• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is your main your main?

ToonTwink101

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1520-2582-6239
If you couldn't tell already, I main And I've been maining him for over a decade. :0 Few people are as attached to their mains as I am, but I like hearing stories about why people chose who they chose.

Edit: My brother was on my account for some reason and made this post :p I don't main any of these guys, but I'm still interested in the question.

Last edited:

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
:ultness: always and forever. I still have my EarthBound cartridge, strategy guide and the box they came in (still with the big Wal*Mart sticker on the front lol). I was actually going to buy Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening for GB, but I saw that EarthBound was cheaper AND it came with a strategy guide! (For the record, I did end up buying LoZ:LA later, which was also excellent). It was the first video game that I would think about day and night the whole time I was playing. It was so quirky and different from anything that I had played before and coming from a small town really resonated with my middle-school-aged self.

When Smash Bros. was announced in Nintendo Power magazine with Ness as part of the roster, I was beside myself. The rest is history.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I picked up :ultzss: because I was getting sick of Brawl's CPUs stunlocking me and I wanted to give them a taste of their own medicine. Turns out, the character was really fun to play as, and I've stuck with her ever since (except in Project M because those moveset adjustments made the character feel unplayable, especially with what they did to her Down-B seriously wtf PM?).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
:ultchrom:
Chrom's my favorite video game character. The fact that he's so fun to play is just a bonus. :p

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
:ultpikachu: Because Mario wasn't cutting it with me this time around. Pikachu just feels better to me and I enjoy pulling of combos even if they don't do as much as other characters.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
:ultness:: His kit just clicks really well with me — PK Fire and PK Thunder for zoning, the bat, back air, and PK Thunder 2 for big hits, speedy tilts, awesome aerials, and deadly throws. Oh, yeah, and his Final Smash dumps hot death all over the stage.

Ness has been my main in every single Smash game.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
:ultness: Ness was my main since Melee. I picked him because I thought he was cool and he immediately felt right in my hands. I hadn’t even played Earthbound at the time (of course I played it after). I just love how many kill options he has, how creative he can get, his aerials, his grab game, his double jump, psi magnet, pk thunder, I could go on. No other character in the game plays quite like him, not even Lucas, and I love that. He’s a rushdown aggro character with zoning options or he can play defensively (I think he’s better off playing aggro because his defense is very lacking compared to his offense). His advantage states are insane and I never feel out of a game because I know I can rack up 60% in a couple combos and hit a PKT2 real quick and I’m right back in the game. People are scared of him and I’ve had people straight up jump off the stage three times in quick play or jump off the stage twice after I took a stock real quick. I love this character so much

He continued to be my main in this game because he feels even better than Brawl (didn’t play Smash 4), I’m really damn good with him, and he’s a viable character in this meta. Ultimate did nothing but improve Ness

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Ken/Ryu have always fascinated me with how different they play in Smash.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
:ultkrool:
Childhood bias and I wanted him in since the Melee days.
Just seeing him on the results screen makes me grinn tremendously

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Because this:
Why people like Ike.jpg
:ultike:
Gameplay wise, other swordsmen slice with their swords in some sort of graceful dance.
Ike smashes you with the full force of the blade and his body. One swing. You're gone.
He's essentially Guts.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Well I don't have exactly one favorite but for those who I like using the most are...

:ultdiddy: I've been hooked on playing Dkc games around the time Brawl was coming out and I wanted to see how he plays, ever since then I was addicted to using him throughout the series.

:ultjigglypuff: I always thought she was a funny character in the cartoon series of Pokemon and I see a quite a few people like to underestimate how dangerous she is so I enjoy showing what she can do best.

:ultvillagerf: Though I wasn't too attached to Animal Crossing up until New Leaf, I like the cartoon like designs and I thought it would be funny to use someone like her to slaughter my opponents.

:ultisabelle: Similar case like Villager though I wasn't expecting her to be a more variant of the same fighting style which I'm truly grateful for plus she has brought some nice heartwarming moments in my life.

:ultwendy: Was part of the group since I felt she fits in with my theme of choices, though I have some struggling moments with the move set I do enjoy how it reminds me of Robotnik.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
:ultlink: Because I feel he has a answer for many opponents. With melee chars i struggle too much against long range sword chars or projectiles. Link has projectiles , acceptable close range and solid kill options. Also the Bomb is a tool you can be very creative with.

I also like :ultdarksamus: but i feel like link will be more fun in the long run.

D

Deleted member

I main every Metroid rep because I love the franchise.

I also main K.Rool because he was my first videogame villain outside of Bowser and Eggman.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:ultwario:

I love both the Wario Land and WarioWare series and Wario himself is so fun since his air game and waft are incredibly good.

Nagol

Smash Cadet
NNID
NagolNLR
3DS FC
1693-3794-6353
:ultlucina: Have to thank Ken for being so dominant in Melee with Marth, he inspired me to pick up the character early on. Really love playing an aggressive sword style and Lucina favors that more so then Marth since any hit is a good hit with Lucina.

D

Deleted member

:ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultbayonetta1:
  • Well...they are sexy and beautiful and will always be my girls no matter what.
  • I have amiibo on each of them.
  • At least for the former three, their learning curves are pretty high. I want this because seeing advanced tech and execution inspired me. Also, in Mario Party and Mario Kart, they are my favorites to play.
  • As for :ultbayonetta1:, besides reason number one above, seeing her kick ass in Smash 4 with those oppressive ladder combos and the like caught my attention. Yes, she has been butchered nastily for Ultimate, but I do not give a damn. I never turn my back on my girls, no matter what nerfs plague them.

Sayonara :kirby:

D

Deleted member

:ultlucas:,:ultshulk:,:ultrobin:/:ultrobinf:,:ultvillager:,:ultrichter:,:ultsnake:,:ultcloud:, and :ultfalcon: are the characters I am good at. But consistently :ultlucas: has always been my best character in every smash game. So yeah, only reason I skill. If it was listed by favorites it would be :ultryu:,:ultvillager:,:ultisabelle:, :ultlink:,:ultluigi:, and :ultsonic:.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
:ultduckhunt: is a character I've had an attachment to for a long time. even before he got in Smash, I stuck up for the guy through all the parody flash games about shooting him and "top 10 most annoying Nintendo characters" articles. I can't remember exactly why I wanted him in Smash at the time (I was about 9 so I had no nostalgic attachment), but I was very devoted, he was my second most wanted behind Bubsy. (don't ask) I never thought it'd really happen, and it felt like an obscure pipe dream, I had even made a Duck Hunt Dog Mii (based on that weird Brawl mod where he's constantly laughing). then the leak came out. I had come back from a holiday, can't remember where, and I believe it went pretty crappy, but when I saw the leak of "Duck Hunt" in Smash, alongside the return of my Melee main Dr. Mario, my face lit up, especially with the cuter depiction of the dog that I could've never imagined with all the "troll" depictions of the dog being in my mind, but I tried to stay objective and not jump to "the dream is real"... until Shulk was revealed and the render matched up. I knew it "DUCK HUNT DOG CONFIRMED!" I shouted as Shulk was revealed, and then once the game came out in Japan, I looked for every piece of Duck Hunt footage on YT, constantly watching his FS and victory poses on loop. to this day, I am grateful for DH's inclusion and I continue to play him.

D

Deleted member

647DECA4-7002-4F7D-A5A1-F7227D8262E1.gif

This man is my main.
Smash 4?
He was fun, powerful, and could score a few shield breaks per play.
Ultimate?
Fast, strong, rewarding, up tilt, fabulous hair.
I love Ganondorf.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:ultkingdedede: is my primary S tier main. Not many people know the matchup, he can really annoy your opponent, he's hilarious, he's perfect, and he can get super cheesy kills.

SNinjaStudios

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1881-9214-4032
:ultkirby: I've had an attachment to Kirby since I was a little kid booting up Brawl for the first time; something about his simplistic yet lovable design and his ability to eat people made me want to play him again and again even back then. As I got older and started playing both Project M and Smash 4, I decided that Kirby would always be one of my secondaries, no matter how bad he was from a competitive standpoint, as I was already fond of his moveset at the time and later got into the Kirby series itself through Amazing Mirror and Return to Dream Land. Since my other main (Luigi) isn't clicking with me this time around, I figured that I might as well stick with Kirby for Ultimate; there are only a few characters that I've consistently enjoyed playing throughout Smash's history, and Kirby is definitely one of them.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
And laugh all the while.
View attachment 188417
Relevant video.

I've mained Samus since the release of Super Smash Bros. 64. Metroid wasn't made for the N64, so this was the only way I could play as Samus. I stuck with Samus to this day because I'm just that much of a Metroid fan. The day Samus is no longer a playable character in SSB is the day I stop playing as her.

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
I main :ultmario: because I feel like he's a good character to learn the game for me. His attacks not having that much range help me learn to space myself correctly, his back air being a good and safe approach tool taught me instant RAR and at the same time, he is not bad, has a great combo game and some satisfying kill moves.
I feel that he is just an easy pick to understand the different mechanics of the game.

Senator Phillips

Smash Cadet
:ultsimon::ultrichter::ultridley: Between the Belmonts and Ridley, I have what I like, it doesn't hurt that the Ridley and Castlevania reveals were my motivation to buy a Switch, but gameplay wise, they mesh with me well. I like using zoners in about any fighter I pick up, so the Belmonts are natural for me there. Ridley just feels right to me in that I feel like his mobility and his set of attacks make playing as him feel very much in-character if that makes sense, which makes him a great counter balance to the style I employ with the Belmonts.

Last edited:

ccllr

Smash Cadet
:mario64: - I like Mario
:drmario: - I like Mario
:mario2: - I like Mario
:falco: - I like birbs
:ultdarksamus: - I find myself in a tough time where my OCD and my crippling depression are starting to mess with my daily life, so I looked for a character that could ressemble the way I feel about my inner self both visually and conceptually. Also I've always played characters that don't require quick movements or a fast button mashing because I've always been a casual player that only plays for fun, so Dark Samus was a good match for it. Further mention, I enjoy the Metroid saga albeit I'm more of a Mario person.

Last edited:

KovuDaktari

Smash Rookie
Snake is my main because in Brawl I felt he had an awkward and unconventional moveset. I thought he'd be bad at first but I ended up getting the hang of him and loving him. So of course, I decided to keep him in Ultimate.

#BringBackSnakesBrawlDsmash

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Snake is my main because in Brawl I felt he had an awkward and unconventional moveset. I thought he'd be bad at first but I ended up getting the hang of him and loving him. So of course, I decided to keep him in Ultimate.

#BringBackSnakesBrawlDsmash
I didn’t mention in this thread (there's another, similar one), but Snake is another of my mains. I like him for similar reasons to why I like Ness — he has a guided projectile (and Snake's is cancelable), his forward smash is super-powerful (albeit slow), and his tilts are really fast and hit really hard for how fast they are. Unlike Ness, his aerials are a little clunky (though Snake's air mobility is a bigger hindrance to his aerial game than his actual aerial attacks), and Snake doesn’t have a trapping/damage-racking tool like Ness's PK Fire. What he does have are timed and manually-detonated explosives for stage control (I miss the proximity explosives he also had in Brawl), as well as an anti-air projectile in the form of his up smash. While I have a tendency to be a bit aggressive, I like having solid projectiles and traps to fall back on if I feel the need to play it safe and focus on surviving (which is quite often, as I'm not terribly comfortable with risky plays). So Snake is another character who’s right up my alley.

The full list of characters who I consider my mains is Ness, K. Rool, Lucario, Snake, Jigglypuff, and Pac-Man. My secondaries are Mega Man, Simon/Richter, Incineroar, Mii Gunner, Mii Brawler, and Mii Swordfighter. I pocket Palutena, Ridley, Bowser Jr., and R.O.B., and the rest of the characters are characters I don’t play as particularly often.

D

Deleted member

:ultness: always and forever. I still have my EarthBound cartridge, strategy guide and the box they came in (still with the big Wal*Mart sticker on the front lol). I was actually going to buy Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening for GB, but I saw that EarthBound was cheaper AND it came with a strategy guide! (For the record, I did end up buying LoZ:LA later, which was also excellent). It was the first video game that I would think about day and night the whole time I was playing. It was so quirky and different from anything that I had played before and coming from a small town really resonated with my middle-school-aged self.

When Smash Bros. was announced in Nintendo Power magazine with Ness as part of the roster, I was beside myself. The rest is history.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Ness is my main because Earthbound is very important to me. It's the first RPG I ever played, it's one of the only ones I played completely blind, and it's one of my favorite video games to this day

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Link/ Young Link because it's the first RPG I've ever played. Link's Awakening for GBA specifically. Best series of all time imo.

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
:ultridley:- Metroid is one of my favorite franchises but Samus play style just never clicked with me. Ridley and K. Rool were characters I supported for a long time so I knew when the game came out that I was going to pick up one of the two, I imagined it was going to be K. Rool but once I got my hands on Ridley and put in work with him I knew I had found my new main. He's a good mix of being heavy while also having great mobility and a lot of options available for different situations. A lot of his attacks just feel so satisfying to connect as well with the emphasis on brutality but special mention to the skewer.

:ultdk:- I'm a big DKC fan and the leader of the bunch holds a special place to me. DK has been my go to throughout the franchise so far, I thought of taking K. Rool on as a secondary instead this outing, but starting up the game with the original 8 and making it through the majority of World of Light with him, I wasn't ready to cycle out the character, he's still the guy I'll fall back on as a secondary if need be.

---

Others
:ultmorton::ultbowser::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede:- The guys I'll bust out if I'm playing more casually trying to mix it up and have fun.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
:ultdaisy: because beautiful and perky. Well, fan of her in general. She's also technical and I want to eventually master her.

She's not my best yet though, it'll take a while before I can use her properly. I'm used to a different style.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
:ultbowser: Favorite character across all media and an important part of me growing up, as cheesy as that sounds, so I'm very loyal to the king.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
:ultkrool:My avatar is self-explanatory. Crocodiles are my favorite animals. What more is to be said?

Last edited:
Top Bottom