• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why We Will Probably Never Get Melee HD

Do you think we should get a remake/remaster?

• Yes

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters

Syprone

Smash Cadet
Getting a Melee remake or even an HD remaster is hopeless for multiple reasons.
1) It would be easier for Nintendo to make a virtual console and put Melee in the VC.
This would take less time and resources on Nintendo’s part. They would also avoid the following controversy.
PATCHING
If Nintendo made a remake or HD remaster, they would face the decision of patching the game.
2)
If Nintendo patched the game, wave dashing and many other “mechanics” would be removed.

Also, buffs and nerds will be thrown around. The likes of fox, falco, and Marth will be nerfed to the ground and Bowser, Kirby, and pichu (maybe not him) will be buffed. This alone will both upset the community and make an entirely different meta, effectively making a new competitive smash.
3) If Nintendo didn’t patch the game, they would be saying that these original glitches are game mechanics and that it’s ok that some characters are just complete trash. This is extremely unlikely.
Also, the Swotch isn’t region locked. If Nintendo didn’t make patches, the game would be either be region locked (which Nintendo is against) or one region will prevail above all which would upset the community even more that their version wasn’t chosen. If the PAL version was chosen, the North American community would say that it’s unfair that they don’t get their game in glorious HD, or that they don’t get their game on the go without emulators, as well as all of the controller options. The GC is the standard, but some may want the pro controller.
4) If Nintendo were to give any GC game an HD remaster, it would most likely be Sunshine. Melee would probably not be chosen to avoid the above controversy.
5) It would just seem lackluster to most people. “Oh, look. A remake of a game that we can already easily get already but with different graphics. But why would I want to play a game with 26 characters when there’s one with 80. 108 stages to under 30. An expansive 30 hour story mode to a half-hour platformer/beatemup. And it has an online mode where you literally can not win 5 games without getting destroyed by an average player who flies around faster than I can comprehend.” (If it even has online.)
If you want to add any more reasons are start a friendly argument in the comments below, be my guest.

Weenuk

Smash Cadet
wait people were actually thinking nintendo was gonna release melee hd?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I think the main reason Melee HD would never happen is Nintendo would be scared of killing whatever Smash game is currently out at the time

Syprone

Smash Cadet
I think the main reason Melee HD would never happen is Nintendo would be scared of killing whatever Smash game is currently out at the time
I could see that going either way. If Nintendo announced Melee HD as well as a port of Sm4sh to the Switch at 2017’s E3, would Sm4sh have died? I don’t think so. However, if Melee HD was released now, both the sales of Ultimate and the remaster would go down.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I could see that going either way. If Nintendo announced Melee HD as well as a port of Sm4sh to the Switch at 2017’s E3, would Sm4sh have died? I don’t think so. However, if Melee HD was released now, both the sales of Ultimate and the remaster would go down.
Exactly and Nintendo isn’t willing to take that chance. They’re not willing to undercut Ultimates sales and they don’t want the entire competitive scene migrating to Melee HD. I just don’t see it happening. Maybe at the end of Ultimate’s lifecycle if this is really Sakuri’s last smash game

Syprone

Smash Cadet
They’re not willing to undercut Ultimates sales and they don’t want the entire competitive scene migrating to Melee HD. I just don’t see it happening. Maybe at the end of Ultimate’s lifecycle if this is really Sakuri’s last smash game
I meant if they announced Sm4sh port and Melee HD INSTEAD of Ultimate. If that happened, I don’t think Sm4sh would’ve died. But now, it’s to late for a long while.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I meant if they announced Sm4sh port and Melee HD INSTEAD of Ultimate. If that happened, I don’t think Sm4sh would’ve died. But now, it’s to late for a long while.
Oh I got you. I think it may happen eventually. Just not for a long time. Nintendo does have a tendency to port their successful games though

Syprone

Smash Cadet
Nintendo does have a tendency to port their successful games though
If you want to go the “port the successful game” route, Brawl sold nearly twice as much as Melee. But I think Most of Nintendo’s current Audience has played Brawl and not Melee, so it would make more sense to port Melee. However, if Nintendo were to HD remaster any game, it would most likely be Sunshine regardless.

