• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Olimar will be top tier!

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hey everyone I made this video to give some brief thoughts on why I believe Olimar will be top tier in Ultimate. I'm happy to discuss any further points about him that you may have though!

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Not a bad video, nice to see buddy revert back to his brawl days of being potential top 3
Could you perhaps give me some tips on playing Olimar in ultimate? I wanna start maining the guy like I did for a while in smash 4 but I never quite found that I was very good at him..

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Uhh what exactly are you looking for with him? I find the best way to improve is to just play a lot with him so he becomes more 2nd nature to control.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I believe I am trying to find the best way to optimize side b and use the latched pikmin to my advantage

As well at the best times to go in and use grabs as opposed to staying back and turtling

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Well between all those points that encompasses most of Olimar lol. Best pieces for advice are obviously playing him more, watching videos of other Olimar players/guide videos and just trying to discuss MUs after you play them to get a better idea. There's not really a one size fits all model for him so it varies on matchup a lot. If you'd like I could DM you the Olimar discord which would make it a bit easier to chat with others about certain MUs and help.

FanGoH

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0717-4583-9400
I am going to watch the video, i am interested in playing seriously as Olimar, personally i think that is mostly a Tilt and Smash character. I like him a lot, however i know i can still improve on him

B1ackBearD

Smash Rookie
The game is out now and ive been using olimar, I dont believe he will be top tier. What annoys me about playing olimar is that his moves gets canceled out by a lot of other characters move-sets which annoys me. I feel like hes lacking in certain areas.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
The game is out now and ive been using olimar, I dont believe he will be top tier. What annoys me about playing olimar is that his moves gets canceled out by a lot of other characters move-sets which annoys me. I feel like hes lacking in certain areas.
Are you relying too much on smashes? They're the only ones in Olimar's kit that clank with any attack. Aerials are disjointed in Ultimate and should be okay to use more liberally.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
What Blue Banana said. His Smashes clank yes, but with other grounded moves the opponent suffers a ton of lag from the clank while you don't. I'd recommend being more mobile and mixing up aerials, tilts, smashes, and side-b more. He's quite strong in this game from my time playing him.

B1ackBearD

Smash Rookie
What Blue Banana said. His Smashes clank yes, but with other grounded moves the opponent suffers a ton of lag from the clank while you don't. I'd recommend being more mobile and mixing up aerials, tilts, smashes, and side-b more. He's quite strong in this game from my time playing him.
Are you relying too much on smashes? They're the only ones in Olimar's kit that clank with any attack. Aerials are disjointed in Ultimate and should be okay to use more liberally.
do you guys use tilt stick or smash stick? Ive been told to go tilt stick by most players.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Smash stick for me, I think it's amazing for Olimar since you do use smashes often. Learning to tilt with your regular stick isn't hard with practice.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Olimar felt really weird at first compared to before. I guess that’s everyone though.

The fact he can reliably smash while retreating has made option coverage so much better. His up smash recovers much faster, too.

The grab changes trip me up a bit. Sometimes it’s just better to have one or two Pikmin just to cut down on the recovery frames.

Olimar is still a nightmare for projectile users and anyone using proximity activated moves like Falcon’s Raptor Boost it Pit’s Upperdash Arm. Those moves accept Pikmin as targets just as they accept other characters.

Down tilt has been needed a bit, since it can’t combo nearly as well as before.

The damage that Pikmin toss can generate is amazing. No doubt he can rack up the damage with the best of them.

All in all, I do think he’s better. Top tier seems like a small stretch, though. He still suffers from a harsh disadvantage state and it’s made worse by the lack of dodges this time around. He has a great neutral and option coverage, but once he is in disadvantage he’s in trouble.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Being in disadvantage is part of his character and I'd argue he has a better disadvantage state in this game than Smash 4. Keep in mind Fox is also bad in disadvantage and in Smash 4 was top tier. Whistle is amazing for getting through attacks, up-b is still a great way to maneuver around people, our aerials can actually trade/beat out other attacks now as well. We don't need more than one air dodge either especially considering we can move with it.

Top Bottom