• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I think Corrin might be better here

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

Hello, you've may not seen me around in this section. But that's partly because I don't really main Corrin in this game, as I back in Smash 4. I've mained Corrin ever since they came out, all throughout the game's lifespan following it. As such, I feel I may know a thing or two regarding the character, and why I feel Corrin might actually be better here, than they were in Smash 4. I personally never felt Corrin reached their potential in Smash 4 to begin with, so there's also that factor.

1. Juggling

This is one is huge. Massive, even. Corrin had some of the better juggling games to begin with back in Smash 4, with tools like the everlasting Nair, an UAir with ridiculous priority (could beat out stuff like Cloud, Link and G&W's Dairs; still does) and even the ocassional Tipper frametrap. Smash 4 airdodges were a little to forgiving, however. People could get away with far more than they can now. Airdodges are significantly laggier, and nevermind directional ones.

I think Corrin is far more dangerous in the air now, and this is probably going to be the cornerstone of your play.

2. An Actual Neutral

With the nerf of some of the defensive mechanics (such as shielding), you're naturally using your aerials a lot, lot more. You can actually land safe on someone's shield without having to perfect, crossed up or always retreating. This is only one aspect of neutral, however. Pin is still there, and the addition of shorter fox throt animations means whiff punishing is a lot more viable. I used to feel very limited in the Sheik matchup in Smash 4, given how it was harder to perform these little microsteps in the spacing game. And while it is true this factors goes universally to every other character, this is no reason you can't take advantage of it properly.

- Not to mention, being able to drop down out of the Pin adds an extra factor. I wouldn't be lying if I said I almost prefer it to the former kick-away. I feel being able to cancel Pin is one of those very subtle buffs. Corrin was also able to cancel Tipper endlag, but it was a lot more situational as well as strict. Now you're able to consistently tipper edgeguard an opponent without commiting to Pin and potentially giving up stage a control (a reason why 2 Frame Tipper was unreliable back then).
- Stuff like running D-Tilt really adds an extra dimension to your approaches. D-Tilt has always been one of our better normals. It's fast, and it combos into a lot of things. Now? You don't even have to commit to a jump. A well-spaced D-Tilt is likely safe on shield and can combo to stuff like Uair and Bair.

Let's face it, the Pin meta wasn't really going anywhere to begin with. People hyped this one move, and it's ironic how because of this one move, we've never evolved beyond that. I feel everyone just abandoned ship the moment they said Pin was nerfed. You definitely can't be braindead with it, but it's still really good. Now you can actually use the rest of your moveset effectively.

I'd be willing to give this character another round, but I really have to sharpen up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
In theory, a lot of characters are better with the new airdodges, but in my time with Corrin, I find it's actually more difficult because opponents can just airdodge away and he has a hard time chasing them, where he could just throw out another move in 4 and hit them anyway. The new airdodges actually effect offstage play the most, where Corrin isn't usually going for kills. The nerf to his recovery combined with limited airdodges really doesn't help either.

Also shield drop pin was crazy in 4, but it's not nearly as good here with the huge nerf to shield drop and pin. You really need fast OoS options in this game or you get eaten alive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom