has their own opinions, and there's much I'd disagree with if I asked you suggestions. Perhaps NX time!

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
  3. and Bayonetta 2.
I have to say that Mario Kart 8 is a much better game than MK Wii. MK 8 is my favorite Wii U game so far. Then again if you're burnt out on the series it doesn't really matter.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I realize this is probably a dumb question, but is it okay to use disinfecting wipes to clean my controllers? (Gamepad, Wiimotes, etc.) I used some wipes to clean them after a party, but it wasn't until afterwards that I started thinking that might not be safe to use...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I realize this is probably a dumb question, but is it okay to use disinfecting wipes to clean my controllers? (Gamepad, Wiimotes, etc.) I used some wipes to clean them after a party, but it wasn't until afterwards that I started thinking that might not be safe to use...
It's fine. I would sometimes clean my controllers by using a cleaning spray on a type of cloth and wiping the controllers. As long as you don't spray stuff directly onto the controllers to where it can seep in, you're fine.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
It's honestly sad that it's been over 2 months since I last posted here and I still haven't found any other games that I'd want to play on a Wii U. I thought about maybe getting Super Mario 3D World, but more as a filler game than something I'd dedicate actual time into. Just something I could boot up and play if it's late at night and I'm having another bloody case of imsonia which I always have during weekdays. But, still, that's 4 games, I'd need another one.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I like having an official review come out before the game is actually released.

Pokken Tournament Review

I'll share my thoughts on PT in the next few weeks after I've acclimated myself to it's unique fighting mechanics. I'll also review and comment on the on-line play letting you know if the LAN adapter for the Wii U really makes much of a difference.

D

Deleted member

Good day everyone. What are you all playing on your Wii U consoles right now? I'm currently finishing Super Mario 3D World with the aim of fully completing the game at 100℅. Once I'm done with it, I'll begin looking at my current Wii U library (which houses 13 games as of this writing) and pick another game.

By the way, are there any suggestions on how to reduce wear and tear on the GamePad's analog sticks without having to send it in for repair? They seem to have this hard, rough feel to them. Although mine works and all, it can become somewhat annoying. I would appreciate any help on that.

Scarlet Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RageMachine7.5
3DS FC
1375-7206-7615
Good day everyone. What are you all playing on your Wii U consoles right now? I'm currently finishing Super Mario 3D World with the aim of fully completing the game at 100℅. Once I'm done with it, I'll begin looking at my current Wii U library (which houses 13 games as of this writing) and pick another game.
Pokken tournament

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
So, a good 3 years after I got my Wii U and about 20+ games, I'm starting to run low on space in my systems hard drive. I've been reading up on some possible external hard drive solutions and I'm thinking the one I'll probably ever need is a 500 GB drive, but I've also seen that I could get a 1 TB drive for only $5 more. I can't decide on which one to get.

Most of the games I have are on a physical disc (I always get a physical copy if at all possible), so the majority of space is taken up by updates, DLC, and a small handful of indie/virtual console titles, but there's still a ton of games I wanna get eventually, including a number of games only on the eShop.

If anyone has any input on this, I would greatly appreciate it!

And while I'm at it, Nintendo recommends a hard drive with "it's own dedicated power source." Should I make sure it's one of those?
Also, what data would be good to store on the hard drive and keep on the system?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The bad thing about external drives is that they take up two USB slots. For that reason I suggest doubling your Wii U's storage with one of these instead.

32GB flash drive

Since I have a LAN adapter and the GameCube controller adapter using up three of my Wii U's 4 USB slots, I opted to go with one of these flash drives instead. At less than 10 bucks it's an excellent value.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
The bad thing about external drives is that they take up two USB slots. For that reason I suggest doubling your Wii U's storage with one of these instead.

32GB flash drive

Since I have a LAN adapter and the GameCube controller adapter using up three of my Wii U's 4 USB slots, I opted to go with one of these flash drives instead. At less than 10 bucks it's an excellent value.
While I do appreciate your feedback, the problem with Flash Drives is that they apparently have a limit on how many times they can be used.
Quoting an answer from Nintendo's website:

"Because these devices have a limited number of rewrites and are not suited to long-term storage of important game data, we do not recommend the use of Flash/thumb drives as an external storage device solution. For best results, we recommend using a external storage device with its own power supply that connects to the Wii U via the USB port on the console.

Commercial Flash memory has a limit on the number of times you can write over it and we don't recommend flash memory devices for long-term storage of important save data."

That's why I'm looking for a hard drive solution. Available USB ports on the system won't be a problem for me since the most I ever use at any time is two ports for the GCN adapter, and I can easily take that out if I need to, no problem.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Did anyone pick up Fast Racing Neo?

Thoughts?
Pretty good. It's more Wipeout than F-Zero, but it's a solid speed racer. It's not got the most tracks or vehicle variance, and the match making is a bit wonky, but it's still an enjoyable multiplayer experience especially for the price. Single player is pretty limited if that's what you care about, and the difficulty ramps up way too fast for most, but multiplayer is where it's best served so I don't have a massive issue with that.
I bought it the day it came out, and I agree. I've enoyed Neo, but it's lacking in certain aspects compared to F-Zero. It's certainly more comparable to Wipeout, especially from a gameplay and design perspective. Neo's cars aren't very memorable, and I couldn't hum a song from the game if I tried. The boost pads and phase switches are really cool, and add quite a bit to the experience.

While the soundtrack might not be anything special, the sound effects are fantastic. Along with the racing itself; the sound effects are the best part of the game.

For those debating on buying Fast Racing: Neo: it's worth the $15, but don't go in expecting an F-Zero replacement. It's a solid game that sets a high standard for eShop downloads.
The game is finally getting an update Wednesday. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...o_update_called_vertigo_goes_live_on_18th_may

Top Bottom