• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is your main underrated?

11volt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MasterHector
3DS FC
3308-4758-8536
Switch FC
SW-6893-8714-9974
Simple as that. Just say why you think your main is underrated. Be as serious or silly as you want.

My current main (It changes all the damn time) :4feroy: is underrated because he is rarely seen in majors placing highly, and I think he has enough tools to do so.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
:4pacman:, :4tlink:, and :4miigun: just need people to learn how to use the projectiles to maximum potential. :4falco: and :4drmario: need people to learn the various combos and kill setups they're capable of.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Simple as that. Just say why you think your main is underrated. Be as serious or silly as you want.

My current main (It changes all the damn time) :4feroy: is underrated because he is rarely seen in majors placing highly, and I think he has enough tools to do so.
He was overhyped to beyond belief when he was released, but it's your opinion.
I think shulk was overrated at first, but then his frame data got exposed and now nobody thinks he is good for only that reason. He has alot of potential

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dedede quite frankly isn't underrated at all, he's a pretty bad character and I'm not gonna defend that. I still love the guy and have a blast playing him, but it is what it is.

Wario, though? He's so awesome, I really wish others paid more attention to him. Great air mobility, one of the best command grabs in the game, very good aerials at his disposal and the absolutely fantastic stock destroyer that's Wario Waft. Oh man that move is such a godsend.

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
Ooh an opportunity to rant about my mains and spam emotes everywhere! I'll take it~ :smash:
(I've never used that emote before and it looks cool so I'll use it :3)

:4peach: Peachy! ❤❤:
  • Relatively underrated, mostly seen as a mid-tier character :crying:
  • Small amount of tournament representation, with lloD, Pink Fresh, Umeki... :upsidedown:
  • So fun, but complex with float-techniques and turnips setups and whatnot~ :roll:
:4zelda: Zelderps! ✨✨:
  • Slightly underrated, as she really belongs in low-tier --- not bottom-tier, tho! :c
  • Used to have Nairo... but he has moved on... :cry:
  • Defensive in nature but has potential for lots of flashy and stylish kills~ ;)
:4zss: Heels Suit Samus! ⌁:
  • Not underrated whatsoever~ high-tier through and through! :p
  • Nairo, Choco, Marss, lots of players! :estatic:
  • Uber-fast, you should probably look at Nairo's matches to get a good idea of her~ :b:

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
:gw::gawmelee::4gaw: I FRICKIN LOVE G&W ! Spam da fried fish and ham and edge guarders go GABLAAAM.

but I never see much praise or love for this guy I dunno if it's a color thing or a dimensional thing but he's fun and fast and combo-able and I love to gamble with "judge" it's comparable a no scope when you pull an epic 9 in the right set up.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
:4link:has a pretty bad reputation thanks to For Glory. Majority of people assume you just spam and swing your sword randomly but honestly there's much more to it than that.

Link requires you to use all of his arsenal to play him effectively. It takes a lot of patience and overall creativity with mind games to really reach his full potential which a lot of people can't do.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
:4yoshi: Yoshi. Oh man, Yoshi. You're so good for being a mid-tier (I think that's what the majority thinks?). Excellent frame data, ability to go after shields hard with neutral b, an overall aggressive playstyle, and not too many bad MUs. And yet, he's hardly played. I'm probably missing something here, I mean Yoshi's not perfect. But he's got a plethora of tools to work with against good characters like Rosalina.

So then I guess my only hope is more great matches by newcomer, "The Wall". Fantastic Yoshi! I want him a candidate for at least one of the best Yoshis in the world. Otherwise, I consider him underrated due to his low play at national level.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
People always complain about his low weight, and if they aren't complaining about that, they are complaining that his hitboxes are shonky and slow.

Once you start working past the timings and learn to hardread-punish, Mewtwo is devastating.

Plus, he refuses to clap when he loses, his UTaunt is an honest-to-god "Mwahahaha", and he will PUT YO' ASS TO SLEEP.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
:rosalina:Rosalina & Luma. Not underrated in the slightest. Best defensive character in the game and I think we'll see her techniques, especially with Luma, becoming more and more complex and efficient.

:4robinm:Robin. I think he is one of the most underrated characters for real. His speed and grab range are terribad and some match up are hell. But his aerials and projectile game are so good that I think his we are sleeping on this character too much. Oh, and he's a blast to use.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
People legit think :4mario: is gonna drop to Mid Tier after Ally got salty about him. Seriously.
Not even gonna talk about Lucina, I don't feel like writing a book.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The Pits are definitely underrated... Most of the smarter folk at least understand they're good at least, although not a lot of people use them. For whatever reason other people think he's a mid tier because "his frame data/recovery/combo game/landing ability/range is bad" when none of that's true in reality. They're jack-of-all-trades characters with no real weaknesses or flaws. They're even or better against the majority of the cast, and only three characters really give them trouble...

meowmere

Smash Cadet
:4link:has a pretty bad reputation thanks to For Glory. Majority of people assume you just spam and swing your sword randomly but honestly there's much more to it than that.
Link requires you to use all of his arsenal to play him effectively. It takes a lot of patience and overall creativity with mind games to really reach his full potential which a lot of people can't do.
Oh god, IMO Link is the most annoying character out there. First of all, like you said, so many people just spam with him. Even CPUs (which I usually play against because of my terrible Internet). But the most annoying part about Link is that he screams. A lot. All the time, actually. When you get caught in his smash attacks, you're trapped for like 3 seconds while this crazy psychopaths is yelling at you.
If there was one character that could be cut from the game for everyone, I'd pick Link most definitely. Btw, I'm sorry for the Link players that actually utilize each of his moves well, but there are very few of those.

To stay at the topic of the thread, I think Olimar is underrated. IMO that's mostly because of his steep learning curve. It takes time to truly master this character and ultimately to use every pikmin to their best. I wouldn't say he's top tier material like he used to be back in the Brawl days, but high tier for sure. The sad thing is, not many players are willing to become good with Olimar, for whatever reason. Maybe it's because he's one of the most bothersome characters to fight again.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
User was warned for this post
Oh god, IMO Link is the most annoying character out there. First of all, like you said, so many people just spam with him. Even CPUs (which I usually play against because of my terrible Internet). But the most annoying part about Link is that he screams. A lot. All the time, actually. When you get caught in his smash attacks, you're trapped for like 3 seconds while this crazy psychopaths is yelling at you.
If there was one character that could be cut from the game for everyone, I'd pick Link most definitely. Btw, I'm sorry for the Link players that actually utilize each of his moves well, but there are very few of those.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Mega Man requires a lot, and I mean a lot of time and dedication to get results with him. It also doesn't help that a lot of his strategies are counter-intuitive compared to other Smash Bros characters. Unlike characters like :4mario: :4fox: etc, Mega Man excels in spacing and distance control, which allows a more strategic play style, but not an outright defensive one. Movement is also key to Mega Man. I've seen so many people that stay in place with him, and make him look bad because of it. Short hops, frequent movement is crucial. Megs also doesn't have the strongest kill setups and has difficulty getting the kill sometimes, but he has good options, especially his B-air. People like ScAtt have proved that Mega Man can make it to a national level at MLG 2015, so Megs is nowhere near the low tier area. Right now, I'd say he's high mid tier at most. He could benefit from buffs, mainly so that his dash speed is a little faster, his damage output could be a little stronger, among various other changes. Mega Man is a great character, but not one many people use because of his complex and unorthodox strategies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Do I even need to talk about how Mewtwo is underrated? Once you get around his abysmal weight and kinda wonky hitboxes, he's a very decent character... and this is coming from somebody who used to relentlessly bash Smash 4's rendition of Mewtwo.
As for R.O.B., I'd say he's more underrepped than he is underrated. People seem to acknowledge him as a solid character, and some even consider him top 15 - not a notion I necessarily agree with, but it shows how much people are willing to respect the R.O.B., even if he doesn't have as many mains as the top tiers.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Dedede quite frankly isn't underrated at all, he's a pretty bad character and I'm not gonna defend that. I still love the guy and have a blast playing him, but it is what it is.

Wario, though? He's so awesome, I really wish others paid more attention to him. Great air mobility, one of the best command grabs in the game, very good aerials at his disposal and the absolutely fantastic stock destroyer that's Wario Waft. Oh man that move is such a godsend.
I really dont like Wario in smash

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
pika aint underrated... but my "fun" character is bow JR

hes really strong in the right hands, trust me... his b reversed down special is amazing for zoning, the koopamecha is a useful item aswel... he also has great spacing with fair, great power on all his smashes and well, his go kart is his best move, it can be used to achieve extra jumps, wont sit here explaining that, but BJ can lap FD underneath and is a beast at edge guarding

ftilt and utilt are amazing once you get used to them (specially utilt), his uair racks too much damage quickly and is great for combos... and up B is amazing for cheesy kills

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even with a high ranking, Rosalina just doesn't seem to get much attention when compared to most other characters.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
For :4lucina:... Um, yeah. I don't think I really need to bother explaining why.

For :4link:, there's nothing wrong with him I could think of that makes him flawed, so I think he's just underused at the moment.

:4feroy: is not one of my mains, but he's underrated. A lot of people thought he was overrated because of whatever they thought he was at his launch date. I personally think he's high tier material. Maybe not, but just by lack of results, I seen people starting to claim that apparently he's low or straight up bottom 10.

Okay. Maybe he's not high tier, but come on, he's not THAT bad. His potential is being undervalued (at least I think so), and he's definitely a big improvement compared to Melee.

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
The Koopalings are underrated because most people this generation just think Bowser Jr. is better than them. Bowser Jr. has a more prominent role in the Mario Universe now.

If we're speaking about all of them in general, they are underrated because they are wacky characters that not everyone connects with. They are good but their approaches get predictable and against certain characters, like Villigar, they are at a big disadvantage, at least in my experience.

Peach is underrated because she's floaty and not a very aggressive character. You really need to switch up your play style and try to be unpredictable with her because she dies easily, but at the same time I think she can be fun to play with.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Punch the next person that says Roy is lower than high tier because he clearly is high tier and any argument otherwise is just salt, paranoia, or flat out misinformation.

As for my actual main, well he's not underrated at all. In fact it's decisively known Pikachu is one of the best in the game and people either adore that fact or are mad salt about it.

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
My main is underrated because he's currently number 48 in tiers...

Sad face :4bowserjr:

But I don't care. I think I do fairly well with him and have gotten close to winning / actually won a couple Local Tourneys with him against Sheiks and Luigis and whatnot.

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
Shulk is underrated in the frame data department. Timing is key, really. Besides, even without timing, there's still his speed monado.

Cloud's recovery is also not abysmal like people think. He has wall jumps and the amazing limit break version of Climhazzard, which nullifies any of his recovery's problems.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Cloud's recovery is also not abysmal like people think. He has wall jumps and the amazing limit break version of Climhazzard, which nullifies any of his recovery's problems.
The main problem is just trying to conserve when to use the Limit Break boosts, since using any special move while in Limit Break mode forces you to have to rebuild the Limit gauge again.

GalaxyWing

Ascension
NNID
SkaiSong
3DS FC
5086-2324-1353
:4palutena: is severely underrated in my opinion. I've had so many people ask me why I main Palutena and then proceed to tell me she's an overall bad character. But I've yet to hear exactly what makes her a bad character lol. I've won so many matches, both competitive and casual with Palutena. I personally don't believe there's such thing as a "bad" character, it just seems alot of people don't know how to use her, which is why I consider her underrated.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
:4diddy: is underrated because ZeRo is the only player that does well with him and people disregard it because "Its ZeRo he's supposed to win." that mindset led many to believe that Diddy is at the bottom half of top 10 and even some people think he is top 15.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
:4zelda:
She probably is the queen of "Underrated-land" since Melee. Not without reasons: not only she is a low tier, but she can be hard to pick up. You can't spam projectiles, she does have lags after her moves, and she requires precision. Lots of precision.

But once you get used to her moveset, she can do amazing things, and I think people don't take enough time to try her.

:4robinm::4robinf:
I never see them online. And when I do, they only try to spam their projectiles, even when the tomes runs out. O think that Daraen's speed is what bother so many people. Also, For Glory doesn't seem to understand how good the Nair is.

Last edited:

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
:4palutena: is severely underrated in my opinion. I've had so many people ask me why I main Palutena and then proceed to tell me she's an overall bad character. But I've yet to hear exactly what makes her a bad character lol. I've won so many matches, both competitive and casual with Palutena. I personally don't believe there's such thing as a "bad" character, it just seems alot of people don't know how to use her, which is why I consider her underrated.
I am also on the same boat. It actually bothers me when I hear people refer to her as "low tier trash" when not only have I done this but I've seen other people go head to head with higher tier characters and still come out on top. Reasons why I think she's better than what people say about her.

Versatile play style- Her default specials set her up to defend against majority of play styles, meaning she's already a good character for counter picks. It's like a rock, paper, scissors game and she decides to be THAT guy and say he has a bomb. Projectile attacks? Reflect them. Close combat? Counter. Spacing/pressure auto-reticle, and warp is good for moving around the stage and very beneficial on stages like Battle Field where she can warp-cancel.

Great air game- Palutena was MADE for the air. If her ground game is all about defense, its the air where she can be on the offense. N-air is a great combo tool to use as it hits multiple times and surrounds her. F-air comes out quick, has range, and is a great get off me option. U-air is a phenominal kill move and most of the time lands from down air or a great ledge punish if the opponent decides to jump, and d-air ALWAYS spikes no matter where you hit them.

Side taunt- nuff said

up tilt- great for punishing approaches from the air. The hit box rises above her hurt box making it a safe option against air borne opponents, AND it can KO making it an even better safe option.

Now Pally isn't perfect by any means. There's some end lag on her more powerful attacks which I feel puts her more in the red than it helps with balance but her smash attacks are more so to be used as a punish tool than an offensive attack and I feel that's one thing that automatically make people not like her, to which I argue "You're going to hate on a character because you can't use her in a playstyle she was never intended for?" because that's like hating an apple just because it's not a peach. Can't exactly help that now can we?

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
:4palutena: is severely underrated in my opinion. I've had so many people ask me why I main Palutena and then proceed to tell me she's an overall bad character. But I've yet to hear exactly what makes her a bad character lol.
She's written horrendously.

Top Bottom