• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WiFi Play Gets a Test Run

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Posted by Mic_128
<p>Today's update is a couple of videos of matches played over WiFi, Tokyo vs. Kyoto, which is about 500km, or 310 miles. While one video was for today's update, a separate video was uploaded instead for the Japanese part of the site.</p><p><a href="http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi06.html"> The first video</a>, the &quot;non-Japanese&quot; one is a 4 way Brawl on Lylat Cruise with Sonic, Mario, Samus and Link duking it out. Keep your eyes peeled near the end for a surprising appearance by Sandbag!</p><p><a href="http://www.smashbros.com/jp/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi06.html">The second</a>, Japanese one, is another 4 way Brawl, but taking place on Delfino Plaza, and this time with Ike, Kirby, Mario and Snake. It's a rough and tumble battle that starts from the air, to the ground of the Isle, to a smaller sandbar off the main shore of the Island.</p>

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
What I'm interested in is the amount of lag they were experiencing, which didn't seem to be a lot. When I watched the English version there was one part that seemed a little choppy, but that might have just been my computer being dumb. The Japanese one ran very smooth. This looks like a good sign for close-ish battles over Wi-Fi. Did anyone else notice any bits of lag?

limitbreak

Smash Ace
I'm glad we got to see some of the game in action, I don't really think it was worth the update. Isn't this game coming out next week? Where're the good updates?

Btw, Snake got back again in the Japanese vid.
Agreed. Hopefully tomorrow is a good character update. Next week SHOULD be nice as well.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I doubt there will be any more character updates until after release :(. Poor Krystal, I figured she'd be a starter.

Anyway, the vids were cool, but there could be a future update demonstrating online play over a greater distance. Like NC to CA, I wonder what that'd be like.

Rash

Smash Ace
Wow. Kudos to the guy playing Mario for avoiding getting killed by the Zero Laser.

I agree about the distance. It'd be nice to see maybe Los Angeles to Boston, or something like that.

Azureclipse

Smash Cadet
This update...really wasn't anything special. We already have a ton of gameplay videos :ohwell:

Oh well, at least we got some nice Ike Kirby footage in the Japanese vid :)

Rabid_Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
The English one was meh as far as the battle goes IMO, but the Japanese battle was pretty cool.

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed by the update, but it should get better next week.

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
WTF. They knew after 500 km that the connection would start to be unplayable, so they tried to trick us. the connection sucks. they where probaly just doing it offline in the saem room, their liers. wfc suks and you wont b able to play someone in ur own city, nvm in a difrent state.
/gameFAQs

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
Notice how Mario won and did diddly squat. lawl.
Yeah I never saw him KO anyone. The only theory I have is that somehow he intercepted Sonic as he got is *** jacked by the Zero Laser :(

Even so, why is Link tied with Samus...? He didn't really do anything either.

The REAL gold is in the Japanese video. The US one... I'll say it again. Just seems really dumb. I bet the real new Smash players could do better than that.

MasterFeint

Smash Cadet
Dunno if anyone else noticed, but about halfway through the vid, you can see sandbag appear and then get lobbed off the stage.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I didnt mind this update too much, atleast we know the lag is minimal between a feww hundred miles(good thing i live near NYC)

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
The video looked slow to me. It might just be me, though.

Is anyone else going to miss the frantically fast pace of the Melee game? It'll be missed...but within a month or so after release people'll play and say it's too fast. :laugh:

Or not.

HeltXL

Smash Apprentice
This demonstration of WiFi looks promising. I say that because my "high speed" internet connection is a measly 40KBps download, and the connection quality over a few hundred miles perks my hopes for smooth WiFi smashing.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
I had no idea that Kirby could use his Final Smash in mid-air. I can foresee people being cheap with that and using it on the top right corner of a small stage so it guarantees that you kill someone.

cool matches though.

jayssite

Smash Rookie
Anyone else notice that after the announcer says "TIME" and everything kinda stops, the characters still execute a few leftover moves? Is that because of lag?

D

Deleted member

Anyone else notice that after the announcer says "TIME" and everything kinda stops, the characters still execute a few leftover moves? Is that because of lag?
No, it's perfectly normal. It was at E 4 All

hamtier

Smash Rookie
seems some people didnt notice but

mario also did ko someone!after the final smash of samus link hitted her with a basball bat but That DID NOT ko her. mario hitted her causing for more side falling but she came back only to dodge mario''s 2nd attempt to attack making her fall after all. all this happend before sonic taunted for no good reason(not that its needed or something).this also explains why samus was second:Its because she fell

regorris

Smash Apprentice
This update...really wasn't anything special. We already have a ton of gameplay videos :ohwell:

Oh well, at least we got some nice Ike Kirby footage in the Japanese vid :)
Incorrect. I noticed small, but important changes in gameplay between these videos and the old ones. It could just be the fact that the video was better, and we could see more, but I doubt it.

Also, this update calmed a few of my nameless fears about the game.

icanhascheezburger

Smash Rookie
The Wifi play video did look a little slower than just playing on the console, but it wasn't bad.

I have a 400 MB connection, so I should have no problemo. I do have a few questions, and I was hopeing some people could help me. :)

First one is, can the Wii connect to my router without and wireless adapters or anything?

Second one is, I got two logitech wireless adapters. One you plug in to the main router, and one you plug into your console. I'm pretty sure you can put it in the wii too, so there will be a great connection. Will I need this, or should I just connect using the console itself?

AND FINALLY, can you have like, a party of two with you and go on Wi-fi? Like me and my brother could both play online at the same time.

Thanks! :D

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
When I saw both videos, I was impressed by the minimal amount of lag in them. I was also wondering about the distance between them. Thanks for that infomation, Kirby King. If it's that good from about 300 miles, that's good. Now let's see a test run from L.A. to Connecticut and see what happens. That's what I'm curious of.

Top Bottom