• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is online in this game so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
Oh I'm sorry, the tone of your last post implied you resented the fact that there's a ranking system at all discouraging players from rematching, which would happen even if it was a "normal" system. And I don't give a toss about how accurately a number reflects how I'd do in a tournament, not only because even the best latency conditions will always be off compared to them, but because a theoretical dedicated competitive mode will never be able to consistently replicate tourney matches with randoms. Good luck succeeding when you only know how to play on Battlefield or Final Destination. All I care about is that GSP gives me consistently engaging matches instead of the c***shoot that was For Glory (but you're welcome to use arenas if you want to play that way). I can feel this in matches without looking at a silly number I only see at the end of a match, and that's what you should be focusing on if your goal is to improve. If you need a number or letter to tell you how good you are beyond a rough approximation, then at best you're committed to climbing an online ladder and nothing more.
To heck with tourney matches, not everyone cares about those things. Point of the reason I asked you the question I did right before (which you promptly ignored, that was awesome) is because your arguments usually devolve into “well, no matter what Nintendo does - people will still complain. You can’t control players to play your style of game”, so I asked if my online template I came up with with just the help of a mod was something you think people would complain... pointing to the fact that there is a lot Nintendo can do to make fans more happy and how they legitimately botched this online with terrible ideas in so much that a 19 year old kid and a mod on a smash forum could come up with ideas way better and more exciting.

I get you like this online system, but objectively speaking - this thing is quite indefensible because it’s really trashy hence the general low approvals. Then even smash 4 I bet.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Oh I'm sorry, the tone of your last post implied you resented the fact that there's a ranking system at all discouraging players from rematching, which would happen even if it was a "normal" system. And I don't give a toss about how accurately a number reflects how I'd do in a tournament, not only because even the best latency conditions will always be off compared to them, but because a theoretical dedicated competitive mode will never be able to consistently replicate tourney matches with randoms. Good luck succeeding when you only know how to play on Battlefield or Final Destination. All I care about is that GSP gives me consistently engaging matches instead of the c***shoot that was For Glory (but you're welcome to use arenas if you want to play that way). I can feel this in matches without looking at a silly number I only see at the end of a match, and that's what you should be focusing on if your goal is to improve. If you need a number or letter to tell you how good you are beyond a rough approximation, then at best you're committed to climbing an online ladder and nothing more.
A vast majority of players playing any PvP style video game are just climbing online ladders. Very few actually see tournament play on LAN or fully offline in this case. I agree that GSP is sort of nice for match making opponents just for practice, even though it is clearly not great at it, but it definitely fails to provide net warriors an engaging ranking system. The sad part is that we could easily have a system where basically everybody is happy. They could just copy, say Starcraft 2, across the board and smash online would be 800% better. I picked SC2 since they even rotate in the competitive map pool for the players.

It sort of boggles my mind as to why they purposefully made an online structure that is not addicting. Its like its designed to be soft and sort of meaningless.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
I KEEP GETTING TEAM BATTLE WITH A USELESS TEAMMATE!
This makes me so livid, when my settings are set to Smash, I lost 600,000 GSP consecutively with Dr.Mario. No more. No more please.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Ever seems like everyone should've listened when i said to not pay for online because Nintendo would **** it up?

Especially after the mario maker 2 no friends ****show?

They added another ****show by having a 32 max upload limit too

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
GOD DAMMIT, THERE IS SO MUCH LAG NOWADAYS!!! Out of every 10 games I play, at least 4 of them are laggy!!! Also why do I keep getting 1 v 1s when I specifically ask for free for alls?

Rran

Smash Apprentice
This makes me so livid, when my settings are set to Smash, I lost 600,000 GSP consecutively with Dr.Mario. No more. No more please.
heh, I was fuming about this a few weeks ago. And then I decided to try out Incineroar (never really use him, but wanted the practice) online in a 1v1. Ended up in a team battle w/ the most amazing goddamn Pac-Man I've ever seen for a partner: srsly, he was doing things I didn't think possible w/ the character. And we lost... barely... and I felt so gd bad lol, because my Incineroar wasn't doing **** against our Ganondorf/ Lucina opponents.

