• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is your main your main?

GreatKnightEcho

Smash Rookie
:ultkingdedede:Kirby's Return to Dreamland was the first game I remember 100%-ing, and I've been biased towards Kirby characters since Brawl. Plus Dedede is the king of memes.
:ultrobinf:Awakening was my first FE game and also my favorite. As for why female, Red Robin is best Robin.
:ultkirby:Moar Kirby bias.
:ultmetaknight:See Kirby.
:ultjigglypuff:So fun to just wreck people with Rest. Also MOAR MULTI-JUMP BIAS
:ultpiranha:#Plantgang
:ultrob: An absolute weirdo of a character. And I love him so much.
:ultgnw: See R.O.B.
:ultwario: See R.O.B. Also more memes.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
:ultzelda:
I tried to main :ultivysaur: for those sweet, sweet budblasts but between the tricky recovery and having two other characters stapled to him it wasn't that fun, so I thought back to my brawl days to figure out who else I was decent with back then and Zelda was one of them, so I took her for a few spins and found that, hey I could at least get a kill with her, maybe even 2 if I play well. So I've decided to stick with her. (It helps that she's adorable in this game)

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
Puff. I didn't main her in previous iterations just because she was so bad, but I've always gravitated toward her because there's something innately satisfying about bodying all these intimidating looking characters like Bowser, Ganon, Samus, etc. with a feminine looking pink blob. Emasculation is kinda like, my jam. That and well, she just feels right. Everyone else feels so unnatural to me.

Khao

Smash Lord
I don't quite have a solidified main yet, still changing characters every match. But I'm heavily leaning towards Roy.

I mained Smash in WiiU/3DS because I loved his moveset, and the spacing-focused playstyle that rewards you with early kills for hitting opponents precisely. In this game, though, the tippers are a bit too hard to do for my liking, and with the mechanics that push for a more aggressive game plan, going all out into your opponent's face just feels right. I also liked Roy on WiiU/3DS, but I feel like he just shines in this game. Chaining aerials together to get people offstage is ridiculously satisfying, and his up+B has so many freaking uses.

Felancius

Smash Cadet
Depends on the game, but if we're talking Ultimate, then I'm literally tied with 3 of them, those being :ultpalutena:, :ultdoc:, and :ultyounglink:. I like their playstyles and I can't really consider them alts, as I use them the most evenly (I alt seven other characters on occasion). If I HAD to pick just one, it's looking though maybe Palutena, as that's who I'd feel most comfortable going into a tournament with.

Vierge

#1******
Switch FC
3850 4617 0606
:ultpeach: has great specials + aerials and she's virgin royalty which is so unusual in a fighting game ;)

:ultcloud: because his neutral is very hard to beat and I really liked FFVII

:ultbayonetta1: crazy hot witch who slays occult predators and still has the heart to protect the innocent. I would die to be a witch like her.

Kiddip

Smash Rookie
It has to be :ultrob: for me because I find him really versatile and his moveset is awesome.
His gyros are insanely good in my opinion because they can be used in most situations.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
:ultpit: - Because I've loved Kid Icarus since I was a kid, and wanted a new KI game since the SNES games, and I wanted Pit since Melee. I'm not the rest of the sheeple, I loved this character way before Brawl. Honestly, if I had to choose between a future SSB or just another Kid Icarus game, I'M PICKING KID ICARUS.
:ultwolf: - Wolves are my favorite animal.
:ultlucario: - Lucario is my favorite Pokemon.
:ultgreninja: - Greninja is one of my favorite Pokemon, and I've loved ninja since I was f'n four, man.
:ultfox: - Foxes are my second favorite animal, and it turns out the fox is my spirit animal. Plus, I like Star Fox.
:ultdarksamus: - Dark Samus is legit cool, and reminds me of Venom somehow. Also, I like how a mutated Metroid further mutated into Dark Samus.
:ultyounglink: - I've always wanted to play a LoZ character, and I've never liked any of them from 64 to Smash 4. YL clicked for me in Ultimate. He really reminds me of Brawl's Pit, which is what did it for me.
:ultsimon: - IDK, they went with his classic barbarian look, and I like barbarians. So just his aesthetics...
:ultkirby: - Kirby is my absolute favorite video game character. And my other spirit animal.
Huh...I may finally force myself to play :ultcloud: since FF7 (and Skyrim) is my favorite GoaT and I might as well play the guy from my favorite GoaT.

With only a few exceptions, I unintentionally gravitate towards characters with projectiles and counters/reflectors. All of my characters are lightweight or midweights.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I've yet to fully settle on a final main for this game, but right now, I'm leaning heavily towards :ultrob:. I may not have some epic origin story for my main going back hundreds of years like some of the folks here - I tried to main :ultmewtwo: for a while since him and I go way back to the Melee days, but for some reason, I just wasn't feeling him in this game like I was in Smash 4. Sentimentality aside, I'm not going to force something to work for me if it just doesn't; I have to feel comfortable really going in deep with a character to consider them my main, and for me, R.O.B. embodies that feeling in a way no other character really does. He's just so versatile; I can play him pretty much however I want and switch up my playstyle on the fly, and I love that kind of freedom in a character. Plus, I played him a lot in Smash 4 before settling on Mewtwo, so I was already respectably good with him to begin with.
So yeah, I pretty much main R.O.B. for no real reason other than that he's my best character. I do own a R.O.B. IRL, though, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't adore his design. :grin:

Last edited:

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
:ultolimar:- Really love the Pikmin games and he's a solid character.(Yes it's partially a tier thing.)
:ultdoc:- I really like playing characters that my family loves, and the only video game my Mother has ever shown significant interest in was Doctor Mario. So I've been playing Doc since Melee for that reason. I just wish he wasn't buns so I could use him in Tourney lol.
:ultrosalina:- This one's a little sentimental, As I said I like playing characters my family likes. Rosalina was my Brother Derek's favorite video game character ever. He passed away in 2015. So, since then I've been trying to get good at this character. Which has admittingly been a little bit of a struggle but I'll keep at that.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Kirby, because Adeleine is still not in the game and Kirby is the closest thing to her.
Add Adeleine and I'll forget about Kirby in a matter of seconds.

I mained Young Link for a while too back in Melee, and that's because I love Majora's Mask.
I switched to regular Link occasionally (even in Smash 4 for a while).

Recently I have tried to main Villager because of his gameplay, summon stuff and control the stage; That's in order to get a feel of how Adeleine would play, since she would be that type of character as well.

I have tried to main other characters from time to time... Cpt Falcon for the memes, Mewtwo because he's cool, Sonic because I like Sonic games, Olimar for the gimmick, and someone else I can't remember, but I have dropped them very quickly.

:ultdarksamus: - I always choose to be an antagonist, with doppelgangers being my preferred choice, in all video games I play as it allows me to express my dark side without suffering real life consequences. I chose DS as my antagonist of choice before I even got the game, not even knowing how it would play since I had not played a Smash game since 64. I also have never played Metroid Prime series either. I liked DS being a doppelganger so I stuck with it. I've thought about switching mains but I've just invested too much time into DS that I will always main it.

Jotun873

Smash Cadet
I main bowser now.

Used to main ganon starting at brawl. I was super hyped for all of the dorf buffs played a bit and soon found out many people were playing him already.

The thing is i like playing underrepresented characters and i love me a heavy hitter. My friend and i were chatting when he mentioned how he didnt like bowser in this game. I took a look at him and already loved his superarmor so i messed around for a while. It didnt take long for me to enjoy bowser and play him better than my ganon too.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
:ultdarkpit:

I don't own the game, I only play it with friends or my cousin, but:

1. really gradual learning curve. Nothing like Bowser Jr. or Duck Hunt, though they would've been really fun, they'd force me to buy the game. They need extensive lab time.
  2. The Marios and The Pits are essentially blank canvases. People call them "boring" but I see them as "Miis" in that you can play however you want with them.
  3. the simple learning curve and answer to any situation allows me to flex my fundamental skills.
  4. I like the pits' normals better than the marios.
  5. I like Dark Pits palettes
Though, I hate his association with "edgeyness" so I may drop him and pick up doc mario. I don't like Pit as a character.

D

Deleted member

>:ultsamus:, :ultdarksamus: and :ultridley: are the characters from one of my four favourite franchises who work great with my playstyle. I find them great and fun to play as while showing my love for Metroid.

>:ultkrool: was outside of Bowser or Eggman the first videogame villain I knew about thanks to a rerun of the DKC cartoon and Jungle Climber. He has a space in my heart and having him in Smash means a lot for me. It is great to see that I play great as him, and I never lost a match with him. I just hope that he gets to appear outside of Smash in many of the games coming after Ultimate.

Routa

Smash Lord
:ultganondorf: is a slow and powerful character
I like slow and powerful characters
I like killing at 30%
I don't mind dying at 30%
He has a big nose
I have a big nose

But most importantly he feels really good to play. And after all game feel is the most important thing.

TheGlumPanda

Smash Rookie
Piranha Plant has been really fun. That's the closest I have to a main in ultimate, as I just picked it up a few weeks ago. Ness was my boi in smash4, and that came from a very pretentious and expected love for Earthbound that I developed when I was 10. It also feels great to stun lock people with PK fire and follow with a heaping side smash. Falco in melee was just fun. I rep him purely for the entertainment of playing him. There's just nothing like a perfectly executed spike. Really, I just like characters that are fun to play, and a bit dickish at times.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
:ultlucas: is my main this time around as I find him the most fun to play. Originally, I was going to try to main :ultisabelle: because I like her character but Lucas' moveset is much more satisfying for me.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
:ultlucas:is my main because of his story arc in Mother 3. He was known as the sensitive crybaby throughout his hometown and nobody took him seriously or thought he could manage anything on his own. But after the events of Chapter 3, Lucas decides that he wants to get stronger, not just to take out the main antagonists, but to also be mentally strong. I really resonated with that.

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
:ultpikachu: Is my current Smash Ultimate main, Pika was my secondary in WiiU and after I tried him in Ultimate I immediately knew he was the character for me.

Klimax

Smash Ace
:ultkrool:: He's the main of my heart but probably not the character that I'm the best with. He's basically my favorite villain, I wanted him since I first saw his trophy in Melee. He's the character that I play the most.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'd also like to add that while it's probably not why I mained him in the first place, part of the reason I love playing ROB is that his attacks feel - and sound - really satisfying to land

Bandanna_Dee_For_Smash

Smash Rookie
:ultridley: I'm a huge fan of Metroid while loving heavy rush down characters. He's easy to play at a simple level but harder to play advanced. That's why he's my main and will always be my main.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
:ultmegaman: - The Titular Protagonist of the third entry which I played as a kid back in my grandmother's house. Part of the reason is nostalgia, but the other part is that I was always partial to robots and Sci-Fi stuff in general, and his power-copying is such a cool idea. He's basically Kirby and Samus rolled in one.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I have no main because so far nobody clicked with me to the point where I’d play them more than anybody else.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
:ultrob: since robots are cool, it turned out I was decent at him after trying him a bit in Smash 4, and I like the idea of maining a less popular (not necessarily low tier, just less popular) character. (I main Chibi-Robo in SSF2 for similar reasons.)

I haven’t really played enough Ultimate to have much in the way of secondaries, though.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
:ultpeach:
......because Im gay. Literally. Its not a joke. I played as Peach during Melee when I was like 11 years old and it always just stuck with me through Brawl, Smash 4, and now in Ultimate. :)

This image rings true to my childhood, as well as many other gays.

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
:ultjoker: - I love Persona 5 so much and I absolutely lost my mind when Joker was announced so I felt compelled to play him and I've enjoyed every minute with him. I also love the aesthetic of puppet/Stand characters that have a second being tied to their kit even if Joker isn't a true puppet character.

:ultfalco:/:ultwolf: - I loved Wolf in Brawl and I'm glad he's back, and I've really enjoyed Falco's combos in this Smash

:ultdarksamus: - I've always liked Samus, now i can stan goth Samus

:ultchrom: - I'm just glad he's here after getting snubbed in 4

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
:ultyoshi: - Because when I was very young and Smash 64 first came out the only Nintendo characters I knew were Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Bowser, DK, Wario, Diddy, Pikachu and the other 151 Pokemon.
A friend chose Pikachu, another mained Mario, they hadn't unlocked Luigi or Puff at this point and the rest of the Mario cast didn't arrive until Melee and Brawl(sans Toad who was, and still is, my favourite Nintendo character). As a result it was a toss up between DK and Yoshi, and Yoshi was just cuter.

...and then I mained him forever more. At least until Smash 10 when Nintendo finally give me a goddamn break and finally let me play as Toad.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
:ultinklingboy:
Despite never playing Splatoon, I chose this blue boy for my Mario Kart 8 Deluxe main because I liked his design. It was only logical that this would carry over into Smash...

Top Bottom