• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Spirits DO Deconfirm DLC Fighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
After the events of the Smash Bros direct on November 1st, 2018, there has been some debate on whether or not Spirits deconfirm. The general consensus of the community is that they don’t and that people should continue rooting for characters like Shantae, Bandana Dee, Geno and Rayman. However, I am going to go over why being a PNG file is just as bad as being an Assist Trophy in Smash Bros Ultimate.

Reggie’s words about Joker:

First of all, we know who the first character of the DLC fighter pass is: Joker from Persona 5. While he doesn’t provide any evidence that Spirits deconfirm in and of himself, what Reggie Fils-Amié, President of Nintendo of America, said about Joker that does. Reggie, shortly after Joker’s reveal, said the following:

And so this [Joker] give you a flavor about how we’re approaching the DLC. So the DLC: there’s going to be five characters. Each character will come with a stage; it will come with a collection of music. These are going to be characters that are new to the series just like Joker from Persona 5: characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.”

There are 3 parts of Reggies statement that are important here:

“And so this [Joker] give you a flavor about how we’re approaching the DLC”:

Reggie is saying that the other DLC fighters are going to be like Joker. But the question is: how are they going to be like him? The most likely answer is that they are Third Party characters. This is because of the precedent that was set by the DLC from Smash 4 with Ryu, Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta. All but one of them are Third Party, so the first DLC pick for this game being Third Party coupled with the fact that Reggie said that the other fighters are going to be like him implies that the DLC for this game will follow the Third Party precedent set by the previous game and will be mostly, if not completely Third Party, which is bad news for characters like Bandana Dee, Elma and Octolings.

“characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate”:

Reggie said that the fighters would not be anticipated. To anticipate could mean “to expect” or “to look forward to” (as in “to want”), or even both. Assuming Reggie means that they would be unexpected newcomers, that instantly throws any characters previously perceived by the community as likely out of the running, such as Geno and Bandana Dee. Additionally, it follows the idea that I mentioned earlier that the DLC would follow the Third Party precedent of Smash 4. Conversely, there is the possibility that Reggie is saying that the characters are not characters who are wanted or highly requested. This means that all of the characters who were previously considered contenders to get in due to them being highly requested would not be making it into the roster.

“These are going to be characters that are new to the series”:

The other two statements don’t necessarily mean that Spirits deconfirm; only that fan-favorites and characters that were previously expected are now out of the running. However, this statement actually provides evidence that Spirits, in particular, deconfirm. Notice how he said “new to the series” and didn’t simply say “newcomers” or “new challengers”. He’s trying to say that there will be no fighters in the DLC pass that have appeared in a Smash Bros. game in any other way, shape or form. No Poké Balls, no Assist Trophies, and no Spirits.

Sakurai, Nintendo News, & the Announcer’s Descriptions of Spirits:

Sakurai:

“In this mysterious world, the unspeakable happens: many beloved characters lose their physical forms. All of them, except the fighters, are turned into Spirits, unable to return to the real world"

The Announcer:

“What’s this? Characters other than fighters? Must be SPIRITS!”

Nintendo Switch News (on World of Light):

“You can’t play as a spirit, but you can equip them…”

Firstly, let’s get to the easily understandable part. All 3 sources clarify that Spirits are separate from fighters. Simply put, spirits and fighters are two separate entities. Fighters are playable characters; Spirits are not.

Secondly, there’s a separation that goes deeper into the lore. Before stating that Spirits can’t return to the real world, Sakurai mentions how fighters are toys that want to get back to the real world. Spirits cannot do this, because they do not have a toy form that they can take in the real world. They are Spirits and not Fighters because they don’t have a body at all to return to. While Poké Balls and Assist Trophies have bodies, they cannot maintain those physical forms long enough to return the real world, since they despawn after a short period of time. Regardless, the divide between fighters and spirits is clear.

There are Fighter Spirits, but I will address those and why they don’t help the situation of the other Spirits in the Counterarguments section.

DLC was chosen during development:

Sakurai’s First Tweet about DLC:

Shortly after the November 1st Direct, Sakurai Tweeted the following:

He states that the DLC Line-up was already chosen and finalized, despite being before the game released. Since it takes time for the legal rights to the Third Party characters need to be obtained, the DLC fighters were most likely chosen during development. The evidence for this is:

No Pirahna Plant Spirit:

Pirahna Plant is a Fighter, so if he’s shown as a Spirit that can be equipped (or as a Master Spirit), we can know for sure that Spirits do not deconfirm. After all, it’s pretty reasonable for him to be a spirit, since he’s a generic enemy. Only problem is, he’s not.

Sakurai’s Second Tweet about DLC:

Why would Sakurai tell us American fans to stop supporting our most wanted characters? Because 1: he’s not taking fan requests into account for DLC and 2: The DLC picks have already been chosen. If he wasn’t so set on having no fan favorites in the game, then why would he go out of his way to make sure as many as possible are Spirits?

Counterarguments:

“Sprits are like Trophies!”

No they’re not. In order to explain the crucial difference, let’s explain what a Trophy is (or was) and what a Spirit is. A Trophy is a 3D model that allows the player to take a break from the fight and learn more about characters from certain games. Spirits are PNG files that give fighters boosts in battle. Knowing that, the difference is pretty clear. Unlike trophies, Spirits actually have a role on the battlefield, since they’re meant to be a way to implement more characters into the game, just like Poké Balls and Assist Trophies, so they aren’t the same. In fact, it’s worse than trophies, since they have a non-fighter role on the battlefield.

“Lucas and Mewtwo were trophies and made it back!”:

Yes, but Spirits are different than trophies, as I said before. Additionally, all of the DLC newcomers in Smash 4 were not previously in the game in any other form. So maybe it wasn’t that trophies didn’t deconfirm. Maybe it was that trophies DID deconfirm, and that Veterans are the exceptions, rather than the rule.

“Sakurai wouldn’t say “No. They can’t be in the game, because they’re PNG files”!”

Yes, but you’re looking at it backwards. Since spirits are easy to develop and it is entirely possible for them to be chosen after fighters, it is likely that Sakurai added those Spirits to the game with the mindset of “They’re spirits because they’re not DLC Fighters”, rather than the other way around.

“{Fighter} has a Spirit!”:

Those are Fighter Spirits, which are completely different from the other kinds of Spirits. Fighter Spirits are Spirits that do nothing. You can’t equip them like Primary or Support Spirits, and you can’t use a facility or service with their help like a Master Spirit. All you can do is look at their artwork. The spirits are nothing but a reward for clearing that character’s Classic route or buying them in the shop. Nothing else.

“There’s a Spirit that’s a form of {Fighter}!”:

OK, but those are either different iterations of the character or not that character at all. Saying that Kaptain K. Rool is the same as King K. Rool would be like saying that Dr. Mario is the same as Mario or that Toon Link is the same as Link. Each is treated as a separate character.

There is a lot of evidence that supports the idea that Spirits deconfirm characters, while there is no evidence that says otherwise without a reasonable doubt. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s pretty safe to say the likes of Shantae, Bandana Dee, Rayman, and Geno are just as much a lost cause as the likes of Waluigi, Shadow and Isaac.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Very good read.
You make very good points.
I was almost sure spirits deconfirmed characters, but now, because of your evidence, I'm completely sure.

Wish I could add anything, but this was pretty thorough. And Reggie's words we're pretty clear from the beginning to me anyway.

They're not going to come up with the whole concept pf Spirits, and give them lore, just so they double down and go "you know what's, this spirit is special, as in he's also playable".

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There are always different ways to look at things. None of what you brought up confirms or deconfirms anything. I don't understand why you want to try to push your perspective like this.

Don't bother replying to me here, because I'm only posting here to let anyone unsuspecting know that all of this is coming from someone with unfathomable pessimism, concluding extreme stuff and looking for what justifies it. It's abundantly clear from everything he posted in the past. (including going against his own characters with almost no reason to)

It's something that can be debated. But we really just dont know enough to say for sure.

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I agree with you wholeheartedly, I am 99.99% certain that spirits deconfirm, at least for this wave of dlc characters. I really think anyone who still thinks spirits could be dlc characters (in this first wave, mind you) will be VERY disappointed in the end

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Another thing to mention: the Nipper Plant spirit enhances into Petey Piranha. as Petey has no affiliation with Nipper Plants, it's very possible there was a quick last second change to replace the PP spirit with a Nipper Plant.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I very much agree with the OP. It’s really Reggie’s comments that seal the deal to me.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I just think that since, unlike regular old trophies, Spirits have a direct influence on the gameplay, a sort of mechanical role already implemented, they won't be made into playable characters. There's nothing saying they can't do that, but I get the sense that they won't.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Well if they are going all third party for FP DLC, I wonder how much choice they'd have for 1st party characters of such Reggie-stated unexpectedness and hype anyway, at least w/ spirits deconfirmation. Anyone got any suggestions?

I'd personally like a Rhythm Heaven character as we've still got options for one even if spirits deconfirm thus ruling the Chorus Kids and Karate Joe out and maybe Nintendo would like at least one first party in there and thus appeal to its perhaps big fanbase in Japan as a new 1st party franchise to Smash that's sorta big and yet uncapitalised on in Smash while also being a big shocker and not having certain other franchises to compete with as they already have Mii costumes, spirits or Assist Trophies to largely represent themselves in the game on the battlefield but that's prolly a pipe dream lol

Someone also mentioned some fan wanted characters notably being really powerful spirits, maybe like Rayman and Chorus Kids and such.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's no deconfirmation.
Nothing that was said is 'characters that have spirits in the game can't also be chosen as a playable fighter in the future.'

It's fine if you think it makes them less likely, but I just ask to stop calling it deconfirmation.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There's no deconfirmation.
Nothing that was said is 'characters that have spirits in the game can't also be chosen as a playable fighter in the future.'

It's fine if you think it makes them less likely, but I just ask to stop calling it deconfirmation.
Stuff can be disconfirmed without it being outright said it’s disconfirmed.

Most people seem to agree that Assist Trophies and bosses are also disconfirmed, despite it never being said that they are.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Call me what you want, but if all DLC is third party, then I am all in, not only does this deconfirm characters that were considered locks like Rex and Spring Man(VERY certain they are for the next Smash though), we also have pretty much no idea who to expect, which makes things more interesting.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Call me what you want, but if all DLC is third party, then I am all in, not only does this deconfirm characters that were considered locks like Rex and Spring Man(VERY certain they are for the next Smash though), we also have pretty much no idea who to expect, which makes things more interesting.
I have to disagree with you there. Smash Bros is supposed to be a game about Nintendo Characters with a few guests, so letting the 3rd parties take the spotlight is going a bit overboard, especially when a lot of highly anticipated characters (like Rex and Bandana Dee) have become important parts of Nintendo to warrant them being in the game. It also removes the possibility for the DLC to be a chance to update the current roster with newer characters that made large impacts (i.e, Rex and Octoling) in less time than some of the older characters. As for unpredictability, there are many leaks that are reliable that have already stated the Final Four Newcomers (2 of which are backed up by Vergeben, who was 100% accurate for the base game), so I think we already know who's getting in.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
AT's and Bosses(etc.) aren't actually disconfirmed regardless. Just like Spirits aren't. Though the difference is there's fair reason to believe AT's etc. won't be DLC either. There's a difference between a disconfirmation(not when it comes to base, mind you, but DLC) and 'this is a good reason to believe they're unlikely". People treat them exactly the same, which is wrong.

And I don't even treat like there's a chance someone like Waluigi will be DLC, even with a second Fighter's Pass. But I also recognize that these are two different things. It's not a legitimate disconfirmation till Sakurai actually acknowledges it. It's a "probably not getting in due to this role", and we should've learned that Sakurai doesn't care as much as we do, considering Chrom is full among Robin's victories/etc. It seems more of a development factor, like having Toad playable would make him very easy to confuse with Peach's version used. Thus, it'd be hard to outright change her moveset. Coupled with no current ideas of how to make Toad unique, and it makes a lot of sense. I mean, obviously, if Ridley become playable in 4, it would make perfect sense to remove Ridley from the playable Pyrosphere whenever he's selected, if they aren't using an extremely different design. Or force it unusable outside of the 8-Player variant. Sakurai has removed things like background characters so the playable and non-playable won't be onscreen at once. What it really seems like is it depends if you can both confuse the NPC and PC, as well as how big of a role they play in the stage. Toon Link has to be outright replaced when another Toon Link was playable. Whereas it's easy to remove King Dedede's sprite on Dreamland 64 when the penguin is played as. So it's not a "one size fits all" factor. It depends on a lot.

I could see them removing the small part of Captain Toad's appearance in New Donk City since the bigger focus is on Pauline. CT's airship rarely shows up, after all.

Now, for this topic, I don't think Spirits inherently disconfirm. One big reason is the fact that Sakurai didn't actually choose them all. His team did for fun. This means it wasn't heavily a key factor in determining who is playable or not. An important thing to remember is that Spirits can have the same person, but more than one name. Why wouldn't DLC ones? You can't even equip Fighter Spirits, so that issue barely exists. The worst they'd need to do is rename the descriptions of the non-fighter spirits, like, for example, Shantae.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I have to disagree with you there. Smash Bros is supposed to be a game about Nintendo Characters with a few guests, so letting the 3rd parties take the spotlight is going a bit overboard, especially when a lot of highly anticipated characters (like Rex and Bandana Dee) have become important parts of Nintendo to warrant them being in the game. It also removes the possibility for the DLC to be a chance to update the current roster with newer characters that made large impacts (i.e, Rex and Octoling) in less time than some of the older characters. As for unpredictability, there are many leaks that are reliable that have already stated the Final Four Newcomers (2 of which are backed up by Vergeben, who was 100% accurate for the base game), so I think we already know who's getting in.
I can respect your opinion, it's just that in my case having out of left field picks like Joker really spices things up as opposed as to just wait when will an obvious choice will be added.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't see how getting DLC in for spirit characters would be a problem, but as for whether any spirits will get promoted in Fighter's Pass? Yeah, gonna have to say no on that one. Miscellaneous DLC or further waves, should they end up happening at all, are pretty much their best chances at getting promoted.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Given that Reggie stated characters would not be anticipated at an event made for a general gaming audience, I'd assume he's focusing on an audience whose idea of an "expected" Fighter's Pass would be Goku, Steve, Sans, Freddy Fazbear, and Fortnite Guy.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Stuff can be disconfirmed without it being outright said it’s disconfirmed.

Most people seem to agree that Assist Trophies and bosses are also disconfirmed, despite it never being said that they are.
And unlike assist tophies which for the most part are at the very least near-deconfirmations, there's nothing that legitimately points to spirits meaning there can't be a fighter of one. It's not like seeing a character on the stage, so there's no conflict, and the arguments about what was said (like with reggie) are so very bad, I find it uncomfortable even just to talk more on this, so for my own intents, I plan on not posting anymore in this thread.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Now, for this topic, I don't think Spirits inherently disconfirm. One big reason is the fact that Sakurai didn't actually choose them all. His team did for fun. This means it wasn't heavily a key factor in determining who is playable or not. An important thing to remember is that Spirits can have the same person, but more than one name. Why wouldn't DLC ones? You can't even equip Fighter Spirits, so that issue barely exists. The worst they'd need to do is rename the descriptions of the non-fighter spirits, like, for example, Shantae.
Even if Sakurai didn't choose the spirits, all he would have needed to do is make sure the people who did choose spirits didn't pick the actual DLC fighters to make into spirits. Again, it's most likely that "they're Spirits because they're not DLC" and not that "they're not DLC because they're spirits", thanks to how easy they are to add.

I don't see how getting DLC in for spirit characters would be a problem, but as for whether any spirits will get promoted in Fighter's Pass? Yeah, gonna have to say no on that one. Miscellaneous DLC or further waves, should they end up happening at all, are pretty much their best chances at getting promoted.
I feel that it's less about whether or not they could promote them (they could), but moreso whether or not they would.

Given that Reggie stated characters would not be anticipated at an event made for a general gaming audience, I'd assume he's focusing on an audience whose idea of an "expected" Fighter's Pass would be Goku, Steve, Sans, Freddy Fazbear, and Fortnite Guy.
I feel that that's assuming a lot of the gamers are trolls and/or people who don't realize that Smash, at it's core is about Nintendo characters. It also doesn't explain how Joker is unexpected from a Nintendo fan's viewpoint as well.

And also, Steve? You know he's actually EXTREMELY likely, right?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Even if Sakurai didn't choose the spirits, all he would have needed to do is make sure the people who did choose spirits didn't pick the actual DLC fighters to make into spirits. Again, it's most likely that "they're Spirits because they're not DLC" and not that "they're not DLC because they're spirits", thanks to how easy they are to add.
He has zero reason to care beyond making sure the "names" were right, which is literally just rewriting a description. There's also zero good reason to believe he chose characters like that. DLC was decided on near the end of development. Spirits were decided on heavily throughout development. He is not going to go through a list of 1300 names just to cut out a few characters. It's really that irrelevant. He only needs enough information to change a few lines. That's... it.

I feel that it's less about whether or not they could promote them (they could), but moreso whether or not they would.
It's more they're characters that are becoming DLC that happen to have spirits. Not promoting. It's like with Mewtwo and Lucas in 4. They weren't promoted from Trophies. They were chosen to be playable due to popularity/other reasons. So it's looking at it in a way that probably isn't what Sakurai intends with DLC. He's not promoting anything. He's adding fun and unique(and unexpected) characters independently of chosen Spirits. His team can just let him know what Spirits were done, and boom, rewrite a few lines, and you're good. That's literally how irrelevant Spirits are to the Fighter's Pass. Especially when Fighter Spirits are separate from equipable ones. So it would just happen again. Any DLC will be Fighter Spirits in this particular context. So they do not clash with any you can equip by design. So beyond writing a few lines, where's the issue?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Smash is not about Nintendo characters anymore, according to Sakurai himself. Also, with all due respect, but I don't see what's so important about Rex and the Octolings, more so with the latter since the Inklings themselves are already a good representation for Splatoon. There's just a lot more third-party characters with fame and impact to think of when compared to a bunch of recent Nintendo characters (which is probably why I didn't like 4's base roster that much).

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I personally don't believe spirits deconfirm anybody, but I do believe anyone who's currently a spirit is unlikely anyways. But that's not BECAUSE they're a spirit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I personally don't believe spirits deconfirm anybody, but I do believe anyone who's currently a spirit is unlikely anyways. But that's not BECAUSE they're a spirit.
Why are they unlikely then? Just curious for the examples or reasoning.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
He has zero reason to care beyond making sure the "names" were right, which is literally just rewriting a description. There's also zero good reason to believe he chose characters like that. DLC was decided on near the end of development. Spirits were decided on heavily throughout development. He is not going to go through a list of 1300 names just to cut out a few characters. It's really that irrelevant. He only needs enough information to change a few lines. That's... it.
While the Spirits mode itself (or rather a single-player mode that used other characters) was chosen before DLC fighters, is there any evidence the the Spirits themselves were?

It's more they're characters that are becoming DLC that happen to have spirits. Not promoting. It's like with Mewtwo and Lucas in 4. They weren't promoted from Trophies. They were chosen to be playable due to popularity/other reasons. So it's looking at it in a way that probably isn't what Sakurai intends with DLC. He's not promoting anything. He's adding fun and unique(and unexpected) characters independently of chosen Spirits. His team can just let him know what Spirits were done, and boom, rewrite a few lines, and you're good. That's literally how irrelevant Spirits are to the Fighter's Pass. Especially when Fighter Spirits are separate from equipable ones. So it would just happen again. Any DLC will be Fighter Spirits in this particular context. So they do not clash with any you can equip by design. So beyond writing a few lines, where's the issue?
By "promoting" I mean that (Edit: Just like Lucas and Mewtwo). Also, they've never changed existing content in the game, so what's to say they would now?

Smash is not about Nintendo characters anymore, according to Sakurai himself. Also, with all due respect, but I don't see what's so important about Rex and the Octolings, more so with the latter since the Inklings themselves are already a good representation for Splatoon. There's just a lot more third-party characters with fame and impact to think of when compared to a bunch of recent Nintendo characters (which is probably why I didn't like 4's base roster that much).
Expanding a scope past Nintendo doesn't mean that it has to be about 3rd parties. After all, there were more Nintendo characters in Base Game than 3rd parties. As for those characters not being too impactful, we've got most of the top Nintendo icons after Brawl, so it's hard to find characters on that level. More impactful 3rd parties in the Gaming community are less likely to be considered important to Nintendo's fanbase. Plus, too many recent or old characters by comparison will alienate fans of the other (Edit: I never said it had to JUST be guys like Rex and Octoling). (Also, since Splatoon's one of Nintendo's biggest modern franchises, I don't think it's OK for Splatoon to be stuck with 1 rep while FE can get away with SEVEN).

This is somewhat off-topic tho, so can we please not argue further about stuff like 3rd vs 1st parties and Old Vs Recent, unless it pertains to the likelihood of Sprits deconfirming?

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
I agree with ya, Nintendo replied to the fans that complained about Isaac and Waluigi (and even Geno) not getting in as fighters, so this means that we may be getting them in as DLC fighters that will be a part of wave/season 2.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While the Spirits mode was chosen before DLC fighters, is there any evidence the the Spirits themselves were?
Fair point. I cannot confirm that. It's more "logical", considering he chose all of them slowly near the end of the cycle, with the final set of DLC being decided during... I think November? Or did it happen later on? I forget when the last tweet was. Might've been in November or after the game was released. If I remember right, the game "went gold" in October or something. The DLC was decided fully after the game was entirely finished. So technically speaking the spirits were chosen before all the DLC characters were. That much is confirmed.

By "promoting" I mean that . Also, they've never changed existing content in the game, so what's to say they would now?
I mean, isn't that what patches are? I don't think this really works as an argument because we can't say they would or wouldn't. I was just saying it's not a hard task to set forth.

But yeah, promoting in this case often gives off what you didn't mean. It means, in context, to take something and turn it into another. That wasn't the idea behind Lucas and Mewtwo. Hence the confusion of what you really meant.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Expanding a scope past Nintendo doesn't mean that it has to be about 3rd parties. After all, there were more Nintendo characters in Base Game than 3rd parties. As for those characters not being too impactful, we've got most of the top Nintendo icons after Brawl, so it's hard to find characters on that level. More impactful 3rd parties in the Gaming community are less likely to be considered important to Nintendo's fanbase. Plus, too many recent or old characters by comparison will alienate fans of the other (Edit: I never said it had to JUST be guys like Rex and Octoling). (Also, since Splatoon's one of Nintendo's biggest modern franchises, I don't think it's OK for Splatoon to be stuck with 1 rep while FE can get away with SEVEN).
I was gonna answer to this, but then:
This is somewhat off-topic tho, so can we please not argue further about stuff like 3rd vs 1st parties and Old Vs Recent, unless it pertains to the likelihood of Sprits deconfirming?
And well, if you want to involve Spirits deconfirming, there's the fact that the overall library of guest characters is just much wider than the one for first-party guys. There's just a lot more variety with them, having both classic and recent characters to choose from, not to mention that there's a lot more liberties to choose stages and (especially) songs to go with.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
hahah sure man.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
And unlike assist tophies which for the most part are at the very least near-deconfirmations, there's nothing that legitimately points to spirits meaning there can't be a fighter of one. It's not like seeing a character on the stage, so there's no conflict, and the arguments about what was said (like with reggie) are so very bad, I find it uncomfortable even just to talk more on this, so for my own intents, I plan on not posting anymore in this thread.
And what legitimately points towards ATs being ‘near-disconfirmations’?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And what legitimately points towards ATs being ‘near-disconfirmations’?
..:bobomb:
Well they're not full-on deconfirmations since they never said it can'tt happen. It's just assist trophies are character models and much more beyond that, that they bothered to develop, and they show up on the stage where fighters are. It's technically not impossible to change all that if they really wanted to, it's just really unlikely.
I'll let someone else handle anything else. Like I said, i dont enjoy this topic.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Fair point. I cannot confirm that. It's more "logical", considering he chose all of them slowly near the end of the cycle, with the final set of DLC being decided during... I think November? Or did it happen later on? I forget when the last tweet was. Might've been in November or after the game was released. If I remember right, the game "went gold" in October or something. The DLC was decided fully after the game was entirely finished. So technically speaking the spirits were chosen before all the DLC characters were. That much is confirmed.

I mean, isn't that what patches are? I don't think this really works as an argument because we can't say they would or wouldn't. I was just saying it's not a hard task to set forth.

But yeah, promoting in this case often gives off what you didn't mean. It means, in context, to take something and turn it into another. That wasn't the idea behind Lucas and Mewtwo. Hence the confusion of what you really meant.
By promoting I meant raising the character's highest role (IE Waluigi being an AT despite having a Spirit). I just was responding to too many posts at once to notice me missing a sentence. Sorry about that.

Regarding the patches part, the precedent has been only 3 things: either Balancing Fighters in the game, fixing bugs and glitches, or adding content for purchase from the eShop. They haven't made changes to anything else from what I recall. Mewtwo and Lucas didn't have their original Trophies changed (reminder of them being the exception and not the rule), so who's to say they're gonna to do it now?

Also, for the legal rights, they probably had to take an extra month or so to sort out legal issues with Atlus and the other companies involved.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Dude, how many times have you made a thread circling around this theory? It's not even certain at that, with only one character in the season pass revealed so far.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Why are they unlikely then? Just curious for the examples or reasoning.
They're unlikely because there's only four characters left to be revealed. So the given chances of any character who's already a spirit out of the thousands of spirits in the game are pretty slim. It's 1300 spirits trying to cram into a four-character hole. So purely statistically speaking, a character who's already a spirit has a slim chance.

I agree with ya, Nintendo replied to the fans that complained about Isaac and Waluigi (and even Geno) not getting in as fighters, so this means that we may be getting them in as DLC fighters that will be a part of wave/season 2.
Not a chance. Spirits are one thing, but Assist Trophies are definitely a hard deconfirm. If you're an AT already you're boned.

If they do a second wave of DLC I hope it's themed around either villains or first-party underdogs (Mach Rider, Lip, Funky Kong, F-Type, etc.)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They're unlikely because there's only four characters left to be revealed. So the given chances of any character who's already a spirit out of the thousands of spirits in the game are pretty slim. It's 1300 spirits trying to cram into a four-character hole.
Ah, I see what you mean.

Dude, how many times have you made a thread circling around this theory? It's not even certain at that, with only one character in the season pass revealed so far.
Huh. Well, I looked into it and there's 4 topics, including this one. So now that it's reported, it'll be easier to get one solid topic on this and leave it at that. Though I will say this topic has a good opening post, at least.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You've already made a topic similar to this. As pointed out there are two other threads that do the same which will be getting locked as well. Since your original thread is the oldest of all of these, it shall be the one that remains open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom