• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I play Lucina, competitively, over Marth

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
If Chrom was playable, I sure hope he would have an alt. where he wears his boxers from the Summer Scramble Pack, and I would play as him more than any other character. <3
If Chrom was in the game I would hope he has a sweetspot in the middle of the sword, and wasn't a complete Ike clone, for example, Roy's Side Smash is like the first slash of Link's Side Smash. Chrom's Side Smash could be like the second hit of Link's. Even if they can't think of unique, uncloned moves, there are other ways of finding different attacks.

G-sen

Smash Rookie
I believe Lucina has some advantages over marth when it comes to dealing with characters that are good at zone-breaking. Characters that pretty much can intrude your sphere of control easily like sheik, falcon, little mac... Marth usually relies on spacing, but once the opponent gets through there he becomes much less of a threat. With Lucina you won't benefit as much from zoning, and will usually chase the opponent instead, often taking the offensive.
If i were to think of both marth and Lucina as zoning charaters, as the general public seems to think, then to me, marth would be a defensive zoner and Lucina would be an offensive zoner. Don't really know how to explain this, but i guess it's just a different mindset.
I have tried Marth, but there was just something that didn't click with me. Landing tippers ain't really a problem, quite easy in fact, but i didn't feel much difference between playing the two.
So why do I play Lucina? it just feels more fitting, not having to rely on mechanics to seal the stock.

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
I believe Lucina has some advantages over marth when it comes to dealing with characters that are good at zone-breaking. Characters that pretty much can intrude your sphere of control easily like sheik, falcon, little mac... Marth usually relies on spacing, but once the opponent gets through there he becomes much less of a threat. With Lucina you won't benefit as much from zoning, and will usually chase the opponent instead, often taking the offensive.
If i were to think of both marth and Lucina as zoning charaters, as the general public seems to think, then to me, marth would be a defensive zoner and Lucina would be an offensive zoner. Don't really know how to explain this, but i guess it's just a different mindset.
I have tried Marth, but there was just something that didn't click with me. Landing tippers ain't really a problem, quite easy in fact, but i didn't feel much difference between playing the two.
So why do I play Lucina? it just feels more fitting, not having to rely on mechanics to seal the stock.
Quoting Shay's OP from the Differences Between marth and Lucina thread that is stickied:

"4. Lucina does not have hitlag modifiers on her attacks while Marth does.
You can read up a proper explanation elsewhere, but in short Marth's sourspot attacks are made safer on shield due to a modifier that Lucina does not have, negating her extra damage advantage that would otherwise equate to more safety. Marth's sweetspot attacks are modified negatively for him, but the higher damage and shield knock back difference is pretty noticeable, still resulting in tippers/sweetspots being safer on shields than Lucina spacing at the same distance. The difference may not seem massive, 2-3 frames extra disadvantage for Lucina over Marth's sourspots, but that can be the difference between winning and losing.
Lucina is not easier to be aggressive with for this very reason."

Ironically, despite having the balanced blade, Lucina is either equivalent or worse at being aggressive than Marth. It also doesn't help that if your opponent is that close to you, you are losing neutral and have found yourself in an incredibly disadvantageous position you should avoid being in at all costs. Both characters strengths come from keeping the opponent at a distance. Neither character performs admirably up close and want to avoid being in that situation at all costs You're concern shouldn't be whether or not you can squeeze an extra percent or two out of a close range hit.

One change that could have been given to Lucina, to give her a notable advantage over Marth, would be the addition of a hitlag modifier to some of her key spacing tools. Make her moves safer than Marth's un-tipped moves, but not safer than his tipped ones which would be an actual advantage for fighting up close.

Last edited:

G-sen

Smash Rookie
Quoting Shay's OP from the Differences Between marth and Lucina thread that is stickied:

"4. Lucina does not have hitlag modifiers on her attacks while Marth does.
You can read up a proper explanation elsewhere, but in short Marth's sourspot attacks are made safer on shield due to a modifier that Lucina does not have, negating her extra damage advantage that would otherwise equate to more safety. Marth's sweetspot attacks are modified negatively for him, but the higher damage and shield knock back difference is pretty noticeable, still resulting in tippers/sweetspots being safer on shields than Lucina spacing at the same distance. The difference may not seem massive, 2-3 frames extra disadvantage for Lucina over Marth's sourspots, but that can be the difference between winning and losing.
Lucina is not easier to be aggressive with for this very reason."

Ironically, despite having the balanced blade, Lucina is either equivalent or worse at being aggressive than Marth. It also doesn't help that if your opponent is that close to you, you are losing neutral and have found yourself in an incredibly disadvantageous position you should avoid being in at all costs. Both characters strengths come from keeping the opponent at a distance. Neither character performs admirably up close and want to avoid being in that situation at all costs You're concern shouldn't be whether or not you can squeeze an extra percent or two out of a close range hit.

One change that could have been given to Lucina, to give her a notable advantage over Marth, would be the addition of a hitlag modifier to some of her key spacing tools. Make her moves safer than Marth's un-tipped moves, but not safer than his tipped ones which would be an actual advantage for fighting up close.
Thanks for your reply.
I still won't rethink my words. I honestly feel lucina being a better counter for zone-breakers. But i don't mind whether or not you find marth better than Lucina, at least as long as you don't **** on our decisions.

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
I play lucina over marth cause I have troubles killing with marth u.tilt, as stupid as it may sound, I don't recall getting a stock with u.titl with marth ever, I remember hitting 4 u.tilts, and none of them were sweetspotted even though I adjusted my attack, probably jus me doing it wrong...

anyway I prefer the "consistensy" of lucina... marth missing a tipper when I thought it would hit, sometimes messes with my head and I end up going for the wrong move...

Top Bottom