So it goes. :sadeyes:

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
main reason why i can't stand team matches at times! it's always me who gets the bad teammate, they said they fixed GSP matchmaking..but then what the hell is someone under 2 mil doing in a team match where everyone is over 3/4 mil?!
and why do i always get this noob?! it would be nice that i either get the good teammate or the opponent get the noob..i am already glad teams are now switching but the noob usually leaves after losing once :l

team matches are the only rule set that MUST make sure your teammate is around your GSP >.>

Last edited:

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Kinda wish team battles didn't contribute towards GSP.

J.I.L

I’m playing on BA playground, and the amount of total degeneracy of the players and owners is absurd. These people literally sit and Do nothing the entire game,except move around A LITTLE, taunt a few time and just press A or B button while being stationary. Then they wait for sudden death to avoid bomb. RINSE ANDNREPEAT.

Before I lambast people who do this... IS THERE ANYONE who sucribes to this? ANYONE WHO thinks that playstyle is cool, acceptable and not to be messed with?

I got booted for playing the most CASUAL way possible. I literally just taunted, ran around and threw items and bombs as snake. I won and got booted because the owner is so GARBAGE at the game that she just died from my casual snake play and got tied for last (someone SD after she died is the only reason she didn’t get straight last).

The problem with this is that when o set up my Battle arena and play, sometimes after people beat me they run away from the room because they are afraid I’ll boot them.

I don’t get why owners in playground (but in most BA arenas in general) act like... what is a civilized synonym For the b-word? Divas? Why do. BATTLE arena owners act like divas with emotional issues. It’s such a disgrace. Stinking losers.
It’s bad because that culture is seeped in Battle arena to where in my own room, people are afraid o casually fight in playground because they afraid if they fight back they get booted. Heck, I’ve seen owners on playground fight people, (usually with back up or two) then if they fight back they get thrown out.

It’s frustrating because this online offers so little that I have to use BA in order to extrapolate the most enjoyment out of a putrid. But this isn’t totally about Nintendo, we understand they are a disgrace when it comes to online play for ultimate.
But the culture and phych of these owners in BA. A lot of them are divas. It’s terrible.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
The sheer, disgusting toxicity from online players amused me like boiled feces. The most toxic player I met went by the tag ‘Choy’, a taunt spastic, teabag anxious Isabelle/Peach abuser. When I enter their Arena, they will enter the ring, and after I press OK, immediately leave, and repeat the process over and over until they have released enough toxins into the malware of the dysfunctional online system and kick me.

Another toxic player went by the tag, ‘Hadou’. I enter their Arena from time to time, it’s open but they almost never face me, and simply wait till I bore and leave, not even giving me the honor of being kicked due to salt still coursing through their blood. How did they come to detest me so much? They are a Lucina slave, and were carried by the privileges a brain dead swordie possesses. They beat me, badly in the past, and taunted while they were at it. I improved though, and my developing Dark Pit was able to dominate their lacking Lucina. I didn’t become extremely toxic in recompense, simply beat them fair and square, with even a ‘Well Played!’ for respect. It was too much for their top tier to be overcome by this insignificant, rare character, is what I presume. They still avoid facing me. I’m not that amazing, just got some bare basics but if they want I’m willing to train with them.

Ness. Palutena. These two characters are the king and queen of toxic aura, with every time I see Palutena makes me want to humble her in a game of SMASH.

Anyway, these are just a few quaint observations I’ve happened to experience. Next time, I’ll most likely speak of lag, which makes me laugh desperately as I struggle to walk in a straight line. I really hope they’ll improve the online infrastructure.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Ever seem like most of us are ignoring your posts because you bring nothing new to the table? Not trying to be mean, but all of your posts are just the same comment worded differently.

Anyway, I checked online to see if it's still bad and I got two games in before I was kicked with a timeout out of nowhere. But those two games were nothing that I wanted, lagged, and the last one had a Lucas who just spammed PK freeze the whole time. Then when they lost and because my joycon is partially broken I was the second to die. (These things must be junk, I've taken great care of them) The other two just ran away from each other for 4 minutes until the damn timer went out.

Just no. Screw that. I ended up booting up the smash forums, read some threads, and made this post when the battle was idling. Yes, I paid for the online, but I've been playing with friends for the most part. So I usually don't go online with randoms.

Edit: Holy crap, I just had a battle with a Shiek and Greninja and I was jigglypuff. And the match started off ok, but all of sudden lag hit. And Puff was doing all sorts of attacks that I didn't even register (not even delayed ones) I assumed the cpu was controlling her at first, but I could still move her. But it was registering half of what I did and half of some other strange force. Anyone else ever have this happen?

I also noticed this thread switched from the online discussion to the serious discussions. When did this happen?

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
What the hell. I decided to try some more smash random online. It was what I expected. Except I got a ban for an hour and 15 minutes. wtf? I didn't do anything against the rules, but it claims I did. The game didn't disconnect, I didn't quit the game, and I played it all the way to the end. Nice to know they're now punishing me for nothing.

This time it didn't say the usual thing about 'your disconnection looked shady, so we're punishing you.' I guess I got hit because of unsporty behavior. Except I didn't.

J.I.L

What the hell. I decided to try some more smash random online. It was what I expected. Except I got a ban for an hour and 15 minutes. wtf? I didn't do anything against the rules, but it claims I did. The game didn't disconnect, I didn't quit the game, and I played it all the way to the end. Nice to know they're now punishing me for nothing.

This time it didn't say the usual thing about 'your disconnection looked shady, so we're punishing you.' I guess I got hit because of unsporty behavior. Except I didn't.
I don’t buy it. I play this game all the time, never been hit with a ban, mich less a ban for doing nothing. What did you do?

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't know lol. Maybe I did, but it was a free for all 4 player match. I played it through to the end and went to sudden death, but I lost that. There was a lot of hiccups in lag, so I didn't want to rematch and opted out when it asked me. I went to pick my fighter again, but the penalty sign sprung up.

There was a match earlier where the game lagged forever and I thought it was going to kick us all with a penalty, but it didn't. Sort of. It resumed eventually, but the fighters were taken over by cpus. It didn't give me a penalty when I went back to pick my fighter. Maybe that was delayed? Or I could had gotten a report by something that finally took affect? Still don't know what the report would had been on though.

If I knew what it was, I wouldn't had posted lol. I just commented cause I'm confused.

J.I.L

I honestly don't know lol. Maybe I did, but it was a free for all 4 player match. I played it through to the end and went to sudden death, but I lost that. There was a lot of hiccups in lag, so I didn't want to rematch and opted out when it asked me. I went to pick my fighter again, but the penalty sign sprung up.

There was a match earlier where the game lagged forever and I thought it was going to kick us all with a penalty, but it didn't. Sort of. It resumed eventually, but the fighters were taken over by cpus. It didn't give me a penalty when I went back to pick my fighter. Maybe that was delayed? Or I could had gotten a report by something that finally took affect? Still don't know what the report would had been on though.

If I knew what it was, I wouldn't had posted lol. I just commented cause I'm confused.
Most defintly weird. Sorry dude.

If I ever had that sort of bull-junk happen to me..... words would not even be able to describe the wrath i'd bestow on this forum. Having to already deal with this terrible online system? with annoying swamp BattleField players and the irritating gsp system? then to get banned for no reason and without warning?
lol, i'd be permantly banned from this smash board forum within the hour. lol.

Point is, I appluad you for keeping cool. I sure as heck wouldn't.

mrguy321

Smash Cadet
yo there so many babies that just camp the entire match or abuse their range and stall. god damn idiots dont know theyre all doing the exact same thing, so im a god at the match up, and u should too. theyre the scum of smash

online gets so boring with so many camping babies. they even run for their life in arena! YOURE NOT EVEN LOSING GSP!

Last edited:

J.I.L

online gets so boring with so many camping babies. they even run for their life in arena! YOURE NOT EVEN LOSING GSP!
First of all, stop double posting. 2nd, you should watch your mouth of how you talk about other players. “Camping babies” “god damned idiots” “scum of the trash”. You don’t know what eyes may stumble across your post, and the type of playstyle those players may have. What if one person who shoots lasers at the end of the stage and does side B every time you get close to him to the other side of the stage or another player who spams pk fire 80% of the time, does a back throw and tea bag after every stock?

Someone like that may see your post, get annoyed by it and then you get into an online skirmish of trash talk. You don’t don’t want that, so be careful and be mindful of what you post.

mrguy321

Smash Cadet
First of all, stop double posting. 2nd, you should watch your mouth of how you talk about other players. “Camping babies” “god damned idiots” “scum of the trash”. You don’t know what eyes may stumble across your post, and the type of playstyle those players may have. What if one person who shoots lasers at the end of the stage and does side B every time you get close to him to the other side of the stage or another player who spams pk fire 80% of the time, does a back throw and tea bag after every stock?

Someone like that may see your post, get annoyed by it and then you get into an online skirmish of trash talk. You don’t don’t want that, so be careful and be mindful of what you post.
yawn

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
GOD DAMMIT, THERE IS SO MUCH LAG NOWADAYS!!! Out of every 10 games I play, at least 4 of them are laggy!!! Also why do I keep getting 1 v 1s when I specifically ask for free for alls?
And Brawlhalla, the free game from small company, that has dedicated servers, is still completelly free of lag in online matches. Meanwhile, the $60 super production game (going to be $85 with the DLCs), is still at the same state.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I only started playing online a few days ago. My internet was crap day one so the lag was godawful. It’s fixed now and lag isn’t a big issue anymore.

My issue stems from Ness/Lucas PK Fire spam, Samus spam, Ganondorf, and people running away instead of playing properly.

That and I legitimately suck lol. I was playing against CPU’s before and was doing well. Now I realize how terrible I am at the game against human players.

Losing against nearly every Ganondorf I see just proved that I guess. I use Bayonetta and Joker so I shouldn’t be struggling against him.

I also DETEST Kirby players who stand on the edge, suck the character in, then suicide. It’s embarrassing but I keep losing to that. Sigh.

Last edited:

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
I only started playing online a few days ago. My internet was crap day one so the lag was godawful. It’s fixed now and lag isn’t a big issue anymore.

My issue stems from Ness/Lucas PK Fire spam, Samus spam, Ganondorf, and people running away instead of playing properly.

That and I legitimately suck lol. I was playing against CPU’s before and was doing well. Now I realize how terrible I am at the game against human players.

Losing against nearly every Ganondorf I see just proved that I guess. I use Bayonetta and Joker so I shouldn’t be struggling against him.

I also DETEST Kirby players who stand on the edge, suck the character in, then suicide. It’s embarrassing but I keep losing to that. Sigh.
Lvl 9 CPUs, despite being hard, can still be exploited. Tactics you use on CPUs don't work on human players. For example, CPUs tend to run into a charged forward smash attack and get themselves KOed. That obviously doesn't work on real people. All I'm saying is training with Lvl 9 CPUs is a bad idea. Also I think you're being too predictable with your attack patterns. Since you use Bayo and Joker, Ganondorf should be easy to juggle. Mix up your options, and if you're able to continuously combo the poor dude, that'll be a free game for you. Don't make too many mistakes against a Ganon, otherwise they'll end you with a "DORIYAH". As for Kirby, simple solution. If you see them trying the succ at the edge, just stay away from them or if you have an attack that outranges Kirby's succ, then use that to hit them. I do agree Mr. PK Fire is annoying, but you could just jump over it or DI out of it if you get caught in it. I suggest a reflector fighter like Fox to deal with "Ms. Charge Shot" aka Samus.

J.I.L

Keep at it. It takes awhile before one becomes elite at the game. It took me years before I became very good in smash.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Keep at it. It takes awhile before one becomes elite at the game. It took me years before I became very good in smash.
what this guy is complaining about is precisely why I **** on 'degenerate' playstyles. it is so unfriendly to new players that just get exploited by low skill junk.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
It's also not really that fun to match against either. Whether you school them or not, it's kind of boring after a while.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Lvl 9 CPUs, despite being hard, can still be exploited. Tactics you use on CPUs don't work on human players. For example, CPUs tend to run into a charged forward smash attack and get themselves KOed. That obviously doesn't work on real people. All I'm saying is training with Lvl 9 CPUs is a bad idea. Also I think you're being too predictable with your attack patterns. Since you use Bayo and Joker, Ganondorf should be easy to juggle. Mix up your options, and if you're able to continuously combo the poor dude, that'll be a free game for you. Don't make too many mistakes against a Ganon, otherwise they'll end you with a "DORIYAH". As for Kirby, simple solution. If you see them trying the succ at the edge, just stay away from them or if you have an attack that outranges Kirby's succ, then use that to hit them. I do agree Mr. PK Fire is annoying, but you could just jump over it or DI out of it if you get caught in it. I suggest a reflector fighter like Fox to deal with "Ms. Charge Shot" aka Samus.
You’re right. I am being too predictable. Something I noticed even more when I played yesterday. Now I know, so I’ll be sure to change it up and adapt during the game.

Sometimes I try to Witch Time Ness’a recovery but end up getting hit by it instead since the startup is too slow... I think I’ll stop doing that :p

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

Oh I’ll definitely keep practicing for sure. At my current skill, it’s a mix between fun and frustrating atm. I’ll get better overtime.

Last edited:

J.I.L

what this guy is complaining about is precisely why I **** on 'degenerate' playstyles. it is so unfriendly to new players that just get exploited by low skill junk.
Those “degenerate” playstyle only make the newcomers stronger. It makes them more angry when they lose to which makes their drive and hunger for winning more which motivates them to practice so they may improve their chances of wining by getting better. Then when they see the fruits of their training with success, it makes them appreciate it more. That is good.

It’s better then your idea of playing dictator and trying to abolish/de-program/destroy etc. any sort of projectile based fighting style which would only hurt the game and the smash meta.

Kokiden Kokiden thats the spirit. If you ever need help, post some of your battles here and we can dissect and give good feedback if the mod Sucumbio Sucumbio allows it.

Though if you do do that.... you probably might want to take my
Feedback with the biggest grain of salt because my gsp is probably the highest out of anyone in this forum thread lol ... :laugh:Just kidding........ Kinda

J.I.L

I was watching This video about Sakurai on his character promo trailers and I just stumbled upon a comment that said “smash ultimate is the most Perfected fighting game ever”. It got 500+ likes. It made me sad (actually made me angry and disgusted at first).and btw, if you look at the thread there’ll be a few people defending him with very bogus reasoning. I just..... I don’t ...... I don’t understand how people can look at smash ultimate and think this is a near flawless game. Or think this is that great for that matter. It’s such a super flawed game with terrible online features, jank mechanics and lacking in the offfline sector. Smash ultimate looked like a rushed game. Heck, it’s battle data does not even quantify some of your kills unless you’re player one. And even then, it pick and chooses when it decides to count your battle date for a character. This game has so many problems are that are just unacceptable.

I don’t comprehend how people can think this game is an objectively well oiled machine. I sure as heck don’t see them down here in the trenches of forums arguing their case. The only guy we see who constantly defends this game (online of course) literally never a shows himself till like every 1,000 years when some random visitor comes by and says they like the online system. He then comes to debate a little, ignores well over half of the replies that challenges his argument of the online being good then disappears back into the abyss of inactivity.

It’s sad because if the entire community could demand changes be done to this game or show disapproval for a lot of its inadequacies... maybe we would get confirmation Nintendo is planning to improve. But to many people get caught up in what character from some video game is joining and the glitz and glamour persona of ultimate... that the actual problems get pushed under rugs. I just don’t get it.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Those “degenerate” playstyle only make the newcomers stronger. It makes them more angry when they lose to which makes their drive and hunger for winning more which motivates them to practice so they may improve their chances of wining by getting better. Then when they see the fruits of their training with success, it makes them appreciate it more. That is good.

It’s better then your idea of playing dictator and trying to abolish/de-program/destroy etc. any sort of projectile based fighting style which would only hurt the game and the smash meta.

Kokiden Kokiden thats the spirit. If you ever need help, post some of your battles here and we can dissect and give good feedback if the mod Sucumbio Sucumbio allows it.

Though if you do do that.... you probably might want to take my
Feedback with the biggest grain of salt because my gsp is probably the highest out of anyone in this forum thread lol ... :laugh:Just kidding........ Kinda
I disagree. It only helps newcomers with the mindset of learning a more viable playstyle, like that works in higher gsp or offline, get slightly better at dealing with turds spamming down B. Otherwise, it just trains noobs to do terrible strategies that only work on each other, rather than improving at strategies that can get them into elite smash. This type of crap has been part of every smash game, so im not suggesting that we remove Ganons down B, but you can see how it frustrates new players regardless.

and I wasn't specifically referring to projectiles, but they are definitely included in the list of things that drive new players away. You always take offense to this since I'm calling your play style degenerate, while you go way out of your way to point out how degenerate it actually is in half of your posts. Tbh, i've never seen you play, and all i know is that you challenged some girl to a 1v1 on here and got reamed... I'm not personally targeting you with my opinion that i've held for the last 3 smash games. Anyway, I don't think that they should be abolished from the game, but I'd prefer that they stop adding characters that have 6 different projectile moves. I'm fine with characters like wolf that have 1 projectile that is impactful. It can be spammed, ofc, but it doesn't define the entire character.

J.I.L

I disagree. It only helps newcomers with the mindset of learning a more viable playstyle, like that works in higher gsp or offline, get slightly better at dealing with turds spamming down B. Otherwise, it just trains noobs to do terrible strategies that only work on each other, rather than improving at strategies that can get them into elite smash. This type of crap has been part of every smash game, so im not suggesting that we remove Ganons down B, but you can see how it frustrates new players regardless.

and I wasn't specifically referring to projectiles, but they are definitely included in the list of things that drive new players away. You always take offense to this since I'm calling your play style degenerate, while you go way out of your way to point out how degenerate it actually is in half of your posts. Tbh, i've never seen you play, and all i know is that you challenged some girl to a 1v1 on here and got reamed... I'm not personally targeting you with my opinion that i've held for the last 3 smash games. Anyway, I don't think that they should be abolished from the game, but I'd prefer that they stop adding characters that have 6 different projectile moves. I'm fine with characters like wolf that have 1 projectile that is impactful. It can be spammed, ofc, but it doesn't define the entire character.
Noobs are noobs. No matter what playstyle they have. There’s really no precise playstyle that’ll never get you in elite. If you know how defend yourself and use a character, you’ll get in elite smash and be a viable player. It may “frustrate” newcomers, but a down B spammy noob/casual ganondprf player is like preliminary level training you should master before taking on other players.

I’d never disgrace myself by meaningly call my playstyle “degenerate”.
That venclair woman got lucky. I used joy con controllers. This time around, if I ever play her again... I would Destory her... ruthlessly and with little mercy (a lot of tea bags and taunts as she’s getting bodied).
And you’d know how I play if you took my offer on a BA though the outcome would be obvious.

Back to the point. I actually can get behind this, limit the projectile character options. Make projectile based character less and ingrained more melee styled fighters. As long as ness, falco and bower jr stay put... I’m cool with that. Makes my job far more easier. Playing against more donkey Kong’s, Mario’s, and kirbys instead of ritcher, megamans , snakes, robs and villager? Heck yeah!

Edit: Oh! You’re saying when I rant about projectile people I indirectly and ironically condemn my own playstyle.
Lol. Wrong.

The only time I complain about projectile are due to the projectile swamp dwellers in battlefield stages. Key word being battlefield. I would not criticize a person using projectiles on Fd. Actually, they would have my approval even if they bested me. Though rarely do I ever get bested at my own game on FD with my main. The only other time I complain about projectiles are when they are unfairly given to a character aka Simon and ritcher. His projectiles aren’t even the issue, it’s his huge whip that’s way to strong and long in combination with his projectiles.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
do we need to change certain characters again because people are being salty?
characters like Spamus and the Links are who they are and play how they play >.>
i currently despise Captain Falcon but at the end of day i wouldn't want him changed, because it's a YOU problem if you can't handle certain characters,
i used to struggle against certain characters then i mean Ganondorf & Ness and yes even Spamus,
but with improving i can handle myself waaay better against them to the point i do not find them annoying anymore!

i had matches with Toon Link where my opponent struggled against my projectiles (this kinda still happens in the 4 mil range sometimes...) but it's on them to work on it to be able to find a way to go against it.. if i use certain moves and they work then i will use them alot more until my opponent(s) know how to deal with it, after all i do want to win soooo...it's not me to blame for something others have to figure out :l

same goes for Zelda..so many people are complaining about her but is it really Zelda's fault? or is it their fault for not wanting to put any effort into trying to find a way against it? as someone who both won and lost with Zelda i can easily say shes not unbeatable nor a powerful goddess who destroys all!
if they know about Zelda's neutral B and down B (her most complained about moves) then why do they keep using the same playstyle that won't work against it? you do not need to be a genius to know how a Zelda player will react to certain things.
i do not consider myself a genius but even i know what moves certain characters really like to use >~>

and nope i am not a saint, i have complained about characters as well but actually changing them just so people have a easy win..that's just silly o:

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
do we need to change certain characters again because people are being salty?
No, nobody said that if you actually read the posts.

I’d never disgrace myself by meaningly call my playstyle “degenerate”.
Maybe not directly, but you say these long tongue in cheek things about how you cheese people quite often, such as like 3 posts up.

What if one person who shoots lasers at the end of the stage and does side B every time you get close to him to the other side of the stage or another player who spams pk fire 80% of the time, does a back throw and tea bag after every stock?

I was playing against CPU’s before and was doing well. Now I realize how terrible I am at the game against human players.
CPUs don't behave like real players, but thats okay. If you're new to smash, i would definitely recommend playing a huge quantity of bot games. You need to gain complete control of your movement, your attacks, defense, combos etc. Playing against other people when you can't even make your character do what you want is not the most valuable practice. Look up Izaw's Art of Smash ultimate guides and watch all of them. He will tell you precisely what to master in the training mode. You should practice all of those techniques in the trainer until you can start applying them on demand in bot games / QP.

It'll take hundreds of games and training mode practice just to get over the initial hump, but mastering your movement, combos, and tech skill is how you unlock the ability to outplay your opponents. Once you can make your character do what you want it to, all of the time, you have situations such as "this guy always does this one habit and I'm going to do 'this move' to counter it next time on reaction" actually work out in your favor. A specific example might be a Falco who does nothing but shoot lasers. If you see him going for the laser at medium / short range, you have a chance to punish it by moving forward and short hopping over the projectile and fast falling into a dash attack or just using an aerial. If you can't reliably short hop, which most new players cannot, then you just won't get a punish here, since the Falco's lag from the laser will end if you do not punish him quickly.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
No, nobody said that if you actually read the posts.
i did read it actually, but english is not my main language so i might misunderstand or misread things,
this usually happens with long replies so i guess i misread/misunderstood some things then...

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I think that is what happened to me before with the hour penalty. I just had a free for all match and we got to sudden death (just two of us) but before that whenever someone would lose they'd get salty as hell and ragequit. Then sudden death came on and before it could say go, we got a endless loading screen. It finally resumed, but our fighters were picked up by cpus. It kicked me with a connection error and when I went back to pick quick play I was warned against the usual crap. Unusual behavior, underhanded, disconnecting, rage quitting yada yada'

I didn't get a penalty this time because I played enough stable games. But it shouldn't be anyone's fault if the game can't handle the basic functions it's supposed to. Get your ____ together Nintendo.

I tried to capture footage, but you can't do that unless you finish the match. I really should find a way so that I can upload it to YT when it does it again and show the clueless public.

Last edited:

J.I.L

Ok so I think that is what happened to me before with the hour penalty. I just had a free for all match and we got to sudden death (just two of us) but before that whenever someone would lose they'd get salty as hell and ragequit. Then sudden death came on and before it could say go, we got a endless loading screen. It finally resumed, but our fighters were picked up by cpus. It kicked me with a connection error and when I went back to pick quick play I was warned against the usual crap. Unusual behavior, underhanded, disconnecting, rage quitting yada yada'

I didn't get a penalty this time because I played enough stable games. But it shouldn't be anyone's fault if the game can't handle the basic functions it's supposed to. Get your ____ together Nintendo.

I tried to capture footage, but you can't do that unless you finish the match. I really should find a way so that I can upload it to YT when it does it again and show the clueless public.
Are you sure it isn’t because your WiFi is garbage?

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
No, my internet is good. It's probably not prime, but it is good enough to not cause all the lag that comes with Smash online from time to time. I've played quite a bit earlier today and the other day and most matches went on without any sort of lag. I don't think the few instances where the game endlessly loaded and then we were all replaced with cpus before the match ended prematurely was the fault of any one. I think that's more of hiccup on Nintendo's side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom