• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U and 3DS in Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
One concern that keeps coming back to me is how viable the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U is in tournaments. In terms of the Nintendo 3DS, I for see potential lag when you connect four 3DS' together which could prove to be a problem since you are generally playing through a wireless connection. Thankfully, the game doesn't seem to suffer much from wireless lag but this issue can always become a problem. In addition, Nintendo 3DS are also smaller and are more at risk in misplacement, being damaged, or lost in larger events. While this is more fault to the attendee, it could become a potential problem for TO's. The 3DS can also be considered a target for stealing.

As for the Wii U, I think the Wii U version potentially hurts smaller events that may not have access to a Wii U. This include grassroots and start up tournaments. Again, this is up to the TO to secure a Wii U. Not to mention the Wii U is quite expensive and a set up with the TV, controllers, Wii U, and game could lure potential thieves who may try to jack a set up. The Wii U s generally less accessible than the Wii and Gamecube was due to the nature of the system, the Game Pad, and the price.

Thoughts on this? Do you think the 3DS and Wii U will hamper efforts for tournament play and, if so, how can we improve/eliminate these threats?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I've had similar thoughts. I don't think that tournament efforts will be dampened in any way, but it doesn't prevent new challenges.

Stealing:

Controllers typically don't get stolen, only misplaced. Memory cards in the GC era got filched a lot but typically only because people wanted to use it to load a save on another GC and the owner of the GC just... took it. I don't think 3DSes will be stolen on a frequent basis but it might not be a bad idea for @AlphaZealot to make some extra money with a referral link to 3DS skins. "Make your 3DS stand out" / "Make sure someone doesn't accidentally pick up your 3DS" / etc. Not so much a necessity as it's just a nice thing to do, especially with younger kids.

We're doing a "BYOCharger" rule and "you are responsible for everything you bring in". If someone loses a charger, it's on them.

Lag:

As for lag, it has typically not been an issue. The typical draconian ruling is "deal with it" as a fallback.

I'm currently using this rule on the 11th:
  • Any attempt at inducing lag on purpose (such as covering the infrared sensor with their finger) may result in a DQ. Accidental issues may result in the player being given a warning with consistent offenders removed from bracket. Mind those fingers!

And after further research may actually put in a required distance between opponents. The above rule covers people doing things like walking away, turning around, etc., that could cause an issue.

As for natural lag I've only run into it on Arena Ferox. I hope to do a lag 'stress test' on the 11th by making all of the games be played simultaneously with local play and will post the results. It's hopefully not going to be an issue, but we cannot do much about it otherwise. If X number of 3DSes playing simultaneously result in a lag issue, TOs will have to run in heats and prevent friendlies (ugh...) or, more likely, have "pool locations" for less interference.

Wii U:

Wii U is pretty cheap. I expect most people to get one for Smash 4 that are attending tournaments anyway. If you have N/2 setups you are at maximum capacity, where N is equal to number of entrants to an event. Typically N/4 setups is enough to run a smooth event in a reasonable timeframe, so for a 32 man bracket you'd only need 8 TVs and Wii Us. The TO will obviously have one, so it's going to be (N/4)-1 on most occasions, making it easier.

There are several incentive programs TOs have used in the past to ensure setups are brought, most notably the "no venue fee for you".

What TOs in my region have suggested is for a player to actually take their Gamepad (Wii U Tablet) with them after setting up their console or to just have the TO bring their gamepad and sync it to each invidiual Wii U to boot 'em up.

In Midwest tournaments, we've often had a "safe area" where the TO and his assistants go where people can store things like backpacks, but this obviously isn't acceptable at all events.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I agree with OS that typically when controllers get stolen it's due to someone misplacing theirs. The way I see it, you keep your controller on you at all times (if you're responsible). If you let someone use your controller and they lose it, it's on you. Same logic applies to a 3DS. You don't want to lose it, don't let it out of your sight.

I heard on the Clash Tournaments stream that adding the person you're playing as a friend AND plugging your 3DS into an outlet both reduce lag. Perhaps @Keitaro and @ False False can confirm. This was the only place I heard of these solutions, and both Doom and Pierce said the word needed to be spread.

As for the Wii U, I don't see setups as a problem. The price has been slashed (twice I think), so it's very affordable compared to other next gen consoles. I do wonder if flat screens will be more prevalent in tournament play now.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Adding someone as a friend and plugging into an outlet should in no way reduce lag. Friends Lists are checked not through proximity but based on Nintendo's servers.

Plugging it into an outlet might let the 3DS use more power if they have some sort of handicap self-imposed on the 3DS when it isn't plugged in to conserve battery life... but I seriously doubt it. Soudns to me like they're crazy.

D

Deleted member 245254

Adding someone as a friend and plugging into an outlet should in no way reduce lag. Friends Lists are checked not through proximity but based on Nintendo's servers.

Plugging it into an outlet might let the 3DS use more power if they have some sort of handicap self-imposed on the 3DS when it isn't plugged in to conserve battery life... but I seriously doubt it. Soudns to me like they're crazy.
You also don't need to add people to your friend list to play them locally, at the end of the day, and 3DS's don't work like gaming laptops. I can't see how that would affect anything. Crazy indeed, those who would suggest that.

Also, there are already 1-3ms monitors out there, EVO and MLG use them for their other fighting line-ups already. There is literally no reason not to believe we will be just fine ditching CRTs, so I think it's quite obvious we will be using HD Monitors from here on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
For Melee, the flat screen CRTs never fully took over. I'm still using a fatty CRT from 1999. This TV is 15 years old and could drive next year.

I think people are going to need to make the rule "If you bring a CRT, it only counts as a setup if you bring the cables to connect to it" which shouldn't be difficult.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
It's not out of the question tbh, laptops usually don't run at full power when they're not plugged in. I honestly wouldn't doubt it.

I've been seeing some success (coincidence or not) with jus tleaving it plugged inw hile playing my matches.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Coming from a tournament organizer's perspective, I personally don't see tournaments being hindered by this. First, we should break down the costs of what actually comes with the Wii-U. The main bulk of the Wii-U gaming console price is divided into 2 main sections: The Wii-U console, and the Game Pad.

From my experience, as well as settings things up for my own region for future events (NJ/NY) The Wii-U console its self without the game pad retails for $120.00 used. I have purchased a couple for a gaming store I use to work for. In actuality, the majority of the money is within the gamepad its self, which you don't need, and should be influenced by the organizer to have players not bring them. The menu's of the console are manageable with a Nunchuck, and that's something almost every organizer has. Another reason why it should be discouraged is that the Wii-U can't manage multiple game pads. Players who enter tournaments should look for alternatives (Gamecube Controllers, Nunchuck, Wii-U Classic Controller, etc) as their main controller for the game.

If you want to talk about stealing, this was always an issue. It didn't stop us from hosting Brawl events at it's prime, and it will carry over to this. 3DS's being misplaced shouldn't be an excuse either. It is the players responsibility to keep track of their personal items, and since the 3DS doubles as a controller and a system, it's even more important for the players to understand that.

In terms of equipment: I am personally moving everything to 1ms monitors provided by Asus. We should be encouraging players to do the same. It's more lightweight, easier to manage, provides a better overall picture, inexpensive (the monitors cost 140 per unit right now) and doesn't hamper gameplay by any means. It's literally the best you can do right next to a CRT.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Might be getting me one o' them myself!

Someone should tell Alpha Zealot to make a post about "transportable monitors for Smash 4 Wii U tournaments" and link that with an Amazon referral link, would give smashboards some extra $.

iRJi

Smash Champion
That can be arranged. I am working on multiple write ups for my region. I can fit this one in with no issues so that others could know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom