• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Puff lower tier in Project M?

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
While she is improved greatly from Brawl, she still has the lower end of the tier list. Why? I know that this game is very balanced, and the only character considered "bad" is Olimar. It's just that Jigglypuff has very similar tools that she has in melee, tell me if I'm wrong, but it feels like her rest is stronger in PM than melee, although just by a tiny bit. But even tiny differences can be a big deal in competitive smash. People have told me that it's because other characters were buffed as well, and they just got buffed a lot more than Puff was. I don't know if I really believe this to be true or not, I mean, it seems that the other characters were definitely stronger in PM. But the thing is, Jigglypuff is still pretty buffed in terms of comparison to brawl. So why is she so low? Any answers?

BumiBomber

Smash Rookie
The reason Jiggs was a top tier in Melee was because the top tiers in melee didnt have any recoveries. Now that practically every character's recovery has been improved, she does alot worse because her edge guarding techniques are no longer as viablle and her combos are easier to get out of.

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
It's also worth noting that there are very few players in Melee even that manage to make Jiggs much of a threat and only one, Hbox, who ever made it to the top. That alongside what BumiBomber said as well as the fact that most characters in PM have also received either redesigns/buffs or just plain buffs that allows there to be much more notable competition than there ever was in Melee. A big reason characters in Melee feel so much better than they are here is because a big part of what made them so scary in Melee is that you had to be one of them to consistently beat them.

D

Deleted member

Something tells me her down air trapping for gimps isn't as good as in Melee. Least feels that way to me.

X Riptide X

Smash Cadet
Bumi's right; now that one of Jigg's most important kill options (edge guards) are rendered practically useless by any non-Melee characters, she's not nearly as good as she was in comparison to the Melee cast. Also, Mewtwo. Mewtwo decimates Puff.

SoulPech

Smash Master
She is lower tier because of what has been mentioned above: Other characters are buffed, recoveries are better, etc. Keep in mind that this doesn't mean she's a Low-Tier Character. I still feel she's considered mid tier and that people don't really want to take the time and push through her meta because there are other characters out there that players find more appealing and can do the same job she does w/ less effort (irony).

Additionally, being low tier in this game doesn't mean much. Puff is still a viable character...especially in Teams.

N00B64

Smash Cadet
something super important that doesn't seem to be mentioned. melee had 2 stages that were considered small and decent couterpicks against puff (yoshi's and fountain).

project M has yoshi's still (depending on region), fountain, greenhill, warioland, and even PS2 has a low ceiling with small side blastzones. the 2 out of 5 stages that people had to counterpick puff has now jumped to 4-5 out of the usual 8-11 stages (depending on regions again), and there are alot of characters that have decent kill potential at low % to take advantage of these small stages against puff.

there is alot stacked against puff, with the only buff she received being rollout having 100% chance to snap to ledge (which is more due to character ledgesnap being larger and being able to do it backwards during recovery moves) and DACUS, which are both due to engine changes.

puff can still do very solid work against other characters, but you HAVE to know your matchups and which stages you feel comfortable with fighting against them on.

Last edited:

SoulPech

Smash Master
I prefer smaller stages in this game over larger stages. There are alot of characters in this game that play the run away game and will dash dance puff to oblivion. If I get close, then they cannot move around as much. Additionally, GnW and sonic cannot recover from the bottom (I'm pretty sure) on Yoshi Story, which limits their recovery. The only thing is we die earlier. I miss Yoshi Story :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom