• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WiFi Warriors and how to deal with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortfeasor

Smash Cadet
Good morning/afternoon/evening all!

I've begun to notice a trend in my online experience lately and I was curious if anyone has noticed the same. Lately, it seems like I have encountered a growing number of WiFi Warriors, which I define as players who, intentionally or not, take advantage of or gain an advantage from sub-par internet with the result of gaining an advantage over other players. For me at least, this manifests itself in matches where, notwithstanding the appearance of stability, I have a severe input delay that often causes slow reactions and missed inputs. In these cases, it feels like me and my character are not on the same page and my opponent is always a step ahead.

Anyway, the reason I say it is a growing number is that until fairly recently it wasn't too much of an issue (at least in my area). Obviously I would get the occasional laggy player, even some I would consider WiFi Warriors, but it never really was so much an issue that it bothered me. However, lately it seems like any time I open an arena I'm getting these people. They swoop in, trounce those present, and tend to drive away other players. The frequency is such that I was wondering if the online experience is slowly being reduced to a race to the bottom for terrible internet; eventually the only people left online will be playing from their local McDonald's WiFi.

Anyway, this thread isn't just about expressing my frustration; I'd like to know what other people do in these circumstances. Personally, I prefer Battle Arenas over Quickplay/Elite Smash because it allows me the freedom to set stages other than Battlefield or FD and I like having an active arena where I can spectate other players and learn. I generally don't kick for lag unless it is such that it causes stuttering or freezing, but should I be kicking those I perceive to be WiFi Warriors? I guess my problem is all I have to rely on is my feeling that things aren't right, so I'm reticent to just kick. Also, for some it might just be theirs and my connection that's the problem and it's totally fine for everyone else. Lastly, it might not be deliberate; their internet might just be bad and they can't do anything about it.

Thoughts?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I kick anyone that has enough lag to greatly distort my ability to enjoy the game, whether that be freezing/buffering or simply heavy input lag and block them if they try to rejoin. No mercy.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
I just asked a question about this 5 mins ago. How can you intentionally lag at this point? I've had the same ISP for almost 4 years and it's only crashed once from a TORNADO.

I play Left4Dead and Overwatch daily with a ping less than 20ms. How do you even achieve lag with a modern router? Start like 9 torrents at once?

D

Deleted member

You could start with not switching focus to prevent redundant paragraph starters. It's annoying and prevented me from answering your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom