• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why has R.O.B. not gotten a stage yet and will he ever get one?

1FC0

Smash Lord
R.O.B. should have a stage representing him. Nintendo tries to lump him together with things like Mario Bros. and acts like anything retro is R.O.B.'s stage but that is wrong! R.O.B. is not just retro, R.O.B. has his own series with it's own identity. R.O.B. is from the Robot series and the Robot series has had multiple games and a huge fanbase with people like me in it who have collected every single official Robot game that has ever been made.

The Robot series includes memorable characters like Hector and Vector and has many memorable places like Hector's lab and that black void with tiles from Stack-Up. Why did they not use Duck Hunt Duo as representative of retro? Duck Hunt Dog is not even important in his own series because he merely pulls the ducks dead bodies up in order to celebrate their death and laughs at his owners failure. Duck Hunt Dog only features in one game of his series and is a nameless side character in that game! And the ducks are the opponents! The Robot series has twice as many games as the Duck Hunt series and R.O.B. is part of the main cast in (or out since he is hardware) all those games!

Last edited by a moderator:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
R.O.B. should have a stage representing him.
I agree, but...

the Robot series has had multiple games and a huge fanbase with people like me in it who have collected every single official Robot game that has ever been made.
How many games is that? 2 or 3? The most well known of which is Gyromite and by VGCharts has sold 1.32 million copies.

The fanbase is not huge.

Why did they not use Duck Hunt Duo as representative of retro? Duck Hunt Dog is not even important in his own series because he merely pulls the ducks dead bodies up in order to celebrate their death and laughs at his owners failure. Duck Hunt Dog only features in one game of his series and is a nameless side character in that game! And the ducks are the opponents! The Robot series has twice as many games as the Duck Hunt series and R.O.B. is part of the main cast in (or out since he is hardware) all those games!
Because Duck Hunt is one of the best selling NES games of all time (>28 million copies). This is a really bad comparison to make.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Because Duck Hunt is one of the best selling NES games of all time (>28 million copies). This is a really bad comparison to make.
Actually this makes it a great comparison since one of the best selling retro games is much more fitting to represent retro as a whole.
And nothing would go to waste since the Duck Hunt series is a very limited and generic series so being retro is about all that it has going for it.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Actually this makes it a great comparison since one of the best selling retro games is much more fitting to represent retro as a whole.
And nothing would go to waste since the Duck Hunt series is a very limited and generic series so being retro is about all that it has going for it.
No, it's a bad comparison because a Duck Hunt stage is much, much more recognisable than any stage ROB could potentially get.

1FC0

Smash Lord
No, it's a bad comparison because a Duck Hunt stage is much, much more recognisable than any stage ROB could potentially get.
It is a great comparison because it is recognizable only as a retro stage and nothing more. The Duck Hunt stage reminds people of their days as a kid with the NES but it does not remind them of how great the Duck Hunt franchise was.

So they should have Duck Hunt Duo as representative character of retro and his stage as representative stage of retro and then give R.O.B. his own stage to represent the Robot series for real R.O.B. fans like me who do not think that "a Duck Hunt stage is much, much more recognisable than any stage ROB could potentially get". I find the levels from Gyromite and Stack-Up more recognizable than I find my mother.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
R.O.B.'s been my main since Brawl, and I'd love to see a Gyromite stage or something, but to answer your questions of "Why" and "Will he," the answers are "He's not popular or significant enough," and "No."

R.O.B. is significant to Nintendo's history as the "Trojan horse" that let them enter the North American video game market right after it crashed in the 80's. Without him, Nintendo would just be marketing another regular game console, which the public and retailers had grown skeptical of. No doubt he was prevalent throughout the early marketing, and he was included in all bundles of the system early on, but after the Nintendo brand became a household name and all doubts of the game market vanished, he was no longer necessary, and he didn't remain popular. So he is significant to the NES and Nintendo's history, and without him, Nintendo likely wouldn't be where it is today, but his relevance and significance occupy a very small context in history.

A Gyromite stage might be possible and interesting, but that's still pretty unlikely. Since Gyromite and Stack Up require R.O.B. to play, the amount of people who have enjoyed or can enjoy them is narrower in scope compared to some other singular classics, like Balloon Fight or Wrecking Crew. You can't really play Gyromite or Stack Up on the Virtual Console even if they made them available. Making a stage based off of a game with one of the largest entry barriers in gaming doesn't make much sense, unfortunately.

To be honest, though, we're lucky R.O.B. was in Smash 4 at all. He's an awesome and unique character, but he's probably one of the least popular in the cast due to not having a whole lot of relevance. It's sad, but that's the reality of the situation. I'm fully expecting that in Smash 6 and beyond, we won't be seeing R.O.B. again.

I own a R.O.B. with all the Gyromite accessories, and I've played it multiple times, and I think it's fun. But I can understand that not everyone would like it, and compared to the intuitiveness and simplicity of Duck Hunt, it's not hard to see why R.O.B. didn't last. I've thought that it'd be cool for Nintendo to release a sequel R.O.B. for one of their new systems, which would be much more efficient with new technology, but that'd be pretty risky nowadays, after the accessory gimmick craze is dead, and most gamers just want the game and a controller.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I do not think that Nintendo cares about how playable the stages would be in their own series. Even Dcuk Hunt requires a CRT TV and Nintendo Scope. And I do not think many people still play GaymenWatch games.

I think they are not making a R.O.B. stage because they do not want to acknowledge the Robot series. They act as if R.O.B. is part of Smash. In SSBB his logo was based on the SSE logo and they gave him a background story which seemed to contradict his own games. Suddenly R.O.B. where the robots from the Isle of the Ancients instead of from Professor Hector's lab.

Though possibly you are right and they are treating the Robot series poorly because it was just meant to be a troyan horse. Maybe that is why they are treating R.O.B. as if his series is Smash or SEE instead of Robot.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
R.O.B.'s been my main since Brawl, and I'd love to see a Gyromite stage or something, but to answer your questions of "Why" and "Will he," the answers are "He's not popular or significant enough," and "No."

R.O.B. is significant to Nintendo's history as the "Trojan horse" that let them enter the North American video game market right after it crashed in the 80's. Without him, Nintendo would just be marketing another regular game console, which the public and retailers had grown skeptical of. No doubt he was prevalent throughout the early marketing, and he was included in all bundles of the system early on, but after the Nintendo brand became a household name and all doubts of the game market vanished, he was no longer necessary, and he didn't remain popular. So he is significant to the NES and Nintendo's history, and without him, Nintendo likely wouldn't be where it is today, but his relevance and significance occupy a very small context in history.

A Gyromite stage might be possible and interesting, but that's still pretty unlikely. Since Gyromite and Stack Up require R.O.B. to play, the amount of people who have enjoyed or can enjoy them is narrower in scope compared to some other singular classics, like Balloon Fight or Wrecking Crew. You can't really play Gyromite or Stack Up on the Virtual Console even if they made them available. Making a stage based off of a game with one of the largest entry barriers in gaming doesn't make much sense, unfortunately.

To be honest, though, we're lucky R.O.B. was in Smash 4 at all. He's an awesome and unique character, but he's probably one of the least popular in the cast due to not having a whole lot of relevance. It's sad, but that's the reality of the situation. I'm fully expecting that in Smash 6 and beyond, we won't be seeing R.O.B. again.

I own a R.O.B. with all the Gyromite accessories, and I've played it multiple times, and I think it's fun. But I can understand that not everyone would like it, and compared to the intuitiveness and simplicity of Duck Hunt, it's not hard to see why R.O.B. didn't last. I've thought that it'd be cool for Nintendo to release a sequel R.O.B. for one of their new systems, which would be much more efficient with new technology, but that'd be pretty risky nowadays, after the accessory gimmick craze is dead, and most gamers just want the game and a controller.
R.O.B. himself is much more relevant than his games are, even for people nowhere near old enough to remove his debut, due to a long string of references (Kirby’s Dream Land 3, Pikmin 2, various Warioware games, F-Zero GX, Mario Kart DS, Tomodachi Life, ect.) But yeah, RIP Professor Hector, he only got in one of those listed references... I can see why his games are considered irrelevant.

There’s also the possibility that Sakurai seriously considered a stage from one or both of R.O.B.’s games, but decided that the gameplay just didn’t work out.

I think, if Nintendo ever decides to rerelease R.O.B.’s games, the most realistic and practical way to do it is to create an accompanying mobile app that features a virtual R.O.B. that connects wirelessly to your console and imitates what the real one does. They could even have it be compatible with the augmented reality thing on some newer devices so that it looks like it’s actually there.

1FC0

Smash Lord
There’s also the possibility that Sakurai seriously considered a stage from one or both of R.O.B.’s games, but decided that the gameplay just didn’t work out.
And after making that decision, he promptly included 75M and Mario Bros.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
It's confusing to me. He really needs his own themed stage. I think it is possible to take one of the Gyromite stages and use it for a stage. They could even just construct a stage in the style of Gyromite but make it playable not that it makes any difference like the aforementioned Mario Bros stage. I would even take fighting on a Giant R.O.B. and the stage platforms are the blocks used in Stack-Up or fighting on a giant Gyro.

On the Ultimate website, every character has a stage visible in the background. R.O.B.'s is blank. There are those that believe that this might indicate that he'll get his own themed stage. I want to believe.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
I just find it weird that R.O.B. is the only character that doesn't have a proper home stage.

Gyromite would be a perfect fit and it would fit a spot that's always been empty for some reason.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
You could actually count the Nintendogs Living Room stage as R.O.B.'s stage. That's where a R.O.B. would realistically be.. right?

Or if you have him in your bedroom, it would be Gamer.

There you go! :) R.O.B. got himself TWO stages in Ultimate. Nice!

1FC0

Smash Lord
You could actually count the Nintendogs Living Room stage as R.O.B.'s stage. That's where a R.O.B. would realistically be.. right?

Or if you have him in your bedroom, it would be Gamer.

There you go! :) R.O.B. got himself TWO stages in Ultimate. Nice!
No because those stages are not from R.O.B.'s series. Placing R.O.B. in a room does not make that room part of R.O.B.'s series. The lore of the Robot series does not change depending on where you keep R.O.B.

A Robot stage would have to refer to something from the Robot series, like being a Gyromite or Stack-Up stage. The best that we have now is Port Town Aero Dive since that stage at least references R.O.B. but it is not good enough because it is a F-Zero stage and does not incorporate any of the lore of the Robot Series (R.O.B. is not a huge robot in a giant town in that series).

BTW now that I think about it I wonder if the giant R.O.B. in Port Town Aero Dive was the reason that Captain Falcon fought a giant R.O.B. in the SSE.

Top Bottom