• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why hasn't anyone else made this yet? Mr. Game & Watch to return!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm only really making this since no one else has, some can take over if they want to make a flashier op. But Mr. Game & Watch needed his own thread, the most retro of all retro characters.

What changes do you want if any? Last game gave him a slight redesign, I wonder if this one will change it at all

Morbi

Scavenger
There is a pretty obvious reason, nobody likes him. They just pretend to because he has been around since Melee. But realistically, no one would miss him. The only change I would want is his removal. But since that is about as unlikely as him actually developing a fan-base nearly two decades later, they could start by giving me unlimited bacon and a higher chance at a good hammer pull. The only two moves that anyone knows him for unless they are 3 and love his jab because it looks like how his fans react to his inclusion.

Oh, and Pac-Man is the most retro of all retro character. Unless you are not including successful characters upon the basis that they do not rely solo on their retro nature. In which case, congratulations, Game and Watch.

I take that back, I do like him, as my punching bag. Do not get me wrong, R.O.B. could replace him easily, but you can never go wrong with a spare.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm only really making this since no one else has, some can take over if they want to make a flashier op. But Mr. Game & Watch needed his own thread, the most retro of all retro characters.

What changes do you want if any? Last game gave him a slight redesign, I wonder if this one will change it at all
I don't think he'll get much in terms of character redesign, both visually or move-set wise. And honestly I'd rather they not change him. You can pull off some stupid fun stuff with him. Both casually and competitively. He does need to be buffed a bit though. Honestly, the only thing I really want is for his Forward Smash to go back to it's Melee/Brawl version. Just felt better to hit with. Maybe a Final Smash change, but I wouldn't know what to. Also, thanks for finally making this thread.

There is a pretty obvious reason, nobody likes him. They just pretend to because he has been around since Melee. But realistically, no one would miss him. The only change I would want is his removal. But since that is about as unlikely as him actually developing a fan-base nearly two decades later, they could start by giving me unlimited bacon and a higher chance at a good hammer pull. The only two moves that anyone knows him for unless they are 3 and love his jab because it looks like how his fans react to his inclusion.

Oh, and Pac-Man is the most retro of all retro character. Unless you are not including successful characters upon the basis that they do not rely solo on their retro nature. In which case, congratulations, Game and Watch.

I take that back, I do like him, as my punching bag. Do not get me wrong, R.O.B. could replace him easily, but you can never go wrong with a spare.
As someone who mains both R.O.B. and G&W: Your opinion has been noted and disregarded. Haters gonna hate.

Now can somebody show this negative Nelson to the door? And make sure it hits him on the way out. Please and thank you!

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Love Mr. Game and Watch. Just hoping he has better frame data. He was a blast to play with in Brawl. In my opinion the template of how everyone should have been balanced in that game.

Not much you can do to change him conceptually otherwise. I want more freaky color alts however.

Last edited:

mclegend101

Smash Rookie

I have him as my main since melee

1st of all people do like him and 2nd he shows what gaming started at as many people think the start of video games are arcades but this shows to , mainly the new generation, that they started earlier and it also shows the beginning of Nintendo’s succes.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I have him as my main since

1st of all people do like him and 2nd he shows what gaming started at as many people think the start of video games are arcades but this shows to , mainly the new generation, that they started earlier and it also shows the beginning of Nintendo’s succes.
I am definitely glad that he has at least someone to love him; however, for me, you need a little bit more than being old.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
G&W was never the top of my like list myself. I think it's his general lack of facial features and emotion that just paint him as lifeless. The best memory I have of him was him and Peach's interaction in Brawl in Subspace. Otherwise I tend to ignore him, but I do feel he belongs in his own special way.

Unlike :4rob:, still can't really "like" it or feel it fits into the roster.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
G&W was never the top of my like list myself. I think it's his general lack of facial features and emotion that just paint him as lifeless. The best memory I have of him was him and Peach's interaction in Brawl in Subspace. Otherwise I tend to ignore him, but I do feel he belongs in his own special way.

Unlike :4rob:, still can't really "like" it or feel it fits into the roster.

I feel that through his movements and sound effects, you can "create emotion" for G&W. It doesn't need to be complicated emotion or anything, but I honestly have fun just playing as him because of all the stupid fun stuff you're able to do with him.

He's a fun character, but everyone has their own style. And, of course, G&W can't fit them all.

And hey, don't go hating on R.O.B..

mclegend101

Smash Rookie
I am definitely glad that he has at least someone to love him; however, for me, you need a little bit more than being old.
The thing is the start of Nintendo’s success needs a bit of representation and if it wasn’t for smash most people wouldn’t what a game and watch is and would therefore be forgotten. Furthermore, Sakurai puts a lot of effort to his characters and won’t just chuck them away, have you seen all the small references?

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Anybody else own any of the Game & Watch Gallery games and knew some of Game & Watch's references when he showed up in Melee? I can't be the only one.
I owned G&WG1 and 3, and even though I spent most of my time in the modern modes, I at least played enough of the classic modes that he wasn't a huge mystery to me.
It's always been a pipe dream of mine that a medley of the modern songs would be added at some point. I have a lot of nostalgia for them.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So this finally got moved lol.

The changes will definitely take a while to get use to.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

I really like him! He's my favorite character in the game! I play him because of his weird and wacky moveset, and i think that's what makes him fun! No need to run around the forums being all pessimistic.

Cantplaythesolo

Smash Rookie

Mr. Game and Watch has been my co-main since Brawl along with R.O.B. I'm offended.

Nah for real though, as long as he's got his frying pans I'm all good.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, I guess I was wrong about my prediction that G&W wouldn't get much of a character redesign. Honestly, I have mixed feelings on him changing to look more like the original games for each of his moves. It's not something that will deter me from using him, but it is something that will take time to get used to.

On another note, should we name each of his new "forms/characters"? Or do we just keep the names the same as the name of the move?

paintbucket

Smash Rookie
I feel like G&W has been a staple since... Melee? Would be odd not to bring him back, imo.

He's always been one of the more underrated characters, I feel. He might appear as gimmicky to some, but I think he's really fun to play as once you get used to his sort of unique style, if that makes sense.

jadster12

Smash Cadet
game and watch has been around for a long time most people would of forgotten him thats

why he's still in the game too be remembered i can admit he sucked in melee may have been mid tier in brawl but he's still a fun character to play as as a game and watch in from brawl i know how hard it is to use him but i still enjoy playing with him just because he's not top tier or not super popular like meta knight sonic etc doesn't mean he should be undermined in anyway just enjoy the character have fun and don't hate on him no matter how small there will always be people who love him

Top Bottom