• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is online in this game so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelmullet

Smash Apprentice
If they'd lower the poly count or something for online only, or even make it an option, so that the online has less input lag that'd be great.

Also, if the 50/50 screen lag advantage would screw off that'd be a godsend. Gotta love being 1 second behind your opponent the entire match with 1.5 second of input delay.

It's like watching a movie.

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
online in ultimate simply put is terrible. the fact that this hasn't yet been fixed is so annoying. the worst part is that literally every other game's online on the switch operates just fine. splatoon 2's online is amazing. mario kart 8 deluxe's online operates near flawlessly. how could they possibly botch ultimate so badly? it's sh*t compared to sm4sh, and that game still had a very sh*tty online.

i have made so many posts justifiably complaining about how i am forced into casual matches. most people were with some of the early updates, but it still happens to me very frequently despite my preferred rules not only being turned on but also saying 1v1, 3 stock, final destination, no items. it was so bad that i actually ran a study on my own free time to find out percentages out of 100 games.

well, with no fix coming any time soon, i think i should just give up hope on the game. nintendo has kept it f*cked up for long enough. there's only one thing i can do now. i'm going to get into contact with an old friend from game club, brush off the old game cube, learn melee, possibly pick up a new main since ness is crap in that game, and play at least until the end of ultimate's days. hopefully its lack of presence at e3 doesn't kill it.

Last edited:

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
Either that's a troll post or you're also part of the problem. You complain so much about the situation of online, yet indulge in it yourself. So you really don't have a reason to complain.
Induluge? Interesting choice of words. But I’m actually apart of the solution. I simply showcase just how stupid the online is, playing 1 stock 300 stamina with items against ness is infuriating to anyone. Then those, who claim to like this online system even, will demand things be done.
Coolboy Coolboy yeah, no one likes a cheap inkling, Zelda, richter, campy snake, back air spamming chairzard.guess what? Who cares? They are still there and wreck people. Blame Nintendo for making character more cheap and hurting defense.
It’s not just me. Look at this thread dude. Mostly everyone thinks this online game is a piece of trash.
Xquirtle Xquirtle dont flatter yourself. I’d be surprised if you could even beat my ness, less falco and my actual best character. You’d just click B with a giant L and gsp loss after the match.
Sans3546 Sans3546 100 facts only my dude. The less people unwilling to renew contract with piece of garbage system, the better. And I thought it was ultimate online devolpers fault and. It even Nintendo. I don’t even understand why they undid a lot of good stuff smash 4 did with its online. It’s completly unacceptable. And they aren’t fixing bleep.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Either that's a troll post or you're also part of the problem. You complain so much about the situation of online, yet indulge in it yourself. So you really don't have a reason to complain.
Its pretty obvious that he's trolling like 50% of the time,, but he keeps conversations moving so I can live with that.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
well users including me and him ****post to be ***** but on reddit and gamefaqs I see people who act like assholes by saying "lol $20 is too much, u poor child" so we rant about online to take our anger out on everyone

J.I.L

well users including me and him ****post to be ***** but on reddit and gamefaqs I see people who act like ******** by saying "lol $20 is too much, u poor child" so we rant about online to take our anger out on everyone
Exactly, and your protest is very appcriated (to me at least). But I even take it a next step by exploiting these rules to showcase just how stupid it is. Once I get my ness in elite smash, I change my preferred rules to 1v1 - 1 stock 300 stamnia with smash ball, pokmon and assist trophies. Omega stage. When I first started doing this, I felt guilty but I don't anymore. The only way nintendo is going to change is if there's a large outcry, and putting in stupid rulesets to make people miserable so they eventually direct their anger, just like We've done, at how STUPID this online system is - the better.

edit: it's ridiclous ly halirious when I win. HAHAHAHAHAH. Seeing my oppenet get KOed via stamnia (provbably by items) is harlious.
Though it's incredibly annoying when I lose on my own rulesets. Annoying players, STOP STEALING MY ITEMS. I GOT THE RULESETS, ALL THE ITEMS should be MINE! And you just sit back and take m item barrages with PK spam as I laugh crying at you character getting lit up! LOOL

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Exactly, and your protest is very appcriated (to me at least). But I even take it a next step by exploiting these rules to showcase just how stupid it is. Once I get my ness in elite smash, I change my preferred rules to 1v1 - 1 stock 300 stamnia with smash ball, pokmon and assist trophies. Omega stage. When I first started doing this, I felt guilty but I don't anymore. The only way nintendo is going to change is if there's a large outcry, and putting in stupid rulesets to make people miserable so they eventually direct their anger, just like We've done, at how STUPID this online system is - the better.

edit: it's ridiclous ly halirious when I win. HAHAHAHAHAH. Seeing my oppenet get KOed via stamnia (provbably by items) is harlious.
Though it's incredibly annoying when I lose on my own rulesets. Annoying players, STOP STEALING MY ITEMS. I GOT THE RULESETS, ALL THE ITEMS should be MINE! And you just sit back and take m item barrages with PK spam as I laugh crying at you character getting lit up! LOOL
LMFAO wow... like i said before i think it's time for you to find other hobbies my dude xD
not denying that online is **** but some of you people literally make it your life mission to focus only on that..that's just to overreacting as if you have nothing better to do :o
i know if i had it with smash online i might complain about it but afterwards i will focus on my other hobbies cause meh why would i take a game to seriously?
you are really being a manchild atm ''cause my online experiences sucks everyone else should suffer too!'' don't you realize how lame this sounds? :p

J.I.L

LMFAO wow... like i said before i think it's time for you to find other hobbies my dude xD
not denying that online is **** but some of you people literally make it your life mission to focus only on that..that's just to overreacting as if you have nothing better to do :o
i know if i had it with smash online i might complain about it but afterwards i will focus on my other hobbies cause meh why would i take a game to seriously?
you are really being a manchild atm ''cause my online experiences sucks everyone else should suffer too!'' don't you realize how lame this sounds? :p
You're right. I won't complain about this online system as much anymore, I'm still doing what I do with ness though. It's too harlious. LOOOOOL.

Last edited:

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
Honestly I would be completely fine if they spent the next update on fixing quick play, bringing back For Glory, or getting better servers

D

Deleted member

I thought the online is peer to peer? So they don't have servers.

I did mention that as of 3.0 they quietly made a fix to Quickplay, allowing team members to change randomly like in Smash 4. Previous to that, team members would never change, so if you ended up opposite a really good/annoying player or had a crap teammate, someone would have to leave to shake things up. I am crossing my fingers that one of the remaining four updates (or a different one) will revamp online entirely though.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
I thought the online is peer to peer? So they don't have servers.

I did mention that as of 3.0 they quietly made a fix to Quickplay, allowing team members to change randomly like in Smash 4. Previous to that, team members would never change, so if you ended up opposite a really good/annoying player or had a crap teammate, someone would have to leave to shake things up. I am crossing my fingers that one of the remaining four updates (or a different one) will revamp online entirely though.
They have to have servers because how else would everyone trying to download Joker not let you get into the eShop or anything online

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
They have to have servers because how else would everyone trying to download Joker not let you get into the eShop or anything online
Well like the online player vs player games are peer to peer. Thats a known fact. but... p2p doesn't have to be bad. There are plenty of examples where it works, or at least works much better than ulti. Ulti has trash p2p, but the issue is mainly the trash part and not the p2p part. Servers would probably still be better, but why would nintendo invest in the best selling fighting game of all time? Its already sold Kappa.

Last edited:

HeavyMaster

Smash Cadet
There are a lot of things wrong with the online, but what bothers me the most is the fact that there is only Elite Smash/Quickplay (which means only ranked), so the only way to play unranked (except for Co-op online) is to go to battle arenas, in which you have to wait for your turn most of the time. I would love to get into a free for all or team battle (or even sometimes a 1v1 in which i want to try a new character) in quickplay without worrying about my rank.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I stopped playing Elite Smash at around 2.8 million GSP, and for some reason, my gsp has increased to 4.7 million, and like I said, i stopped playing Elite Smash WAY before that. So now i can't play quickplay because i'm not at that level.

The best online experience i had were in arenas, since whatever happens, it doesn't increase of decrease your GSP, and I can actually try new characters without fear of getting 3 stocked by someone who plays their main on Quickplay, and I can actually understand what I could have done better and improving.

Last edited:

J.I.L

I wouldn't know I've never played Brawl online
It’s basically Battle arena playground mode but obviously without the wait and soft owners kicking you out. And if you don’t get enough players, the game imputes cpu into online. Brawl online was classic.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
It’s basically Battle arena playground mode but obviously without the wait and soft owners kicking you out. And if you don’t get enough players, the game imputes cpu into online. Brawl online was classic.
Aren't those servers still available? For whatever reason

J.I.L

Aren't those servers still available? For whatever reason
Brawls online got discontinued years ago. Their servers going dow. Was actually the reason I got smash 4. It’s only an matter of time before smash 4 servers go down as well.

And don’t mean to be intrusive, but why do you have a pic of Spider-Man but call yourself shadow the hedgehog?

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
Brawls online got discontinued years ago. Their servers going dow. Was actually the reason I got smash 4. It’s only an matter of time before smash 4 servers go down as well.

And don’t mean to be intrusive, but why do you have a pic of Spider-Man but call yourself shadow the hedgehog?
I need to change either my profile picture or my name but I'll do both

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
100 facts only my dude. The less people unwilling to renew contract with piece of garbage system, the better. And I thought it was ultimate online devolpers fault and. It even Nintendo. I don’t even understand why they undid a lot of good stuff smash 4 did with its online. It’s completly unacceptable. And they aren’t fixing bleep.
i don't really understand what half of this post means. all i picked up on was that you don't understand why nintendo undid most of the things that made smash 4's system decent. what i do know is that smash ultimate has a failing online system. there are so many videos out there of online lagging, disconnecting users, robbing users of gsp, et cetera. like seriously, check this video for instance. not only is the online lagging like crazy, but it shows how badly games can go when users use troll rule sets. way to set the example, alpharad.

Last edited:

J.I.L

i don't really understand what half of this post means. all i picked up on was that you don't understand why nintendo undid most of the things that made smash 4's system decent. what i do know is that smash ultimate has a failing online system. there are so many videos out there of online lagging, disconnecting users, robbing users of gsp, et cetera. like seriously, check this video for instance. not only is the online lagging like crazy, but it shows how badly games can go when users use troll rule sets. way to set the example, alpharad.
Their 1v1 system is good. But yeah their online system isn’t good. I wish they’d allow you to freely play other modes apart from 1v1 once you get elite smash.

And what I said “100% facts only dude. And I thought it was smash ultimate online devolpers fault for the bad online and not Nintendo.”

D

Deleted member

By the way....if you go back and read even the first page of this thread, people sum up pretty well all of the issues with the online. And they recognized it immediately, day one. It's been nearly six months and I only know of one single change.....makes me wonder if Sakurai and dev team are just ignorant or if they don't care, or both.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
By the way....if you go back and read even the first page of this thread, people sum up pretty well all of the issues with the online. And they recognized it immediately, day one. It's been nearly six months and I only know of one single change.....makes me wonder if Sakurai and dev team are just ignorant or if they don't care, or both.
And this is why Smash Flash 2 is better in my opinion

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Most likely ignorant. All sales metrics suggest that the game is really good. I highly doubt its anything but pats on the back for Sakurai.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Most likely ignorant. All sales metrics suggest that the game is really good. I highly doubt its anything but pats on the back for Sakurai.
Even if they are aware, I doubt improving the Online is a priority for them at this point. The game's been sold, and the bottom line is most people who bought the game are gonna keep consuming their product regardless of how ****ty the Online is and I think they know that.

Last edited:

J.I.L

@Mewtwo
Ze Diglett Ze Diglett
Xquirtle Xquirtle
ShadowTheHedgehogZ ShadowTheHedgehogZ
I hope none of you are right, and Nintendo has more respect for themselves by secretly working on dramatically improving online. No people who really care about their fans either act ignorant to problem at hand or simply neglect it because they think they own us (VIA... we will always come back for more).

Companies who do that, will fall..... sooner or later.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Well I know they have made the ruleset work a lot more then when I first tried it back on December. As in it giving your the preferred matches you want. It's kind of 50/50 or 60/40 for me now. 60 being what I want. So that's better then what it was beforehand. I crap on online, but I will give them that at least.

And also team battle now switches up teammates now thankfully. Before you would always get the same person. So it was good when you had a decent fighter but super annoying when your teammate was megabad and stealing your stocks cause they just kept eating the bottom stage.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
@Mewtwo
Ze Diglett Ze Diglett
Xquirtle Xquirtle
ShadowTheHedgehogZ ShadowTheHedgehogZ
I hope none of you are right, and Nintendo has more respect for themselves by secretly working on dramatically improving online. No people who really care about their fans either act ignorant to problem at hand or simply neglect it because they think they own us (VIA... we will always come back for more).

It was recently confirmed that Mario Maker 2 won't support friends online. It's time for us to stop paying for online because this is unacceptable.

But it seems like no one wants to listen to me.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's totally not because people still want to play the game. The few people that will boycott will pale in comparison to the hundreds of kids who don't realize what they're missing anyway.

J.I.L

Yeah it's totally not because people still want to play the game. The few people that will boycott will pale in comparison to the hundreds of kids who don't realize what they're missing anyway.
That doesn’t concern you. Crazy hand is right, if ultimate online continues to be trash at the end of contract, I’ll heavily think about not renewing it. Nintendo and smash must do better with their online, regardless of what oblivious children think.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Bro, but you and I are two people out of hundreds of kids. Kids will (and should) always be their primary target audience. Not adults and teens who will or have other hobbies and responsibilities. I don't play games as often or buy as many games as I used to when I was kid.

I understand your frustrations, as we all share them here. But us boycotting it won't change anything. The rush of children and others who don't care are going to make anything we would boycott pointless. Sure we can not subscribe and not play online anymore, but they'd still make a huge profit where we would slip through the crack.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Well maybe it's not a big deal to you (I don't really plan to get super mario maker so I don't give a ****) but it continues the indication that Nintendo will not improve their online

Bro, but you and I are two people out of hundreds of kids. Kids will (and should) always be their primary target audience. Not adults and teens who will or have other hobbies and responsibilities. I don't play games as often or buy as many games as I used to when I was kid.

I understand your frustrations, as we all share them here. But us boycotting it won't change anything. The rush of children and others who don't care are going to make anything we would boycott pointless. Sure we can not subscribe and not play online anymore, but they'd still make a huge profit where we would slip through the crack.
Well I bet that boycotting won't change anything. I have the feeling that everyone could refuse to subscribe and write a letter to Nintendo telling them to fix everything we have an issue with and they wouldn't read our messages. They would just say ""oh, people don't like online".

Nintendo just does these kinds of things because they like to be different. Well the things that make them different aren't in a good way.

Last edited:

J.I.L

This game isn’t even good for kids. Why would you punish people who side air dodge? A child wouldn’t get that. Why do they punish dodge rolling? That’s annoying to a child.how is making customizable online rulesets more kid friendly then simply making standard rule set online modes like they did in 4? How is world of light only being single player and using complicated spirits supposed to be child friendly? Why is having a gsp system in your face supposed to help enorucage children? I get that you’re saying we aren’t the target audience so our complaints don’t mean as much as like soccer moms calling the Nintendo people to complain about whatever... but It’s not just us. Mostly everyone thinks their online is trash. They got to fix it. And if it continues to stay trashy, Nintendo will lose out online. And why does that ze diglet person go out of his way to like any and all comments that disagree with me?

(Huge tangent... just skip this paragraph)
Did you not like how I play online? I’ll repeat it again, diglet.
After mostly every stock I take on 1v1, I teabag.
I spam ness is pk fire or falco laser on the edge of an Fd stage.
When I get ness into elite smash, I change my ruleset to 300 stamina, items, 1v1 1 stock. When he isn’t in elite smash its100 stamina 1 stock 1v1 no items. I just do pk spam and when oppents lifeless is getting burned up after I just koed it in stamina, i teabag more as I’m crying laughing at the tv. I click rematch, I see the person want for another go round, I leave the room so I risk don’t get getting exposed in normal rulesets with my ness. and I don’t feel that much shame in doing it. It’s funny and I’m just using what the game offers. And hopefully this harlious online philosophy becomes mainstream. Any guest who read this, DO IT. Make the most whacky rules on quick play. Trust me, if you win... it’s the most funny thing in the world. It’ll help you appcriate this online system a little bit more.

(Tangent ends)

Yeah but I get what you mean dude. It won’t make a difference and I doubt I’ll honestly have the heart to not renew contract. I just like smash to much. I guess you can say I one of those sucker fans that’ll continue to support Nintendo even if they make garbage products. I just hope they dramatically improve online. It’d make thousands of fans happy.

Last edited:

Steelmullet

Smash Apprentice
I've said this before, but the screen lag online (not input lag) is soo bad. I recorded a match live then played my replay for a side by side comparison. What a difference between the two. I thought the Pichu I was playing was teleporting. Note, I'm using the switch not a monitor.

J.I.L

3.1 update character changes for the most part was good. My bowser jr main got buffed,
pichu and wolf got nerfed. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. Good work Nintendo, you're slowly starting to imporve yourself. Though I don't know why cheap characters like roslina got buff and cheap characters like ricther and inkling didn't get nerfed but whatever. Here's the link of zero going over everything. It's pretty long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc5Bx3t5phw

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
3.1 update character changes for the most part was good. My bowser jr main got buffed,
pichu and wolf got nerfed. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. Good work Nintendo, you're slowly starting to imporve yourself. Though I don't know why cheap characters like roslina got buff and cheap characters like ricther and inkling didn't get nerfed but whatever. Here's the link of zero going over everything. It's pretty long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc5Bx3t5phw
Lucario & Rosalina got buffed big time i might have to play them more again xD
but they really need to stop nerfing stuff for Peach/Daisy each update..it starts to get very annoying -.-
but finally a buff for my boi Toon Link so not to disappointed lol

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I was just about to comment on Toon being buffed. I haven't tested out since the patch, but it's nice to know he got one. Among others who desperately needed one like Mac.

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
Nintendo has more respect for themselves by secretly working on dramatically improving online. No people who really care about their fans either act ignorant to problem at hand or simply neglect it because they think they own us (VIA... we will always come back for more).

i know this has proven true before, but it is obscene that nintendo couldn't fix a clearly broken online system after six months of the game being out. i'm still trying because mario kart 8 and splatoon 2 made purchasing online worth it, but i'm fed up with all of the unwanted free for all matches, and i'm not going to put up with this game's sh*t any longer.

i'm putting it down for quite some time and plan to rarely pick it up. if i do, it will never be to play online in any form unless a major update was released (4.0, 5.0, et cetera). if nintendo doesn't fix most of what's critically flawed with ultimate's online in the next three to five major updates, i'm selling my cartridge, dusting off the old gamecube, and buying a copy of melee.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
i know this has proven true before, but it is obscene that nintendo couldn't fix a clearly broken online system after six months of the game being out. i'm still trying because mario kart 8 and splatoon 2 made purchasing online worth it, but i'm fed up with all of the unwanted free for all matches, and i'm not going to put up with this game's sh*t any longer.

i'm putting it down for quite some time and plan to rarely pick it up. if i do, it will never be to play online in any form unless a major update was released (4.0, 5.0, et cetera). if nintendo doesn't fix most of what's critically flawed with ultimate's online in the next three to five major updates, i'm selling my cartridge, dusting off the old gamecube, and buying a copy of melee.
Melee has better fan made online that ultimate tbh (nintendo should be embarrassed). Just go to smash ladder and follow the setup tutorial to get it working on your PC. Assuming you have a usb adapter, you can play it on PC with a cube controller, with online match making, and not have to drop 80 bucks on the disk. Dolphin also has 20xx and Uncle Punch packs that make practicing way better. The only part that is kind of a pita is getting a melee 1.02 ISO, which google will provide, but smashladder will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom