• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why It's Almost Impossible To Ban Fighting Game Characters

impossibleban.jpg

Stumblebee makes waves in their newest video by discussing common top tiers and why it's so hard to ban them. This 14 minute run-down includes analysis and history behind Street Fighter: 3rd Strike, Soul Calibur IV, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Super Smash Bros. Wii U. The video goes over reasons including top-tier oppression and community organization, and cites Culture in Digital Fighting Games - Performance and Practice and David Serlin's "What Should Be Banned?"

Viewers interested can watch their video below here,

Author's Note: What do you think? Are there any characters you think should be banned? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

D
If you ask me, banning characters is silly. Unless a character obviously overpowers the rest of the cast (:metaknight:), they should be fair game in tournaments.

At least two tournaments banned Hero, and unless it's because of the language barrier, it's uncalled for and just reeks of character generalization.

D
barrier, it's uncalled for and just reeks of character generalization.
Boo goddamn hoo.
If they think it is beneficial they have a right to do so. You don't like it, stop watching tournaments because many other things go in the same pile(tier lists)

Last edited by a moderator:
D
Boo goddamn hoo.
If they think it is beneficial they have a right to do so. You don't like it, stop watching tournaments because many other things go in the same pile(tier lists)
Yeah because god forbid someone disagree and have their reasons for doing so that they state respectively. Seriously dude. Lose the attitude. Nobody likes a jerk.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ask me, banning characters is silly. Unless a character obviously overpowers the rest of the cast (:metaknight:), they should be fair game in tournaments.

At least two tournaments banned Hero, and unless it's because of the language barrier, it's uncalled for and just reeks of character generalization.
A big reason why Hero is banned is not because he is to OP, it is because of his down-B and the random critical hits, people said it was to much RNG and that it makes him to anticompetitive and I know that Luigi with his side-B, Peach/Daisy with turnips and Game & Watch with the hammer also have RNG but they are not as anticompetitive as Hero.

I stand by the idea now that Hero should be banned, I know it upsets fans of the character but his rng is just absurd and the amount of power he can attain from nothing but sheer luck is just blatantly unfair, the character should be banned from serious tournament play. Just my opinion on the matter I know people will disagree tho

I think Hero should remain unbanned. The RNG is purely luck-based, and it's not like there aren't characters who do well against Hero like Joker. It's not like Hero gets a crit every single time he uses a Smash Attack, or that Down B is guaranteed to give you Magic Burst.

Top Bottom