• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Wielding Great Power" - How to play the Stronger Kong

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
DK ! Donkey Kong Is Here !

WIELDING GREAT POWER
A DK Player's Primer
By Ak (theultimodragon, tag AK-47)

Hey guys, my name is Ak (theultimodragon) and I'm here to try and revive these boards a bit. I cannot stress this fact enough: Play to win (obviously) but at the same time, play for fun. Donkey Kong is the perfect mix of oafyness and immeasurable power. My scariest matchup is not playing a Dedede, but playing Donkey Kong. I know, crazy, right?! If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong. After every win, pound your chest, eat a banana...carry a girl over your shoulder and defend her from plumbers. Okay...maybe not the last one.

I think we can all agree that the DK forums could use a little love, so this thread will be updated with a nice, new, easier to read strat guide for all of us that use this Strong Kong. It'll be a little messy to start, but by the time it's done, we'll command some respect around these boards called SWF. I'm gonna make this guide as flashy and as readable as I can so be patient as I summon my skills to make this amazing.​

Updates!
8/25/08- Started Construction of this guide. Added Intro, movesets and some percentages.
8/26/08- Moveset complete with percentages and descriptions. Also added a cargo section.
8/27/08- Changed some percents and added some extra details for moves. Added a new section- Tips and Tricks, Free of Charge, for your You and Donkey. Am currently listening to Toto's "Africa" on repeat while I edit this. You all should too. It's fricking Toto.
9/04/08- Added some old/new Giant (Africa) Paunch information, you can check it at the bottom of the guide. Practice makes perfect. The next major thing to be added will be a grab-release chart for both the cargo and the regular grab.
9/15/08- Began Stage Discussion strengths and weaknesses. Info at bottom.
10/8/08- Woot Stickyness. Thanks Gimpyfish.
10/9/08- Woot Videos added. One versus Pit, one versus Olimar.
3/13/09- Woot FIVE Videos added. Cleaned up the guide a teensy bit and added 5 new videos vs. Pikachu. Enjoy!
4/05/09- TWO Videos added. Enjoy!

Pre-Section- Useful Links for Useful Information

Big O's- Giant (Africa) Punch Kill Percentages - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176033
Ripple's Cargo Stage Spiking Video and Info thread - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188510
God-Is-My-Rock's Footstool to Headbutt vid, with useful applications - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197102
DK Stage Discussion - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218346
Move Data, with Frame startup/cooldown - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202958
DK video thread, with super cool hot matches (i'm in there also! :D) - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=220925

Section 1- Introduction, a Beginning
For newcomers, You've just picked up Donkey Kong. Congratulation! This guide will hone your skills to become a force in the Brawl community. For veterans, you have come back to your roots! Help us revive these boards and make this a character to be feared by anyone who takes him on. Even Meta-Knight. But not King Dedede :/

I don't claim any copyright to this guide. I'll credit those who give me information, and it's all of you guys that make this possible. Shoutouts go to Ripple, Big O, Dryn, and God-Is-My-Rock, Gimpyfish, ChiboSempai, and everyone who represents Donkey Kong!

Section 2- A Smash Term Refresher. There will be a test every time you play.
The following is a bunch of terminology I feel you should familiarize yourself with the most while playing Donkey Kong.

Smash
Tapping the stick in a direction and pressing the A button. Can be done in the 4 cardinal directions- Up, Down, Left, and Right. You can use the C-Stick to smash as well.

DI
Directional Influence. You can alter the trajectory when you're taking damage and knockback. This'll get you out of strings and comboes. This also works when being thrown, to an extent. Most times you'll want to DI up and towards the stage to increase your survivability when hit with a potentially life-threatening attack. Donkey Kong lives forever, so be sure to always do it.

Super Armor Frames
Frames in which you take damage, but no knockback from attacks. Your movement is not impeded. This is a big F*$@ you! to people who think they can get all up in your business. You'll take their attack while they take big damage to the face.

Spiking/Meteor Smashing
An attack/attacks that send your opponent downwards at a very fast angle, they are not able to recover until the hitstun wears off. Donkey Kong has 3, count em, 3 of em! We'll get into those later.

Teching
pressing the shield button on a solid surface when you've been hit or sent away. This stops all momentum and allows you to get back to the action!

Perfect Shielding
When you hear a "DINK" sound after you block an attack, you've perfect shielded! You can pretty much do a free action afterwards--usually a roll behind the opponent, or a well-placed shield-grab.

Cargoing
Putting your opponent on your back--pressing forward after you grab them with Z or Shield+A. Someone's going for a ride... more will be explained later on.

Section 3-Weighing the Use of This Beast They Call Monkey Kong
Pros
-Is huge- High Survivability. You shouldn't be dying before 120%. If you're super duper, perhaps even darn near 150%. If you're godlike and like your opponent to hate you, 200%.
-Is powerful- near the top for killing potential. His smashes are absolutely deadly. Always bad news for the opponent if one connects. They'll think twice before getting in your face.
-Has a pretty good throw game. Always keeps people guessing!
-Tilts keep people away from you.
-THREE spikes/meteor smashes
-Ridiculous Horizontal Recovery
-Deceptively fast for such a huge character.

Cons
-Is huge- Big target. Easily comboed. DK HATE PK FIRE ARRRRGH
-Not the fastest. Has a bit of trouble against speedy characters.
-There is really only one means of recovery for you--so it can become predictable and easily countered. DK HATE PK FOOTSTOMP ARRRGH
-Noticable lag on some attacks--you'll get punished if you whiff those big opportunities, so make every strike count towards the kill!

If after you've read this section, you feel comfortable with the risks associated with owning face, then please, I dare you to read onward.

Section 4- Moveset, Descriptions, Percentages, What Happens When you Do Things
A Moves
Neutral A -A quick Jab. Press A again for an uppercut. First hit does 4, the next does 6 for a total of 10 damage.
Running A- Charging foot! A decent attack. Has great range and lasts awhile, sometimes hitting unsuspecting foes. Hits em up and away. Does 11 damage.
Forward / Back + A (ftilt) - Backhand Slap. Keeps people spaced nicely between ye. Does 10 damage. If you tilt the stick up and forwards, it'll do 12 damage and more knockback. If you tilt the stick down and forwards, you'll do 8-9 damage and increase the chance to trip.
Up + A (utilt) - Upper Hand Swat. Sweeps above DK's head in an arc similar to Ike's Upsmash. Good range. Does 9-11 damage.
Down + A (dtilt) - Keep Away! A quick lower smack that has less recovery time than ftilt. Great range. Does 8 damage and can TRIP opponents from 0 to about 50 percent.

Air Moves​
Neutral A (Nair) - Mini Spin. An ok anti air move. You have better options with more priority. This move does 11 damage.
Forward + A (Fair) - AFRICA SWING. Huuuge hitbox. Decent knockback. Sweetspot (when DK's hands are coming downwards and opponent is near) is a spike with great force. Both parts of the move do 16 damage.
Back + A (Bair) - Who fancies a kickaround? That big foot gets bigger and knocks people away with great power and speed. Spam this Wall of Pain to pressure your opponents. Has good priority. 13 damage undiminshed.
Down + A (Dair) - AFRICA STOMP. Hitbox is all below DK. Go for the big finish. People love seeing DK stomp people into oblivion. Makes ya feel good. I'm guilty of pounding my chest afterwards. Also eating bananas. Hit em with the tip of DK's feet for more force and 16 damage. Non-sweetspot is 13 damage, and reduced force.
Up + A (Upair) - Aerial Headbutt. A decent juggler. Ok Priority. Someone coming from above? Punish them with this. 14 damage.

B Moves
Neutral B - GIANT AFRICA PAUNCH. Your move of moves. Everyone fears this move. When pressed, DK will swing his arm ten times. On the 10th swing, he will stop and start steaming. Yes, STEAMING. I didn't believe it either. The opening of this move has SA frames and the tip of the punch is the sweet spot. Can hit behind also, but with decreased (but vertical) knockback. Does 28 damage on it's very first, charged up use. Does 18 damage from behind DK is people are there. There is a thread by Big O that goes into the further power of the punch--that it does more knockback when you don't fully charge it. So give it a read and educate yourself! http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176033

Forward / Back + B - Headbutt. Your third and Final Spike. Can be used in the air or ground. It's worth 10 damage. 14 damage in the air sweetspotted, and 8 if it's not sweetspotted. If the opponent is on or close to the ground and this move connects, they will be grounded, giving you a free move. This move is best followed-up by an AFRICA PAUNCH. The more percentage they have the longer they'll be grounded. If the opponent is in midair, the move will send them straight down, although not as quick as your other two spikes. If your opponent blocks, two uses of this move will shatter their shield. Just remember a fully charged Fsmash, undiminshed does like 26 damage and has obscene knockback. Obscene. The opponent FREEZES then flies away, that's how awesome it is.

Up + B - Spinning Kong. Your means of recovery. As Sakurai (that jerk) says, YOU MUST RECOVER. The beginning of this move has invincibility frames and great knockback in the air. But only the very beginning. After that, you're open to attack. You can get back from the right and left side of the screen on Final Destination with this move no problem. If you land on the ground when doing this move, you'll fall on your arse and be open to attack once more. If this move is done in the air, and you transcend to a platform very subtly, the move will turn into a grounded Spinning Kong and there will be a lot less landing lag. Anywhere from 5-30 damage if all the hits land.

On the Ground- When this move is performed, there are SA frames in the very beginning. It's also a great way to rack up damage. (i've done almost 30 damage when all the hits connect). A great use of this move is on Yoshi's island on the edge. Fall of the edge, jump then spinning kong, aiming for the slope of the ledge to turn the air Spinning Kong into the grounded version. Get outta mah face.

Down + B - Hand Slap (DK WANT BANANAS)
You guys remember this move from 64? Then Melee? Well it's the best it's ever been in Brawl. It's fast to start, fast to end, and does 14 damage! It only works on the ground though, so you're boned if someone approaches in the air. Don't spam this too much. This move ***** spotdodgers and rollers. It's range is like this. Stand in the middle of FD, then it extends to almost the first arrow. Good range!

SMASHES​
You can use the C-Stick to perform Smashes also. Hot dam.

Up smash - DK performs a powerful upwards clap. It's quick, and since this game is all about vertical kills--it's a great move. The hitbox is where his hands collide and the earth trembles. It can hit bigger characters point blank if they have a big enough frame and are next to DK (like Bowser). It's use is very situational--best in a stage with platforms. Does 18 damage. 25 damage fully charged.

Down Smash (dsmash) - The Twin Hammers of Africa. The left fist is Oppression. The right fist is Justice. DK's quickest and most effective Smash. Hitbox starts at the shoulders and sweetspots at the fists, and will send the opponent up and up. Hits on both sides for the same amount of pain. 17 Damage undiminshed (23 fully charged) if you hit with the fists. With the arms, 14 damage. A kill move that should be saved.

Foward Smash (fsmash) - Remember the big bang? DK can create and take away life. Everyone always winces when they see this move connect. You know, like a kid getting his arse whooped after talkin back to his dad. That's never good news. This move is the same deal, mates. DK's slowest Smash, but also the most powerful. This is the "unexpected wtf where did that come from" smash. 20, count it, 20 damage, undiminished. Hits directly in front of him. Great move that keeps people wary from getting in too close. Most people hit by this move around 60-70 percent are dead meat. Does 28 damage fully charged.

THROWS​
"Press Z or R Twice!"​
Oops, wrong game.​

Press Z to grab. Easy enough. DK has great grab range so abuse it. Run and press Z to do a dash grab. More range, more lag if you miss. Run and press the opposite direction + Z to do a 180 grab. It has more range. Catch your opponents off guard! If you run, then press sheild, then grab, you'll do a shield-dash grab. This is more effective than the standard dash grab. The animation from running then shielding gives you more forward momentum and this also counts as you stopping when you shield, so there is no laggy animation if you mess it up. Always go for this if you're running.

Once you have them in your clutches, you have some options to think over.

Up Throw- Throws the character, well...up. Not much to explain here. This throw is never used for me. Can follow to an uair or a fair I guess. Not a very useful throw. 9 damage.

Down Throw - YOUR MINDGAME THROW. 7 damage. DK will manhandle the opponent and shove them face-first into the ground, and they will plop forward a little bit. From here you could follow up with another throw, and maybe even an AFRICA PAUNCH. That's a quick 34-35 dmg at the beginning of the match. You could even run past em and 180 grab ESPECIALLY after some people'll naturally sidestep to avoid being grabbed again. You can find out their tech strat and keep em always guessing with this throw.

Back Throw - YOUR KILLING THROW. Undiminished it does 11 dmg. It can kill if you save it, so don't be brash and abuse this move all the time. If you need breathing room, sure, go ahead, but save it if you can help it.

Forward Throw (this gets it's own section, it's so good.)

THE ART OF CONGO, I MEAN CARGO.

When you press forward after you pick someone up, magical things can happen. I'm not talking lucky charms, or golden toilets, but it's the art...of Cargo.

If the opponent breaks the cargo, they take 6 damage.

Up cargo (press up, duh!)
Donkey'll throw em up in the air. Worth 7 damage. You could do an upair. This is the least useful cargo, so don't you bother using it. I'm watching you play Brawl.

Forward Cargo (Press forward)
Donkey'll throw em at a 45 degree angle. Does 8 damage. This is more useful. This throw can be used to Cargo Stage Spike (or CSS) almost the whole cast. It makes people go crazy. The impact against the stage can be teched. Also, I've been footstooled more times than I can remember so be sure to do it correctly. Luckily, Ripple has made a video to deal with those dirty people that won't accept their demise of the Cargo. You can find it here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188510

Back Cargo (Press Back)
Donkey'll throw em...well, backwards? Yeah, that's it. Does 8 damage. Also useful in CSS'ing.

Down Cargo (Press Down)
Donkey'll toss them like a women's softball pitcher. But, a MANLY one. Also useful in CSS'ing. Does 6 damage. Do this near the edge to set up for a meteor smash/spike. This throw is also the bane of Ike. Grab him, cargo, fall off the stage, then press down C-Stick (to avoid fastfalling) to easily gimp his recovery. That's what good DK's do. He may have a big Sword named Ragnell, but you are a simian named Donkey Kong. Game set in favor of you. GG Ike.

Section 5- Tips and Tricks, Free of Charge, For you and Donkey

Did you know that DK's fair is disjointed? Oh girl, yes. It also has more vert. range than his upair, so use this move off the stage/when people are above you when ya can.

At around 100-130 damage for your opponent's stock, the Jab becomes a potentially deadly setup combo opportunity for ya. One jab could go into a Dsmash. Jab to a grab. Jab to a ftilt, or utilt. It's not very escapable. So watch your damage!

Side-B (headbutt) has less range in the air. But more POWAH. More PUSHBACK if shielded. More shield-breaking potential. It SPIKES if the opponent is airborne. Don't forget about this move, you guys.

If someone is being gay on the ledge (coughmetaknightcough) you can attempt to fall off, and bair them. It'll stage spike. You could also use the invincibility frames on his Up+B and it'll have the same effect. Remember it's only on the beginning of the move.

Donkey Kong versus a Competent DeDeDe is in no way a fair matchup. Donkey Kong can unfortunately be chaingrabbed from 0-whenever the DeDeDe feels the need to stop. Pick up a secondary character for when this happens. I have picked up Pikachu/Fox for when this happens. I played Inui in this scenario and I just reset the match cause he plays like a gay. But I blame myself for not being prepared for that. No johns, Inui.

Glide Tossing. Those who have ever played a decent ROB or Diddy know about how Glide Tossing can mess up a match for ya. Well it's only because you yourself didn't know what to do or anticipate. Glide Tossing is a setup for a fakeout to a smash or a throw when you least expect it. In all our years of playing Smash, it's just second nature to watch where that item is gonna go cause it'll mess us up. The next thing you know, the opponent has slid across the stage throwing the item, or in some cases, throwing the item not at you...Luckily for us, DK has a pretty sick glide toss and he gets some RANGE. Just remember that you have the power to sliiiide like...a monkey that slides. With an item. If you don't know how to glide toss-- read up about it here http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Glide_Toss

Sometimes people can't tell when you're invincible or not when you have a Africa Paunch stored up. You're flashing and smoking--you always look invincible. People always play differently when you save up a paunch. You have your skills and Africa at your side. Use them together to seal your victory.

For characters that glide into a glide attack- Don't wait for them to come to you. GET IN THE AIR, and BAIR the crap out of them. YOU HAVE A FOOT. THEY HAVE A MESALY SWORD. FOOT > SWORD.

Your Africa Punch can be reversed. On the ground and the air. I just found out you can do it on the ground. It certainly caught me off guard. The same controller input applies for reversing B moves. Tap the direction while airborne, then you will paunch in that direction. Remember that doing the punch in the air reduces it's power. On the ground is different however. If you press B, then IMMEDIATELY press the opposite direction, DK will turn around and PAUNCH! Same power, double the bad-arse-ry. Great for surprising your opponents!

Section 6- Videos- Watch and compare your skills! Chyes!

DK VIDEO THREAD:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242744
My videos: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7961980&postcount=22
This post will continuously be updated. I love you all. I bless the rains down in Africa.

-Ak

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I am sure this will turn out to be a great guide and I love your names for DK's moves (especially the Twin Hammers of Africa lol). I will try to add some of the basics that I think every DK should know later on and maybe some other cool things as well.

S4k3

Smash Rookie
EPIC. I've been noticing that I have a lot of fun playing as DK. My friends and I all considered him a joke for most of Smash history, but I'm gonna make him something to be feared. And this guide has filled my belly with PRIDE.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Africa Swing is the new official name for Fair.
And good read. I've actually found U-throw to be very useful if you need time to charge up Giant Puch, since it takes a year and a day for them to come back down

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I think these should be added to the move descriptions. Ftilt can be angled up or down. Angling it up does 12 damage and with more knockback than a back throw, while angling it down does 9 damage with less knockback but has a much better chance of tripping. In DK's fair his arms are disjointed during the swing (it also has better vertical reach than his uair lol). Fsmash has a sweetspot in between DK's shoulders and his hands that does 22 damage when fresh (if too close and it will be weaker than usual). Aerial side-B's have less range than grounded ones but are better in every other way because they do more shield damage, pushes blockers farther away, spikes people in the air (grounded ones cannot spike), and best of all pitfalls them longer too (not because it does 4 more damage). Africa Paunch (lol) does 29 damage and fsmash does 21 (in versus mode not training mode because they are different for some weird reason). Utilt has 2 sweetspots. One does 10 damage with better knockback and the other does 11 damage with the best knockback. It depends how close to DK's shoulder they are hit I think. If you spam dtilt enough thanks to stale moves negation it can trip at really high percentages for an easy KO. DK's jab combo is not a combo until they are at like 30% but at high %'s like around 100-130% if you jab them at max range you can do a jab to grab, utilt, ftilt, or even dsmash combo that is inescapable (true combo).

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
I think these should be added to the move descriptions. Ftilt can be angled up or down. Angling it up does 12 damage and with more knockback than a back throw, while angling it down does 9 damage with less knockback but has a much better chance of tripping. In DK's fair his arms are disjointed during the swing (it also has better vertical reach than his uair lol). Fsmash has a sweetspot in between DK's shoulders and his hands that does 22 damage when fresh (if too close and it will be weaker than usual). Aerial side-B's have less range than grounded ones but are better in every other way because they do more shield damage, pushes blockers farther away, spikes people in the air (grounded ones cannot spike), and best of all pitfalls them longer too (not because it does 4 more damage). Africa Paunch (lol) does 29 damage and fsmash does 21 (in versus mode not training mode because they are different for some weird reason). Utilt has 2 sweetspots. One does 10 damage with better knockback and the other does 11 damage with the best knockback. It depends how close to DK's shoulder they are hit I think. If you spam dtilt enough thanks to stale moves negation it can trip at really high percentages for an easy KO. DK's jab combo is not a combo until they are at like 30% but at high %'s like around 100-130% if you jab them at max range you can do a jab to grab, utilt, ftilt, or even dsmash combo that is inescapable (true combo).
This'll ALL be added. Nice information.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Strange. I recall brawling with someone who went by the name "AK-47" in Brawl. I wonder if you're the same person. Anyway, I got some information to help your cool guide.

Neutral

• A (A)
    • Damage: 4% (6%) = 10%

Dash

• Trot/Run+A
    • Damage: 11%

Tilt

• U-tilt
    • Damage: 9% if forward; 10% if backward; 9% if backward but only the hand hits

• F-tilt
    • Damage: 10%; 12% if angled up, 9% if angled down

• D-tilt
    • Damage: 8%; can cause tripping

Smash

• U-smash
    • Damage: 18%; 25% charged

• F-smash
    • Damage: 20%; 21% with the finger tips; 28% charged; 29% with the finger tips

• D-smash
    • Damage: 17% with hands; 14% with arms; 23% charged with hands; 19% charged with arms

Aerial

• N-air

• U-air
    • Damage: 14%

• F-air
    • Damage: 16%

• D-air
    • Damage: 16%

• B-air
    • Damage: 13%

Special

• B
    • Damage: 10%; 28% charged

• Up+B
    • Damage: 35%

• Forward+B
    • Damage: 10%

• Down+B
    • Damage: 14%

Grab

• L/R+A
    • Damage: 3%

• L/R+Up
    • Damage: 9%

• L/R+Forward
    • Damage: 8%

• L/R+Down
    • Damage: 7%

• L/R+Backward

Because this was done in Training Mode, the damage percent here may not be as accurate. Also, for Donkey Kong's Up+B, that was very difficult to do. I don't know if that's accurate, but that's how much percent damage I dealt with the attack total. The opponent would either fly upward or get knocked away. The use of a Metal Box wasn't all that useful, either.

Mith_

Smash Champion
10/10

Very useful information. I hate Donkey Kong because he's so slow but maybe this will help my DK game.

The Director

Smash Lord
Very nice guide!!

I have one qualm with it tho, and this is a misconception about DK that a lot of people are inclined to believe...

Use the backthrow as much as possible!! Yes, its his "kill throw", but think about it: how many opportunities are you going to get to kill somebody with a throw? Very few. Especially in Brawl, where the throw has overall been weakened once again. (it was beast in 64, became weaker in Melee and even weaker now)

The throw is not just used for killing people and setting up combos, but its also a great defensive maneuver. Say you and your opponent are both near 150%. There's nothing better than spacing yourself from him and potentially setting up a combo or a kill move.

Observe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pS__nrSfzQ

Also, a lot of people (most of which who don't play DK) tell me to spam the downsmash. This is wrong. Spam the throw, keep the downsmash. That's his real kill move.

Tujex

Smash Ace
Spam DownB moreso than Dsmash. It ***** shields, ***** rolls, ***** spot dodges, ***** dash attacks, ***** grabs. It pretty much ***** every defensive manuever besides jumping....which Dsmash takes care of.

Tujex

Smash Ace
LMAO! This guide is hilarious, descriptive, helpful, informative, and persuasive. Its guides like this combined with the power of Africa and DK's awesomeness that made me pic the beast up over Pit in the first place.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
You can actually reverse the punch in the air the same way you describe doing it on the ground. Press B then immediately smash back.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
theultimodragon said:
Down Smash (dsmash) - The Twin Hammers of Africa. The left fist is Oppression. The right fist is Justice. DK's quickest and most effective Smash. Hitbox starts at the shoulders and sweetspots at the fists, and will send the opponent up and up. Hits on both sides for the same amount of pain. 17 Damage undiminshed (23 fully charged) if you hit with the fists. With the arms, 14 damage. A kill move that should be saved.

Foward Smash (fsmash) - Remember the big bang? DK can create and take away life. Everyone always winces when they see this move connect. You know, like a kid getting his arse whooped after talkin back to his dad. That's never good news. This move is the same deal, mates. DK's slowest Smash, but also the most powerful. This is the "unexpected wtf where did that come from" smash. 20, count it, 20 damage, undiminished. Hits directly in front of him. Great move that keeps people wary from getting in too close. Most people hit by this move around 60-70 percent are dead meat. Does 28 damage fully charged.
I lol'd hard. Good stuff!

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I guess the end of summer means things will be even slower from here on. I found out something cool with DK's down b though. On platforms DK's down b will hit characters standing below you if they are tall enough. Pretty much anyone Mario or taller gets hit on the lower platforms in Battlefield. This has helped me a lot on Battlefield vs. Marth who loves to spam up smash and utilt when I'm on the lower platforms.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I guess the end of summer means things will be even slower from here on. I found out something cool with DK's down b though. On platforms DK's down b will hit characters standing below you if they are tall enough. Pretty much anyone Mario or taller gets hit on the lower platforms in Battlefield. This has helped me a lot on Battlefield vs. Marth who loves to spam up smash and utilt when I'm on the lower platforms.

if you use this little trick on mansion it can hit above and below the weird platforms in the middle.

Cod

Smash Rookie
You can actually reverse the punch in the air the same way you describe doing it on the ground. Press B then immediately smash back.
Also, it's different than the tapping back first method in that it reverses your momentum, which can lead to surprise Punches to the face.

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
Sorry to be away, I just had exams and stuff. Been playing a lot of stuff and Smash was on the backburner, but now it's Business Time. (oh baby).

Right now we'll be discussing stages. Ripple did a glorious one for Brinstar, so let's expand and make this guide even better by talking about some advantages in tourney-legal stages. We'll start with Final D. As soon as I wake up the next day XD

The Director

Smash Lord
DK is a beast on Final D. Not only is it completely ripe for a stage spike, but its diminished size (from Melee) and DK's hugeness gives him a big advantage here.

The flat stage allows perfect setups for spamming bair and tilts. DK fairs so much better on Final D in Brawl than he did in Melee.

Top Bottom