• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why should I main Ice Climbers

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
I don't have much experience with PM and I'm currently using Roy and I really like playing IC's in melee. I hear they don't have wobble or infinite chain grabs anymore. I'm really interested and what they do have and a pros and cons list of the IC's in melee. Plus techniques would be nice.

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
pros and cons are pretty much the same as brawl and melee, they have desynches and techs from both games tho making them pretty diverse

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
I just wrote a guide for desyncs: http://smashboards.com/threads/desyncing-in-the-pm-wip.417157/
still working on it, but theres a lot of good info, if i do say so myself.

If you've played melee, before you play them in friendlies I'd recommend going into training and getting uses to your range on influence on Nana, its much bigger. So there may be times that Nana seems to die for no reason, more often than not its because players dont realize that she is in Popo's range

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
I just wrote a guide for desyncs: http://smashboards.com/threads/desyncing-in-the-pm-wip.417157/
still working on it, but theres a lot of good info, if i do say so myself.

If you've played melee, before you play them in friendlies I'd recommend going into training and getting uses to your range on influence on Nana, its much bigger. So there may be times that Nana seems to die for no reason, more often than not its because players dont realize that she is in Popo's range
I know the melee desyncs I've been working on them in melee it's just I need to know about grab chains and stuff

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
Well you still have everything from melee, down-throw dair, ledge handoffs and stuff. Some new stuff to try out is down-throw side b, or into footstool with Nana(you footstool with taunt, and they can be teched. Sometimes you can regrab them, but if they miss you can jab-reset, or tech chase)

also there are some new desyncs, and not all of Melee's desyncs work(this is the part of the guide I'm working on double and triple checking which ones work).

I also you should check out the top ICs to really see them put in work, Phresh, Sharkz, Hylian, Fumbles(hard to find anything recent) you also check the community combo thread to see other names that I may have forgotten or that I dont know. The ICs are still very underdeveloped in this meta, more and more people are picking them up and more importantly more and more are getting good. Everyone that plays this character, as far as I'm concerned, has something you can pick up and use.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
Afaik Phresh thinks ICs is a great character, but strangely not good for solo maining. They have horrendous MUs against Peach and Tink for example. Don't let this discourage you from using them tho, it's just something to keep in mind.

jaclac

Smash Rookie
i just started playing pm, and i don't understand why ice climbers are so low on tier list, some one explain to me please? that would be greatly appreciated. :]

eideeiit

Smash Ace
What tier list? PM's meta is still unstable.

Anyhow, as to reason most people may think they're bad:
Lack of exposure
Hard to play
Loss of infinites
Lots of bad MUs. This is probably the most legit one. I believe Phresh kind of strangely thinks of ICs as one of the best characters in the game but still not solo-main viable.

ilysm

sleepy
I think the problem with gauging their bad MUs is that even in a good MU it looks like the Icies need to work super hard. Even in Melee the Icies technically lose to most characters played in tournaments. Imo top eight they solidly beat Sheik, go even with Falcon and maybe Falco, and lose to everyone else. But Wobbles and Chu and Fly and Nintendude do just fine. They aren't really made or broken by their matchups, at least in my opinion.

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
I think the problem with gauging their bad MUs is that even in a good MU it looks like the Icies need to work super hard. Even in Melee the Icies technically lose to most characters played in tournaments. Imo top eight they solidly beat Sheik, go even with Falcon and maybe Falco, and lose to everyone else. But Wobbles and Chu and Fly and Nintendude do just fine. They aren't really made or broken by their matchups, at least in my opinion.
Melee's a whole different beast, mostly because their only awful MU's are Peach, and to a lesser extent Samus (Fox and Falcon and a few others are bad, but not as bad as those floaties.)
At the same time, involving the top 8 Melee chars, they beat Shiek, Marth/Falco/Jiggs is even, and they lose to everyone else.

Getting back on target, IC's are fun to play- take a ton of work to be good, especially if you're mixed between both PM and Melee, their biggest advantage is no one plays them, but the largest disadvantage (other than no infinities rofl) is the sheer amount of losing matchups they have. They aren't viable to solo main because they legit lose really hard to 1/3rd of the cast. Though because so few people play them, those matchups haven't been as explored and people for the most part don't know them that well.

Top Bottom