• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I love Ultimate

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Not really a competitive thing, just wanted to gush a bit.

• Combos require hard reads, and the way that damage is set up, you get a lot of damage for said reads
  • Complex tech skill that breaks your thumbs are good to master, but optional
  • That feeling you get when you lose to a guy slightly better than you ~8 or 9 times you know IRL, and look at footage looking to see what went wrong, hitting the lab/practicing online afterward, and then getting the W only by the skin of your teeth the 10th time (this might be a fighting game thing rather than an Ultimate thing, but it feels genuinely awesome when it's done in a fast-paced setting)
  • The fact that SO MANY characters are viable
  • The training mode is great. Not optimal, but the best I've ever seen in the series
  • The character roster is so big, there's almost always a character designed for your playstyle
  • It is the least jank entry in the series IMO, and there are few busted mechanics that can be exploited fully that are anti-fun
  • Nearly every character is hype to watch in tournament
  • Some matchups just feel like a game of chess and it's great (Belmonts, Snake, Duck Hunt)
  • False finishes make tournaments, as well as personal play, an almost cinematic experience
  • The stagelist. My god. The hazard switch allows for so many possibilities in a stagelist, without resorting to BS like the Lylat tilt
  • GANONDORF HAS HIS SWORD
  • The new characters added are unique not just in design, but in personality as well. Ken is that 7 year old playing mario kart when he wins and I love it.
  • Squad strike is just amazing in the sense that we have actual crew battles now
  • The online, while not perfect, allows for more challenge than smash 4, since it is semi-based than a ranked system. It allows for actual improvement!
  • We are getting a P5 character as DLC
  • Many times you will see 5/6/7 or even 8 characters in top 8, which is always cool to see
  • Melee vets joining ultimate means that we are able to see (some) matches we could only dream of in the past
  • Spirit mode is, IMO, the best story mode in the series, and the few cutscenes we do get are GORGEOUS.
  • 100%ing the game is no joke, some spirits are a pain in the butt to collect.
  • The soundtrack is LIT, and the change in what songs appear in what stage is really cool too.
  • Icees are now a welcome part of the roster, as opposed to the red-headed stepchild we've had in the past (competitively speaking)
  • Chrom says "Sorry!" when he dies
  • The balloon knockback speeds the pace of the game up, a good thing IMO.
  • PICHU IS A TOP TIER.
  • We still have at least 5 new characters and 5 new stages, as well as at least 5 new songs, ONE OF WHICH IS FROM P5, to lab and see in action in the future.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I feel the opposite about SSBU. I'm not enjoying it. It's still very janky. I'm thinking about quitting it.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
While I'm still chill with 64, I was Brawls biggest hater, Sm4sh felt off to me from the start and Melee feels about as stale as a bag of 30 year old Lay's to me at this point though I'll ALWAYS miss things such as its movement. That said, Ultimate has surpassed the other games, my glorious Melee included, in every possible way for me personally.. competitively, casually, etc. Primarily competitively I suppose, but I don't see how Melee could casually compare to Ult even on a subjective level. I didn't expect that at all, really like, at all. I hated Brawl and damned near hated Sm4sh. PM was great but.. had other problems. Ultimate being what it is was the biggest surprise of 2018, I did not have exceptionally high hopes for this game in the slightest and now I'm in love with it. It's also had a direct impact on my ability to go back and enjoy other Smash games I liked, namely 64 and Melee, because I'd just rather be playing Ultimate so strongly in comparison, which I definitely didn't expect either. It's sort of eclipsed everything, really. It's not perfect.. but I'm happy with it, I just pray patches don't ruin it.

There's some things I'd like changed, don't get me wrong. I'm not the biggest fan of ledge trump mechanics. I think at a certain percentage, trumping should go away and the other player should be able to edge hog you. I also think you should get ONE trump before you can then be edge hogged which can reset upon landing, because the trump fights on the ledge that sometimes happen are absolutely stupid and I've never liked them. If I'm being honest with you, I wish ledge trumping would go entirely, I wouldn't miss it. I don't care that L-Cancelling is gone because Ultimate took the right middle path and reduced landing lag across the board, heavily. L-Cancelling adds an arbitrary mechanical barrier to higher level play and adds nothing over reduced landing lag.. and I'm happy it turned out that way in Ult. I deeply wish they'd let wavedodging and wavelanding be a proper, real thing again. I really miss Melee Battlefield, in all its jank ass glory.. but that all said, I still love Ultimate and it's easily my #1 Smash game. Balloon knockback was weird and jarring to me at first, but the game is still jammed full of combos, tech and edge guarding so it clearly didn't hurt anything.. and now that I've grown used to it I like it and the knockback in old Smash games looks weird by comparison.

That said, people can like or dislike whatever Smash game they want to compared to other ones and that's fine. Subjectivity is a human thing. Some people liked Brawl the most, believe it or not. We're all strange sacks of flesh with our own weird preferences, and that's okay. I only say this as I find there's too much general community bashing on all ends of the spectrum, everybody be out here flexing.. no matter which game you like, we're all Smash fans, Smash players and one community. I just want to put that out there. All that said, I can understand someone preferring other Smash games and such as I said, but I don't see how someone could call Ult 'janky' as it's arguably the least jank entry in the entire series.. but I'll leave that alone.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Excellent post, it always enjoyable to see some positivity!

I also love Ultimate as well for many of the reason you might have say above, possibly my favorite fighting game of all time.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I feel the opposite about SSBU. I'm not enjoying it. It's still very janky. I'm thinking about quitting it.
I'm not at all surprised at that outcome.

I still believe that one shouldn't waste their valuable time on a game they can't enjoy, and if you've reached that point... well, you know what's best for you.

Going back to the topic, I also love this game and would rank it as my number 1 Smash game.

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I agree. I think Ultimate has flaws, but my favorite things about Ultimate are:

1. It doesn’t feel anything like the other Smash games. When I played Ultimate, it did not feel like an upgraded version of Smash 4. It felt like its own game.

2. The multiplayer modes are amazing! Squad Strike is so much fun to play around in and Smash down is slowly becoming my favorite mode of all time. Also, they brought tourney mode back. Thank You!

3. This one is a little more biased, but Palutena is amazing in this game! I was one of the few people that mained her in Smash 4 and even though I loved using her, I really wanted to see her get buffed. Even with her customs gone, Palutena is still one of my favorite characters in Ultimate and love the way she feels.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I have mixed feelings. I love local gameplay, the ammount of characters and stages and modes and how I can configure the matches.
For me, the game is the best ever for local gameplay.

But local gameplay happens only a few times in a year for me when I'm able to reunite friends.

The way I have to play it every other day of the year is Online. And online is crap. It has lag, it has a terrible ranked system, it's totally not enjoyable.

Even in 1v1 I remember playing near perfect on Smash WiiU and now I have more lagged matches even in 1v1.

Also, even enjoying local gameplay, I'm saying that for 4 player coop. For 2 player, I dont like it. I like to fight other team with my partner, and not against him, but because online for 4 players is super lagged, I can't enjoy this way of play with him, so even my "local with my partner but playing online" experience is damaged.

Last edited:
Top Bottom