• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Smash's selection AND portrayal of Zelda characters so... weird?

Quillion

Smash Hero
We've had bias threads for Fire Emblem (like this), Kirby (like this), and Donkey Kong (like this). Let me try my hand at it too.

The way the Zelda franchise has been portrayed in Smash has been... a mixed bag to say the least. Stage selection is good, with several games like OoT, TP, SS, WW, and even ST all being represented while having Temple in place as a "general" Zelda stage. Assist Trophies include some of the most iconic characters in the series with Tingle, Midna, Ghirahim, and Skull Kid all taking turns. Music selection has always had a great mix of remixes and unaltered tracks. And Trophies and Spirits have fairly represented various games.

But the real meat and potatoes are the playable characters. And... they honestly aren't portrayed all too well. Let's break it down into the individual issues.
  • Three of the Zelda characters are Link. Four Marth echoes/semi-echoes is one thing, but having three characters based around one legacy-archetype? I know that the Links are technically different characters and all, and I would say that at least having multiple Links is a good idea. But seriously, why do they have to have slight variations on the same specialset and (mostly) normalset? We at least have the potential for "normals-only semi-echoes" where the Links share normalsets, but have distinct specialsets.
  • Ganondorf's moveset is derived from Captain Falcon. This is a twofold problem: Ganondorf isn't even related to Captain Falcon in any way other than vague body type similarities, and Ganondorf's preferred method of fighting has always been a bladed weapon mixed with magic. Yes, he uses hand-to-hand moves, but they only function as a mixup with his preferred fighting style, while Smash considers swords a mixup with his main brawling style.
  • Princess Zelda is... okay. She doesn't really fight at all in canon. But even then, since people are so adamant Ganondorf get his Dead Man's Volley, wouldn't it make more sense for Zelda to have the Light Arrow, aka the weapon that has become her signature in three games (WW, TP, ST) and a spinoff (Hyrule Warriors)?
  • Sheik continues to be an outlier in how Smash has treated Zelda one-shots. Sure, Midna and Skull Kid are merely assist material, but why is it that Sheik still sticks around with her made-up moveset? Speaking of one-shots...
...we get to another issue with the characters: there are no new Zelda characters since Brawl, and it seems to come down to the Smash team's desire to avoid adding any more one-shots. While this is understandable from the view that Zelda has a staple cast like say Mario or Kirby, Zelda is fairly close to Pokémon, Fire Emblem, or Xenoblade in how iconic main characters get shelved after one installment. Given how some of these shelved characters are Nintendo icons in their own right now, it seems like a waste to leave them as Assist Trophies at best, especially when the existing Zelda cast isn't even portrayed in the best way possible.

I'm not asking for Hyrule Warriors-level thoroughness when it comes to representing and selecting the characters, but in my opinion, the series' execution of such leaves a lot to be desired.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just play Hyrule Warriors if you want more comprehensive Zelda fanservice, man. Smash is more of a "greatest hits" collection where every character that gets in faces the risk of backlash, but a game wholly dedicated to bringing stuff together from one franchise can include everything and the kitchen sink without anyone thinking it's a waste or unusual.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I know someone else is going to give the literal explanation of why all this is the way it is:
  • Zelda and Sheik were included because Ocarina of Time's version of Zelda allowed for a cool "have one character transform into another character" gimmick,
  • Ganondorf was a last minute inclusion as a clone due to his physique resembling Captain Falcon's,
  • Young Link was included with the other Melee clones to help pad out the roster,
  • and Toon Link may have been a conscious update of the "kid version of Link" archetype since Wind Waker was a significant game in the series...
...but yeah, we've heard this a million times. When we ask questions like these, we're mostly being rhetorical to raise a point about how we wish Zelda characters in Smash were better handled. We don't want to hear the literal answer to this question.

It's so odd that Zelda representation in Smash has always been excellent in every aspect except playable characters, which is instead great for Link, Zelda, and Sheik (taking the latter two's timeframe circa Melee's release period coinciding with Ocarina of Time specifically in mind) but wonky for both kid Links and, as always, Ganondorf.

Concessions have been made to keep all these existing characters relevant and somewhat more canonical.
  • Adult Link has been changed in most games (OoT, TP, BotW) with an adjusted special (Gale Boomerang and currently the Remote Bomb Rune).
  • Zelda's design was updated to TP's then ALttP / ALBW and, in Smash 4, she and Sheik became completely separate characters once it became clear the initial reason for their inclusion (the character switching gimmick) wasn't working out because most players stuck to one or the other, with Zelda and Sheik gaining newer and better specials as a result.
  • Ganondorf got the barest of concessions, a new kick that was a mere mix up attack from the sword fight against Ganondorf in TP, and an adjusted side special where connecting the move now had him choke the opponent villainously. His design went from the Spaceworld 2000 tech demo to TP and finally back to the proper OoT one...only for Ganondorf to finally use his sword using a design where he never used swords in the first place. I know I was extra conflicted when I saw OoT Ganondorf using the Spaceworld 2000 tech demo sword back in E3 2018, and even though I enjoy it now, it also reminds me of what I wanted Ganondorf to be in the first place, which is an evil mage who can shoot energy and who only sometimes uses physical brute strength.
  • Young Link and Toon Link both came back, allowing every current Zelda character to better reflect the series' entire history, but I wish their specials were all a little more different, with maybe each of the 3 Links getting a unique special move that isn't an adjusted form of another Link's special move (their boomerangs are all rather similar, for one, especially since the Gale Boomerang is gone now). It goes without saying that the games Young and Toon Link hail from have more to offer than just Bow, Boomerang, Bomb, and Spin Attack.
I'll say my piece: I want Zelda to get, at least, two more characters. A very beloved one-off like Sheik was, and a more true-to-game Ganondorf.

The former can be fulfilled by any number of Zelda characters, and I admit it would be difficult to narrow it down, but I want at least ONE Zelda character I can play as that played a major role in a Zelda game, that wasn't directly a form of Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf. As for the latter, I find Ganondorf, as he is, very fun to play as, I always have. But he's never felt like the real deal. I propose that we either get behind the Wind Waker version of Ganondorf, who dual-wields katanas, or, my favorite, the beast Ganon we see in most 2D Zelda games. I'm particularly attached to the idea of how Ganon from A Link to the Past would play, with his trident, teleportation, fire bats, and dark magic, but we can take creative liberties with it as well.

As it stands, Zelda's playable roster is great, but it could use a few tweaks, and in Ganondorf's case another playable incarnation. For the latter, I think on some level Sakurai believes we don't really need more Zelda characters because we have all 3 wielders of the Triforce playable, but I still don't think Ganondorf feels right and he could at least rectify that in the future while also not touching the current Ganondorf, who's been changed as far as they possibly can without alienating his original play style's fanbase by this point.

That's just me though.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
The Zelda character pool is just a result of Smash history, not any conscious choice of who to represent. Though if they were all trashed and we got a pool of Zelda characters today, I would expect less rather than more. Maybe two Links, Ganondorf, and Zelda.

Tingle's iconic enough if either America didn't hate him, or Japan didn't think America hated him. Otherwise most all Zelda characters are just in one game and that's it.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Earthbound: Let's add Lucas & keep Ness too while they're at it.
Ice Climbers: Only 1 game that no one liked or remembered.
Fire Emblem: Literally all of them were one or two shots if we're not counting FE Warriors, Heroes, or DLC in mainline games.
Legend of Zelda: They can't have a bunch of one shots, that would be crazy!:rolleyes:

Hm, I'm seeing an inconsistency here.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think if there is going to be any additional Zelda characters, Sheik needs to go. You have the essential characters anyway, and I personally wouldn't care if it was Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Ghirahim would have been cool. I thought he was badass in Hyrule Warriors. I think another villain should be added, and I think a Yiga clan member would have been an interesting addition. Hell, even Sheik with a Yiga outfit would be cool. The real question, though, is this: Why doesn't Ganondorf have a Demise color palette?

I could make a Metroid thread like this.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Fire Emblem: Literally all of them were one or two shots if we're not counting FE Warriors, Heroes, or DLC in mainline games.
Legend of Zelda: They can't have a bunch of one shots, that would be crazy!:rolleyes:

Only because Fire Emblem and Zelda treat their characters differently. People constantly bring up Fire Emblem, but only out of a lack of understanding of how both franchises work.

Zelda having a bunch of one-shots would be more akin to Kirby having Marx, Dark Matter Blade, and Gooey playable instead of mainstays like Dedede and Meta Knight.

And I would be just fine with that.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Quillion Quillion
What do you mean by one-shots regarding Dark Matter and Gooey? Both are recurring characters, and the latter is made of Dark Matter. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, which is why I asked.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Ya know I was thinking of making a Wario thread like this, but I never got to making it.
Back to Zelda. Change one of Ganondorf's specials and he'll be completely declonified. My vote is for his warlock punch, make it a charging move where he fires a ball of light like his boss fight in Ocarina of Time. You can also change his down special to something else, a cape whip like what Mario does, it can reflect projectiles like his boss fight in Ocarina of Time.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Ya know I was thinking of making a Wario thread like this, but I never got to making it.
Back to Zelda. Change one of Ganondorf's specials and he'll be completely declonified. My vote is for his warlock punch, make it a charging move where he fires a ball of light like his boss fight in Ocarina of Time. You can also change his down special to something else, a cape whip like what Mario does, it can reflect projectiles like his boss fight in Ocarina of Time.
These two specials have long been thought of. Someone made a mod, although Ganondorf's grab was ridiculous.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Quillion Quillion
What do you mean by one-shots regarding Dark Matter and Gooey? Both are recurring characters, and the latter is made of Dark Matter. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, which is why I asked.
I'm referring to how Kirby has a lot of characters who just appear in one or two games then get shelved (Star Allies notwithstanding) in addition to a core recurring cast. Zelda is the same deal.

I'd say the main difference is that the Zelda one-shots have star power that their Kirby counterparts don't. Majora's Skull Kid has become an icon of the series, with Midna and Tetra being somewhat close runners up. Kirby's one/two-shots can only really represent their game and nothing more.

Roberk

Smash Champion

Those things aren’t equivalent though. The one-shots from LOZ that people ask for are side kicks and or villains, secondary characters. All of the Earthbound and Fire Emblem characters in Smash are protagonists of their own games.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Those things aren’t equivalent though. The one-shots from LOZ that people ask for are side kicks and or villains, secondary characters. All of the Earthbound and Fire Emblem characters in Smash are protagonists of their own games.
That's also a good point.

About the only recurring Zelda characters I can think of outside of the big three are Tingle and various incarnations of Impa. And, uh... I guess the Deku tree?

Quillion

Smash Hero
That's also a good point.

About the only recurring Zelda characters I can think of outside of the big three are Tingle and various incarnations of Impa. And, uh... I guess the Deku tree?
And Beedle, most recently.

The one-shot question isn't one that can easily be answered. The recurring characters aren't exactly major characters (yes, even Impa), and the major characters outside of Link, Zelda, and Ganon aren't recurring.

Moreover, I have to say that of all the franchises with playable characters, Zelda is the one most harmed by the series' "don't significantly change characters" policy. Zelda and Ganon were alright in Melee since their abilities weren't very established, but as time has passed and their abilities are developed, they just look glaringly outdated at best.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Malon has been in 4 games: OoT, Oracle of Seasons, 4 Swords Adventures, & Minish Cap. Plus her model being recycled for Romani & Creamia in MM.

Zelda and Ganon were alright in Melee since their abilities weren't very established, but as time has passed and their abilities are developed, they just look glaringly outdated at best.
Ganon could hover & shoot energy balls while in Melee he had the shortest jump & no projectiles. His abilities were established enough to be nonsensical even back then.

Last edited:

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
And Beedle, most recently.

The one-shot question isn't one that can easily be answered. The recurring characters aren't exactly major characters (yes, even Impa), and the major characters outside of Link, Zelda, and Ganon aren't recurring.

Moreover, I have to say that of all the franchises with playable characters, Zelda is the one most harmed by the series' "don't significantly change characters" policy. Zelda and Ganon were alright in Melee since their abilities weren't very established, but as time has passed and their abilities are developed, they just look glaringly outdated at best.
beedle for smash confirmed?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ganon could hover & shoot energy balls while in Melee he had the shortest jump & no projectiles. His abilities were established enough to be nonsensical even back then.
It could safely be skipped over the way Smash continues to skip the Coconut Gun or Barrel Throw on DK. But now Nintendo wants to push Ganondorf as a swordsman, which Smash only pays minor lipservice to.

D

Deleted member

Malon has been in 4 games: OoT, Oracle of Seasons, 4 Swords Adventures, & Minish Cap. Plus her model being recycled for Romani & Creamia in MM.
Oh man I want Malon so bad!!!! Could have a Marin alt or vice versa since Malon was based on her. Attacks using Cuccos and singing.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Malon wasn't even in Hyrule Warriors. :I
Her predecessor Marin is in, which made this LA fanboy happy. HW was surprisingly restrained in OoT characters. I could imagine potential weapons/movesets for Malon, Saria, Nabooru, & Twinrova in that game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Her predecessor Marin is in, which made this LA fanboy happy. HW was surprisingly restrained in OoT characters. I could imagine potential weapons/movesets for Malon, Saria, Nabooru, & Twinrova in that game.
Lana's Deku Stick weapon moveset would have been pretty perfect for Saria.
I guess yeah, they were probably trying to not get carried away with Ocarina of Time's representation compared to the rest of the Zelda series.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Lana's Deku Stick weapon moveset would have been pretty perfect for Saria.
I guess yeah, they were probably trying to not get carried away with Ocarina of Time's representation compared to the rest of the Zelda series.
I contend that :ultyounglink: and Skullkid screwed over Saria worse than Lana did as the Kokiri Sword and Fairy Ocarina were far more fitting weapons for her. Skullkid didn't even have the Fairy Oc in MM! And :ultyounglink: had a bizzare giant two handed version of the KS. It seems obvious that he was planned to have the Great Fairy Sword but then they changed it last minute. Saria wasn't just shafted, but in a very strange way.

Last edited:

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
Here's what I would do to even things out:

Replace Ganondorf's warlock punch with dead man's volley.

Give Zelda the light arrow in some capacity.

Make Skull Kid with Majora's Mask playable.

I also think one version of Link is just fine.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
And :ultyounglink: had a bizzare giant two handed version of the KS. It seems obvious that he was planned to have the Great Fairy Sword but then they changed it last minute.
It wasn't the Kokiri Sword at all in Hyrule Warriors, nor do I think there's any reason to believe it was ever going to be the Great Fairy Sword. It was just a vague adult-sized sword given to him because his range would have been unreasonably short with the Kokiri Sword.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Here's what I would do to even things out:

Replace Ganondorf's warlock punch with dead man's volley.

Give Zelda the light arrow in some capacity.

Make Skull Kid with Majora's Mask playable.

I also think one version of Link is just fine.
Personally, I think Ganondorf is fine following the old model of "heavies don't have projectiles". However, his Warlock Punch should have "weak" version that reflects projectiles. This gives him a canonical tool that doesn't damage his historical playstyle.

Zelda's Light Arrow should be her Neutral B. Nayru's Love should move to Down-B and Phantom Slash needs to go.

Skull Kid would be nice as representing all one-shots (Sheik notwithstanding). Unlike Midna, Skull Kid doesn't represent a period of mediocrity in the franchise, and unlike the Champions, Skull Kid is a compelling character.

I actually want multiple Links, but have their specials at least be different.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think Ganondorf is fine following the old model of "heavies don't have projectiles". However, his Warlock Punch should have "weak" version that reflects projectiles. This gives him a canonical tool that doesn't damage his historical playstyle.

Zelda's Light Arrow should be her Neutral B. Nayru's Love should move to Down-B and Phantom Slash needs to go.

Skull Kid would be nice as representing all one-shots (Sheik notwithstanding). Unlike Midna, Skull Kid doesn't represent a period of mediocrity in the franchise, and unlike the Champions, Skull Kid is a compelling character.

I actually want multiple Links, but have their specials at least be different.

I'm down with all of that.

D

Deleted member

Also did you ever think that Impa's Naginata could have been a good fit for Nabooru? We were sorely lacking a Gerudo in that game, besides Ganondorf of course.
It wasn't the Kokiri Sword at all in Hyrule Warriors, nor do I think there's any reason to believe it was ever going to be the Great Fairy Sword. It was just a vague adult-sized sword given to him because his range would have been unreasonably short with the Kokiri Sword.
Actually....it is the Kokiri Sword as seen in Majora's Mask, only super-sized for some unknown reason (but then again, Link's gauntlets, bombchu, and probably a bunch of other things were super-sized too, so...yeah). I interpret the redesigned Kokiri Sword as maybe being the same blade, but Link wanted to make a new, stronger hilt for it or something.

I love Midna and Quillion you take that jab back about Twilight Princess, but Skull Kid has technically appeared in THREE Zelda games so for a one-shot, that's actually pretty good. Like in Hyrule Warriors, he could also take a couple things from his appearance in TP, or even have that version as an alt costume which would be sick.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Also did you ever think that Impa's Naginata could have been a good fit for Nabooru? We were sorely lacking a Gerudo in that game, besides Ganondorf of course.
Nah, Nabooru gets an axe, which she had as a darknut. There's a curious lack of axe wielders in HW too.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Sheik is the weirdest element as she's the only one off we currently have, who got in by virtue of timing and remains today because she's a Smash staple
As a character though, it's difficult to determine how popular she is in her own series

In terms of representing the series, I think a few one-offs are okay as while they don't fully represent Zelda on their own, as a whole, they do. This doesn't mean that we have to have someone from every single game, but I think it'd be possible to represent all the major console titles since Alttp without going overboard

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Sheik is the weirdest element as she's the only one off we currently have, who got in by virtue of timing and remains today because she's a Smash staple
It's not really timing so much as it is the fact that she was a part of Zelda's moveset. Sheik wouldn't have happened as an independent character.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
:ultsheik: is still in Ultimate cause of the ''EVERYONE IS HERE!'' part but in all honesty i think the developers would rather get rid of Sheik cause shes just so bad as a character in this game that you get the feeling the developers just hate her lol

idc what everyone says but :ulttoonlink: is my fave link and if 1 Link had to go then :ultlink: can go..we all have a least favorite and mine is Link himself...not sorry! >:l just cause he is the main character doesn't mean he should be my all time favorite character of the franchise.
lets say that Sheik & Link do get removed (of course Link won't be removed but this is a ''what if'')

and 2 other characters could take their place from the Zelda franchise.. then i personally want Skull Kid & Vaati to get in
i do think it would be awesome to have a balance with villains and heroes.. then we have Zelda, Toon Link & Young Link + Ganondorf, Vaati & Skull kid :D

sooo i think everyone is happy with me not being a developer of the game..otherwise everyone would hate my guts! xD

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Malon would kind of be an odd pick, but they've had stranger fighters like DuckHunt and Wii Fit Trainer. So they could probably get her to work. I really think if they wanted another pick for Zelda they'd go with someone who has been in more games like Tingle or someone the majority has been asking for like Skull kid.

I always thought it'd be cool to see how they could do a 2D painting Link from Between Worlds. Of course everyone would be annoyed that it's four Links in the roster. Or maybe Painting Link as a assist trophy.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Skull Kid has technically appeared in THREE Zelda games
I don't know if Hyrule Warriors necessarily counts, but I actually hadn't considered the fact that he was in Ocarina as well, granted in a far more minor role. Far as I'm concerned that qualifies for my two game minimum. I'm down for Skull Kid.

Quillion

Smash Hero
His historical playstyle would not be damaged by replacing Warlock Punch completely.
It absolutely would be damaged, and I can assure you that more people will miss the Warlock Punch than welcome the Dead Man's Volley. People already miss Ganondorf's elbow and up-kick, could you imagine the outcry against losing one of the most iconic disrespect moves in the series? It would be better to give it a "weak version" so that it's entirely there, but has a far more practical purpose.

It's not really timing so much as it is the fact that she was a part of Zelda's moveset. Sheik wouldn't have happened as an independent character.
Nah, it absolutely was an issue of timing. Remember that Zelda got in before before her signature abilities (not that there are much, mind) were established. They just went off of what Zelda did at the time.

Even then, though, the fact that they took out her main signature ability, her Light Arrow, is pretty questionable.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
They could always go the enemy underling approach and try a Wizzrobe. Each series had a different design for them and they were always a pain to deal with. So were the Darknauts? But they're kind of already being used by Zelda. It'd be funny and kind of weird for him to be attack by his own brethren.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I just wrote out my response to that DK thread, so here is what I would choose to add for TOZ to be represented in a way that made me happiest.

ITEMS
-An Ocarina item. Somehow, youd actually be able to play it, to different effects. This would be an item of which you needed to have an actual understanding to utilize. (Overall, I think the items we get to reflect Zelda are fun for play, but never remind me of ToZ).

-A mask would be a great item as well. We have plenty of wearable items, so a mask (Kunimitse one- I forget the name) to give your standard attacks daggers, or a Deku mask that allows any character to glide down.

-While on items- the treasure chest would be an item that gave you another item, and only top level ones.

-Assist Trophies. Well, I just want Vaati, alright? He is the most recurring villain after Ganondorf, and a mage at that.

-Also. Epona. Yes. I want my dear riding companion as an assist, or somehow in the game, somehow. Hell, she could be in the background of the stage drinking a cocktail, and i'd be alright with it. I miss her.

CHARACTERS
-We have the characters we have, and for better or worse, the Link's have the moves they have. I'm pretty fine with Ganondorf, though I do think he should float and Volley. Oh well.
So to start, I'm gonna say the one that I was confused was not in the base game as far back as Sm4sh- Impa. When Sheik got separated from Zelda, it should have been Impa to become the new character. Now, this did not happen (obviously), so today, I think we have earned Impa (Skyward Sward content addition) with majority of Sheik's moves, but with more of Ganondorf's moves for Smashes.

-Another character? Yeah... this really is always the question. Part of me would have been completely fine with getting all four champions. My sadness with TOZ characters is that the world of Hyrule has so many vibrant species, and this is completely unrepresented in Smash. So much so that just adding one seems just as odd. Maybe the new BotW game can help figure this out?

Top Bottom