• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is ROB unpopular?

Spiny Top

Smash Cadet
How come ROB isn’t more popular? It seems like ROB players are few and far between, and the few I do see obviously aren’t maining him based on their skill level, just trying him for a game most likely.

I checked this and he seems to be rated as “unpopular”. Not sure if those tiers are ordered but if so based on what I have seen, I would put him near the bottom.

Also he seems unliked and disrespected too. Whenever I’m playing in arenas and watching the host’s twitch stream, they usually start complaining and trash talking ROB if I go on a tear.

So what’s the deal?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Projectile users tend to get a lot of hate in the community. A lot of people think they're frustrating to face, and spectators don't like how their projectiles and traps slow down the pace of the game. Some players who are bad at playing around projectiles think using them is a "cheap" tactic. Then there's the fact that projectiles are hard to react to online, which makes them more annoying to deal with.

Some characters, such as Link and Samus, at least have enough character popularity to alleviate at least some of that hate. Not poor ROB though.

When you play an unpopular character like ROB, I think its an important skill to learn not to take attacks on your main as attacks on your person. Unfortunately some people will go too far and attack people for who they main, which just isn't right.

1FC0

Smash Lord
People who complain about R.O.B. make me think of this image:
salt-powered-r.o.b.png

Personally I do not care if scrubs find me cheap. I care about having a Gyro to hide behind and about having a Robo Beam emitter to grant me the capability to safely attack from a distance.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
Rob is not a pure zoner. There are much more annoying examples of ranged characters than Rob... young link, toon link, mii gunner

Rob has some exciting moves like combo off the down B and several spikes

I think he gets hates because the character itself was not requested at all and is not popular. Also maybe because the bury mechanic can feel frustrating to play against?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Maybe it's just me but I play R.O.B. as a zoner who sometimes falls back on an aggressive playstyle. I think that he's mostly a zoner but that could be just my bias towards zoning.

As for burying, R.O.B.'s bury is the worst in the game and against most skilled opponent's it's worthless until a high percentage at which it becomes a 50-50 mindgame until a very high percentage where it leads into a kill combo (but many throws just outright kill at that percentage so it really does not matter much).

Top Bottom