• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is my online experience so volatile?

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
I don't get it. I play quick play solo and my enemies are just all over the place.

One match I 3-stock my opponent without breaking a sweat.
Next match I get someone who annihilates me.
Match after that, somewhat balanced, I win some, I lose some.
After that, I get someone who plays like they never held a controller in their hands.
AFTER that, I get the god of spacing and frame-perfect responses and I barely deal 50 % damage over the course of the match.

Shouldn't the matches all be somewhat close? I don't care about my score points at all, but I thought that was the purpose behind them.

FatFry

Smash Rookie
I don't even play quickplay that much. I got Bowser to Elite Smash and then forgot about it. Matches are often laggy and people use cheese tactics, not a good way to improve.

Arenas are pretty fun though, assuming it isn't laggy as ****.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
I don't even play quickplay that much. I got Bowser to Elite Smash and then forgot about it. Matches are often laggy and people use cheese tactics, not a good way to improve.

Arenas are pretty fun though, assuming it isn't laggy as ****.
Problem with arenas is the long wait time. Even if I finally get a match, I cannot even rematch the same person instantly.
Only benefit is that I can switch characters and still fight the same person.

GhostM

Phantom
It's volatile because of how the system of GSP works. GSP in reality doesn’t matter because it doesn’t give you an accurate placing on where you are on the leaderboards. It tells how you better you are than people, but not the total amount of people. Most pro players who play online don’t even care about their GSP. Not to forget that there's no separation between casual and competitive players in online, so casual players who solely want to play for fun are ranked in the GSP system even if they don't want to be. Makes me feel like the game just randomly matches you up with anyone who's close to your GSP, and people who aren't even close to it.

Playing online is a bad way to practice because of the input lag that forces you to play a campy/spammy playstyle just to win if you ever get into a laggy match. Arenas are the best way to go, but find one by someone who lives near you. One thing they don't tell you about arenas is that if a person joins who's far from where the host lives, it lags the entire lobby even if they're spectating. Even though there's a long wait time depending on what arena you join, it's honestly the best way to play online now. I don't see Nintendo patching nor updating the online anytime soon.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Most pro players who play online don’t even care about their GSP.
Me neither. In the end, I just want somewhat equal matches. Right now, 7/10 matches are pretty one-sided.

Playing online is a bad way to practice
I would love to play offline, but RL community is dead. I cannot find anything here (Germany). Having some fun times, chilling, playing, having some pizza and drinks? Not happening.

play a campy/spammy playstyle just to win
I noticed that many play to win. I just want to have a good time... Of course, winning is fun, but having friendly matches without a care in the world? That's the best.

Edit
Just coming out of a match against a Sheik. Their GSP was 200k above mine (5,1M). I got absolutely destroyed. Lost 400k. Why have a ranking system if it doesn't work at all?

Last edited:
Top Bottom