• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why is kirby so low tier

Austria

Smash Rookie
NNID
HOW ABOUT NO?
3DS FC
1234-5678-9012
Switch FC
1234 4321 1244
i noticed on official melee tier lists that kirby is low tier and fox is high tier.
i win with kirby most of the time in my melee matches.
how is fox so high tier?

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
The tier list takes top level play into consideration. This wouldn't include you and your friends that don't play competitively.

Kirby has poor range, no mobility, is very light, isn't very fast in the air, can't camp, doesn't have any easy kill setups, has a deceptively bad recovery, a lot of his attacks can be SDI'd out of, half his grabs don't work, his frame data isn't particularly good...

*But*

If you do insist on being a Kirby main, Triple R is your guy to watch. His Kirby is extremely good. Kirby is very tiny, so he has a relatively small hurtbox, and can thus crouch under a lot of attacks that would otherwise hit most characters. His tilts and pokes aren't terrible, and Bair has a decent hitbox, and can kill/edgeguard decently well. Uair/Bair are good at gimping.

The trick is to sort of bait your opponent into over committing, with Kirby being difficult to hit and having jank, annoying moves. Then you sort of run away and repeat. Kirby isn't *that* bad at covering options off-stage, but he is slow compared to other common characters, so keep that in mind. Very hit-and-run. There isn't much you can do up-front, unless it's from a pseudo-tech-chase of sorts.

But yeah, watch Triple R.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Google would probably be your friend on both of these trying questions. Kirby basically can't do anything well, as what is said above. As for Fox though, he can basically do anything you want him to do at any time. He's fast, excellent frame data, very strong attacks and easy kill setups, the best move in the game (the Shine), excellent damage dealing tool at long range that also eliminates staleness on moves, he does everything. The drawback, aside from his high falling speed which allows him to get combed very easily, is that at a higher level of play he requires a lot of tech skill to pull off his maximum potential.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Since I saw your thread about not having unlocked all the stages/characters in single player mode, I will assume that you don't yet have a lot of understanding or practice of competitive melee. Playing against other players is significantly different from beating up CPUs and I will assure you that most of the tactics you are using against CPUs right now will not work against experienced players.
In order to understand why Kirby is so low on the tier, you would really have to play against a competitive player and see for yourself. I noticed that you are from Austria like me. If you want, we can set up a small netplay melee session, where we play over the internet using the dolphin emulator, info on that here.
An in-person meetup would be even better perhaps but I don't have a lot of time right now due to university and I don't know where exactly you live. Perhaps you can PM me your general location and I can put you in contact with the local melee scene, if there is one.

Salve1222

Smash Rookie
Fox the god of melee, kirby main though, I like motorcycles :wifi::beezo:

Last edited:
Top Bottom