• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is online in this game so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
If you used excessive language or broke the rules that's why your post was deleted. I didn't see what you posted, but that's my best bet. You did resort to claiming about battle arena being filled with people with 'two inch genitalia' I get what you are saying, but you were probably posting that in the heat of the moment when the anger was still boiling.

We only talk bad about Smash because unlike Splatoon they have tried to make it better. In Smash Ult's case they didn't do that. They just took what was existing (and workable) and cleaned the entire slate. There would not be so many complaints if what they reworked was better, but it is way more flawed then it needs to be. And here it is five months and little progress has been made to fix it.

I still get games that I don't ask for. Others claim they do, but there are a lot of factors for that. If your gsp is low or to high it just gives you whoever is around. I can't tell you how many times I would get a 1v1 because my Jigglypuff is way too low. My little cousin came over one day and just tanked Puff's/Olimar's gsp to like 5000 lol. And now I can't get her out of it.

When I win everyone quits and when I lose I stay.
I used excessive language. Lol.
It was right after I lost to some stupid Luigi who teabags and always and I mean ALWAYS camps on team battle preferred rules knowing he’ll usally never even get a team battle. So I played him, I lost two games straight to him and on third game. He did a bunch of moves that would have been so punishable in smash 4, but not in ultimate. I couldn’t punish it, he did the same move again and killed me. That’s when I went to full rage mode and cured Sakurai and all of Nintendo online sector staff on his forum.

This online game just sucks. Any sort of ranking mode or records kept mode should be in a server mode where items are prohibited all together and where you have a standard rule set. And then I don’t even think there should be a for fun mode. Cause BA already does the trick. Only this time, (like smash 4 did with tourneys) all BA arenas are public rooms that all allow 8 men rooms. And then create standard rules for each BA room. And then on the weekends. Nintendo should host 1v1 and double tournament mode. And in that tourney mode, they should have A ranked system. Like in nba or mlb. Best player with highest gsp, record, points or whatever plays the worst. 1st seed plays 16th, and from there on. And the first seed get their stage option (only legal stages). I’d actually go a step further and have a best of out of 3 until the semi finals and finals. So even lower ranked players can select their stage. I’d host these special tournaments only on Friday from like 6pm Friday Japeanse time to 6pm Sunday. And my online ranked mode would give you the rule set of either want to play on BF, or Fd stage. And then also give you the option of you want to play characters within your rank or play anyone. And those rules would be automatic! Not “preferred”. And I’d allow UNLIMITED TAUNTS! And I’d bring back allowing characters to change after a battle without leaving the room. And in my tournament mode, I’d do the same thing after each battle since it’d be a best out of 3 or 5 (if you get to semis and finals). Obviously there’s be a 20 second time window and it would be optional if you want to change characters. All tourney would be 64 max room lotted.
I’d also allow to change character and look at rules with going to back of line in BA. Only thing is it gives you a time warning if you selected ready to play.

THIS BASIC ONLINE SYSTEM WOULD BE GLORIOUS!
Edit: you wouldn’t be able to stop mid way through a taunt and I’d make the character taunts normal and brawl lengths. Plus I’d make them more savage like they were in brawl. “You’re too slow!”.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
THIS BASIC ONLINE SYSTEM WOULD BE GLORIOUS!
Edit: you wouldn’t be able to stop mid way through a taunt and I’d make the character taunts normal and brawl lengths. Plus I’d make them more savage like they were in brawl. “You’re too slow!”.
you wager nintendo is a disaster of a company if they are garbage at listening to customers and getting online right?

J.I.L

you wager nintendo is a disaster of a company if they are garbage at listening to customers and getting online right?
Smash 4 online was basic but very workable and durable. It just needed to be advanced and decolped. These morons of online devolpers for ultimate decided to tear down all they did for smash 4 and bring something new which ended up being inferior. I don’t know if you blame Nintendo or rather the the pitiful online devolpers of this game WHO SHOULD ALL BE FIRED ( or at least the one who came up with the ideas). I mean as you’ve seen, some other online Nintendo games do well... so is it all Nintendo fault or just ultimate Sakurai and his devolment team fault?

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Smash 4 online was basic but very workable and durable. It just needed to be advanced and decolped. These morons of online devolpers for ultimate decided to tear down all they did for smash 4 and bring something new which ended up being inferior. I don’t know if you blame Nintendo or rather the the pitiful online devolpers of this game WHO SHOULD ALL BE FIRED ( or at least the one who came up with the ideas). I mean as you’ve seen, some other online Nintendo games do well... so is it all Nintendo fault or just ultimate Sakurai and his devolment team fault?
well there are many things nintendo just has to **** up in.

including no system voice chat, forcing us to use button combinations to discover control options (such as in Mario Bros U Deluxe), having very limited online for Mario Party Switch, and other things.

I bet microsoft and sony wouldn't have made any of this an issue. Nintendo is simply the "let us do what we want, **** off" type.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
I've now recorded, doing Ranked Matchmaking 1v1s, 126 total matches and encountered 75 unique players. My ruleset is 3 stock, max time, omega stages, no items, no stage hazards.

Unacceptable match conditions that cause me not to rematch:

I have had exactly zero matches with items on. 0%

I have had exactly zero stamina matches. 0%

I have never been placed into a team or free for all match. 0%

I've never been placed on a map with stage hazards enabled. 0%

7 of my total 126 matches were laggy, or, 5.56%, which prompted me not to rematch.

Acceptable match conditions that are not my exact ruleset:

I occasionally get placed in matches with different time settings or with 2 stocks instead of 3.

I occasionally get placed on flat stages instead of omega, or onto final destination or battlefield.

I really don't know what you all are complaining about to be honest. 100% of my matches were ones that either abided by my ruleset exactly, or were close enough to where I considered it acceptable and did not mind the deviation. 94.44% of my matches I would consider "good," as in I had no reason to complain about the match conditions. The only offending factor was an occasional laggy connection I got paired against. According to my actual data, online really isn't as bad as this thread suggests.
ah of course. So because YOU don't have the issue, we must be making it up right? It's hilarious because even streamers get this. Zero has gotten items and stamina mode several times on stream. You have to be either lying or or just extremely lucky. because most of us do occasionally this ****.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i needed a break from the game the online being the main reason..just thinking about having to deal with that **** again makes me probably just as annoyed as before i took a break, i probably would be less annoyed with the game if the online is working how it's supposed to work,
if i play smash i want to play it with my preference not the game being like ''so you want a FFA with 3 stocks on any stage huh? HA i give you a stamina team match and i will give you a low GSP teammate!''
when stuff like that happens to much on 1 day..there is a big chance i just have to ragequit a match otherwise my anger will come out..and i rather don't have that..
how ironic that losing doesn't make me angry but the online matmaking can make me angry just like that >.>

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
i needed a break from the game the online being the main reason..just thinking about having to deal with that **** again makes me probably just as annoyed as before i took a break, i probably would be less annoyed with the game if the online is working how it's supposed to work,
if i play smash i want to play it with my preference not the game being like ''so you want a FFA with 3 stocks on any stage huh? HA i give you a stamina team match and i will give you a low GSP teammate!''
when stuff like that happens to much on 1 day..there is a big chance i just have to ragequit a match otherwise my anger will come out..and i rather don't have that..
how ironic that losing doesn't make me angry but the online matmaking can make me angry just like that >.>
must be because nintendo is absolute **** at making consumers happy. They could make a smash bros that removes all stages popular in competitive play, removes several characters and adds back random tripping. The game would still sell well because it's smash bros

J.I.L

must be because nintendo is absolute **** at making consumers happy. They could make a smash bros that removes all stages popular in competitive play, removes several characters and adds back random tripping. The game would still sell well because it's smash bros
Goodness lady, you've been saying the same thing for like months now. lol, we get it. Nintendo doesen't make its consumers and customers happy......
Though how did you like smash 4 online?

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Smash 4 online was decent.

Maybe I act like a robot by repeating myself, but there are many things that Nintendo shouldn't have made an issue in the first place. But because they became an issue, Nintendo is outright horrible.

I'll admit that I mostly repeat myself just to be a **** to everyone, but all I see are complaints about Nintendo everywhere on Reddit, GameFAQs, this forum and everywhere else

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll admit that I mostly repeat myself just to be a **** to everyone, but all I see are complaints about Nintendo everywhere on Reddit, GameFAQs, this forum and everywhere else
I see a mix of complaints and praises.

For one side, people like every first party title released by Nintendo and some of the actions they made like Cadence Of Hyrule.

On the other side, people dislike their copyright rules, their behaviour with fan-content and online structure.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I have lost more interest in Nintendo's first party titles than I gained unlike Playstation. Truth hurts cause I love Mario and Zelda and Starfox and Metroid and I loved their niche titles like Eternal Darkness or gem devs like Rare. I pray to the Video Game gods that Prime 4 is great not grrrrreat! TM

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i tried online again..and my level of frustration is already at the same level before my break..how damn hard is it to find my preferences? no i don't want 1v1 atm and no i don't want those damn items either atm..just give me what i want stupid ass game..then i am forced to play on those few stages i HATE the most from all the 100+ stages and then afterwards i get a item battle where items are screwing me over..maaaan i had it already with this game..no wonder this game gives me a bad mood
idgaf anymore about ragequitting in smash cause the game isn't giving me what i want so why should i bother playing a type of match i did not asked for nor i have no single interest in?

J.I.L

i tried online again..and my level of frustration is already at the same level before my break..how damn hard is it to find my preferences? no i don't want 1v1 atm and no i don't want those damn items either atm..just give me what i want stupid *** game..then i am forced to play on those few stages i HATE the most from all the 100+ stages and then afterwards i get a item battle where items are screwing me over..maaaan i had it already with this game..no wonder this game gives me a bad mood
idgaf anymore about ragequitting in smash cause the game isn't giving me what i want so why should i bother playing a type of match i did not asked for nor i have no single interest in?
That’s why preferences are stupid. Just have standard modes like smash 4 and brawl. Nintendo is too inept to make an preferred rule system... so just make standard online modes so people can generally be guaranteed what they want! I agree coolboy. Best you stop playing before you increase your blood pressure.

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand how Nintendo managed to take a step back when it came to the online mode in this game. We all know that quickplay sucks, but my biggest complaint is that I can't play squad strike or smash down online.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
That’s why preferences are stupid. Just have standard modes like smash 4 and brawl. Nintendo is too inept to make an preferred rule system... so just make standard online modes so people can generally be guaranteed what they want! I agree coolboy. Best you stop playing before you increase your blood pressure.
in all honesty? i am this close to throwing my smash game into the trash can and i am not bluffing. cause i already done it once only to put it back out later.i am just so done with this bull****. i reached my limit with this pathectic matchmaking and can't take **** from it anymore, cause the moment it messes up i will simply ragequit cause idc anymore they can punish me for it but i no longer have the calmness to deal with it anymore.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I don't understand how Nintendo managed to take a step back when it came to the online mode in this game. We all know that quickplay sucks, but my biggest complaint is that I can't play squad strike or smash down online.
Well it's certainly stupid but neither mode is the main attraction

Noss92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ness92
Well it's certainly stupid but neither mode is the main attraction
Because of that, smashdown and squad strike are basically forgotten modes now, since nobody can test them in online tournaments formula. Heck, they don't even try it in local tournaments. What a waste

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Regardless, it's something I should be able to do online. Wasted all that time on a mode that most people will rarely get to play.
Because of that, smashdown and squad strike are basically forgotten modes now, since nobody can test them in online tournaments formula. Heck, they don't even try it in local tournaments. What a waste
well tbh Smashdown isn't that interesting and I doubt people actually want to play it online. And aside from the each stock is a character part Squad Strike isn't that interesting either.

Do you think you could make online a lot better than Sakurai and Nintendo?

Last edited:

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
well tbh Smashdown isn't that interesting and I doubt people actually want to play it online.
I bet plenty of people would play Smashdown if it was available online. At very least, more options is never a bad thing.

I feel you man, I would play the hell out of squad strike and smashdown online. Some majors run Squad Strike tournaments, but not all of them.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
well for squad strike's each character is a stock mode I was thinking more of making it Pokemon style where players can switch using the start button (hold start to pause), damage precentages are tracked for each character (so if you switch out Mario when he's at 80%, when you use him again he will remain at 80%) and once a character is defeated, they are eliminated from the match and you can't use them again.

Last edited:

J.I.L

User was warned for this post
This online game is becoming unplayable. Elite smash is basically smash hell from smash 4 mixed in with regular smash online. I can’t consistently get a team battle, and it effects my performance on 1v1 which hurts my gsp. In my era, there’s this dude who just constantly camps in team battle. Knowing fully he’ll ever barley play team battle. He just camps on team battle mode and destroys everyone who wants to select team battle by just mostly destroying them 1v1. Then he tea bags everytime he gets a KO. It’s so toxic.

I don’t get why those stupid ****s of devolpers made such a terrible online system that’d be universally despised?
They need to do away with the preferred rule system, reform gsp and battle arena. They need to network people based on country, not mere area (so you can get a larger pool of players). They need to allow you to change characters between matches. They need to bring back limited taunting. Also, for character data. The mode where you see who has the highest kills or death ect. WHY IS IT FORCFULLY divided between BA and online? I would like to the option of combined and then I can separate into online or offline if I choose.
Can BA be public rooms instead of private also with a standard rule set for each modes.
Also, can my character falco get some buffs?
I really want to pimp slap those ultimate online devolpers in the face so hard get them all fired. These people make the worst online system in history, increase their players blood pressure...make money off it, keep their jobs and smile as if they actually did a good job.so frustrating. This game is half-a$$ed and I’m getting to the point where I have no interest playing it. Those stupid devolpers ruined such a good game. I was able to enjoy smash from 2016 to when I got rid of it in 2019 of March. After just a month, I’m getting sick of this game.
I wish there was something we could do make smash executive listen to us.

Edit: at this point, anyone who defends this online system... triggers me. There’s no way you can be objectively opinionated, and say this online system is good. ‘‘Tis thing is a complete barrel of animal waste created by utterly inept people in japan who should be fired and replaced. I mean, what were they thinking? Why make garbage? Was it just one guy calling the shots and no one dared to question him or guide him? Do they hate competitive players online? Or are they just inept? Or did they rush the game? This online system blows and for someone who plays mostly online, this sucks. Sakurai should sell the game to younger more serious people. The dude has lost his touch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I don’t get why those stupid ****s of devolpers made such a terrible online system that’d be universally despised?
They need to do away with the preferred rule system, reform gsp and battle arena. They need to network people based on country, not mere area (so you can get a larger pool of players). They need to allow you to change characters between matches. They need to bring back limited taunting. Also, for character data. The mode where you see who has the highest kills or death ect. WHY IS IT FORCFULLY divided between BA and online? I would like to the option of combined and then I can separate into online or offline if I choose.
don't you wager the terrible online is from Ninetndo always ignoring their customers?

Last edited by a moderator:

J.I.L

don't you wager the terrible online is from Ninetndo always ignoring their customers?
Idk. I don’t trust the general populace of smash customers. I feel like a lot of them complaining about smash 4 is what got us to this piece of trash. Don’t you think? Like preferred rule system, getting rid of smash hell, pooling people by area instead of country to get less lag, have a ranking system...getting rid of name tag switches. These are some of the things I bet people complained about in smash 4 which ultimate did which led us to even a worse online system. Or complaining about for glory in general which led us to quick play. So idk. You listen to your customers most definitely... but also be smart with how you take their advice. Though your customers may complain about for glory. Doesn’t mean you get rid of it and just build something new to worse result. Build off what you did in for glory. Smash ultimate should have just been a highly more advance version of smash 4 online system.
Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 lol, I got a troll warning. Like we are never going to go anywhere as a community if everytime one tries to speak out against nintendo, people just report you. I don't get why people get offended when someone critizes nintendo....would people rather suffer online and things not changing... or speak out so things can get better? if things are good, then it makes sense to push back on change. But these aren't good, so change needs to come forth. People being uptight and reporting me because of that.... I have words for those people but I'll get another strike on my account if I say my true feelings.... so I won't say.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is exactly what happened with custom moves in Smash 4. IMO it was a pretty huge addition and I was totally on board. But with it being restricted online (along with Miis) and also really hard to unlock the moves, basically nobody cared, and then no surprise that nobody cared when they didn't return in Ultimate. The developers didn't let us get invested in it.

In this day and age, Smash needs to make online the focus. Don't need to throw out couch multiplayer of course--but the online should be the priority. In other online-centric games I play, even when I lose a match I still feel that I'm winning in some way, whether that's because of of earning 'experience' like in Splatoon or seeing how well you personally did compared to other players. Compared with Smash Ultimate online, even when I win a match I feel like I've lost; mostly because I just wasted my time playing a type of match I didn't want. And when I do lose, not only have I lost the match but I'll probably have lost some GSP, wasted my time because it wasn't the type of match I wanted to play, and it's hard to compare my stats with the other players because they can hide theirs quickly. It's just a lose-lose-lose-lose. Not fun.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Went back onto quickplay after a long time of staying away. It's just as trash as it was before. I got maybe one match I wanted out of all the ones it kept giving me. And the match it did give me had slight lag. I was doing well and had kept all of my stock for a pretty good duration of the match.

Then when I stocked the the two heavies, this Pichu who wasn't doing anything but running away finally decided I had raked enough percent to go in for an easy kill. It's a strategy, I will give them that. Only that as this happened the lag became utterly unbearable. It seemed to choke when I had the advantage and slipped back when the odds were against me. Almost like the player was undocking their switch and then redocking it or somehow messing with their internet speed.

It was equally entertaining that their username was 'please go easy on me' I won, but when I went in for a rematch low and behold they were the only ones not there to continue. So underhanded.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I also ended up getting a 30min ban for inactive/idling. My joycon died at the worst time on my last match. Granted it wasn't really one I wanted to participate in the begin with. Still annoying that it is chalked up as griefing/unsporty behavior. I even tried switching out the joycon and a gc controller also, but it wouldn't have none of that. It wanted me to reconnect the joycon that refused to work.

Last edited:

J.I.L

What's the best action to make Nintendo change their online do you suppose?
Cancel your online subscription after a year. And then give Nintendo your hard raw feed back. When business men pockets are not adding up, they’ll sharpen up.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
I don't like the preferred rule setting, it is random, meaning if someone wanted flags on and played on Temple with Sonic they would have an unfair advantage against someone like incinroar. The battle ends and the incineroar player loses a million points, and then the Sonic player bails after winning. I preferred For Glory and For Fun split in 4. It was toxic yes but it was also mostly fair. Those who wanted items got items and those who wanted none got none it was perfectly balanced for the most part.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Cancel your online subscription after a year. And then give Nintendo your hard raw feed back. When business men pockets are not adding up, they’ll sharpen up.
you suppose doing so would actually make them change, given that they said they like to be different from Microsoft and Sony?

J.I.L

you suppose doing so would actually make them change, given that they said they like to be different from Microsoft and Sony?
Their online system straight up STINKS. Wii U online I bet was nothing like Xbox or PlayStation and people were content with it. This online system isn’t good. They need to revamp based on feedback from their customers. If they want to continue to ignore their customers as you often say, we should cut off their online revenue streams.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Why is it always so laggy? Makes b reverses or just turn around b moves utter hell to do. Nintendo REALLY frigged this up

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
kinda funny that in certain matches if you are winning or doing so well it suddenly starts lagging..are people really that sad and lame that they make it lag on purpose? such babies people can be! xD

i fought this 1 Toon Link yesterday as Rosalina..
he was so predictable and just yeah hazards was on so he had a chance but still once he was on his last stock and i had 2 all of a sudden it got laggy,
why do i even play 1v1 you ask? cause the matchmaking forced me to play it and i was to late with turning off my switch -.-

Last edited:

Steelmullet

Smash Apprentice
I have literally experienced 1 second of screen and input lag while playing 1vs1. It was not in my favor. Looked (and felt) like I was watching a replay and not actually playing.

Just watched as move after move seemed to combo flawlessly into each other like a beautiful river of frustration.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Ever seems like everyone should've listened when i told you not to pay for online?
i also play other games where the online is way better so not paying for online just cause Smash online sucks is not a option for me :l besides 1 year online is cheap af.
and i honestly think you shouldn't be complaining to just nintendo about Smash online but also to the people who created Smash, they made the game and Smash online so it's just as much on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom