• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"WiFi Warriors"

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
I can't help but wonder what exactly this phrase is suggesting. I have a large background of gaming, it's what I do and always have been doing. Whether it be on PC or console, it's my main hobby in life. I'm new to smash and I am trying to get good at it and possibly be competitive with it. That being said, this term "WiFi Warrior" bothers me a bit. I guess you could compare this to other internet culture terms like "keyboard warrior", where someone is tough over the internet. The bottom line is- this is a condescending little phrase when it doesn't need to be.

Yes, I know this game is way better offline (just like any other game, fighting games especially) but not everyone who plays smash is going to attend tournaments. I have my friend come over every now and then so we can play. It's a whole lot of fun and honestly the most fun experience I've had in any offline multiplayer environment. Smash is just great for that. But when no one is there to play with me (most of the time) I'll play for glory to practice, try out new characters and to just simply have fun. Ultimately, FG offers a fun experience- despite the bad connections from time to time. The fact that I can play against real people all over the world, at any time, is a feature we haven't seen work well in any other smash game.

So my question is, does this make me a "WiFi warrior"? Or is it just a funny little niche term that people use in the smash community. I see it as both, and believe it or not it doesn't really insult me rather than spark sheer curiosity. I'm just curious as to why this even became what it is. Maybe someone can clear this up for me. I'm so used to PC gaming so everything that comes out of someones mouth there is usually an insult.

EDIT: Sorry I should of posted this in the online discussion but don't know how to delete this threat and or move it.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. From how I've seen it be used, it seems like an attempt to degrade others for not playing how other people do, or otherwise complaining that some people don't play the "right" way, despite there not being a right way.

Some people just feel the need to label and put down others, for whatever reason.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
I've never heard nor seen this phrase ever used and based on how absurd it sounds I strongly suggest you don't take anyone using it seriously.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
I've heard it. It's just rather rare and met with lots of people getting pissy. Don't worry about it.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
You're only a wifi warrior if you're good at online smash. Even then that's not even a bad thing. I've never heard it used insultingly or condescendingly.
When you make money off of beating scrubs through varying degrees of lag, wifi warrior is a complement.

Not to mention people seem to have this misconception that if you're good at wifi you must suck offline, which becomes even more enjoyable when you sweep through offline tournies with only wifi experience.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
i've never heard of it used as an insult. it's only an insult if you infer it that way.

to me it just means you play primarily online and you're good at it. quite a few japanese players do well thanks to online play, so they must be doing something right.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Nothing to be butthurt over. Just a term for people who play online a lot.

dracosusaia

Smash Rookie
I can't help but wonder what exactly this phrase is suggesting. I have a large background of gaming, it's what I do and always have been doing. Whether it be on PC or console, it's my main hobby in life. I'm new to smash and I am trying to get good at it and possibly be competitive with it. That being said, this term "WiFi Warrior" bothers me a bit. I guess you could compare this to other internet culture terms like "keyboard warrior", where someone is tough over the internet. The bottom line is- this is a condescending little phrase when it doesn't need to be.
Yes, I know this game is way better offline (just like any other game, fighting games especially) but not everyone who plays smash is going to attend tournaments. I have my friend come over every now and then so we can play. It's a whole lot of fun and honestly the most fun experience I've had in any offline multiplayer environment. Smash is just great for that. But when no one is there to play with me (most of the time) I'll play for glory to practice, try out new characters and to just simply have fun. Ultimately, FG offers a fun experience- despite the bad connections from time to time. The fact that I can play against real people all over the world, at any time, is a feature we haven't seen work well in any other smash game.
So my question is, does this make me a "WiFi warrior"? Or is it just a funny little niche term that people use in the smash community. I see it as both, and believe it or not it doesn't really insult me rather than spark sheer curiosity. I'm just curious as to why this even became what it is. Maybe someone can clear this up for me. I'm so used to PC gaming so everything that comes out of someones mouth there is usually an insult.
EDIT: Sorry I should of posted this in the online discussion but don't know how to delete this threat and or move it.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
It's a term that's been around for a while... never really heard it used as an insult. It'd be a very crappy one since some people just can't get out to their region's big events often or at all.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Part of the community has a bias against online players. It is as childish as it gets. For some people, online is the best or the only way to play with others.

Top Bottom