• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is it that FFVII and Persona 5 are not listed as their series but rather one specific game?

Arthur97

Smash Master
This seems odd when they come from established franchises. I could get it somewhat with FF. Square is stingy, got it, but why Persona Atlas (Sega) has certainly not been stingy, so...why?

D

Deleted member

Maybe because we won’t get Persona reps from other titles.

If that isn’t the case, then IDK.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. If FFVII is any indication, this is not a good thing if you want more in the future.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. If FFVII is any indication, this is not a good thing if you want more in the future.
Although we have no idea how ATLUS even operates about that, considering that negotiations were relatively simple for extra swag from the word go, compared to Cloud having the bare minimum for the second time in a row.

Regardless, this situation is bleeding weird. The only correlation I can see is that both are particularly known franchise entries worldwide.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
That reasoning may work for Persona (still weird), but seems odd for FF. Yeah, VII is the most famous, but...come on, it's Final Fantasy. No number should be necessary. Though that one may just go to Square being their hard to work with selves.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Maybe because they don't plan on having more then one representation for the company/series? And so they just label what game they are from instead. I mean that's my wild guess. We should ask Sakurai.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Simple, they both come from third party franchises who change protagonists in every game.

Arthur97

Smash Master
That...still doesn't make much sense. Other series change protagonists too. Stuff from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is still listed under the series title.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It's really weird for Persona. In Final Fantasy's case, everything it's got in Smash (its grand total of 1 character, 1 stage, and 2 songs) comes from Final Fantasy VII, so it can get away with being mislabeled as that specific game... but Persona has music from Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
FF7 is an almost a completely separate franchise at this point. No other FF game has received the same amount of attention. 4 games, an HD remake of the original coming soon, 2 movies, tons of crossovers with representatives from this game as well. I feel like it makes sense in that vein.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That...still doesn't make much sense. Other series change protagonists too. Stuff from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is still listed under the series title.
I imagine it's because how licensing works with the third parties.

D

Deleted member

It might be because there are multiloe Persona 5 games.

Top Bottom