• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I’m Sincerely Worried for Sakurai’s Mental Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I apologize if this topic seems a little “clickbaity,” but these are my actual feelings about this really inspirational man. Sakurai has done so much work on these games, barely even getting much in return except for a paycheck. Now, we all have work or school that makes us really tired, but it’s not just “tiring overhours,” Sakurai, and everyone else on the Super Smash Bros. development team has gone through suffering and frustration, but still manage to hold on to what they’re passionate about and stay working. Then some of us “fans” can only focus on what we don’t have, instead of recognizing all he did for us. If you look at some of the interviews he set aside time for, you would find that Sakurai is in serious pain, emotionally, mentally and physically. I don’t know him personally, but I do know that he has done amazing things, and has truly inspired me. Some of the things he went through working on this game can seriously harm somebody’s mental health and I am worried for this person. Sure, it’s okay to talk about newcomers you want, but you still have to recognize all that has been given to us fans. This is a man who literally made a remake of Street Fighter II in World of Light! So let’s all give Sakurai, and everyone who worked on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate a break, and let them decide their future.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I know many can be so-so on GT in the Post "sans is Ness" days, but his latest video saying how WoL is a metaphor of him expressing his frustrations from working on Smash for years has had me sharing similar thoughts this past week.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I just hate that he gets blamed for ever neg thing when it mostly not his fault.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes if something gets fans you bound to get toxic kinda like Pokemon and Verlisfy but seriously i think if someone can somehow say to those fans, guys Sakurai done all those thing you hate him because "oh Goku isn't in the game" or "Waluigi is assist"

Arthur97

Smash Master
Not getting much except a paycheck...it's his job, that's what he's supposed to get. If he's so stressed he can either not come back or delegate more.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Not getting much except a paycheck...it's his job, that's what he's supposed to get. If he's so stressed he can either not come back or delegate more.
he goes above and beyond what he is supposed to do

volbound1700

Smash Master
1. I think his comments about working every day applied only to Melee (and perhaps Brawl). I am sure he delegates heavily today... especially with a team of over 100

2. As people pointed out, it is his job and his job is generally fun. Imagine working 60 hours as a programmer or maintenance crew member. Actually, if I worried about anyone's mental health, it would be the US Presidents lol. They never get a full break and their every decision is criticized by the media and their opponents.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
1. I think his comments about working every day applied only to Melee (and perhaps Brawl). I am sure he delegates heavily today... especially with a team of over 100

2. As people pointed out, it is his job and his job is generally fun. Imagine working 60 hours as a programmer or maintenance crew member. Actually, if I worried about anyone's mental health, it would be the US Presidents lol. They never get a full break and their every decision is criticized by the media and their opponents.
1. That’s incorrect. Sure, there may be a huge development team, but it’s also a huge, time consuming game. If you would just look at recent interviews, he says it’s a miracle when a Smash Bros. game comes out, and that he even had to work so hard he had to use a track ball instead of a mouse. I don’t know where you got this thought that only Melee was difficult, but it’s really not.

2. Sure, it may be fun to be programming at first but I’m not entirely sold on the 60 hour work thing. Everyone on the development team is way over worked then that, and these negative comments, while it may not be true, tell me you don’t have respect for people who worked tirelessly and was put through a lot of pain only to go unrecognized.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’m talking about how not just Sakurai, but everyone on the development team for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (I apologize if that wasn’t clear enough), went above and beyond and spent countless hours on a game that brings people together and will be remembered as a masterpiece, only to have people complain about what’s not in it. I don’t think we should have the right to tell Sakurai his game isn’t good because it’s lacking one person if we don’t know the struggle he’s been through to make this game.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I’m talking about how not just Sakurai, but everyone on the development team for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (I apologize if that wasn’t clear enough), went above and beyond and spent countless hours on a game that brings people together and will be remembered as a masterpiece, only to have people complain about what’s not in it. I don’t think we should have the right to tell Sakurai his game isn’t good because it’s lacking one person if we don’t know the struggle he’s been through to make this game.
Shill more, holy ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom