• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is online in this game so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
This stupid online system. Curse those stupid players. The amount of stupid mechanics in this game is why it’s gameplay is inferior to smash 4. All elite smash is just a bunch of ..... (I really want to say slurish cuss word right now)... who just smash their controller buttons and the literal speed of light. Some of the stupidity people are able to get away with in this game is why it sucks compared to smash 4.

In smash 4, if you blocked an attack, you were given enough time to throw at least a jab attack before oppent could respond. Now in this, if like some does an attack and you block it. That someone does a shield, stationed dodge,and smash attack before you are able to blink. A bunch of button smashing little children who infest that stupid online system.this game is such a piece of trash. Smash 4 is way better then this composition of toxic pollutant and it’s not even close and I don’t give an F$CK about your disagreement.

Last edited:

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
This stupid online system. Curse those stupid players. The amount of stupid mechanics in this game is why it’s gameplay is inferior to smash 4. All elite smash is just a bunch of ..... (I really want to say slurish cuss word right now)... who just smash their controller buttons and the literal speed of light. Some of the stupidity people are able to get away with in this game is why it sucks compared to smash 4.

In smash 4, if you blocked an attack, you were given enough time to throw at least a jab attack before oppent could respond. Now in this, if like some does an attack and you block it. That someone does a shield, stationed dodge,and smash attack before you are able to blink. A bunch of button smashing little children who infest that stupid online system.this game is such a piece of trash. Smash 4 is way better then this composition of toxic pollutant and it’s not even close and I don’t give an F$CK about your disagreement.
Hard agree spotdodge cancelling is really nice mechanic.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman

You aren't supposed to always get punishes out of shield. Some moves are safe on shield due to proper spacing or low landing lag vs their shield stun. Every smash game is like this, and it depends on your character. If they always spot dodge after hitting your shield, charge a smash attack to catch its lag. Most people do the exact same thing after hitting shield, so you can go for reads on it if your character doesn't have good OOS punishes.

The counter argument to your rant is that all that people did in smash 4 was play defensive and press shield for their free shield grabs and punishes. Wayyy lower skill than offensive play, and its basically the crux of why that game is widely considered to be bad. Defense was too strong, and it just made it stale. They literally had to use 2 stocks because the game was so slow.

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
You aren't supposed to always get punishes out of shield. Some moves are safe on shield due to proper spacing or low landing lag vs their shield stun. Every smash game is like this, and it depends on your character. If they always spot dodge after hitting your shield, charge a smash attack to catch its lag. Most people do the exact same thing after hitting shield, so you can go for reads on it if your character doesn't have good OOS punishes.

The counter argument to your rant is that all that people did in smash 4 was play defensive and press shield for their free shield grabs and punishes. Wayyy lower skill than offensive play, and its basically the crux of why that game is widely considered to be bad. Defense was too strong, and it just made it stale. They literally had to use 2 stocks because the game was so slow.
This. Smash 4 was a dumb grabfest and no one should want that to return.

J.I.L J.I.L
If you are having trouble with punishing OoS, here are a few things to work on:
-practice parrying. It will give you the window to punish with most moves if you can execute it reliably.
-jumping OoS. Next to parrying, jumping is the next fastest OoS option available. From there, you can either punish with a quick aerial, get out of the red zone, or bait a punishable reaction.
-recognizing which moves are going to out you at a frame disadvantage if you want to either attack or grab OoS. It sounds like you get frame trapped a lot, based on your complaint, so it would help to work on recognizing when it is good or bad to try to go for a direct punish OoS.

J.I.L

These people do it so fast, it’s hard to catch on to their tricks. My lemmy just lost 6k GSP, and my falco got thrown out of elite smash. I actually was as low as 4.4 million. I was able to grueling get it back to 4.67 million. So that was okay I guess. The only one who hasn’t got really effected by this game mechanics is ness but that’s just because I pk spam those button smashers.

And the thing about it mc-sqirrtle, you’re always saying defense got nerfed. For someone reason, people are able to throw up their shield at hypersonic speeds, far faster then smash 4, and don’t get me started with how annoying that air dodge mechanic is. I never use it but my oppenet always use that stupid thing and it ticks me off because I never punish their end lag! So much gsp lost, which means I lost a lot of games (also had to do with poorly trained children RAGE QUITTING AS IM ABOUT to BEAT THEM....COMPLETELY RUINING my momentum since I don’t get gsp after the match... the heck do I not get any gsp because mental asylum children can’t twke a loss? That’s stupid. They lose gsp, I gain gsp... you’ll stop ragequitting right there because insentive will be lower (it’s already pretty low to me since you get closer to getting banned and you lose all gsp. The only insentive to be was to be spiteful and laugh at the guy KICKED YOUR BUTT from not getting any gsp... but that’s just pathetic. I’m not spiteful like that. And people who are spiteful like that to me.... that’s cool. I’ll just tea bag you more and camp harder. Maybe camp so hard I just run out the clock!). Ugh, you see this ^ ?! This is what happened when I lose. I rant! Hence why I Don’t LIKE TO LOSE AND WHY I JUST WIN. And I’m going to do that, I just need to figure out this system and hopefully manipulate it to work to MY pleasing. 1,000 mph button smashers, cheap character Mainers, jump fire emblem spammers, battlefield swamp players... ALL OF THEM. I’ll hopefully one day figure all of you people. That means I have solid full proof game plans for all of you type people. And if that happens... There will be no more mercy. I won’t forget this pain, anger and disgust I have. Awaits the day I finally figure out this game. I’ll destroy my oppenents ruthlessly and efficiently. I won’t rest till I get my bowser jr to the elite elite threashold of the game. The top 1% and above. Obviously with a meager gsp of 4.82 million, I still have lost of studying and practice to go. If I was able to make a way for falco just pressing laser to be my main diet of attack and get me as far as he has done, these other things can be solved.

B BEASTMASTERTOAD Got it. Though I don’t try to parry, it’s just random. And I don’t jump. I stay on ground. Though the last part of advice I’ll definitely try to improve on. In smash 4, when I saw my falco didn’t have a good punish opportunity I’d just jump and side b to the other side of the stage and continue camp and just keep doing that till I was punishable opening of my oppenet. In ultimate, everyone is faster so I can fear doing it but I’ll try and study to see if it works still.

Last edited:

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
These people do it so fast, it’s hard to catch on to their tricks. My lemmy just lost 6k GSP, and my falco got thrown out of elite smash. I actually was as low as 4.4 million. I was able to grueling get it back to 4.67 million. So that was okay I guess. The only one who hasn’t got really effected by this game mechanics is ness but that’s just because I pk spam those button smashers.

And the thing about it mc-sqirrtle, you’re always saying defense got nerfed. For someone reason, people are able to throw up their shield at hypersonic speeds, far faster then smash 4, and don’t get me started with how annoying that air dodge mechanic is. I never use it but my oppenet always use that stupid thing and it ticks me off because I never punish their end lag! So much gsp lost, which means I lost a lot of games (also had to do with poorly trained children RAGE QUITTING AS IM ABOUT to BEAT THEM....COMPLETELY RUINING my momentum since I don’t get gsp after the match... the heck do I not get any gsp because mental asylum children can’t twke a loss? That’s stupid. They lose gsp, I gain gsp... you’ll stop ragequitting right there because insentive will be lower (it’s already pretty low to me since you get closer to getting banned and you lose all gsp. The only insentive to be was to be spiteful and laugh at the guy KICKED YOUR BUTT from not getting any gsp... but that’s just pathetic. I’m not spiteful like that. And people who are spiteful like that to me.... that’s cool. I’ll just tea bag you more and camp harder. Maybe camp so hard I just run out the clock!). Ugh, you see this ^ ?! This is what happened when I lose. I rant! Hence why I Don’t LIKE TO LOSE AND WHY I JUST WIN. And I’m going to do that, I just need to figure out this system and hopefully manipulate it to work to MY pleasing. 1,000 mph button smashers, cheap character Mainers, jump fire emblem spammers, battlefield swamp players... ALL OF THEM. I’ll hopefully one day figure all of you people. That means I have solid full proof game plans for all of you type people. And if that happens... There will be no more mercy. I won’t forget this pain, anger and disgust I have. Awaits the day I finally figure out this game. I’ll destroy my oppenents ruthlessly and efficiently. I won’t rest till I get my bowser jr to the elite elite threashold of the game. The top 1% and above. Obviously with a meager gsp of 4.82 million, I still have lost of studying and practice to go. If I was able to make a way for falco just pressing laser to be my main diet of attack and get me as far as he has done, these other things can be solved.

B BEASTMASTERTOAD Got it. Though I don’t try to parry, it’s just random. And I don’t jump. I stay on ground. Though the last part of advice I’ll definitely try to improve on. In smash 4, when I saw my falco didn’t have a good punish opportunity I’d just jump and side b to the other side of the stage and continue camp and just keep doing that till I was punishable opening of my oppenet. In ultimate, everyone is faster so I can fear doing it but I’ll try and study to see if it works still.
Well defense definitely was nerfed. Shield grabs are slower, dodging gets stale, and air dodges are limited to 1. In smash 4, you literally could not edge guard since they had infinity air dodges lol.

I don't know anything about any of your characters, but if i had to guess, i would imagine that Falco is not that great out of shield unless they space really badly. Maybe i'm wrong, but his best OOS option is not obvious like Pichu nair / bair. Anyway, i pretty much just main Palu now, and her OOS options suck. Nair only works if they are huge or right on top of me, bair works if they aren't short and are for some reason behind me, and dair basically hits everybody but comes out too late to really be consistent. As a result, i usually just take it as a chance to reset to semi advantaged neutral (like i get a chance to read their defense). I only try OOS options if its really clear that I will land them, since whiffing something like nair OOS is definitely disadvantage for me.

Maybe watch Larry Lurr play falco and see what he does out of shield.

J.I.L

Well defense definitely was nerfed. Shield grabs are slower, dodging gets stale, and air dodges are limited to 1. In smash 4, you literally could not edge guard since they had infinity air dodges lol.

I don't know anything about any of your characters, but if i had to guess, i would imagine that Falco is not that great out of shield unless they space really badly. Maybe i'm wrong, but his best OOS option is not obvious like Pichu nair / bair. Anyway, i pretty much just main Palu now, and her OOS options suck. Nair only works if they are huge or right on top of me, bair works if they aren't short and are for some reason behind me, and dair basically hits everybody but comes out too late to really be consistent. As a result, i usually just take it as a chance to reset to semi advantaged neutral (like i get a chance to read their defense). I only try OOS options if its really clear that I will land them, since whiffing something like nair OOS is definitely disadvantage for me.

Maybe watch Larry Lurr play falco and see what he does out of shield.
I'd think you main pokomon trainer...... and you can block a lot faster in this game, plus canceling of attacks is more evidence in this game then smash 4. And good, edge guarding is stupid. And you still have infitnie air dodges, just as long as you don't move in the air while you air odgde.

But i'll pass on larry for now. Instea, i'll just save all the games I won with my mains and study them as refrence if I ever get back into the losing streak rabbit hole I was digging for myself, yesterday.

If you are worthy enough, I wouldn't mind a 1v1 BA

Last edited:

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247

Definitely agree that not gaining GSP due to rage quitters might be one of the most stupid things ever

Sounds like you are tilted from QP. I am aswell. Hardstuck same rating always 50k behind the top. Just lost like 5k points yesterday and only gained 3k of it back

I wouldnt put too much importance on it though. A lot of stupid **** works online.

Last edited:

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Definitely agree that not gaining GSP due to rage quitters might be one of the most stupid things ever

Sounds like you are tilted from QP. I am aswell. Hardstuck same rating always 50k behind the top. Just lost like 5k points yesterday and only gained 3k of it back

I wouldnt put too much importance on it though. A lot of stupid **** works online.
Its actually comical that Nintendo made disconnects not give GSP, like as if GSP is even remotely valuable in any sense. "yeah man, we gotta protect the GSP ladder from cheating." Lets just make a completely idiot rating system, and then make it even more asinine by pretending that its meaningful. Just shows how absolutely arrogant and out of touch they are. They truly believe that they are gods gift to video game creation, and just refuse to take a lesson from the hundreds of other games that get it right.

and i have to make that conclusion since assuming that they are stupid just does not cut it. They clearly are not stupid, and they don't deserve the free pass of "stupidity".

Last edited:

J.I.L

Its actually comical that Nintendo made disconnects not give GSP, like as if GSP is even remotely valuable in any sense. "yeah man, we gotta protect the GSP ladder from cheating." Lets just make a completely idiot rating system, and then make it even more asinine by pretending that its meaningful. Just shows how absolutely arrogant and out of touch they are. They truly believe that they are gods gift to video game creation, and just refuse to take a lesson from the hundreds of other games that get it right.

and i have to make that conclusion since assuming that they are stupid just does not cut it. They clearly are not stupid, and they don't deserve the free pass of "stupidity".
Extremely arrogant. I don’t know what type of pathetic or misleading polling data they acquire, but it definitely sucked for this game. Who in their right minds thought it was smart to
A. Not allow elite smash players to get Ffa or team battles
B throw people with ffa and team battle ruleset into the same rules
C. Not allow player two name tags to be shown on co op mode.
D. Not allow a random selection in quickplay
E. Not separate rulesets with items and without.
F. Have a hap harzard battle data which doesn’t even take in data from co op battle.
G. Not have a co op on world of light
H. Have a pointless and pretty negligible mode of “back ground match making”
I. Not have a tournament mode online
These people rushed this game just to make quick bucks because they are so popular. This is like Disney and what they did to Star Wars. Just a complete disgrace. It’s like the developers only cared about making the game more competitive 1v1 and could give a squat about anything else. Because all I can get in elite smash is 1v1. Curse those disgraceful online developers. And Sakurai for giving this the okay. This is pathetic and the people who worked on this online should be ashamed of themselves for being such snake oil rats. Charging 20$ for this rushed and hap hazard garbage excuse of an online. Ridiculous.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
main reason why i do not put to much effort with getting into ES is cause all it offers is 1v1 matches..yeah sure i play them but i just enjoy FFA or team matches more, i will get bored easily if all i get is 1v1..no offense but to me they can get veeeeery boring if i play them to much >~>
and i don't think it's fun i should go on a losing streak to get out of ES just so i can play what i want with my fave characters..that's kinda stupid don't you think? :l

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
main reason why i do not put to much effort with getting into ES is cause all it offers is 1v1 matches..yeah sure i play them but i just enjoy FFA or team matches more, i will get bored easily if all i get is 1v1..no offense but to me they can get veeeeery boring if i play them to much >~>
and i don't think it's fun i should go on a losing streak to get out of ES just so i can play what i want with my fave characters..that's kinda stupid don't you think? :l
Instead of doing that, you could just go into a BA or make one.

J.I.L

Very boring. My main is deep in elite smash so getting him out just to get that isn’t an option. And BA is a joke as we all know. But of course ive found a way to manipulate the system to get what I want. When you click team battle, it’s most likely going to do cheese or waiting then just throwing you in 1v1. Block any players you see, after a few blocks the game won’t find you any elite smash players and just throw you into normal player base where you get TB and FFA. It’s risky though, because you then have to win at least 75% of your games just to maintain gsp. You gain only 300 gsp if you win, but lose like 2k when you lose.

Obviously once you’re done. Just unblock all of those players. That’s what I do. Try at least to do. If I remember. Lol.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Very boring. My main is deep in elite smash so getting him out just to get that isn’t an option. And BA is a joke as we all know. But of course ive found a way to manipulate the system to get what I want. When you click team battle, it’s most likely going to do cheese or waiting then just throwing you in 1v1. Block any players you see, after a few blocks the game won’t find you any elite smash players and just throw you into normal player base where you get TB and FFA. It’s risky though, because you then have to win at least 75% of your games just to maintain gsp. You gain only 300 gsp if you win, but lose like 2k when you lose.

Obviously once you’re done. Just unblock all of those players. That’s what I do. Try at least to do. If I remember. Lol.
I don't want es anymore. Not personally and not in the game.

Nintendo parsed TB and FFA (where the chance to get the "preferred" 1v1 was random and only if you were choosing ffa) since Brawl and now decide to pander to the competitive fans (rightly so) but in a way that's alienated it's players... I mean why not just make a 1v1 category? So much easier =and an obvious UPGRADE= over 4.

For Glory... Call it Ranked ... Choose between 1v1 tb or ffa. Items off hazards off custom stage select allowed and set to losers pick
ES and thresholds unnecessary, ranked is ranked.

For Fun... Battle Arenas! Where you can make lobbies for taunt parties, set up tournaments, host 8 man lobbies for king of the hill, everything you want to do can you imagine 8 man team home run contest? Hahaha that thing'd fly 10 million miles! Meh

J.I.L

I don't want es anymore. Not personally and not in the game.

Nintendo parsed TB and FFA (where the chance to get the "preferred" 1v1 was random and only if you were choosing ffa) since Brawl and now decide to pander to the competitive fans (rightly so) but in a way that's alienated it's players... I mean why not just make a 1v1 category? So much easier =and an obvious UPGRADE= over 4.

For Glory... Call it Ranked ... Choose between 1v1 tb or ffa. Items off hazards off custom stage select allowed and set to losers pick
ES and thresholds unnecessary, ranked is ranked.

For Fun... Battle Arenas! Where you can make lobbies for taunt parties, set up tournaments, host 8 man lobbies for king of the hill, everything you want to do can you imagine 8 man team home run contest? Hahaha that thing'd fly 10 million miles! Meh
I'm fine with that. Elite smash is basicaully a fusion of normal online and for glory hell back in smash 4. I'd know this because ive been sent to FG hell 15+ times. And exactly what I'm saying, it's like this game wanted online to be more competitive (which isn't bad as you said) but they executed it in the most pathetic way imaginable. I don't get it. How can people with such vast amount of resource, knoweldge and understanding produce something so garbage. It just behooves me.

Eh.... i'm not sure about making for fun just a BA. What for fun player wants to wait in those dumb lines? they should have 3 MODES of plyable online, ranked play, casual play then PARTY PLAY.

Party play can host stuff like home run bat competition, coin collection etc...... like other stuff that dosen't fit in mold of casual play/ranked play (I'd need more help in going over what stuff to add to this party play mode)

For casual play, I'd allow 1v1, TB and 4 player smash. I'd allow unlimited taunts and do away with rules such as targeting one player (if people want taunt parties on FFA in casual play....LET THEM! It's causal, who cares), I'd extend idling to 1 minute (instead of 30 seconds in smash 4) and obviously allow people to pick characters btween match. (but this time, i'd do what ultimate does which is say do you want to rematch, only this time instead of just yes or no, I'd give option of change character and you give you 30 seconds to decide on character). Plus i'd also have a preferred rule system in casual play. 1v1, TB and FFA would be guranteed modes but i'd allow preferred rules in those modes. I'd allow character to decide what items they want, if they want any, and if stages should have hazard (there'd be no BF and omega stages option but i'd allow the orginal BF or FD stage...get what I mean?)... These preferred rulesets would be by turns instead of it being random. And whoever turn it is, they also get to select stage hile oppnents wait in lobby room. For TB and FFA, I'd allow two options of either 3 minute time, or 5 minute 3 stock (i'd probably just hold a vote among my cabnet if we should make it 3 stock 5 min or 7 minutes). 1v1 casual play, it's by stock only but allow prferred rules on items or harzard (heck, i'd probably allow that thing where each stock you have can host differnt characters...though i'd have discussion with my cabnet if I want such a thing (I wouldn't even allow stamnia on...it's a pointless and unpopular mode...no need to put it in)

for ranked play, you would have 1v1, TB and FFA. No items. The only preferred rule options I'd have is if you want it to BF or omega stage. and for TB and FFA, if you want 3 stock or 3 minute. Stages would be random but preferred rules would be by turns still. So by random, you preferred rule would just get a random omega or BF stage, depending on which you preferred. No targeting one player, and idle play would be 30 seconds, sadly LIMITED taunts (I don't like it, but I don't want to enocurage a potnetial tuant party in RANKED play in like a FFA...though i'd allow 3 taunts to start instead of 2 and then if you kill someone you get an extra taunt) and i'd have to have help on how the ranking system should go. I'm not well versed on that stuff as you guys are. Any disconnects would make you lose gsp points and allow partner to win, regardless if your cpu wins or not. And also i'd allow a rage quit button, but not only would you lose gsp points, and partner gains it....you'd get 10 minute ban. I'd incorpate your guys' "point system" (for those who don't know, a "point" is simply how this smash forums admins way of saying you get a "strike" on your account for like bad conduct) by giving first time offenders a warning. then after 1 warning, issue the bans. If someone ragequits (via ragequit option)....you know what NVM. I wouldn't allow a ragequit option. There'd be no need. I thought about it, but I'd just get rid of BA. No need for them. If you want to train seriously, but not under stressful cirucmstances of ranked mode. Play with online friends, go to dsicord or play offline. Online play is not going to cater to such a redudant and small base of players.

But look at this my dude. TWO PEOPLE in the deep burrows of an online chat forum were able to come up with ideas that in theory are FAR BETTER then what nintendo people did. Now imagine if w just had billions of dollars and so many reousrces at our disposal. OUR ONLINE SYSTEM OWULD BE MAGNCIFECENT! I'd probably charge 50 dollars instead of 20 bucks, and a 25$ anual renewal. But I think many smash comrades would find it worth it, plus it'd still be cheaper then play station and Xbox. I literally never even thought about having a party mode until you said home run bat. I was like...that's a great idea. We should make a online mode where we allow wacky events like home bat and stuff.

UGH... how are two people able to come up with better ideas then nintendo!

Edit: I just thought about it. YOU CAN JUST HAVE BATTLE ARENA BE A FRIEND MODES. Your online friends set up a BA and you can just join it. THERE YOU GO! And your BA room can go on indefitnley. It won't close down. And it can hold up to 8 players like a NORMAL BA. If owner leaves, then the 2nd longest guy there take charge. And thereby making his BA only visible to his friends instead of the orginal owner. There'd be no back of the line anything. The only options to move your players are either in the line, or spectate. That's it. If you stay on the Battle arena, you'll be given 30 seconds to change character if you desire to.

Sighs...imagine how good this online system would be!

ANOTHER EDIT!: On the last weekend on the last month....i'd disable rankplay for like parts of friday until like sunday (I'd make the time universal based on japanese timeframe of course so maybe for americans it may be thursday to saturday) and just replace it with TOURNAMNET PLAY. AS A MATTER OF FACT, i'd disable ALL ONLINE play (except spectate, friends mode ) and just have touranment MODE (i'D do it so I can use like 60 hours for service maintance of the other online modes. I'd probably put in maintaince for friends mode/spectate 5 hours before or however long is neccessary before tounrnament play is on so those modes will be set once tounrament play is on). To qualify to play this tounramanet mode, you just need 5 GAMES of ranked play. THAT'S IT. Just play at least 5 games of ranked play and you are qualified for tournamanet mode. OKAY, what's tounramanet mode. for like 60 hours, I'd offer a bunch of 64 player tournaments where i'd host TB but mostly 1V1 tournaments! Okay, every round would be a best out of 3 until you get to semi finals and finals (just finals for Team Battle). Those would be best out of 5, which would be set on battle field stage or Final destination (before that, it'd just alpha or omega stages). I'd allow preferred rule system as well just like how I did in ranked play. I'd ranked the seedings based on who has the highest GSP/rank down to who has the lowest gsp/rank. Best out of 3, it'd go a 1-1-1 format. Meaning, top seed get his preferred rules first, then game 2 goes to bottom seed, then back to top seed. Obviously, in a 1v1 tourney format...preferred won't be that much of a big deal except if you want a BF or FD stage. semi finals and finals would be 2-2-1. 2 for top seed, two games for bttom seed, last game for top seed again. I'd allow you to change characters after every game, and whoever ruleset it lands on, that person get 45 seconds to pick a character whole his oppenet gets 30 seconds to pick a character. you get to see oppenets picked character if you wait the 30 seconds. if you don't pick, then you just get a random obviously. There's nothing to lose if you don't advance in tounrye and all to gain if you ahceive semi finals or finals in a tourney. I'd defitnly give big cookies if you can advance semi finals and finals in 1v1, give cookies if you can make finals in TB. For such a huge thing, i'd only host it 2 and half days a month.

My mouth waters at how hype this would be. THIS.....THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE things MORE compepetive online, Nintendo.

hm... it seems my theoretical online system has made just about this entire thread speechless. Interesting. My words so profound it silences the mouthes of all who lay eyes upon it.
Of course all of you know this online system in theory would far surpass the junkyard scraps they provided to us, now.
Just giving more evidence at how solemnly pathetic this effort was into making a game for online. A mere 19 year old who’s not even a gamer with the help of one other person came up with ideas that are far more exciting that even those who claim to enjoy this online system wouldn’t disagree with. Nintendo acted and is acting like a complete inept disgrace. Their online sucks like sweaty pig balls, that is final. Declared by J.I.L, no more discussion. Conversation has reached conclusion.

Last edited:

J.I.L

OH MY GOSH! I CAN'T PLAY ANY MEANINGFUL BATTLE ARENAS. Cause all of these BA owners are SOFT AS CHARMIN. The heck is THIS?! I'm trying to play a team battle, I go to the best BA has to offer which is glorious smasher or veteran player mode. I simply pick my lightweight main in ness and stomp everybody with mostly PK fire. I taunt a lot since BA allows it to add on when my team is kicking the others team butt....then when Im ready for another team... I KEEP GETTING BOOTED. As a matter of fact, I just sometimes get booted immediatly when I enter an arena room from some random loser I don't even reconiznge.....it's as if my represenation proceeds me (for that I take honor). Public BA is complete garbage full of medicore/average players.... people of complete infeioer skill level to me. That's why I taunt all the time even in the most "serious" arena rooms and I still win because most of thEse "vetetan players" OR " Glorious smahers" ARE A JOKE OF smash players. WE NEED PUBLIC ARENAS not private onwer arenas. To many soft owners.

How ridiclous. Stop being so AVERAGE and medicore and then worse of all, be a non compeittive inwardly soft person who boots out people because they SMACK AND DSICIPLINE YOU IN SMASH. It's like Battle Arena are a breeding ground for non compeititve people. I get privatley, like friends codes and stuff, but public owner BA....goodness. Grow a pair and stomp acting like.......children.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
OH MY GOSH! I CAN'T PLAY ANY MEANINGFUL BATTLE ARENAS. Cause all of these BA owners are SOFT AS CHARMIN. The heck is THIS?! I'm trying to play a team battle, I go to the best BA has to offer which is glorious smasher or veteran player mode. I simply pick my lightweight main in ness and stomp everybody with mostly PK fire. I taunt a lot since BA allows it to add on when my team is kicking the others team butt....then when Im ready for another team... I KEEP GETTING BOOTED. As a matter of fact, I just sometimes get booted immediatly when I enter an arena room from some random loser I don't even reconiznge.....it's as if my represenation proceeds me (for that I take honor). Public BA is complete garbage full of medicore/average players.... people of complete infeioer skill level to me. That's why I taunt all the time even in the most "serious" arena rooms and I still win because most of thEse "vetetan players" OR " Glorious smahers" ARE A JOKE OF smash players. WE NEED PUBLIC ARENAS not private onwer arenas. To many soft owners.

How ridiclous. Stop being so AVERAGE and medicore and then worse of all, be a non compeittive inwardly soft person who boots out people because they SMACK AND DSICIPLINE YOU IN SMASH. It's like Battle Arena are a breeding ground for non compeititve people. I get privatley, like friends codes and stuff, but public owner BA....goodness. Grow a pair and stomp acting like.......children.
unless you got replays to back it up i will ignore most of the bragging sentences in this reply >~>
meh moving on, it is why i don't play in BA, cause i like to taunt after each kill, always did and always will but i know there are people out there who somehow dislike that, and when it comes to winning, people just don't like losing, isn't that obvious by now? xD
BA can be like chat groups with admin abusers..whenever they dislike you or you do things they don't like, they kick you simple as that!
but in your case i think it's your reputation with why you are getting kicked randomly..if i were you i would tone it down cause for real..the stories you told with the stuff you do online i can honestly not blame anyone for kicking you. in all honesty i would even kick you if i created a BA that you ended up entering.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Best way not to get booted is to first find one where you barely win or lose but lose knowing the win was within reach

And don't disrespect the spirit of the room.

If everyone's taunting do so.

If it's obviously a competitive match, respect that and play your best.

Protip spamming anything you will lose to a truly good player. Lag is the only john I can abide except a good online player uses lag for frame perfect inputs.

J.I.L

unless you got replays to back it up i will ignore most of the bragging sentences in this reply >~>
meh moving on, it is why i don't play in BA, cause i like to taunt after each kill, always did and always will but i know there are people out there who somehow dislike that, and when it comes to winning, people just don't like losing, isn't that obvious by now? xD
BA can be like chat groups with admin abusers..whenever they dislike you or you do things they don't like, they kick you simple as that!
but in your case i think it's your reputation with why you are getting kicked randomly..if i were you i would tone it down cause for real..the stories you told with the stuff you do online i can honestly not blame anyone for kicking you. in all honesty i would even kick you if i created a BA that you ended up entering.
You know if I had an SD card, you would have seen all the replays of my skill level your reason requires...it's just I don't have one so I can't connect them from the game over here.
I don't like losing either, but it's BATTLE ARENA bro....calm down (not talking to you...but people you are referring to). Like...no gsp, no rank....like relax. It's not that big of a deal to where you need to boot people. But what you say is unfortunatly true. The rooms I went where I got immediatly booted didn't have chat option, and had like 6 people in it....and I was booted by someone I didn't even reconiginze.
Okay, I don't even do anything that bad anymore. Those cheese rulesets of 100 stamnia, turns out I lost a lot of gsp doing that shennigans for falco and lemmy (it kept working for ness though.... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL) so I decided to discontinue or use it less frequently. I don't use it in elite smash anymore for sure. I just went back to my smash 4 FG ruleset which has been working well.
The stories I tell here, BTW, should have no barring on what happens online since I doubt this forum attracts that much of an audience and B. My name "J.I.L" is not my smash tag online so I doubt people could connect the dots (though I have appeared on youtube vid called "For glory hell is real"
). It's just owners being soft and big babies. And I doubt you'd kick me because you wouldn't know its me and you say you don't have a problem with people taunting....or are you just one of those people who taunt at others but can't take it.....hm...coolboy?

Sucumbio Sucumbio That's dumb... your adivce isn't dumb...it's just dumb that your advice is the best advice! Why do I have to hold back on so called "veteran players and glorious smashers" just to appease soft/average owners?

I get the spirit of room. I do. When I sit up my playground, I just boot the tryhards who want to fight and disrupt the peace....but IT'S GLORIOUS SMASH/vet players. I know you're going to say "if no one else taunts, then you shouldn't eiher. People are trying to improve seriously on team work or their 1v1" but I WIN. It's not like I taunt then got body. I taunt while Im winning and then I get BOOTED. It's not fair! And if I played my absloutley concentrated best, I wouldn't lose, and how I play my best is I have to do some form of taunt or teabag. It gets me excitied and focused, anyway (USUALLY.... sometimes I don't....depends on mood and if player dies quickly and come back fast).

Those "truly good players" don't live in Battle arenas. At least from my expirence. In quickplay, yeah, you really do have some god of detrcution level players in their that can stomp. Irionically, those type of player would get the boot in many BA rooms. (I guess i'm being too harsh, 1v1 serious BA owners tend to be really good now that I think about it. As long as you show yourself worthy... they allow you stay in room, even if you are like the only one who taunts and tea bag...... it's just these TB people.....maybe TB just isn't compeititve in BA)

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah if you’re winning that easily then it’s the wrong room but of course finding the good rooms like I described is difficult.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
If you're winning that easily (which I doubt) then go to tournaments. And who said that if you're a good player then you can't get move spammed. If the person who move spams knows how people are going to react it doesn't matter how "good" you are

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If you're winning that easily (which I doubt) then go to tournaments. And who said that if you're a good player then you can't get move spammed. If the person who move spams knows how people are going to react it doesn't matter how "good" you are
Nothing says a player can't get spammed. But a player who fails to correctly defend against and punish a spammer isn't actually that good, at least by competitive standards.

J.I.L

The mod is generally right, if you are a really competitive player, spamming moves generally shouldn’t be able to eliminate you in tourney setting. And the reason I don’t go to tournaments is because I’m going to get heckled and rooted against because of my antics and play style. It’s inevitable. So I don’t bother, plus I’m not good enough to where I can win those things. Compete, can I. Succeeding, can I not. I’ve done some prototype of the tournament in my college smash club. What usually happens is I sweep like the first 3 or 4 rounds, then I just run into this crazy dude who figures me out and go on to utterly discipline and embarrass me in a quick sweep. It’s what I think would happen in a regular tourney.

LimewireSSB

Smash Rookie
The mod is generally right, if you are a really competitive player, spamming moves generally shouldn’t be able to eliminate you in tourney setting. And the reason I don’t go to tournaments is because I’m going to get heckled and rooted against because of my antics and play style. It’s inevitable. So I don’t bother, plus I’m not good enough to where I can win those things. Compete, can I. Succeeding, can I not. I’ve done some prototype of the tournament in my college smash club. What usually happens is I sweep like the first 3 or 4 rounds, then I just run into this crazy dude who figures me out and go on to utterly discipline and embarrass me in a quick sweep. It’s what I think would happen in a regular tourney.
Is there an issue you have with the whole "I just run into this crazy dude who figures me out and go on to utterly discipline and embarrass me in a quick sweep," part? It seems like there's something to be learned in that case besides, "I'm not cut out for this at all."

J.I.L

Is there an issue you have with the whole "I just run into this crazy dude who figures me out and go on to utterly discipline and embarrass me in a quick sweep," part? It seems like there's something to be learned in that case besides, "I'm not cut out for this at all."
Did you not read the "heckled and rooted against"? I teabag and taunt, and have a very campy/spammy playstyle. And when I see my oppenent getting roasted by my playstyle, it takes alot of will power for me not to fall on floor laughing (lol... remember the times my eyes got teary looking at my oppennt looking absltuley miserable...teary because of restrained laughter... LOOOOOOOOOOL) when I win. Then when I lose, I want to break everything on sight and yell about how that person just picked a cheap character and used little skill.

Point is, my emotions would have to be greatly tempered, and some of those emotions help me play at my best. So that's why (or one of the reason why) I don't do a tourney.

J.I.L

How about those online battlefield disgusting swamp-monster snakes. Those are a beauty. Just sit under platforms and throw grenades, and spam up tilt A or barrel row and there’s nothing you can do because my F-ING movement is limited ON THAT STUPID STAGE.my ness AND FALCO both loss to him. Ness PK spam, or falco reflector and laser.....NOTHING. You know why? Because battlefield snake is just a PURE SWAMP CREATURE. His level of cheapness and unfair advantage via stage is just disgusting. And people swear up and down that the acquisition of BF to competitive online was an good addition. Utterly ridiculous. NERF SNAKE, and BAN BATTLEFIELD from 1v1! Then maybe online system may upgrade from SEWAGE LEVEL to toilet level!

(Please don’t add this to my previous comment, it has nothing to do with it and it’s not my fault users have disappeared from this thread for the past 3 days...I shouldn’t be punished for double posting!)

Edit: LETS GOOOOOOOOO! Played a snake on normal omega stage with falco, and he got WRECKED. As it SHOULD BE. This snake could not hide in his swamp layers and throw grenades. He had to play his swamp style in the open and got his butt handed. I basically 3 stocked him, (he killed me when he had 120% on his last stock and I just koed, without damage taken when I came back). If snakes didn’t have their little BF swamp camp, they would be OBESOLETE ONLINE. Hahahah!

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
who the **** thought it was a good idea to add smash meters in QP like really? smash ball is ok but smash meters..whoever thought of this deserves a slap in the face..i never liked smash meters but now i am forced into that too?! Stamina & smash meters are my biggest dislikes so a match with them will be a auto ragequit cause i am not putting up with that crap anymore, smash does a great job when it comes to me hating it and there will come a point i will literally stop playing it forever and play other games..alot of good games are coming for the switch soooooo if Smash continues to frustrate me like this, then Smash will be dead to me pretty quick,

i hate having to ragequit it's not my style but i rather keep my cool instead of getting annoyed and frustrated,

J.I.L

who the **** thought it was a good idea to add smash meters in QP like really? smash ball is ok but smash meters..whoever thought of this deserves a slap in the face..i never liked smash meters but now i am forced into that too?! Stamina & smash meters are my biggest dislikes so a match with them will be a auto ragequit cause i am not putting up with that crap anymore, smash does a great job when it comes to me hating it and there will come a point i will literally stop playing it forever and play other games..alot of good games are coming for the switch soooooo if Smash continues to frustrate me like this, then Smash will be dead to me pretty quick,

i hate having to ragequit it's not my style but i rather keep my cool instead of getting annoyed and frustrated,
I actually like smash meter. What’s wrong with it?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Try having a decent internet instead of stealing your moms, the internet is fine if you arent on aol.

Also matchmaking has been fine as well, because im going to heaven.

Last edited:

J.I.L

Try having a decent internet instead of stealing your moms, the internet is fine if you arent on aol.

Also matchmaking has been fine as well, because im going to heaven.
Don’t know who the heck you’re replying to but those aren’t the reason why we deem this online as a joke. The problem is the dumb preferred rule system that throws people into games they don’t want to be in... as well as gsp being kinda.... faulty for a rank system.

But I’ve noticed there is a huge “meta” of people on this forum that more so like to talk about additions of new characters or what characters can join the game instead of focusing on more prevalent issues of HOW IS SMASH GOING TO IMRPOVE THEIR GARBAGE ONLINE SYSTEM!?

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
I actually like smash meter. What’s wrong with it?
just my personal preference and well it's fine and all if i don't have to play it, but they added it and the matchmaking forces me to play with it..then of course i am not going to react rational....that's my point, if i didn't had to play it then idc at all about it being added but sadly we all know how matchmaking works -.-

J.I.L

just my personal preference and well it's fine and all if i don't have to play it, but they added it and the matchmaking forces me to play with it..then of course i am not going to react rational....that's my point, if i didn't had to play it then idc at all about it being added but sadly we all know how matchmaking works -.-
But you like playing with items, I just don’t get what would make such a difference if you added smash meter.

But regardless, you’re right. Shouldn’t be forced to play something You didn’t ask for. Quickplay really is getting old. Even I am starting, albeit slowly, getting weary of it. It’s just such a garbage system... only so much my love for smash can override it’s patheticness of an mode. An battle arena doesn’t have much going for it either. I soon may quit this game too if it doesn’t pick up slack.

GhostM

Phantom
I’ve decided to fork out some time and actually play the online mode, but I noticed many things that just felt off and wrong about it. The first thing about Ultimate’s online that doesn’t make sense is the fact that you are paired up by people with your preferred ruleset rather than just a generic ruleset for everyone. I feel like Smash 4 did it correct where if people wanted to play a serious 1-on-1 or just play casually, there’s a generic mode for them to click and be paired with others who also chose that mode. Sometimes I’m paired up with people who have similar rulesets as me but have rules such as 1 stock with items on and that’s not fun for me at all. I know they patched it to make it better to make it more consistent, but there will be times where it is inconsistent.

Second thing is that GSP is completely useless because it doesn’t show your true rank. Not only that but it doesn’t even match you up with people of similar GSP. I’m constantly getting matched up with people who have lower GSP than me, but rarely would I ever be matched up with people who have similar GSP. Another thing similar to GSP is how you have to rank up every single character into elite smash just to use multiple characters. Why not just make it so you can play with any character? Even if you decide to grind out multiple characters, it makes it feel like losing with a character sets you back more rather than advancing, which discourages online play heavily.

The final thing is about rematching. Due to how GSP makes it feel like losing sets you back more, it discourages people from rematching because of fear of losing. It sets this atmosphere where people play to lose/win, and just quit before the next match which doesn’t help the online mode at all. That’s like playing one game at a smash tournament and calling it a day, where the people aren’t given enough time to adapt to their opponents and make a possible comeback.

Also the fact that you have to fork out $20 just to get a lan cable to connect to Ethernet to maintain a stable connection. Seriously, why not just include an Ethernet port in?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'll never understand why people simultaeneously berate GSP for not being a proper competitive ranked system, yet at the same time want other players to treat the games like casual friendlies. GhostM GhostM , how do you expect skill matchmaking to be accurate when you have next to no games logged in? All ranking systems need you to play several games before things get stable. And very few competitive online games allow rematches in the first place.

Arenas are your best bet for avoiding ranked anxiety, but remember that it's just as impossible to guarantee rematches with randoms here as it was in Smash 4. Like it or not, some of these "online issues" are rooted in the behaviour and tastes of players that no amount of fiddling from the devs can change, short of controlling it at all times with an iron fist.

J.I.L

I'll never understand why people simultaeneously berate GSP for not being a proper competitive ranked system, yet at the same time want other players to treat the games like casual friendlies. GhostM GhostM , how do you expect skill matchmaking to be accurate when you have next to no games logged in? All ranking systems need you to play several games before things get stable. And very few competitive online games allow rematches in the first place.

Arenas are your best bet for avoiding ranked anxiety, but remember that it's just as impossible to guarantee rematches with randoms here as it was in Smash 4. Like it or not, some of these "online issues" are rooted in the behaviour and tastes of players that no amount of fiddling from the devs can change, short of controlling it at all times with an iron fist.
Why can’t the “devs” just do my online system template I laid out a few comments ago? Do you think people would complain as much?

GhostM

Phantom

It is true that GSP can somewhat become more accurate as you rise into the millions and eventually into elite smash, but GSP is still flawed nonetheless. Because of the fact that there aren’t any separate modes, both casual and competitive players are clustered together because of GSP. The whole point of a rank is to show you exactly how good you are, but GSP displays it in a really unfriendly way. Instead of showing you exactly how good you are out of everyone who plays competitively, it only shows you how better you are than other players. Sure you can have 1.5M GSP and be better than 1.5M players, but it will not display how good are you compared to everyone online, like other ranked systems. How can you improve if you don’t even know your exact placement? Also the fact that casual players who don’t play smash competitively are added to your GSP rank, further throwing off your actual placement since it’s adding players that shouldn’t be there. These players don’t play competitively but rather for fun. Not sure why there’s no separate modes for both casual and competitive players, but Smash 4 can get that right. With an actual ranking system based upon MMR or ELO, there would be multiple ranks instead of one which is elite smash. These systems base ranks upon points, which determine your placement. It would solve problems obtaining elite smash later on in Ultimates lifecycle, for those players above average who want a challenge. It’s not fun grinding GSP for a long time just to finally achieve the only rank of elite smash to lose the match and your elite smash.

J.I.L

It is true that GSP can somewhat become more accurate as you rise into the millions and eventually into elite smash, but GSP is still flawed nonetheless. Because of the fact that there aren’t any separate modes, both casual and competitive players are clustered together because of GSP. The whole point of a rank is to show you exactly how good you are, but GSP displays it in a really unfriendly way. Instead of showing you exactly how good you are out of everyone who plays competitively, it only shows you how better you are than other players. Sure you can have 1.5M GSP and be better than 1.5M players, but it will not display how good are you compared to everyone online, like other ranked systems. How can you improve if you don’t even know your exact placement? Also the fact that casual players who don’t play smash competitively are added to your GSP rank, further throwing off your actual placement since it’s adding players that shouldn’t be there. These players don’t play competitively but rather for fun. Not sure why there’s no separate modes for both casual and competitive players, but Smash 4 can get that right. With an actual ranking system based upon MMR or ELO, there would be multiple ranks instead of one which is elite smash. These systems base ranks upon points, which determine your placement. It would solve problems obtaining elite smash later on in Ultimates lifecycle, for those players above average who want a challenge. It’s not fun grinding GSP for a long time just to finally achieve the only rank of elite smash to lose the match and your elite smash.
It actually can be quite fun grinding gsp if you’re good at it. With a gsp of 4.9 mil, I strive to be the best there is in gsp world.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh I'm sorry, the tone of your last post implied you resented the fact that there's a ranking system at all discouraging players from rematching, which would happen even if it was a "normal" system. And I don't give a toss about how accurately a number reflects how I'd do in a tournament, not only because even the best latency conditions will always be off compared to them, but because a theoretical dedicated competitive mode will never be able to consistently replicate tourney matches with randoms. Good luck succeeding when you only know how to play on Battlefield or Final Destination. All I care about is that GSP gives me consistently engaging matches instead of the c***shoot that was For Glory (but you're welcome to use arenas if you want to play that way). I can feel this in matches without looking at a silly number I only see at the end of a match, and that's what you should be focusing on if your goal is to improve. If you need a number or letter to tell you how good you are beyond a rough approximation, then at best you're committed to climbing an online ladder and nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom