• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U GameCube Controllers: Do they work?

Fight pad or adapter?

• Fight Pad

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • GameCube Controller Adapter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
I'm a big Brawl player. I don't do competitive, but I can kick a level 9 CPU Metaknight's butt with nothing but a Ganondorf.
The thing is, I play using the Wiimote and Nunchuk. These standard controllers of the Nintendo Wii are definitely good, but using an actual controller, ex. the Wii U Pro Controller, would probably improve my A-game, especially against foes such as Crazy Hand and Tabuu.
While I could get a Classic Controller or Pro, I've also been playing a lot of Project M and joking about how it's just Melee (the only SSB game I haven't played) with extra characters and modes. The final step in solidifying that is to play using a GameCube controller.

And the options for my system of choice:

GameCube Controller Adapter
I can use an actual GameCube controller. I just plug in the thing and begin.
Pros: I use an actual GameCube controller.
Cons: Cords.

Fightpad
I would definitely choose this over the adapter if it works with Brawl. It plugs into the Wiimote, meaning no cord length issues, it costs less than the controller and the adapter together, and it's designed after your favorite Nintendo characters.
Pros: Low price, no hassle with cords, and a sleek design.
Cons: Have you tried playing a game that only uses the Nunchuk while your Wiimote with the WiiMotion Plus accesory dangles below the couch? It's...actually not that heavy. No cons.

Do either of them work with Brawl?

Last edited:

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
2 things
1. Change the color of your text to white or a light grey.
2. Depends if you own a Wii or Wii U. With Wii U you can't use the Gamecube adapter with the backwards compatibility. If you have a Wii then don't waste your money with the adapter it comes pre installed with an adapter and a gamecube memory card reader.

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Also you forgot to add this con for the pad if you are a competitive player.
Every time you switch sets you have to sync your controller to the Wii or Wii U you switched to.

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
2 things
1. Change the color of your text to white or a light grey.
2. Depends if you own a Wii or Wii U. With Wii U you can't use the Gamecube adapter with the backwards compatibility. If you have a Wii then don't waste your money with the adapter it comes pre installed with an adapter and a gamecube memory card reader.
1. No.
2. I own both (or more accurately, I own a Wii U and my dad owns a regular Wii) and I use a Wii U.
Also you forgot to add this con for the pad if you are a competitive player.
Every time you switch sets you have to sync your controller to the Wii or Wii U you switched to.
1. Double posting isn't allowed.
2. I'm not a competitive player...yet.

Okay, so the adapter is off the market. What about the fightpad?

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Well TBH in both situations I would choose the Battle pad because it is alot less restrictive on the games you can play and where you can go. Also you can play with friends who don't 'have an adapter.

But if you do want to get an adapter it is the recommended controller for most smash games. Finally look up reviews on each controller on Youtube.

Last edited:
Top Bottom