Last edited:

DVthemaster

Smash Rookie
Getting a Melee remake or even an HD remaster is hopeless for multiple reasons.
1) It would be easier for Nintendo to make a virtual console and put Melee in the VC.
This would take less time and resources on Nintendo’s part. They would also avoid the following controversy.
PATCHING
If Nintendo made a remake or HD remaster, they would face the decision of patching the game.
2)
If Nintendo patched the game, wave dashing and many other “mechanics” would be removed.

Also, buffs and nerds will be thrown around. The likes of fox, falco, and Marth will be nerfed to the ground and Bowser, Kirby, and pichu (maybe not him) will be buffed. This alone will both upset the community and make an entirely different meta, effectively making a new competitive smash.
3) If Nintendo didn’t patch the game, they would be saying that these original glitches are game mechanics and that it’s ok that some characters are just complete trash. This is extremely unlikely.
Also, the Swotch isn’t region locked. If Nintendo didn’t make patches, the game would be either be region locked (which Nintendo is against) or one region will prevail above all which would upset the community even more that their version wasn’t chosen. If the PAL version was chosen, the North American community would say that it’s unfair that they don’t get their game in glorious HD, or that they don’t get their game on the go without emulators, as well as all of the controller options. The GC is the standard, but some may want the pro controller.
4) If Nintendo were to give any GC game an HD remaster, it would most likely be Sunshine. Melee would probably not be chosen to avoid the above controversy.
5) It would just seem lackluster to most people. “Oh, look. A remake of a game that we can already easily get already but with different graphics. But why would I want to play a game with 26 characters when there’s one with 80. 108 stages to under 30. An expansive 30 hour story mode to a half-hour platformer/beatemup. And it has an online mode where you literally can not win 5 games without getting destroyed by an average player who flies around faster than I can comprehend.” (If it even has online.)
If you want to add any more reasons are start a friendly argument in the comments below, be my guest.
Even tho i want melee HD sadly i've already excepted the fact that we'll probably never get it. Skaurai just doesn't really like the melee community, and I think out of any Nintendo game to remake Melee is their last option.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Nintendo are a business they only care about units sold not the competitive scene. I doubt Melee HD will happen but a Smash bros contemplation is bound to happen at some point as it would print money. Kinda like how Capcom randomly does Street Fighter compilations. I also see no reason why a re-release would be patched.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
It'd be cool but I dont see it happening, why would they downgrade?

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
There's no need for Melee HD especially since we almost have everything from Melee into Ultimate. I mean with Ultimate we already have most stages from/or was included in Melee minus a couple (Rip Pokefloats) along with most Melee items already in the game. Not to mention we have all the Melee characters too. Sure gameplay, tech, and characters play differently from Melee but the content is basically there. This will most likely be the closest thing to Melee HD we'll ever get.

Zoa

Smash Ace
It'd be cool but I dont see it happening, why would they downgrade?
Not really a downgrade except in content in a few areas, but Melee has its own exclusive content as well. It's more about the gameplay that draws in people rather than an overinflated roster or amount of stages like Ultimate has. To many, including myself, Melee is still the pinnacle of gameplay in the series (not including fanmade games) even though I don't actively participate in it. It's just that good.

There's no need for Melee HD especially since we almost have everything from Melee into Ultimate. I mean with Ultimate we already have most stages from/or was included in Melee minus a couple (Rip Pokefloats) along with most Melee items already in the game. Not to mention we have all the Melee characters too. Sure gameplay, tech, and characters play differently from Melee but the content is basically there. This will most likely be the closest thing to Melee HD we'll ever get.
I would argue otherwise. Ultimate still may have some of Melee's tech, but it's nigh useless. Wavedashing cannot be used properly at all because you cannot immediately air dodge into the ground right after your character jumps, and the amount of end lag was nearly doubled (up from frame 10 to 18-19). Wavelanding still incurs the amount of lag, and you cannot use it to slide off platforms making it night useless as well. So no sliding off platforms into an aerial. Dash dancing doesn't exist either. It's just an easier foxtrot with fixed initial dash animations. Plus with the way foxtrots are, they're a lot less useful for spacing and punishing. Both need to exist for a proper spacing and punishing game.

Plus overall punishes seem to be exceedingly weak in this game. Lots of kill confirms are missing, and there is a noticeable lack of mid to high percent combos. This is likely gonna lead to another neutral heavy game that Brawl started, and it might end up making the game defensive despite all the faster paced changes in the game. Plus with recoveries the way they still are (bonkers), and the way ledge mechanics are, they make far reaching recoveries a lot more lenient.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I would argue otherwise. Ultimate still may have some of Melee's tech, but it's nigh useless. Wavedashing cannot be used properly at all because you cannot immediately air dodge into the ground right after your character jumps, and the amount of end lag was nearly doubled (up from frame 10 to 18-19). Wavelanding still incurs the amount of lag, and you cannot use it to slide off platforms making it night useless as well. So no sliding off platforms into an aerial. Dash dancing doesn't exist either. It's just an easier foxtrot with fixed initial dash animations. Plus with the way foxtrots are, they're a lot less useful for spacing and punishing. Both need to exist for a proper spacing and punishing game.
That's why I said gameplay and tech are different. Even characters don't play the same as their Melee counterparts. I'm basically saying that most of the stages and items are here and that all melee characters are there.

Zoa

Smash Ace
That's why I said gameplay and tech are different. Even characters don't play the same as their Melee counterparts. I'm basically saying that most of the stages and items are here and that all melee characters are there.
I get that, but I digress. There are many more changes in Ultimate that make it radically different to the point where it isn't comparable to a Melee clone, or even an HD version of it. I get your argument is related to content exclusively, but failing to factor in the single biggest reason why Melee is still played, and why you feel there should be no HD version of Melee for a completely separate reason, seems a little disingenuous to me. Not hating on you. Just the argument doesn't seem sound to me.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This would probably appeal to only the hardcore melee fans...and even then half of them will prefer their original Melee. More if Nintendo tweak any of the gameplay elements.

Your more casual Smash fan meanwhile isn't going to want to lose 75% of their modern day content...honestly the idea doesn't seem profitable at all whilst Super Smash Bros. is still churning out new games.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I get that, but I digress. There are many more changes in Ultimate that make it radically different to the point where it isn't comparable to a Melee clone, or even an HD version of it. I get your argument is related to content exclusively, but failing to factor in the single biggest reason why Melee is still played, and why you feel there should be no HD version of Melee for a completely separate reason, seems a little disingenuous to me. Not hating on you. Just the argument doesn't seem sound to me.
But here's the thing. Now it may didn't sound clear but my argument is supposed to be geared towards COULD we get melee HD. Never in Nintendo's eyes would they ever do this. The best we'll see Melee again would be something similar to virtual console or with what Nintendo is doing with NES games for switch right now. Which is why I think Ultimate is the closest we'll get to Melee HD. Should we? It'd be a nice treat and if it goes right then that'll be great and bring more life into Melee especially for the competitive scene. We probably should considering how much of a history Melee has to be where it is today. But realistically I don't see Nintendo making an HD version.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Well part of me thinks that Ultimate kinda is a Sm4sh port. I mean take a look at some of the other switch titles. BOTW, Mario Kart, and now New Super Mario Bros too. For those reasons, it wouldn't surprise me to see a melee port eventually. They definitely wouldnt release it now because it would conflict with Ultimate's fan base. Im certainly playing more Ultimate now than Melee and the opposite would be true if they ported Melee to switch. On the flip side, Melee is also a very niche market, so although I said i wouldn't be surprised to see a Melee port, I think I actually would be surprised.

Top Bottom