• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Friendly Fire on at tournaments?

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to explain to a friend that Friendly Fire is always on at tournaments, and we should train with it. He thinks Friendly Fire is bull**** annoying and he wants to play without unless I give him the reason why.

Anyway, why is it enabled? I prefer playing with it on, but I can't think of a reason.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Prevents projectile and other spamming in doubles, which would turn teams into a contest of who could camp the hardest.

On the other hand, it does allow you to help your team mate to recover by hitting them up/towards the stage.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Good luck fighting two laser spamming Falco's with team attack off.

But really, ignoring the obvious problem of overpowered cheap tactics, you can't save your team partner when friendly fire is off. Besides, if you can't hit your partner, you have no real reason to pay any attention to him, team attack is pretty much why teams requires teamwork.

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman

But really, ignoring the obvious problem of overpowered cheap tactics, you can't save your team partner when friendly fire is off. Besides, if you can't hit your partner, you have no real reason to pay any attention to him, team attack is pretty much why teams requires teamwork.
Probably the best reason. Thanks. :3

DippnDots

Feral Youth
You should just tell him to practice with friendly fire as much as he wants than go to a tournament and see what happens. Best way to learn why in my opinion

Samochan

Smash Master
What amsah said. Cheap tactics not only involve projectile spamming, most notably 2 falco's on final destination, but all kinds of cheap things where you don't need to consider your teammates, you can keep hitting your opponent and make wombo combo seem like child's play. Friendly fire off makes team matches 1+1vs1+1 instead of 2vs2 they're supposed to be, where the best teams excell with their teamplay. With friendly fire, you always have to be aware of where your buddy is and what he's doing to have that syenergy and make the best out of your team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1czlba-Wg 2:15-> onwards, you can see what I mean. And that's still quite tame what you can do without friendly fire being on.

Ofc friendly fire off might be fun, but it's not suitable for a tournament setting of teams play.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I heard Husband/Wife had this thing where they would Marth fsmash/Peach dsmash over each other, and nobody could touch them.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
With friendly fire off, the dominant strategy becomes balling up, and trying to keep as many large hitboxes active as continuously as possible, and keeping your opponent from doing the same. This usually means double Falco spamming lasers, but characters like Marth, Ganon and Samus can all make some pretty difficult to penetrate wads of attacks. It's not that this form of play doesn't require coordination and awareness of your teammate, but it certainly deemphasizes those aspects, or requires a different kind of them, at least. Generally, the playstyle encouraged by friendly fire being off is considered undesirable by most competitive smashers.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I like Grab + Pummel -> Down-B infinite with double DK.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Can't any combination of characters wobble in some way?
By using rapid jabs or other moves with multiple hits over and over.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah, it's just a lot easier when friendly fire is off. pummel's have hitboxes that can hit you and your attack could hit your opponent.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
all this speculative talk actually makes me want to try out this format and actually discover what is the best.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
double pichus with ff off can infinite downB somebody until they hit the killzone. If they position themselves correctly and time it right the opponents shouldn't be able to get out.

basically, lotsa dumb stuff can happen with f.f. off.

he'll also get used to ff after awhile, its really a good thing for teams. you can help your partner more.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
bringing an untouchable-moving-wall to a constant-stream-of-transcendental-priority-lasers fight?
lol you don't know about my theorysmash: You can inch yourself forward by alternating lightshields against double Falco (it'd take an hour to get across FD tho). One person lightshields, and their teammate inches forward inside the lightshield. The teammate then lightshields and the process repeats.

You'd have to do it super quick because the person with the lightshield would get pushed across the stage but I wonder if it'd actually be a viable strategy lol.

mhenlo

Smash Apprentice
lol you don't know about my theorysmash: You can inch yourself forward by alternating lightshields against double Falco (it'd take an hour to get across FD tho). One person lightshields, and their teammate inches forward inside the lightshield. The teammate then lightshields and the process repeats.

You'd have to do it super quick because the person with the lightshield would get pushed across the stage but I wonder if it'd actually be a viable strategy lol.
and when u get close and are moving at a super slow speed and they both run and grab u and combo the crap out of u because team attack is off what do u do then?

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero

Like this reason very much. I do admit with FF off I don't pay attention to my partners.

:phone:

l0telephone0l

Smash Cadet
double pichus with ff off can infinite downB somebody until they hit the killzone. If they position themselves correctly and time it right the opponents shouldn't be able to get out.
lolol or sdi out... >_>
Pichu mains tryna convince everybody that pichu is not the worst character.

and when u get close and are moving at a super slow speed and they both run and grab u and combo the crap out of u because team attack is off what do u do then?
When they both run to grab they run into a wall of f-airs. And if they laser, it's okay because both lasers would hit the front marth and the back marth would just swing his sword around like crazy and probably gimp both of them with 2 attacks.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
bowser is the worst character

and again

this speculation makes me want to test out this format. LOL.

will the best players still win...??!?!?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Bowser > Kirby > Pichu

And double Falco is broken, but every team is broken with team attack off anyway.

Top Bottom