• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I think people still underestimate Roy + Video + AMA/Discussion Thread

Ray-Den

Smash Rookie
Hello I mained Roy since he came out in Smash4. And while the transition to Ultimate was kinda rough with all the changes, Roy is indeed a great character imo.

Roy has the problem that people always underrate him. In Smash4 he was for the longest time considered one of the worst characters. Imo people just misunderstood how to play him. Everyone thought of him as a rushdown character and blindly rushes in with nair as an approach. While this tactic is alot more viable in Ultimate, you still have to think about his nair more like an interception tool (or crossup with it). For example in the Palutena matchup her nair gets always beaten out by a well timed defensive nair.

Back to Smash4, you had to use his walk because his dash was one of the worst. But still (even when i saw top players onstream with him) they always were running at the opponnent brainless. So of course they thought he was bad.

In alot of Ultimate Pro Player Tier Lists I see Roy place atleast in High Tier or even Top Tier. Tho I cant get the thought out of my head this is only because of Chroms influence. If there werent chrom, would people agree that Roy is a good character or would he get similar placings as in Smash4?

If anyone has questions or want me to explain anything on this character further, please dont hesitate.

I will leave this video I made here. Yes this was online and no this should not be evidence that Roy is more viable than any other character.
I just want to show that this character has alot of good tools (sourspot among the best of all!) and is so much fun to play (tho hard but very rewarding). Hope this will inspire you.

godogod

Smash Ace
"Back to Smash4, you had to use his walk because his dash was one of the worst. But still (even when i saw top players onstream with him) they always were running at the opponnent brainless. So of course they thought he was bad. "

What. What are you talking about? He had one of the best dash speeds in the game. Faster than Marth.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
"Back to Smash4, you had to use his walk because his dash was one of the worst. But still (even when i saw top players onstream with him) they always were running at the opponnent brainless. So of course they thought he was bad. "

What. What are you talking about? He had one of the best dash speeds in the game. Faster than Marth.
I think he's referring to initial dash length not dash speed. In Smash 4 Roy's initial dash took 17 frames to complete, (Tied for worst in game along with Marcina and Robin) which made dashing with Roy a huge commitment in neutral.

Top Bottom