• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii Fit Frame Traps/Safe-on-Shield Attacks?

Reldan

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I've been maining WFT for a couple months now and am wondering if there are any solid frame traps or safe-on-shield options that you find particularly effective. I know that s.hop Nair>Bair can get people who shield the Nair and think they can retaliate, but this only works solidly on characters tall enough that the initial rising Nair would hit them. I can also poke with RAR Bairs fairly safely, but again this gets tricky with low profile opponents.

Her tilts all seem punishable on shield by most of the cast. Is FFall Nair always punishable? I know if I land in front I just about always get shield grabbed, and crossed up it depends on what kind of OOS option they have, or am I just not timing my input correctly?

I know WFT doesn't have a great neutral game (although her zoning is fantastic), but any little bit helps for those situations where you wind up having to do some CQC.

Reldan

Smash Rookie
So far I've found one potential frame trap, although the timing is extremely tight. If you land against their shield with a FF Nair such that you hit within a frame or two of landing, a jab combo will beat out a shield grab even against characters that have 6-frame grabs. A UTilt can work as well although the timing is less forgiving as is the spacing - with Nair you are at best at -4 if you land on the frame after the 2nd hit strikes their shield, so you've got at best 6 frames to act before a 10-frame shield grab comes out (6 frames + the 4 frame penalty for grabbing out of shield stun). The 4 frame jab will give you a few frames of leeway.

Anyways, if your opponent gets conditioned to think they can shield grab you after a blocked Nair if you don't get the cross-up, you can give them a nasty surprise. You also can just land and grab them yourself if they start just continuing to hold shield, since your grab will come out on frame 10 after landing so at worst you'll grab clank if they try to shield grab as well (or beat them if they have a slower grab).

The hard part with this is getting the perfect timing down with the Nair to have the second hit strike as low as possible. If you're off by more than a couple frames either way you'll either you'll get the 2nd hit too early or only get the first hit and land before the 2nd hit comes out and they won't be shield stunned long enough to capitalize.

Last edited:
Top Bottom