• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiglett has been Revealed for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet

Wiglett_for_the_Winlett.jpg

The Pokémon Company just revealed a new Pokémon who strongly resembles Diglett, Wiglett!

The reveal came in a webinar inspired event, called the “World Pokémon Ecological Society”. Wiglett pops up at the end, and through the commentary we learn a little bit about it. The most striking detail is that despite looking like Diglett, it’s just “...a coincidence that they have similar bodies”. Wiglett appears to be an entirely new species and not a regional variant of Diglett!

You can watch the whole event here or view a video of the Wiglett portion from Serebii below:

Author’s Note: Gotta say, that is one bizarre way to show off a new Pokémon! Don't get me wrong though, I like this method a lot! As for Wiglett itself, I think they're pretty neat. I like wormy things in general, and I'm interested in seeing if it evolves into anything. But what do you think? Please let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Writing & Editing: Zerp Zerp
Thumbnail: Zerp Zerp
Social: Zerp Zerp
Video:
Serebii

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

D
I swear if there will be a wigtrio I'm going to Nintendo hq and slapping whoever designed this

I disagree.
It's the concept of convergent evolution. So this "Wiglett" is a different species that evolved concurrently with Diglett yet filled different natural niches. Diglett and Wigglet, while appearing similiar in design and function, evolved independetly from one another with Diglett filling in the "living ugergound in tunnels" and served as an important facet of cavern ecology. Likewise, Wiglett formed similar traits to Diglett to evolved to fill a more marine-based habitat which is given by it's more snake-like appearance so it can burrow into shoals and what not while still breathing while the whitened part allows the Wiglett to "camoflage" into it's more lighter enviroment.

I am not one to sing GF/TPC praises but, if convergent evolution is actually a thing as its looking to be, this is a REALLY amazing idea that's hard to put into practice but they were able to. I can be harsh to them as much as I want but...creative bankrupcy...? That's hard to believe considering the amount of work and research that went in to make every pokemon in Gen 8 extremely British.

But yeah, to someone who only sees what is in front of them and doesn't consider the overall idea of it, yeah, it's a wiggly Diglett.

Last edited:
so you just hate Pokémon
I think one of the most successful IPs on the planet has absolutely no excuse to be as low effort as it is.

It's the concept of convergent evolution. So this "Wiglett" is a different species that evolved concurrently with Diglett yet filled different natural niches. Diglett and Wigglet, while appearing similiar in design and function, evolved independetly from one another with Diglett filling in the "living ugergound in tunnels" and served as an important facet of cavern ecology. Likewise, Wiglett formed similar traits to Diglett to evolved to fill a more marine-based habitat which is given by it's more snake-like appearance so it can burrow into shoals and what not while still breathing while the whitened part allows the Wiglett to "camoflage" into it's more lighter enviroment.

I am not one to sing GF/TPC praises but, if convergent evolution is actually a thing as its looking to be, this is a REALLY amazing idea that's hard to put into practice but they were able to. I can be harsh to them as much as I want but...creative bankrupcy...? That's hard to believe considering the amount of work and research that went in to make every pokemon in Gen 8 extremely British.

But yeah, to someone who only sees what is in front of them and doesn't consider the overall idea of it, yeah, it's a wiggly Diglett.
While divergent evolution makes for an understandable defense it also serves as a convenient excuse to continue recoloring old Pokemon and passing them off as new. Thats something they've been doing for multiple gens now to pad out the roster without much effort. Thats something you only do when you're running out of ideas. Also they put a top hat on Weezing, come on lol.

This is what happens when you dare to post criticism instead of the expected "he stretchy good boi owo" posts. You have to deal with this.

Last edited:
I think one of the most successful IPs on the planet has absolutely no excuse to be as low effort as it is.

While divergent evolution makes for an understandable defense it also serves as a convenient excuse to continue recoloring old Pokemon and passing them off as new. Thats something they've been doing for multiple gens now to pad out the roster without much effort. Thats something you only do when you're running out of ideas. Also they put a top hat on Weezing, come on lol.

This is what happens when you dare to post criticism instead of the expected "he stretchy good boy owo" posts. You have to deal with this.
no it’s the calling them creatively bankrupt for something they’ve been doing since day one that we take issue. If you’d always thought that then fine. But saying they’ve become it suggests selective criticism.

also taking an old idea and putting a new spin on it is creativity 101

no it’s the calling them creatively bankrupt for something they’ve been doing since day one that we take issue. If you’d always thought that then fine. But saying they’ve become it suggests selective criticism.

also taking an old idea and putting a new spin on it is creativity 101
Day 1? They didn't start recoloring old Pokemon until Sun/Moon. You don't need to lie to defend the megacorp ok?

Day 1? They didn't start recoloring old Pokemon until Sun/Moon. You don't need to lie to defend the megacorp ok?
did you miss the nidorans? The pre evolved forms? The five additional eeveelutions? All the other new forms? Reinventing is what they’ve always done and you being ignorant of that fact does not make me a liar. Nor does them being a mega corporation have anything to do with this discussion.

did you miss the nidorans? The pre evolved forms? The five additional eeveelutions? All the other new forms? Reinventing is what they’ve always done and you being ignorant of that fact does not make me a liar. Nor does them being a mega corporation have anything to do with this discussion.
No I didn't miss them because they don't actually fit what I'm talking about.

Yes they do.
Nah. The Eevees are all unique designs and not just literal recolors of the base form and baby Pokemon, while a pointless idea, are also intended to be in the same evolutionary tree as whatever its the baby form of. It is objectively not the same thing as going "heres Vulpix, its white now".

Nah. The Eevees are all unique designs and not just literal recolors of the base form and baby Pokemon, while a pointless idea, are also intended to be in the same evolutionary tree as whatever its the baby form of. It is objectively not the same thing as going "heres Vulpix, its white now".
well Venus tried to explain that one to you and you refused to accept that as a reason.

Pokemon has larger been moving away from “let’s put Pokémon into this game” and more so “how does Pokémon fit into this game”. Regional forms was something done right to get a breath of fresh air to pre-existing pokemon while also saving on time and budget. They managed to incorporate the idea into the game and, while if you believe leaks, regional forms will be very small this time around in exchange for….something else entirely. They are really going at this from a more natural/ecological route and how these Pokémon fit within this world. I personally think this is a great idea and something I have wants to see be done for a while. As for the end result, I’m not going to knock on it until everything gets revealed. While the wheel lizard didn’t catch me design wise, I liked the underlying concept. Wiglett to me in interesting as it’s a terrestrial garden eel more or less

Top Bottom