• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is swordsman so low tier?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Bad SH aerials, poor mobility, bad frame data, mediocre kill power, okay at best recover. The list goes on...

Moderate skill

Smash Apprentice
Mii SF has relatively high lag most of his moveset. I have a SF and Gunner made from the same mii, and the difference is striking- Gunner can easily combo off of throws and grenades for quite some time. Gunner's neutral-air, for example, is slightly weaker and shorter ranged but with much less cooldown. Contrary to what some say, SF does have some combos, but he struggles with KOing because of his strong but hard to use kill moves. An opponent can shield your attacks and is suddenly much less killable. (In a situation like that, throws to aerials can help but you still need a read) Swordfighter has lots of cool gimmicks (e.g. with down-air footstools or jab cancels) but really comes up short overall. If you like SF that shouldn't stop you, but do keep in mind that you'll generally have to outplay your opponent to win.

TLDR: 1. Select Mii Butterknife Fighter in Training Mode
2. Hold shield after smashing to see when you can act out of a smash's end lag
3. It's like an entire second
4. Cry

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I personally find it ridiculous that he's seen as a bad character.

You shouldn't be using his smash attacks that often, but his tilts are great and his upair and dair are among the best in the game.

And of course his backthrow can kill around the same time as Marths upthrow, so that's pretty cool.

Last edited:

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
Mii Sword is low tier through not really offering any singularly outstanding tools* to make people look to him for a niche use.

With that said, Mii Sword sort of falls into a weird jack-of-all-situations situation. Not necessarily outstanding in one aspect, but not really poor in other aspects. Unfortunately, the game isn't a vacuum, and Mii Sword has to compete with characters who are outstanding in areas where being mediocre in others is a bad thing.

Someone somewhere said it best when they said, "Mii Sword isn't a bad character, it's just that there are so many better ones available."

*This is untrue. Gale Strike all day every day.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Mii Sword is low tier through not really offering any singularly outstanding tools* to make people look to him for a niche use.

With that said, Mii Sword sort of falls into a weird jack-of-all-situations situation. Not necessarily outstanding in one aspect, but not really poor in other aspects. Unfortunately, the game isn't a vacuum, and Mii Sword has to compete with characters who are outstanding in areas where being mediocre in others is a bad thing.

Someone somewhere said it best when they said, "Mii Sword isn't a bad character, it's just that there are so many better ones available."

*This is untrue. Gale Strike all day every day.
I mean his upair and dair are outstanding~

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I still don't know how you make Dair work but ZarroTsu says it best.
Too bad we are discover our stupid niche now. DThrow -> Upair, Yolo Fsmash and EdgeHog Airborne Assault is the new meta.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I still don't know how you make Dair work but ZarroTsu says it best.
Too bad we are discover our stupid niche now. DThrow -> Upair, Yolo Fsmash and EdgeHog Airborne Assault is the new meta.
We also got the Dair of hell. I've killed many characters below 20% with that.

Even came close to killing a Meta Knight (while still making it back to the stage xD)

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
People aren't exploring him enough that's why, he has way better frame data than people think, but it depends on his size, since he can autocancel his nair, bair and even uair while shorthopping. He also has great setups for early percents thanks to his down throw, and decent camping game with chakrams and shurikens. He is very versatile, still probably somewhere between mid and low tier, but definitely not the worst in the game.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
People aren't exploring him enough that's why, he has way better frame data than people think, but it depends on his size, since he can autocancel his nair, bair and even uair while shorthopping. He also has great setups for early percents thanks to his down throw, and decent camping game with chakrams and shurikens. He is very versatile, still probably somewhere between mid and low tier, but definitely not the worst in the game.
Welcome to the Punfighter boards!
I see you have been labbing with the mii

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
you know our social is a delicious ammouts of buttery puns :3
And if he took a stick, roasted a marshmallow, and put it in between two graham crackers and a piece of chocolate, he'd be smorefighter, but that's a tangent for another day.

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
There are multitudes of reasons that people have given above. Personally, he's doable of you know what you're doing.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I think he's definitely mid tier. He has moves that come out fast, generally don't have a LOT of endlag (tilts and aerials come to mind), he hits SUPER hard, and has jank.

xD

Top Bottom