• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Marth?

Hughie

Smash Lad
What is it about Marth that says "Hey Marth is actually kinda alright"

So why do you play Marth?

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Dat Tipper ;3
Marth is just fun to use...knowing you have the tools to beat anyone if you're good enough :)

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Marth is just awesome. Even in Brawl, a game I do not play, I respect solid Marth play.

Hyal

Smash Cadet
He's the kind of character with a solid metagame in which you actually need to make an effort in learning.

And he's pretty, what else do you need?

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Marth gives me a lot of nostalgia. I have the anime on VHS (the English dub in which he's called "Mars" for some reason) and played the Super Famicom game when I was younger.
He does have a level of class not a lot of other characters have.
Also I just fair a lot w/e.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
He's called Mars because the original fire emblem took many a homage from greco-latin culture and folklore, Mars is the God of the War in Roman paganism. Yes, you main the god of war.

Tselel (5805)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chris_Tselel
I started with Marth way back in the day when my friend and I were still playing through his copy of Melee (I didn't have one at the time). We were trucking along, taking turns at 1 Player mode when out of nowhere I see the "Challenger Approaching" que. Then a swordsman with speed, elegance, and just the right dash of cockiness begins to fight.
I learned him the best I could in the early years, switched to Roy because he was the even newer kid on the block, then switched back for that charm that Roy just didn't quite have.
It was only over the past year or so that I discovered the Smash community and the true limits you could push Marth. It's kind of like having that childhood friend that you meet after years of separation, and they've grown to be an even better pal than before.
So to shorten that. Nostalgia for times long gone and to prove how much I've grown as a player since.

Russy

Russydorf of Cincy
Because of the overall elegance of his playstyle, if you know what you're doing, you can dance around your opponent while racking up damage, and finish off with a perfectly spaced tipper fsmash

Jackson

Smash Lord
One of the things that makes him so appealing to me, is that, in my opinion, all of his moves are viable. All of his aerials are solid, he has some good tilts, especially Dtilt, and his smashes are overall pretty nice. Not to mention the incredible dancing blade and his powerful Dolphin Slash out of shield. He has numerous tools to take on foes.

JNewton

Smash Rookie
Awesome cyan costume and tippers. I like the fighting style of Marth.

Ah, and footstool spike.

Sazen

Smash Rookie
I picked Marth because when I was deciding on a character to main (just found about the competitive scene) I saw some matches of Mikeneko at Apex. Of course I was blown away by basically everything, but somehow the style Mikeneko used to play Marth just made me real interested in him. I started looking for more info on him and eventually discovered the flashy Europeans Marths, Mr R and Leon (and sure Leon is Canadian now, sort of) and found it interesting how differently all of these players played Marth.

Overall the playstyle of Marth seemed to be quite elegant, about precision, pretty versatile on top of which you could actually do some nice combos (Mr R's combo video the Messiah was amazing to see at the time and still just blows me away every single time I rewatch it). So I liked the playstyle, and decided to give Marth a go. I wanted to play like the best Marfs out there. Thus I wanted to beat people but at the same time play in a way I would find personally find entertaining to watch.

So these days I have mained Marth for like a year, and the more I've learned about him the more I've felt like patting myself on the back for making a good choice. He is fast, he has speed and range in his moves, all the moves he has (besides the useless Bthrow) are viable moves and make it possible to be creative, go for some fun mix-ups. He has the tools to beat anyone in the game, but at the same time he requires precision and finesse. You need to play smart, choose the correct option and at the time same time keep your spacing good. And if you manage to play smart, you will be rewarded greatly in the form of ever so sweet to land Fsmash tipper and generally being pretty safe. And since Marth does not have any BS (MK's Dsmash, UpB, Tornado, auto frametraps more or less impossible to gimp, ICs chaingrab, Diddy's bananas, Olimar and his camping and stupid Usmash, Snake and his ridiculous weight and tilts and Falco and his lasers) so you generally need to simply outplay your opponent not being able to rely on stuff like that. This can be seen on Marth's MU chart as well with him not destroying that many characters.

Maybe I am biased with my ever so high opinion of Marth being a nub and all, (yeah gets juggled superhard, easily edgehogged/gimped, not best on the ledge, RCO lag yay) but that's why I play Marth anyhow. :b:

tl;dr Mars la Marf is awesome :colorful: :marth:

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
If you take away the speed from melee, I think Marth becomes an interesting character because you can see everything happen in slow motion and that's good to get your spacing down. Also I can't stand any other character if we're talking high in the tier list, all the other characters I use are bottom for sure and I enjoy actually having a chance against meta knight

Last edited:
Top Bottom