• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Jigglypuff?

Chakram_soldier

Smash Cadet
I used to be Lucario_User. Then i made this acount
I was looking over the cast of Brawl, and understood why most were there. But Jigglypuff has me stumped. Pokemon Trainer has the first three starters in different evelutions, who are pretty well known. Pikachu is the most famous, and Lucario had his own movie and pwns hard with a good moveset. But why Jigglypuff?

Some of the moves are streches if you ask me. Rest is supposed to heal, not kill with little bubbles! And pound. That is one of the most BASIC moves along with tackle. I understand Rollout and Sing, but even the Final Smash was a stretch if you ask me. Jigglypufff doesn't even have as much screentime as some other worthy candidates.

Arbok was Jessie's main Pokemon the first and second generations. Weezing flies, so he's out the window. So Arbok could have been there instead of Jigglypuff, even in the first game. Seviper could have been a better playable character than Arbok! But Jigglypuff? Jiggs barly even gets any screentime. Cacnea has more screentime than Jigglypuff! I understand that Jiggs was one of THE Twelve original, but why was she?

Arbok

Half of his body slithers on the ground while the other stay up right. Dashes by slithering on the ground with whole body.

Taunts
Up: Looks at the screen and hisses
Side: Snaps his teeth shut with a thud
Down: Coils up and flicks out his tounge

Jump: 3/5
Power: 2/5
Speed: 4/5
Weight: 5/10

Standard B: Poison Sting: Think Shiek's needle throw but from Arbok's mouth

Side B: Wrap: Charges forward. If he hits, he wraps around the enemy and starts sqeezing.

Down B: Dig: Digs through thin platforms. If it's thick, he can travel through it.

Up B: Tail Whip: Lashes tail up as a punch or a tether recovery.

Final Smash: Poison Fang: Think Ultimate Chimera's bite but downgraded.

Arbok would have made a good Pokemon rep along with other first generarations. Why Jigglypuff? I apologize if I offended anyone, but I'm curious.

Raz92

Smash Rookie
along time ago, when i actually watched pokemon, jigglypuff was in the show alot. it had alot of screentime back then. now i dont even think its in it anymore, but it was back then and now its a recurring character

it used to sing, put people to sleep, and then draw on there face... it deserves a spot after that!

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
Not to mention Arbok was unattainable in the Blue version of the game, so, not really very symbolic of the generation.

Raz92

Smash Rookie
did arbok ever put people to sleep by singing and then draw on there faces?!
i think not!

and also, if you think about it, there werent ANY evil people in the first super smash bros

arbok=evil
possible!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Didn't Jigglypuff make its last appearance in the Pokemon episode involving a Whismur? Been awhile since I've seen that season.

Chakram_soldier

Smash Cadet
I used to be Lucario_User. Then i made this acount
did arbok ever put people to sleep by singing and then draw on there faces?!
i think not!

and also, if you think about it, there werent ANY evil people in the first super smash bros

arbok=evil
possible!
Did Jigglypuff ever show any real fighting potential? I think not!

And it showed in an episode that Arbok and Wheezing are good but their masters are bad.

"We good, but masters bad."

It's the episode where they are seperated because of a Garydos rampage in the first generation.

Arbok=Good

EarthBound08

Smash Apprentice
Did Jigglypuff ever show any real fighting potential? I think not!

And it showed in an episode that Arbok and Wheezing are good but their masters are bad.

"We good, but masters bad."

It's the episode where they are seperated because of a Garydos rampage in the first generation.

Arbok=Good
I seem to remember an episode of Pokemon where Jigglypuff beat the crap out of Clefairy.
Just sayin'.

And Arbok would be horrible! O_O Jigglypuff is in, she will NOT be taken out, deal with it.

EB08

Mada90

Smash Apprentice
Because back then when 64 came out Jigglypuff was the most popular pokemon in japan except pikachu,and because they needed an easy 12th,and made him starting from kirby.
Then he simply kept returning,so deal with it.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
What had me stumped was why Jiggs wasn't unlocked after I beat classic mode for the first time.

In fact, Jiggs was the LAST character I unlocked.

SO STUMPING! o.o

Heavenly Spoon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeavenlySpoon
Wait, since when are the smash games supposed to be based on some silly anime?

In RBY, Jiggly was one of the few Pokémon to get an overworld sprite, singing people (or your pikachu) to sleep in the Pewter City pokémon center. And even now, she has an overworld sprite in the DP games, which means something.

Also, Jiggly is there as the female character for the Pokémon series, Arbok just doesn't seem feminine enough to me. Jiggly, on the other hand, is pink, has a pretty big female fan-base and is one of the few Pokémon almost everyone knows (together with Pika and charizard, and whaddya know, they are both in the game). She's also one of the few pokémon able to wear the female trainer cap without looking ridiculous. That and the fact that she's just pure awesomeness in the form of a pink balloon.

I dare you to find a more popular and known Pokémon which is usually assumed to be female.
And be honest now, do you actually think Arbok could even come close to fitting in, or at least more than jiggly? I think not.

Starizzle

Smash Apprentice
fwi, jigglypuff happens to be a strong character, it just so happens that more ppl like u suck with jigglypuff more than ppl suck with other characters. everyone has a diffrent play style- and its just that not as many ppl's play styles fitted jigglypuff.

and second, jigglypuff was popular back when smash bros 64 came out. she was one of my favorite pokemon :3

and obviously u havent seen the older show or played the older games cus arbok would be 10x better than seviper

also back in the 1rst season of pokemon, jigglypuff showed up alot in the show

Livetopwn247

Smash Rookie
To be honest, I don't even like Jiggs very much, but she has something about her that makes her a worthwhile addition. As one of the most well-known Poke'mon out there (she's even in the shape of a poke'ball, nevermind voltorb), and from the first generation, she sort of needs to keep coming back. After being in the original and Melee, there's no way she could have been taken out. Lucario is the first playable Poke'mon fighter not from the first generation, and then it would seem like he replaced Jigglypuff, which would look very much like **** (don't even bother refuting that...).

I do think she could have received a better final smash, like putting everyone asleep (for a much longer time than Peach's) and pressing b near one of them would draw on their face and then knock them back like a rest from Melee. But whatever...growing really huge is pretty much like a super-taunt anyway. :psycho:

pirkid

Smash Lord
Because back then when 64 came out Jigglypuff was the most popular pokemon in japan except pikachu,and because they needed an easy 12th,and made him starting from kirby.
Exactly. Yes, the Pokemon roster should not have been decided on the anime, but it's extremly popular in Japan, the makers can't let that go.

Aptera

Smash Cadet
Why Jiggly? Because Jiggly = Sillyness. Sillyness on a grand scale. Watch some Puff videos (Puff stuff). A good example is King's Dair combo. look up "Smash Dair" in youtube and you'll see it. The dair combo Kills at 40%. Jiggly is the embodyment of sillyness and secretly being OP(overpowered). and if you know someone who is good with jigglypuff, you know after playing that person you want to stab your self with your controller.

FlareAlchemist

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff is the second most popular pokemon in Japan.
Also, Jiggly is there as the female character for the Pokémon series, Arbok just doesn't seem feminine enough to me. Jiggly, on the other hand, is pink, has a pretty big female fan-base and is one of the few Pokémon almost everyone knows (together with Pika and charizard, and whaddya know, they are both in the game). She's also one of the few pokémon able to wear the female trainer cap without looking ridiculous. That and the fact that she's just pure awesomeness in the form of a pink balloon.
in the past when smash 64 was released, jiggs was very popular
and second, jigglypuff was popular back when smash bros 64 came out. she was one of my favorite pokemon :3
It's been said. It has nothing to do with fighting potential (although that was adapted well). It was more about pleasing the fans.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Sakurai likes pink balls. . . .

(Points aint his creation. . . )

Jpuff was sighted to be canned for melee. . . Mew2 was sighted to be in SSB64. . . I have no idea why they brang her back NOWand canned Mew2 but w/e. . .

Entropy

Smash Cadet
I am confused too.

I don't care what anyone says... Jigglypuff is NOT welcome in Smash Bros.

Could've put any other pokemon in or Midna on Wolf Link or kept Mewtwo in...

Raz92

Smash Rookie
I am confused too.

so far every single character in the first game has continued on, and there are a whole lot of jigglypuff fans... no way is it leaving now

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Jigglypuff is NOT welcome in Smash Bros? Her appearances in 64 and Melee disagree with you. I'm glad Sakurai decided to keep Jigglypuff for the long haul, and if there's ever another Smash I'll never doubt her not making it in. The event matches say it all. You can't get rid of the original 12. They have perfect attendance. And you know what? I really believe Jigglypuff was a must in the cast, for how ridiculous she is. I'll admit, I never used her in 64 and Melee because I just plain sucked with her and I couldn't imagine becoming good with her. Now that Pichu's been removed, I've looked to her as another secondary, and she's just as silly as Pichu was. A light character with some unexpectedly powerful moves in Rest and Rollout. I don't really care what you say, but being able to own people online with a balloon that kills people by going to sleep itself is nothing but pure brilliance.

Long live the Puff!

TheMoonman

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff is just one of the better-known pokemon. She was apparently really popular in Japan, too.

Yeah, she may not deserve a spot NOW, but she's been around since Smash 64. If they cut her now, in the series's most epic iteration, it'd be nothing short of betrayal.

You just can't have Smash without Jiggs.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
What non-sense; am I seriously reading posts of people wondering why Jigglypuff is in Brawl instead of Arbok?

Arbok?

I mean, really now.

...Arbok?

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
I think it's because jigglypuff has been in smash bros since the n64.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
I dont play jiggly puf but when i see jiggly puff players I scream out hell yeah and hope to god they own! Nothing better then seeing a group of people owned by the pink ballon pokemon. Shes awesome and I thought smash was based around the idea of notsalgia? Jiggly=popular. They wont get rid of her and I believe the creator loves her. I dont play her but I'd be pissed to see her go.

Also um nidoqueen my fav, first and only representive to the fem sex. Holla =P ,<--dork

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I mean, if I were to make a list of Pokemon that ought to be in Smash Bros., Arbok wouldn't be in the top 100.

poorboy93

Smash Cadet
I play Jiggly because I love the character, and WOP just kills against most characters with no multi jumps

Starizzle

Smash Apprentice
I am confused too.

its really obvious that u dont have a nintendo 64....

Top Bottom